Page 28 of 29 FirstFirst ... 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 LastLast

Thread: LAAFA 3-Year Accredited Entertainment Art and Fine Art Programs

Thanks

Sneak Preview of Rey Bustos's FREE Lecture at LAAFA 3/11/12

Reservations strongly recommended for LAAFA's upcoming SPRING OPEN HOUSE. Sunday, March 11, 2012. To find out more information and to reserve your spot, please click here.

.LAAFA 3-Year Accredited Entertainment Art and Fine Art Programs
    LAAFA 3-Year Accredited Entertainment Art and Fine Art Programs
    Last edited by LAAFA; March 7th, 2012 at 01:19 AM. Reason: update
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Hi,

I was wondering if you guys at LAAFA had an intensive one year program for professionals, sort of thing. I'm currently working as a concept designer, not a major studio or anything. I sort of fell into it from being a web designer by mistake. I'm sure I can keep practicing on my own and work my way up while working, however, I'm really keen on taking a year off work and focusing solely on sharpening my basic skills to the absolute max, 24/7 practice kind of thing, surrounded by talented artists (students/teachers). I have a very good idea of what my education should consist of generally, and it focuses mainly on technique, and therefore does not match the general requirements of a traditional degree, which I'm not interested in.
    I'm mainly looking into places in and around LA and so naturally LAAFA looks interesting.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated

Thanks
    Hello,

Thank you for your post. We offer a 3-Year BFA & Atelier Certificate Program and Extension classes for students who are unable to commit to the 3-Year Program. I think you may want to look into taking several classes in our Extension Program. This will allow you to study with our amazing instructors and give you some flexibility. We can definitely guide you in selecting classes that will meet your needs. If you haven't been to LAAFA, I would suggest coming to our Open House this weekend (March 11th). You can take a tour of the school and I will be there to chat with you. We also have a couple of lectures/demos for the day. Please RSVP if you would like take advantage of them. In addition, if you have any additional questions, please feel free to email me at hmiller@laafa.org.

Thank you and I hope to see you on Sunday.

Holly

Thanks

Steven assael workshop at laafa 3/29-4/1

Steven Assael, the New York artist hailed by The Art Newspaper as “the foremost figurative painter of his generation” is coming to LAAFA!

He will be leading a workshop, open to all levels, Thursday thru Sunday 3/29 to 4/1 from 10:00 AM to 5:00 PM daily. See the supplies list and more details on how to register here.
    Steven Assael was born in New York in 1957. He attended the Pratt Institute and presently teaches in New York. The focus of his work is the human figure, rendered in glowing relief by gentle beams of warm and cool light.
    Steven Assael’s work has been exhibited in solo exhibitions at museums from Chattanooga to Seattle and at galleries throughout the United States. Works have been chosen for curated group exhibitions at the Naples Museum of Art, FL; the Arkansas Art Center, the Evansville Museum, IN; and the Philbrook Museum of Art, Tulsa, OK; among many. Paintings and drawings can be found in the permanent collections of the Art Institute of Chicago, the Kemper Museum of Contemporary Art & Design, Kansas City; The Columbus Museum, GA; and many other museum and distinguished private collections.
    Last edited by LAAFA; March 8th, 2012 at 12:38 PM.

Thanks

Sample laafa student artwork

Here are samples of our recent graduate's work.

Find more great student work in the LAAFA BFA Gallery.

Alexandria Douziech

Eric Pedersen

Last edited by LAAFA; March 9th, 2012 at 01:52 PM. Reason: update

Thanks

Full Time Program - Figure Sculpting Class w/ David Simon

Full-time students - Sculpture 1 with David Simon

Through the re-creation of plaster casts from LAAFA’s cast collection students will learn to connect the study of the illusionistic creation of form to the actual physical articulation of those forms. Here are some examples of our students working on their project.

Apply for LAAFA's full-time program or extension classes here!

Thanks

Ecorche Class at LAAFA with Rey Bustos

Ecorche' (ekorshay) Fr. Anatomical figure of an animal or human with the skin removed to show the location and interplay of the muscles
    See a video of one of Rey's ecorche' figures on his website!

As part of LAAFA's Full-Time Program, first year students work with leading artistic anatomist Rey Bustos. By constructing a clay model on wire armature, students master the complexities of human anatomy via Rey's hands-on approach. This 3D understanding of the human form translates into improved realism and fluidity in students' 2D artwork.

Apply for LAAFA's Full-Time Program here: http://reg125.imperisoft.com/LAAFA/S...istration.aspx

LAAFA 3-Year Accredited Entertainment Art and Fine Art Programs LAAFA 3-Year Accredited Entertainment Art and Fine Art Programs
    Last edited by LAAFA; March 29th, 2012 at 06:01 PM. Reason: Automatic CAPS removal in title

Thanks

LAAFA Introduces Mauricio Abril to Entertainment Art Faculty

Students in LAAFA's Full-Time Program can select an emphasis in Entertainment Art. The Entertainment Art Curriculum teaches both essential traditional skills, and their application to digital production. Upper level Full-Time students may choose electives according to their specific interests in entertainment industry work.

Mauricio Abril offers LAAFA students a wealth of insight from his work for Hasbro, Inc., Wideload Games, and Disney Interactive. His blog gives a sample of his teaching approach.

Mauricio describes his work with LAAFA students:

"I enjoyed playing the Batman: Arkham City game so much that I decided to create some concept art for what would conceivably be a similar game but for Superman instead. I did these as 'demos' for the Intro to Visual Development class that I just finished teaching over at the LA Academy of Figurative Art. They weren't real-time demos but more week by week demos to show my students the process of taking an idea/story and bringing it to life visually through the pipeline of character design, prop design, environment design and ending with pitch art."

LAAFA 3-Year Accredited Entertainment Art and Fine Art Programs LAAFA 3-Year Accredited Entertainment Art and Fine Art Programs LAAFA 3-Year Accredited Entertainment Art and Fine Art Programs

Thanks
    LAAFA's UNLIMITED UNINSTRUCTED WORKSHOP PASS is a fantastic opportunity to develop your technique and build a portfolio while working from a live model. Click here to register. For only $185.00 for the entire Spring Quarter, it's the best deal for students who want to work from a live model outside of a class environment.
    Choose as many workshops as you like from the following schedule:

TUE 7pm-10pm
    WED 7pm-10pm
    THU 7pm-10pm
    FRI 10am-1pm AND 10am-3:30pm
    SUN 10am-3:30pm

Thanks

Ecorche/3D Anatomy w/ Rey Bustos - Week 1

Rey Bustos is the wonderful kind of teacher who makes you feel like you are getting your money's worth out of his class - down to every last penny! Last Sunday, April 15th, Rey's Ecorche/ 3D Anatomy class at LAAFA started with students arriving 30 to 60 minutes BEFORE the start of class so that Rey could help us all get the main portion of our armature wire bent into shape.

Rey expertly turned yard after yard of straight wire into the basic frame for a 16" replica of a human statuette or ecorche. In French, ecorche means "flayed" and refers to the fact that a finished ecorche sculpture looks like it has had the skin removed so you can see the muscles and bones.

Our ecorches were only just beginning to take shape. All along the way, Rey guided us in measuring, bending, and wrapping our wire.

After the wire supports for the arms and legs were bent into place, the next task was bending wire to support the clay ribcage we will be building in future classes. Rey guided students through the first four ribs and assigned the remaining eight as homework for students who couldn't get them done in class.

Rey provided illustrations of the human ribcage from all angles to guide our wire wrapping and bending. Even though I thought I knew what a ribcage looked like, looking at the diagrams showed me the human ribcage in more detail that I imagined it could possibly contain.

I realized that there is a big gap between knowing enough to merely identify a ribcage, and the intimate understanding that comes from a tactile experience of its form. Like an eager student aboard Ms. Frizzle's Magic School Bus, I can't wait to see what part of the body Rey will introduce us to next week!

We finished class by securing our wire armatures to 12" wooden boards with double pointed tacks. Students with time to spare were able to start rolling their Super Sculpey into sheets to allow it to firm up a bit for next week's class.

Week 1 of Ecorche/ 3D Anatomy was a lot of work, but the results were satisfying.

We went from this: LAAFA 3-Year Accredited Entertainment Art and Fine Art Programs To this: LAAFA 3-Year Accredited Entertainment Art and Fine Art Programs

I'll be posting every week as the Spring 2012 Ecorche/ 3D Anatomy class with Rey Bustos progresses, so stay tuned for weekly updates!
    Last edited by LAAFA; April 25th, 2012 at 07:11 PM.

Thanks

Image: The Librarian by Giuseppe Arcimboldo

Books Needed for Art Library

Please consider donating your art books to LAAFA's art library coming this fall! We are having a book drive. From now until July 1st, donate your art books to receive a raffle ticket for FREE summer classes! Each book donated gets you one raffle ticket. Raffle winners will be announced July 2nd.

You can drop off your books at the LAAFA office during business hours:

Mondays -Thursdays 10 a.m. to 7 p.m.
    Fridays 10 a.m. to 5 p.m.
    Saturdays - Sundays 9 a.m. to 10 a.m.

Raffle Items:
    • One Free Instructed 8-week class (select classes)
    • One Free Uninstructed Workshop Pass
    • Three Free One Day Instructed class (select classes)

Thanks

The LAAFA Experience Video

It's here! This video is a compilation of interviews with LAAFA's instructors and students in the 3-year Degree and Atelier programs in Fine Art and Entertainment Art. Visit www.laafa.org for more information about all of our programs.

https://vimeo.com/46306695
    Last edited by LAAFA; July 27th, 2012 at 02:43 PM. Reason: update

Thanks
    I took clases at PCC and ArtCenter, would they transfer to the entertainment design program?

Page 28 of 29 FirstFirst ... 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 LastLast