Sketchbook: Life drawings of androids - Page 4
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Page 4 of 13 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 LastLast

Thread: Life drawings of androids

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Early Stages

CHOW 74 got cancelled, but it was going to be "Ghastly Apparition." The current one, "Demonic Pirate," doesn't do much for me, so I think I'll keep working on the one I was going to do for the apparition.

My idea here is to do a brush and ink drawing, with everything that you can see through the ghost being in rendered pencil with shading. Here's a WIP. I'm still working out what should be in the background and what to do with the ghost's face. At the moment, it's supposed to be fairly mask-like. I had a ref for the ghost, and not for the guy lying on the floor.

Attached Images Attached Images  
    Take a look at my series of in-depth critiques, like this one of Salvador Dali's hidden portrait of Lincoln.

Scott's Sketchbook: Check out my sketchbook. Will swap C&Cs.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Apparition

There are a number of things wrong with this, but I'm finding it interesting enough to keep going. There are several tangents, for example. I like, however, the effect of th exaggerated line weights and the pencil inside the ghost. I'm still deciding whether to do a background. Even an abstract pattern that guides the eye from the upper left down toward the center of the apparition's crouch would probably help the composition. So here's WIP number 2.

Take a look at my series of in-depth critiques, like this one of Salvador Dali's hidden portrait of Lincoln.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Ghastly Apparition Final

This is a failed experiment, I think.

At least, there's a lot I don't like about it and a lot I learned from it. It's the first time I tried to do a cross-hatched background, and I don't like the way that came out at all. I did it with the brush and was way too coarse with it. It's also an experiment with reduction. I'm posting the full-sized, half-sized, and quarter-sized versions. I think the half-sized came out the best of the lot. Anyway, at least it's done now and I can work on other things.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

More life drawing

Every time I say I'm not going to make it to life drawing session, it turns out that I do. Well, not next week - we're going to southern VA to visit my in-laws. Unless, of course, plans change.

For today's session I focused on pencil only and on values. I also got a couple of additional pencils that I used - a 4b and a 6b. Before this it has been primarily mechanical pencil. First up are the gestures, and then the long pose.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Heads

Some face studies/doodles from last night. They're a bit stylized, but I think the top left one suffers from the chopped off syndrome anyway. I like the one in the lower left corner and will probably try inking it.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Great stuff! Thanks for the comment on my book!
    Also thanks for the link to the Tutorial online... I am reading it right now and it's super informational. I think everyone should read that just for reference. Again thanks! It was a big help

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Arrow Puppets in love

WIP for the Puppeteer CHOW. Will ink it tomorrow. Composition-wise, I'm planning to have a black background diagonally coming in from each side toward their hips. White background on top, black on the bottom. Any quick suggestions?

ETA: After some good comments in the CHOW thread, I'm going to add the other leg to the guy. The other comment is harder to fix now, so I'm not going to on this one - namely that they're static poses. I think that's more true of the guy. I may try another version of this later that has both of them being more into the embrace. Here's version 2. And then the final, and because it's required for the chow, the outline version.

Last edited by scottmcd; June 15th, 2007 at 10:23 PM. Reason: Add another WiP

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I couldn't get to the life drawing session today, but while at my in-law's I was able to do this sketch of my sister-in-law's mother-in-law - one of those relations that people usually just group into the overall heading of "kin." I'm reasonably happy with it since it actually looks like her.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Ink & rendering

Lunch practice today was to do an ink version of the pencil portrait I did yesterday. Did it work? No, I don't think so. While I understand what cross-hatching is, I don't think I really understand how and when to use it. Does anyone have any suggestions for learning more about this kind of thing? Practice, practice, of course - and I will. I think I need to take up the earlier suggestion of just doing basic objects with all kinds of rendering techniques.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Ice Druid

I'm considering the CHOW this week: an Ice Druid. I did this as a quick thing at lunch today to work out a possible approach. I'm not sure, but I think he's a lush.

The smudges are a result of erasing the pencils too soon after inking. Must learn patience!

ETA Thursday's lunch progress. After some earlier thumbnails, I blocked this out at lunch today. I'm putting it over in the CHoW thread for comment, but wanted to stick it here too. Friday's lunch cleaned up the foot and leg, arm and robe, and other details. It's about ready to ink, I think. Saturday - Pencils are done.

Last edited by scottmcd; June 23rd, 2007 at 12:26 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Ice Druid Final

Here's the final of the Ice Druid, posted over in the CHoW thread. I used actual brush and India ink for the staff and background, my regular Aito brush pen (which is darker) for the figure, and a technical marker for the trim and a few touch ups.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    hey scottmcd you are working a lot.i have a comments on the ice druid: try get a general feel of the figure before drawing details, make some general forms and if you don't know how something looks search for references and look to your own body(like hands for example).the head is good made but you have some problems with the left arm and left hand.for the composition i think it could help a less symetrical background, but this is maybe a personal taste. take all this as a suggestion.
    keep the good work and have fun

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Fossil Skull

DIMAGYAN: Thanks for the comments. I did have trouble with the left arm and hand, but didn't really have time to find a good reference.

---

So here's the idea for a values and rendering exercise. I drew a fossil skull from reference, outlining everywhere there seemed to be a value change. That's the first image. I then color-shifted it to blue lines.

The second image is the practice. In the six boxes at the top I put what I'm going to use for 6 values, from dark to light. Then, I use those patterns to do the skull. Then I scan back in and remove the blue parts (this didn't work as well as I'd like, but oh well.)

I'm going to repeat this with different rendering techniques and in different media (graphite being the obvious other choice at the moment). This one was cross-hatching with the brush-pen. Next up will be stippling, I think. Or maybe patch-hatching.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

More skulls

Today's lunch's handiwork. The top one is done with brush and the bottom with different pencils: 6B, 4B, and Mechanical. I did a pencil version last night, and I'm still not happy with the range of values I'm getting. It seems a bit muddy.

The second picture below is the same as the first, but this time I used the Levels function to make the background white and expand the value range a bit. Finally, the third picture is the top skull reduced by half to get a sense of what reduction does to it.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

100+ Year Old Maple Tree

I sketched the trunk of a maple tree at my sister-in-law's house today. The house was built just over a hundred years ago, and this tree was already there.

I sketched out the form with mechanical pencil, but then started in with the brush for the texture. I still have a long way to go on controlling the line consistency. I scanned it in with the black and white setting. Think I like how that came out.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,277 Times in 551 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    line is the first thing everyone learns to use when they draw. now you have to start using shape and mass. even if you're still using lines to mark out a shape, think "shape" in your head, not "outline."

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Over the Edge

ccsears: Thanks. I'm not always sure how to translate that into practice other than more practice. I do try, but you're not the only one to say that so I'll keep working at it.

---

Here's the current WIP for the Character of the Week. This is to be a Navigator. Here's the description: There's a small island somewhere in the Mediterranean, off the coast of Italy. Strange things happen on this island. (If you look behind Sad Mary's Bar and Girl you might find an alien. He was an observer once, but he fell into the party scene and now is just a wino.) The uninitiated require guidance in this place where the psychic is ordinary and a ticket to the ethereal plane comes cheap. That's where the navigator comes in. Whether you want casual sightseeing of the supernatural or an expedition to capture a psychovore, these folks are your guide.

Last edited by scottmcd; July 5th, 2007 at 09:58 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Navigators of the Mind

Decided to do a new post for this one. Still working on the chow.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Partially inked navigators

There are a number of things subtlely wrong with this piece that I'm not going to be able to fix. The perspective of the wall doesn't match the people, for example. I shortened his legs and feet since that was off, which now leads to the God's Eye at his feet being in the wrong place. It should really be in front of his legs, but I'm not going to fix that I think.

That said, I'm still having fun inking it. Since it's already mucked up a bit, that leaves me more free to experiment with inking techniques.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

CHOW 79 Final: Navigator Character Class

final version:

There's a small island somewhere in the Mediterranean, off the coast of Italy. Strange things happen on this island. (If you look behind Sad Mary's Bar and Girl you might find an alien. He was an observer once, but he fell into the party scene and now is just a wino.) The uninitiated require guidance in this place where the psychic is ordinary and a ticket to the ethereal plane comes cheap. That's where the navigator comes in. Whether you want casual sightseeing of the supernatural or an expedition to capture a psychovore, these folks are your guide.

Each navigator uses an item to focus their transition to other states. While there, their tattoos serve as signposts and tools. The labyrinth confuses foes and diverts their attacks. The sephira makes it easier to move to other places. And, of course, the compass points the way to your goal.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Shading

I've had very little time to practice this week. People keep sitting down with me at lunch, which is nice socially but means I don't get to draw. I did today, though, so here's the practice I did from Bridgman's Life Drawing book, the Light and Shade section.

BTW - I'm going on vacation for the next couple of weeks and will be offline. One of the two destinations is Comic-Con!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Practice

Finished the first part of vacation and am now getting ready to head off to Comic-Con. During a trip to the mountains with family, I tried doing Brigdman like figures, trying to get a sense of weight and mass. That's the first attachment below. Second is a set of heads on which I was working mostly on planes. Finally there is a page from the Arabian Nights comic - a story within a story. More will follow, though this isn't a finished for publication piece.

Only one of the figures was reffed, and none of the faces.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Smile Couple of Comic-Con Drawings

Comic-Con was great fun. Here are a couple of drawings I did while there. Some gestures and comic pages are also coming soon.

For the figure, I chose to leave some of the shading as pencil rathern than ink it all in, and I like the effect. I finished the inking and then did the face on Saturday night at the "drink 'n' draw" at the Marriott next to the hotel. At least a hundred artists gathered to hang out, sketch, and chat. Both of these are from my head.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Quick sketches of passengers in an airport

Done while waiting for my flight back from San Diego.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Cross Hatching Experiments

Here's some work on cross-hatching, shading, and faces. The first one is a doodle from work. I don't normally post these, but I like how this one came out. I basically started from the eyes and went from there, without blocking out the whole thing first.

Next up is a guy eating. I borrowed a couple features from some people at the Taco Bell where I was drawing, but overall it's not done from reference. Neither is the third one, which I did at lunch today. Again, I borrowed some features from other people in the cafeteria. One woman was reading a newspaper at a funny angle, and that's what inspired the pose. But, she moved after a few seconds so I didn't really get to ref it.

Finally is a sketch of Patricia Tallman, who played Lyta Alexander on Babylon 5. I got a signed picture of her at Comic-Con. There's plenty wrong with it, but some things that I like too. I thought the hair came out decently for a cross-hatching experiment. Overall though, I think it's funny that the one I'm least happy with I did from a ref. My excuse is that I was very tired and I was looking at the picture from an angle rather than straight on.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey Scott! This is Patricia. Thought I should stop by and yell, "HI!"

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

More Arabian Nights

creativesmugbug - Hi! Glad you had a good Comic-Con too.

---

Here's page 2 of the comic, though without dialog.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Dr. Who - WIP

I posterized a picture of Dr. Who down to 4 channels and am using that as my ref. I started this morning...

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Dr. Who Two

Total time here is probably about 1.5 hours...

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    That last portrait is a little awkard, the hand seem to be bigger then face, and it might need some resizing.

Ev'sSketchbook for the lazy minded but willing!
    Help an artist, leave a critique.

Page 4 of 13 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 2