Art: Finally taking shape...

Join 500,000+ Artists

Its' free and it takes less than 10 seconds!

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Finally taking shape...

THANK THE ART GODS!

I had this in another thread, but it really changed a lot and has little to do with how it started, so I figure I'd start a new thread

It's finally taking shape! Dear god, after a lot of problems, I'm finally getting into the sculpting stage and away from the smack and hope it takes shape stage.

I'm a bit stuck on the right arm, left shoulder, and how to finish off the mask... any suggestions?

Finally taking shape...
    Finally taking shape...
    Finally taking shape...
    Finally taking shape...
    Finally taking shape...

the pics and they're a tad confusing sorry..

I'll post more as I can, I still have a very unfinished painting as well... and the due date is tomorrow afternoon for the competition! AHHhhh!

Crappy stuff by me!
    Please check it out and drop advice, tell me what I'm doing wrong, and suggest things to learn!!!
    http://www.conceptart.org/forums/sho...723#post428723
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    wow, thats a shit load of sculpy!
    maybe post a picture or drawing of what you are sculpting, so we can get an idea of what its supposed to be. As of now, it looks ike a mess.

hellllooo

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    wow, thats a shit load of sculpy!
    maybe post a picture or drawing of what you are sculpting, so we can get an idea of what its supposed to be. As of now, it looks ike a mess.

hellllooo

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Haha yes I know what you mean...

I had a pic, but I decided to stray to far and figured I'd make it up as I go.

Here's some more progress...

Think something similar to a Strogg-ish thing with flesh and armor fused...

I bet that didn't help.

Finally taking shape...

Finally taking shape...

Finally taking shape...

I was forced to take the arms off due to oven size, but I've got a good idea of how to get them back on... I hope.

Crappy stuff by me!
    Please check it out and drop advice, tell me what I'm doing wrong, and suggest things to learn!!!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Really need some help... I've baked the main body and it's looking good, except that I have a dent in the head, and a piece is bent and cracking...

What do you guys do to fix cracks?

Crappy stuff by me!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Nice planes on the mask.

I have not worked with scupltey as much as most people on here, but I think you can fill the cracks with sculptey and refire it. It should seal the cracks.

As for the rest of the work, I think you should just relax and go with the flow.
    You will have a lot of problems first before you get into your groove.
    Try to fill the armature with foil or paper as much as you can before applying clay. Also, on hands , you want to folow the planes of the hand and not what you think it looks like. So far you are getting it out of whack. Try to look at your hand and follow the planes of each phalanx and of the corpals/metacorpals.(sp?) After you got all the planes down , redefine the shape to what you think your creature's hands should look like. the bone structure is what you are looking for in a hand. I can't comment on the rest much, since I lack knoledge myself. Maybe if you sculpt each muscle as a coil and not just slap a piece of clay on you will get better results. However, whichever way works for you is the best way.

Please continue posting your wips. I am looking forward to seeing what you will get with this.

K

-> Dream In A Dream <-

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey, thanks. I ended up not finishing near as much as I wanted to, and was still putting washes over it when I ran out the door. I'm honestly pretty surprised, because I thought I did terrible, and coupled with the fact that some parts are still primer grey, bombed the area competition. Turns out that out of 1500 students that can submit up to two pieces, and a much lower number (my teachers were shocked at how few were being taken to state as well as the grading process) I managed to be one of the 50 pieces to go.

I'm shocked because some people I thought should go didn't. I think there's a huge difference between art that is done in the US school system, or at least the approach, and the approach to art from people in this community. But hell I'm babbling and words can't compare to pictures... so I will pick up the sculpt after school and take some pics. Sadly the arm held long enough to get judged and then decided to break, so I'll have to figure out how to fix it before state.

Crappy stuff by me!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Looking good, sculpy is notorius for cracking, best way to repair cracks is to use two part epoxy putty or aves sculpt.Then sand it down when its set and you should be ok to go.you can use epoxy glue as well but you might have some trouble painting over it when set.Hope u can repair your broken arm ok.
    If you haven't already have a look at Smellybugs sculpy tutorial, this guy is amazing and i learnt so much from him.Keep posting
    http://www.conceptart.org/forums/showthread.php?t=18287

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.