Sketchbook: Life drawings of androids - Page 2

Join 500,000+ Artists

Its' free and it takes less than 10 seconds!

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following

I'd give my eye teeth for one of those

nilaffle: Thanks for the comments. I guess messing with eyes does have a tendency to get creepy. Like the Corinthian in the Sandman comics. *shudder* On this one I tried to do the line weight varation better.

Here's an inked version. I paid attention to darkening the lines away from the light source, placement of blacks, and using a series of short lines perpendicular to what would have been the main line. (Forehead wrinkles, for example.)

Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by scottmcd; March 23rd, 2007 at 08:28 AM.
    Take a look at my series of in-depth critiques, like this one of Salvador Dali's hidden portrait of Lincoln.

Scott's Sketchbook: Check out my sketchbook. Will swap C&Cs.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Trolls!

This is from a couple of months ago, but I've been meaning to post it here anyway. It's from a web comic I did based on a bedtime story I made up for my daughter. I wasn't concentrating on the art so much, but I liked this panel.

Take a look at my series of in-depth critiques, like this one of Salvador Dali's hidden portrait of Lincoln.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Lunchtime study

There's a good anatomical drawing site at the Atlas of Human Anatomy. You can zoom in on them quite a bit if you have Quicktime.

This is the work of just over half an hour during lunch today. The proportions are off - I should have blocked out the whole figure first. Instead I started from the head and kind of just kept going. I also want to be more clear on how the muscles wrap over and around each other. I'll do a few sketches from Bridgman's constructive anatomy book for that.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Started class this week

I'm trying an online drawing class. It started this week. I'm a bit skeptical, but hopefully the feedback is good. The first couple of assignments deal with getting a good outline of things and breaking them down into their basic shapes. As part of it, I did a couple of "facial expression gestures," as nilaffle suggested.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Tree practice

This is a tree outside that hasn't gotten leaves yet. I didn't draw every last branch but instead tried to get the major branches and formations. I used a grid and measured with a ruler at one arm's length to get overall proportions and some specifics. I also used a straight edge and curves since I was concentrating on breaking things down to their base shapes.

The first version is the pencils, and the second is inked. I used two nibs - a Hunt 102 (small) and a Hunt 512 (I think - large). Light source is from the right, so larger lines are supposed to be on the left. I think I could enhance the depth by shading completely some of the branches in the back.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Another dad study

Here's another study of my dad in prep for the ink drawing. I still think the mouth is a little off, but it's getting better. Part of the point of this exercise was to see how using a grid would affect the drawing. Overall it helped, and I'll remove it once it's inked.

I'm going to print this as light blue and ink it several ways, then drop the blue out in Photoshop.

ETA: I redid both eyes and the mouth. I also added more highlights to his right side and put more shadow on his left - he should be squinting a bit more than looking angry. Second version below is actual size.

Last edited by scottmcd; March 27th, 2007 at 07:56 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    i like your sketches.. i like the guy with the eyball in his mouth that was really neat.. keep up the great work!

The true work of art is but a shadow of the divine perfection." - Michelangelo

I Can Kick Your Ass At Halo

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    nOtoRiuZ PiG: Thanks for the comment. Copy and paste makes the capitalization of your name much easier.

Here are three inked versions of the pencil above. I printed it blue and then removed the blue (mostly) afterward. For the final version I think I want to hit an inking approach between 1 and 2.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Cool studies Scott! And y'know, this is weird, but I think I prefer #1 to #2. They both look good, but I like how the shadows and the hair are darker. The high contrast and simplicity of the design make it more interesting. But the hatching on 2 is good, cleaner than 3, so a mix of the two should produce a winning result. Keep the updates coming!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Back, light, kid

Nilaffle: Thanks. I agree and am going to try to hit a place with the high contrast and just a tiny bit of shading. I may do more detail in the background.

Today's updates are some sketches on anatomy of the back, from Bridgman and a couple of my own based on that. Then is a lighting & shade practice, and finally my daughter held still long enough for me to sketch her.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Cool project you have going on! I like your inks - keep doing those studies though, they'll pay off :]

http://www.sakuhatakka.com/ - image portfolio

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

The Sleeper

Thanks Spats!

Here are a couple of panels and pieces of panels for the Arabian Nights comic. The first one is a door opening. The second one has three people: the Caliph (holding the torch), Masrur, and the sleeping Abu Hasan. My first take on the Caliph was so hideous that I whited him out. That didn't quite work, so I did a second version of him on a different page and spliced them together.

Last edited by scottmcd; April 3rd, 2007 at 08:48 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Drafting

OK, time for a serious rough draft of the helicopter pilot picture. I'm taking my time with this, so what we've got here is an initial blocking out with a grid. For reference, I'm also showing the original (actually, a cropped version of it).

ETA: More detail work on the picture.

Life drawings of androids

Last edited by scottmcd; April 8th, 2007 at 08:04 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Lights

A quick lighting study of one o' them model hands. Single light source in this case.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey, I noticed you posted in my SB 10 years ago but I'm saying thanks now anyways I've been pretty inactive in that thing. You've got a lot of sketches in a short amount of time which is great, I'd say the best way to improve so keep at it. As almost every jerk on this site will say, do more studies from life, work on doing quick gestures of figures to capture the rhythm and balance of the figure, look at the art of people that are on a higher level than yourself on a daily basis, surround yourself with art, look at someone else's art and ask yourself "how do I do that?" and never stop if you want to become better. These things I hear on CA probably more than anything else but thats because they're true just keep on going and you'll get where you want .

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Happy Zombie-Jesus Day!

Kvick: Thanks. You should keep going too.

I updated the previous topic for my dad's picture with the pencils as they are now. I have to move the right hand (our left) up just a bit - or at least the top of it. At this point I've toned the paper where there's foreground or mid-ground. The background is white. Though it's not there in the picture, I'm leaning toward darkening the background around him to produce more contrast in the finished version.

For this message, I'm attaching a life-study of a woman at an Easter gathering we went to today. This was probably 15-20 minutes to pencil and then about a half-hour to ink. I think I made the back foot too dark - probably should have cross-hatched rather than completely blacked it out. Any thoughts? (BTW - her baby is due next week.)

After that are a set of doodles with the brush-pen. No pencils for these, they're just knocking around. The worm was an attempt at Wormie from Andy Runton's Owly series. If you haven't seen it, check it out at andyrunton.com. Not only is he a good artist, he's a great visual storyteller. His comics use almost no words, but when my daughter finished the first Owly book tears had tracked down her face. Can't recommend it highly enough.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Brain Droppings

I've been having a great deal of difficulty getting through to the sketchbook lately, so I hope this update works. There are four pictures.

1. An update to the pencils I'm working on for my dad's picture (above).

2. Texture practice with the brush. These are doodles mainly, and reduced to about 3/4 size.

3. Figure practice a la Bridgman, also doodles with the brush.

4. Pencil drawing from when I'm too tired.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Inked version of the pencils.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

First Life Drawing Session. :)

I went to my first life drawing session today, so here I am posting the results. Nilaffle pointed me to the sessions, but she apparently wasn't able to make it. blu_grrl was there though, so I got to meet her. (Hi blu_grrl!)

First up are four gestures. I have trouble getting proportions right, especially in just five minutes. Hopefully I'll get better at that. Following those are two drawings of the same pose from two different angles. I didn't realize he was going to resume the same pose after the first 45 minutes, so I moved. Rather than move back, I just did a new drawing. The shoulder doesn't join right on the first one.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey Scott, thanks for stopping by! It was great meeting you at the session. Your drawings turned out great, especially the long poses.

I will have to get one of those pens you showed me this morning. I really like the quality of your lines in your ink work I'll have to give it a try sometime.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Nice Sketchbook. Great ideas. Ive seen alot of improvement from the beginning, especially on lines and proportion. Heres a link to some of [B]Kevin [/B]Chens figure drawings, awesome learning experience.http://www.characterdesigns.com/inde...page=tutorials

Here are the Loomis anatomy books free on the web.
    http://fineart.sk/index.php?cat=1

Here are some articles by animator Glenn Vilppu on everything just about.
    http://mag.awn.com/index.php?ltype=C...&column=vilppu

Doing great, and hope these links help out.

"Imagination is more important than knowledge"- Albert Einstein

Eric wants to LEARN! Sketchbook

23. The Following User Says Thank You to Envisor For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Fairy Gothmother vs. Lady Cottington

Envisor: Many thanks for the comments and articles. They should keep me busy for a bit.

---

If you don't know who Lady Cottington is, you should. Be sure to look inside the book.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    nice!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Can I borrow Jim Carrey's face?

erwangyang: Thanks.

---

Here we have two sets of face/expression gestures. The first I left as penciled, the second I inked as well. These are from references found in the book "Facial Expressions." The ones that inked were done this morning while my daughter was in piano lessons at TFE in the morning.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Sunday Life Drawing

We had the same model as last time. I only lasted from 10:00 to 12:00. My concentration was shot after that. This time I did the gestures while he did the short poses. Then, when he settled in for the long pose I did several gestures from different angles and then filled them out a bit. Here we go:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Really awesome how you keep improving with the anatomy studies!! Oh yeah, and the guy with the eye in his mouth...I never saw anything like that. That was creepy! I liked it.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Busy week

Unfortunately, it busy with things besides drawings. Not bad things - just other things. It was still bothering me though that I haven't been drawing. So, I finally had a lunch to myself so I cranked this out. It's not the greatest, but it's something.

The woman's face comes from the Facial Expressions reference book, and I added the hand myself, which is why it sucks. I'll be getting to hands, though. I'm trying to use thick, dark lines to establish the outlines. There was no specific lighting source for this one. I don't think I got the eyes in the mask to pop the way I wanted them too. I probably need to go bigger for that.

I plan to hit the life drawing session Sunday morning if my uncle can watch my daughter. My wife is going to an all-day Lord of the Rings movie-fest. I'd like to go to, but I'd rather draw and not be out so late. (All 3 movies, back-to-back, starting at noon.)

Finally, I'm having trouble getting the attachment in the first post to show up as an thumbnail on the Sketchbooks forum page. There was a network error early this week that seems to have frelled it. Now it shows up as blank, no matter what I have attached to the first post.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

More masking

What's up with all these masks? Not sure, but there are some story ideas floating around.

This is this evening's work. As usual, I inked to soon after finishing the pencils. Had I waited, I'd have fixed a few things in the image. You know, put the eyes on the same eyeline or added a touch more volume to the back of the head. As with the last one, there's not a strong light source. I realized that I put the reflection highlights in the eyes in the wrong place if the light source is coming from the right, which it's supposed to be based on line width.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    JazzW - Thanks for stopping by and for the comments.

Sunday again, so I was able to get to another life drawing session this morning. I still find gestures a bit nerve-wracking, but not so much as the first time I tried them. The first set is the gestures of the five minute poses, slightly reduced. Then come the first two angles of the long post, followed by the third angle. I stayed there a bit longer and finished it out a bit more. I'm still trying to concentrate on linework and making sure that they're in the right positions and proportions.

I've also started now on the actual drawing of my dad's picture. I won't be posting the step-by-steps here, though once the pencils are close to finished I'll probably post them in the critique boards.

Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 ... LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 1