Cthulhu WIP
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thread: Cthulhu WIP

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Cthulhu WIP

I'm getting close to finishing this painting and I think I could use some critiques at this point. I'm posting the initial sketch as well as the latest progress. I'm not sure whether I want to keep the lighthouse from the sketch or not. On one hand it gives the painting some scale, on the other hand it might be a distracting human element and compete as a focal point. I also need to finish the wings, rocks, waves and the tentacles above the water surface. Any other comments would be great as well.

~KLT

Oh, and the color is a bit too yellow in this photograph- there are blue ambient reflections that I'm afraid just can't be seen here because they look like they are the same green color as everything else.

My Illustrated Lovecraft Bestiary project
    Deviantart account
    My ConceptArt Sketchbook
    For freelance and commission work: h.manzee (a) gmail dot com
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    i did a little paintover of your scene to fix some of the problems i felt it had. i feel this helps the image with composition and focus and scale. the little light house i think is a great idea and should be used for sure. normally in your image im fighting between the creature which is super bright, the sky which is also very bright and the glowing water, also bright. and all of them are right next to each other. the sky i knew HAD to go. its simply too bright and steals too much focus from the creature. i darkened the forground a bit to set it apart from the rest of the scene a bit more. i desaturated much of the foreground and some of the water, leaving less glowing area. i feel that helps make the glow feel more central instead of filling the whole lake with light.

i added another lightsource, the moon. your image doesnt have a clear lightsource light is just kinda coming from everywhere and doesnt say alot. so i tried to focus it more, aswell when i darken the shadows your reflected light from the water becomes all that much more aparent. and i added more gloss to cthullu to give him more of a 'wet' feeling from coming out of the water.

the paintover is by no means perfect and its simply my feelings on the image. and these changes dont need to be made on this image exactly but should be kept in mind later. the biggest problem here is the struggle for focus and the generic lighting imo. the creature and rocks are well done, youve got a good base it just needs tweaking. i didnt change any of your image just set some stuff apart.

EDIT: after looking at mine again i notice the water is just too bright, and i didnt include any of the reflection of the moon in the water. my bad.

Attached Images Attached Images  

3. The Following User Says Thank You to DanJohnCox For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks for your thoughts and I appreciate your repaint as well. I see what you mean about the contrast. Fortunately the actual painting has more contrast than the photo I posted, but perhaps it still is not enough. I have probably been trying to add too much ambient light instead of focusing on a more dramatic point of light. I think you're probably right about keeping the lighthouse too. I have been trying to figure out where best to put it and I think I like your choice of location for it.
    Thanks again!

My Illustrated Lovecraft Bestiary project
    Deviantart account
    My ConceptArt Sketchbook
    For freelance and commission work: h.manzee (a) gmail dot com

Members who have read this thread: 1