witch

Join 500,000+ Artists

Its' free and it takes less than 10 seconds!

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thread: witch

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

witch

Hi guys!
    This is picture that i made just for fun ...
    A few evenings after work for relax...i think i go too far with bright colors at the end, but that's it
    I used photoshop.
    Any c&c are welcome!

witch

Name:  image_25_01 thumb.jpg
Views: 484
Size:  35.3 KB

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    For such a warm coloured picture she seems awfully cold.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Burnt_Sienna
    For such a warm coloured picture she seems awfully cold.

HAHAHA! Bit nipply in here ehh

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    nah, i think the bright colors make this pic. the colors and lighting are really good, specially with the gown.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    thanks guys!
    About the expression i want to be cold, but now u mentioned i think it's really
    don't fit with the whole picture!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I'm not sure if I agree w/ Infidel. I think the highlights and shadows on the gown really detract from the pic. The way I understand lighting, that huge fireball is the source of light for the entire scene. And it seems to be full of yellows and oranges. So shouldn't the highlights on her gown be lighter yellows and oranges and not white as it is now? Where's the white light coming from? And I think the shadows contain a bit too much green, particularly towards the bottom. I'm trying to learn how to do lighting properly right now, so let me know if I'm mistaken!

I love your linework, though (but the right hand seems a little overly skeletal and long). Did you use a reference?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    The way I understand lighting, that huge fireball is the source of light for the entire scene. And it seems to be full of yellows and oranges. So shouldn't the highlights on her gown be lighter yellows and oranges and not white as it is now?
    I didnt see it that way, but after taking a double take, i see the the fireball is more to here left in her left arm. therefore the really bright oranges and yellows are mainly hitting her left side which we dont see, and her right side would mostly be composed of reflected light and shadow, in which case the reflected light would allow the white of her dress to be seen more naturally. =)

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    But wouldn't the reflected light be yellows and oranges too? Because I'm just thinking: the light's hitting her on the left side and, since the light is yellow/orange to begin with, it will stay yellow/orange when it bounces off her white dress (except lighter since the yellow/orange is mixed with white when it bounces). So wouldn't the highlights still be a really light yellow/orange instead of pure white?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Infidel:
    I agree with u.
    stylus
    I dont know is it clear, but from light ball starting some beams who carry their own light and she hits places which are in dark side of the image.
    Thanks for coments!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Idk, its really hard to pinpoint what the lighting would be like.... I mean stylus has a point when he says about the reflected light being light yellows and oranges, but if you were to change all of the gown's white highlights to more yellow and orange i think you would lose the viewer as to what the gown is, (for example... is it a more seethrough-ish yellow gown, or is the gown a white clear dress which looks really yellow due to the light?)

It would be really hard to say for sure what her dress is if such light was put in place. Nothing against ya stylus, the thought behind it is totally logical. all i'm saying is that the viewer would lose color of the gown completely.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I think yo have a great start here, your major problem is definitly the light source. You have a strong radiating light from the ball, but also lighting from the environment itself. You have to clearly distinguish the two.

What will definitely help is paint the woman using only the light thats coming from the environment and ignore the light from the fire for now. Use only midranged darks and lights for this. The darkest darks and lightest lights you want to build using the fireball as the light source.

When you paint the gown, think clearly what kind of material it is. That will influence how the light is reflected. Make sure you look up references to work from for that.

I suggest you use a single tone background for now and keep it on a separate layer. This should help you build your lights. Also try to avoid using black/gray for your shadows. It make it look flat and out of place next to your nice vibrant warm colors. Try to use a complimentary hue for that. Also think about what kind of shadow you are painting. Is it a cast shadow which is darker with crisp edges or a form shadow. Where do you have reflective light on your forms. I see you are trying to think about all this but you try to do it all at once. Step by step is the key.

Besides the lighting some anatomical things are a bit off but it should be an easy fix for you. Her neck seems awfully thick. Slim it down a little it will add to the femininity of your character.

Her upper torso especially where your latissimus dorsi comes forward underneath her right arm is too far back(left) and makes he look as if she has a hunchback under that right shoulder. Thats definitely something you want to fix.

I hope it helps, keep it coming!

Si.

"no am just beeing sarcastic. or maybe not?"

Pirate Monkey Sketchbookies

http://www.cgpad.org

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Infidel The gown was white in the begining but wen i put a light source
    i decide that is much better if some parts of it disappear in the shadows...
    and i go a little further with that.
    In the next of my works i'll do like Gameonaut say - i'll do thing step by step and i'll hope achieve a better result!
    Thanks for coments!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    oh, i knew the dress was supposed to be white, i was using the questions as an example to strengthen my point with the lighting, but i'll look forward to more of your works.

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.