Page 3 of 28 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 ... LastLast

Thread: Life drawings of androids

Thanks

Bb&b

Razorb - Thanks for the comments. Much more anatomy work for me.

Here's the inked version of the axe pic, as the cartoon.
    Take a look at my series of in-depth critiques, like this one of Salvador Dali's hidden portrait of Lincoln.

Scott's Sketchbook: Check out my sketchbook. Will swap C&Cs.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks

More studies for the portrait

Not too happy with these, actually. I based the first on a posterized version of the picture down to 2 channels.
    Take a look at my series of in-depth critiques, like this one of Salvador Dali's hidden portrait of Lincoln.

Thanks

Last night's sketch: WTF?

This isn't done, but it's last night's work of about 45 minutes. Will keep going and eventually ink it, but I'm working on patience.

Thanks
    Hey fellow Marylander.

I've noticed that when drawing in the cafeteria I'm more likely than usual to get strangers coming up to me to start a conversation. That happened yesterday and we got to talking, and I wound up giving career advice to a doctor. :/
    LOL! That stuff used to happen to me on the commuter train. It makes me really nervous about drawing in public.

Anyway, interesting story, I think your style suits it. This guy IS creepy, but that was an awesome idea for the eyes, don't think I've seen it before:
    http://farm1.static.flickr.com/162/3...d923ef0b_o.gif

That last one's creepy too. Ugh, eyes....

You've got some great studies here, can't wait to see more. It's obvious you're not afraid to challenge yourself. Might I also suggest doing some facial studies? Gestures of people's expressions, or even sit in front of a mirror and draw yourself doing various expressions (hah, I need to do this too).

And on inking - you mentioned consistency, but what kind? Actually, I think you might want to try more variation in your line weights! Thinner lines where there's a light source, thicker lines where there's shadow. It's not a must, this is really more of a style thing, but I find line variation can really make a drawing more dynamic.

Also, what technique are you using for inking? I've recently been experimenting with india ink and watercolor brushes... used to illustrate on 8.5"x11" paper before so this wasn't possible, but I've since moved to larger paper. I love it, I've found a new appreciation for inking.

Okay that's it from me great work, keep posting!

Thanks

I'd give my eye teeth for one of those

nilaffle: Thanks for the comments. I guess messing with eyes does have a tendency to get creepy. Like the Corinthian in the Sandman comics. *shudder* On this one I tried to do the line weight varation better.

Here's an inked version. I paid attention to darkening the lines away from the light source, placement of blacks, and using a series of short lines perpendicular to what would have been the main line. (Forehead wrinkles, for example.)

Last edited by scottmcd; March 23rd, 2007 at 08:28 AM.

Thanks

Trolls!

This is from a couple of months ago, but I've been meaning to post it here anyway. It's from a web comic I did based on a bedtime story I made up for my daughter. I wasn't concentrating on the art so much, but I liked this panel.

Thanks

Lunchtime study

There's a good anatomical drawing site at the Atlas of Human Anatomy. You can zoom in on them quite a bit if you have Quicktime.

This is the work of just over half an hour during lunch today. The proportions are off - I should have blocked out the whole figure first. Instead I started from the head and kind of just kept going. I also want to be more clear on how the muscles wrap over and around each other. I'll do a few sketches from Bridgman's constructive anatomy book for that.

Thanks

Started class this week

I'm trying an online drawing class. It started this week. I'm a bit skeptical, but hopefully the feedback is good. The first couple of assignments deal with getting a good outline of things and breaking them down into their basic shapes. As part of it, I did a couple of "facial expression gestures," as nilaffle suggested.

Thanks

Tree practice

This is a tree outside that hasn't gotten leaves yet. I didn't draw every last branch but instead tried to get the major branches and formations. I used a grid and measured with a ruler at one arm's length to get overall proportions and some specifics. I also used a straight edge and curves since I was concentrating on breaking things down to their base shapes.

The first version is the pencils, and the second is inked. I used two nibs - a Hunt 102 (small) and a Hunt 512 (I think - large). Light source is from the right, so larger lines are supposed to be on the left. I think I could enhance the depth by shading completely some of the branches in the back.

Thanks

Another dad study

Here's another study of my dad in prep for the ink drawing. I still think the mouth is a little off, but it's getting better. Part of the point of this exercise was to see how using a grid would affect the drawing. Overall it helped, and I'll remove it once it's inked.

I'm going to print this as light blue and ink it several ways, then drop the blue out in Photoshop.

ETA: I redid both eyes and the mouth. I also added more highlights to his right side and put more shadow on his left - he should be squinting a bit more than looking angry. Second version below is actual size.
    Last edited by scottmcd; March 27th, 2007 at 07:56 PM.

Thanks
    i like your sketches.. i like the guy with the eyball in his mouth that was really neat.. keep up the great work!
    The true work of art is but a shadow of the divine perfection." - Michelangelo

I Can Kick Your Ass At Halo

Thanks
    nOtoRiuZ PiG: Thanks for the comment. Copy and paste makes the capitalization of your name much easier.

Here are three inked versions of the pencil above. I printed it blue and then removed the blue (mostly) afterward. For the final version I think I want to hit an inking approach between 1 and 2.

Thanks
    Cool studies Scott! And y'know, this is weird, but I think I prefer #1 to #2. They both look good, but I like how the shadows and the hair are darker. The high contrast and simplicity of the design make it more interesting. But the hatching on 2 is good, cleaner than 3, so a mix of the two should produce a winning result. Keep the updates coming!

Page 3 of 28 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 ... LastLast