My first noobish try (little update!)

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Hello everyone, like i said in some previous post i am totally new to this forum and art in general... i always loved to draw but never got to practice enough and never had the chance to take classes

I reached this community because of fate i believe, since i was browsing the net with nothing in mind and i found this incredible place.

I hope (university exams permitting) i'll have the time to post some sketches (i plan on buying a wacom sooner or later, and start practicing digital painting) but tonight while studying i had a little pause and threw this on a piece of paper.

I reckon there are some major mistakes in anatomy, but i cannot tell precisely where... so much time i didnt hold a pencil to draw something, and speaking the truth, i've never been able to draw faces (more or less like anything else "real")

I hope i can have some feedbacks from you people, i really admire all your works and i hope one day i will be able to improve my skills at least half of yours!

(obviously no reference used)

Last edited by Knight_; July 13th, 2003 at 07:10 PM.
    Knight_
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Don't worry Knight, if you have the right energy and the constancy to go on, you will see your progresses that will improve day after day.

This portrait is your starting point. Learn anatomy, the body's structure, light and shade. Draw more from life and you will improve.
    If you never had take a class why not join to Middle Class ?

"Mistakes are the portals of Discovery" (James Joyce)

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    right he is ;D
    this picture actually looks quite stylized imo. But all you really need is practice. if you have trouble finding things to draw just look in the reference section or join the daily sketch group, mind you, im also just a noob here so

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Wow, thank you very much Cashmere and zeroe!

I still hadn't explored that part of the forum, in the next days i hope to find time to browse through all those classes and post something more "studied"!!!

Thanks again!

Knight_

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Lightbulb

my apollogies for this very awfull repaint, but it should give you the general idea. Basicly you should do as cashmere said: learn anatomy, light & shadow and perspective.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Wow, really no apologies, this is really giving me an idea of where my big problems are!
    I'm still struggling over 3 university exams right now, but when i'm done i will start a full time practice over tutorials and real life sketching! (also hope i will get myself a wacom, so i'll have an awful lot of things to practice with)

Thanks! ;D

Knight_

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    A wacom is not very essential if you're just beginning. Alot of the practise you can do should be done from a book, or from life using a pencil n' paper.

The paintover that menno did is just one way of constructing the face. I'd suggest learning how to draw the face from the inside out (starting with skull, muscles and then skin) and from there, you'll figure out your own preferred method of roughing out a face.

[][][][] DRAW EVERYDAY [][][][]>

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Otherside: thanks for the useful advices
    The fact i'd like to get a wacom is basically because digital painting interests me more than pencil&ink one, tho i admit i would better give myself some sketching skills on paper rather than beginning on puter.
    The fact is i do websites (well, i just started) and i was thinking i can do better and faster things with a tablet... however, is just a caprice

Tonight i was watching tv, they were passing a movie on the old english navy soldiers, so i tried to figure one of them out (i believe i did another messy drawing, especially because i couldn't watch the character for more than 2 seconds in the shot i wanted to reproduce)
    Anyways, tear this one apart, i'd like to see again my big mistakes

I believe i always tend to do very long faces, tho i always try to apply the method Menno showed before... i have to practice!!! :bash:
    Thanks again!

Knight_

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I definitely see an improvement in proportions aswell as in the shading here! Some areas still need some improvement i think, i think the skull should be a fair bit higher, as the eyes arent quite in the middle, also the nose is a bit off in perspective, but you are definitely a quick learner ;D

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks a lot! In the next days i'm gonna study some body proportions from a book i got... then i will try someday to do a selfportrait... i will keep you people posted, prepare the crits! :chug: :p

Knight_

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.