Page 13 of 29 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 ... LastLast

Thread: LAAFA 3-Year Accredited Entertainment Art and Fine Art Programs

Thanks

Response to Burning Chrome,

Quote Originally Posted by burning_chrome View Post
    StephenJ,

You wouldn't happen to know approximately how many LAAFA students opt for a customized sessions curriculum because time/financial restrictions won't allow for the atelier program?

May I ask if you could please post up what a current full-time atelier schedule consists of so potential and entering students will have an idea of what to expect day-by-day for 1st, 2nd, and 3rd year?

Thanks
    First- In response to StephenJ:

Hi Steven - Thanks for the feedback. I think it is best for Cindy to answer your specific questions having to do with how other students have handled the admission into the atelier program.

In response to Burning Chrome,

Most people in sessions have a somewhat customized curriculum. They often meet with an administraitor to find out what class would help their needs. The number of classes is up to the person's financial standing. For instance, if you can only afford to take two classes, then (after viewing your portfolio) we recommend which two classes would help you the most. Unfortunately, these classes do not count as credit if you choose to join the full time program.

For info about the current schedule, call Cindy. She will be able to give you an idea of what the hours are in the average atelier quarter. Call 818.708.9232.

-Alex
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    About how much is the housing around laafa?

How much does the average student spend on living cost a month?
    Sketchbook
    Looking for mentor

Thanks
    Can I ask you something about the Laguna program?

First, does it apply to international students? And can I choose any major or minor as I choose? And is it possible that it suddenly ends before I can finish the three years' study?

It would be nice if you have some document about it though.

Anyway, also about the portfolio, do you accept digital pieces? Will digitals be valued less than traditionals?

Here's what I plan to submit for the portfolio. Is it good?

Charcoal:
    Nathan Fowkes study
    Group still life(something like a glass, a plate, bread, apple, fork, spoon) or drawing of leather boots or both
    self portrait
    Prud'hon study
    quick figure drawings from life
    drawings of my own hands and feet

Digital:
    one still life from life
    maybe one figure painting from photograph

ARGHHHHH, sorry, so many questions.

Thanks very much if you can answer all these questions.

Anyway, thanks very much.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by burning_chrome View Post
    StephenJ,

You wouldn't happen to know approximately how many LAAFA students opt for a customized sessions curriculum because time/financial restrictions won't allow for the atelier program?

May I ask if you could please post up what a current full-time atelier schedule consists of so potential and entering students will have an idea of what to expect day-by-day for 1st, 2nd, and 3rd year?

Thanks
    I don't know if we're suppouse to post our current schedule but I don't think anyone will care if I post an old one. So here's one from late last year. To be fair though this was a really busy schedule.

MONDAY
    11am-3pm A2 Head Drawing 3/ Vadim Zang 10 sessions 40hrs instructor/model
    4pm-8pm A2 Grisaille Figure 1/ Uninstructed 10 sessions 40hrs uninstructed/model Start 10/27

TUESDAY
    11am-6pm A2 Grisaille Cast Painting 1/ Richard Morris 10 sessions 60hrs instructor/no model
    7pm-10pm A2 Color Theory/ Sergio Sanchez 10 sessions 30hrs instructor/no model

WEDNESDAY
    11am-3pm A2 Head Drawing 3/ Uninstructed 10 sessions 40hrs uninstructed/model
    4pm-7pm A2 Still Life Painting 1/ Uninstructed 10 sessions 30hrs uninstructed/no model

THURSDAY
    10am-2pm A2 Grisaille Figure 1/ William Rodgers 10 sessions 40hrs instructor/model
    3pm-6pm A2 Still Life Painting 1/ William Rodgers 10 sessions 30hrs instructor/no model
    7pm-10pm A2 Composition 2/ Bill Perkins 10 sessions 30hrs instructor/model (last 3 sess)
    FRIDAY
    No class.

SATURDAY
    10am-3pm A1/A2 combined Animal Drawing/Dif. Day/David Colman 10 sessions 40hrs instructor/no model

18 Sunday.
    No class.

Hope that helps.

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to StephenJ For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanks Stephen. Yikes, busy indeed!?! LOL, now I feel completely underwhelmed in terms of actual class-time involved with a customized sessions approach. So, may I ask, are you on your 2nd or 3rd year of the atelier program?

Thanks

Anyone Stuying at the LAAFA in Van Nuys?

So, I live in Portland, OR right now. I've been looking at the LAAFA for a few months and I've decided I want to go for it. I've received the brochures from the school with all the tuition and class schedules. I just have a couple of dumb questions from anyone who studies there:

1) From my understanding, the LAAFA does not accept scholarships or grants, only Student loans. yes? If there are any assistance options available that I am not seeing, can anyone point me in the right direction? I have emailed the school about this, but they seem to be very busy and cannot email quickly.

2) LA seems like it would be a very large, expensive city for a student. Are the schedules for the full-time atelier too much to maintain a part-time job, and would a part time job be enough to sustain an apartment? Or would/should I apply for enough student loans to pay for living expenses?

Any info would be helpful, the are the only things I have any worries about at this point. I am REALLY excited about going to this schooL!

Thanks
    Xeom

I cannot give you an exact number, only my opinion. I would say the average living cost would be around $1200 a month... including rent. This could be high or it could be low.. it depends really on where you live. If you live in Van Nuys right by the school, you might be able to find a one bedroom for around $650-$700 a month but as you get closer to Encino/sherman oaks area.. prices go up.

Its really hard to say how much exactly you will spend. If you budget well, get your supplies at a cheap art store or online, and if you shop around for cheap apartments in a good area.. you may spend less than $1200 a month.

I hope this helps somewhat... Let me know if you have any more questions!

-Alex

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Aaron Death View Post
    Can I ask you something about the Laguna program?

First, does it apply to international students? And can I choose any major or minor as I choose? And is it possible that it suddenly ends before I can finish the three years' study?

It would be nice if you have some document about it though.

Anyway, also about the portfolio, do you accept digital pieces? Will digitals be valued less than traditionals?

Here's what I plan to submit for the portfolio. Is it good?

Charcoal:
    Nathan Fowkes study
    Group still life(something like a glass, a plate, bread, apple, fork, spoon) or drawing of leather boots or both
    self portrait
    Prud'hon study
    quick figure drawings from life
    drawings of my own hands and feet

Digital:
    one still life from life
    maybe one figure painting from photograph

ARGHHHHH, sorry, so many questions.

Thanks very much if you can answer all these questions.

Anyway, thanks very much.
    Aaron Death,

It does apply to international students, as long as you are a full time student you can go there on a student visa. I am not exactly sure if you do pick your major/minor.. I will have to get back to you on that. I do know that most of what you would be taking would be their required courses (ie. art history/ business/ english). And it is not possible that the agreement with Laguna College of the Arts will ever be terminated. So dont worry about that

We are in the process of getting our curriculum up to date on our website, along with more info about the Laguna transfer.

I like what you are planning to include in your portfolio! Digital pieces are totally fine, as long as you have some life studies in there as well. Awesome! I wish you the best of luck!

If you got anymore questions let me know!

-Alex

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by StephenJ View Post
    I don't know if we're suppouse to post our current schedule but I don't think anyone will care if I post an old one. So here's one from late last year. To be fair though this was a really busy schedule.

MONDAY
    11am-3pm A2 Head Drawing 3/ Vadim Zang 10 sessions 40hrs instructor/model
    4pm-8pm A2 Grisaille Figure 1/ Uninstructed 10 sessions 40hrs uninstructed/model Start 10/27

TUESDAY
    11am-6pm A2 Grisaille Cast Painting 1/ Richard Morris 10 sessions 60hrs instructor/no model
    7pm-10pm A2 Color Theory/ Sergio Sanchez 10 sessions 30hrs instructor/no model

WEDNESDAY
    11am-3pm A2 Head Drawing 3/ Uninstructed 10 sessions 40hrs uninstructed/model
    4pm-7pm A2 Still Life Painting 1/ Uninstructed 10 sessions 30hrs uninstructed/no model

THURSDAY
    10am-2pm A2 Grisaille Figure 1/ William Rodgers 10 sessions 40hrs instructor/model
    3pm-6pm A2 Still Life Painting 1/ William Rodgers 10 sessions 30hrs instructor/no model
    7pm-10pm A2 Composition 2/ Bill Perkins 10 sessions 30hrs instructor/model (last 3 sess)
    FRIDAY
    No class.

SATURDAY
    10am-3pm A1/A2 combined Animal Drawing/Dif. Day/David Colman 10 sessions 40hrs instructor/no model

18 Sunday.
    No class.

Hope that helps.
    Know that this is not an exact schedule and that the curriculum is still being adjusted. If you do have any questions, please refer to Cindy- a school administrator for exact info! Call her at 818.708.9232

-ALEX

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by passjumpgo View Post
    So, I live in Portland, OR right now. I've been looking at the LAAFA for a few months and I've decided I want to go for it. I've received the brochures from the school with all the tuition and class schedules. I just have a couple of dumb questions from anyone who studies there:

1) From my understanding, the LAAFA does not accept scholarships or grants, only Student loans. yes? If there are any assistance options available that I am not seeing, can anyone point me in the right direction? I have emailed the school about this, but they seem to be very busy and cannot email quickly.

2) LA seems like it would be a very large, expensive city for a student. Are the schedules for the full-time atelier too much to maintain a part-time job, and would a part time job be enough to sustain an apartment? Or would/should I apply for enough student loans to pay for living expenses?

Any info would be helpful, the are the only things I have any worries about at this point. I am REALLY excited about going to this schooL!
    Passjumpgo,
    As of right now we only accept student loans. We have to be accredited in order to receive any government funding for grants and such.

LA is an expensive city but if you budget well, find an apartment in a good neighborhood thats cheap, and buy your art supplies online or at cheap art stores (ie. Dick Blick) you may be spending around 1200 a month. It may be more, it may be less.. it really depends on where you find a place to live and how much you spend on food. My advice is bring lunches! I, being a student in the full time program spend way to much money on eating out. It is possible to work on weekends and on breaks. It may be tough to get all the homework done...but students do it. I suggest checking with the school first to see if they need anymore people to work (setting up studios/ web stuff/ office work). Trust me, you are going to be practically living here you may as well be working here too!

Seeing as you will only be able to work on weekends, I am not sure if that would be enough to sustain an apartment...So i would suggest getting a loan that would cover at least half of the living expenses. If you can, i would make it so i could worry less about working my ass of to pay rent and worry more about my art.

Please let me know if you have anymore questions! If you do have any questions that you need answers to right away, call 818.708.9232!

-Alex

Thanks

5-Day Figure and Portrait Painting Workshop with Jeff Hein

5-Day Figure and Portrait Painting Workshop with Jeff Hein May 27th-May 31st from 10am-5pm at the Los Angeles Academy of Figurative Art.

Instructor: Jeff Hein
    Wed.-Sun., May 27th-31st, 10am-5pm
    Cost: $695

LAAFA 3-Year Accredited Entertainment Art and Fine Art Programs

If you would like to register for this workshop, call 818.708.9232! Register as soon as possible because space may be limited.

Thanks

Its not too late to register for these classes!

ITS NOT TOO LATE TO REGISTER FOR THESE CLASSES!

#101 - Basic Drawing Fundamentals

Instructor: Eric Pedersen
    Saturday, 1pm-4pm
    Cost: $350 ($250 for new comers to the school!)

This course introduces the fundamentals of drawing. How to hold a charcoal pencil, simple shapes, volumes, c-curves, s-curves, straights, edges, 4-value system, thumbnails, introductory composition, light sources, core shadows, reflective lights, are all covered in this course. This is an excellent course for students with little to no formal drawing training at all, or those wanting a refresher course in the basics. Great class for beginners!

#122 - Sketching the Figure

Instructor: Sergio Sanchez
    Tuesday, 7pm-10pm
    Cost: $495

The student will receive study in drawing the head and figure, using quick-sketch and longer pose study of the figure and head. This is a broad overview of the many aspects of drawing the figure.

#324 - Figure Quick Sculpt

Instructor: David Simon
    Tuesday, 7pm-10pm
    Cost: $475

If you are a new student to sculpture, Figure Quick Sculpt is a great intro class to that material. In this setting, you will be more focused on capturing the gesture with clay.

Students are taken from three to nine-hour poses, with the emphasis being on the mass concepts of the body and breaking the figure down into geometric shapes. Gesture and Composition is the mainstay of this fast paced high-energy class. Improvement through repetition is the beauty of this course. This course is also terrific if you are having problems understanding the large masses of the body in your drawings or paintings.

If you would like to register for any of these classes, call 818.708.9232! Ask about our new student discounts!

Thanks

Free Drawing Class With Alex Alvarado!

Free Drawing Class April 25th!

Instructor: Alex Alvarado
    Saturday, 11:00 am - 2:00 pm

This Free Instructed Class is for people who are new to LAAFA, and have never studied with us before (one free class per person). The free drawing class will encourage you to see with your eyes and to draw with your hand. Instruction will be given in simple shading, lighting, core shadows, and learning to draw through an object. This is an excellent opportunity for students with little to no formal drawing training at all. Learning to translate what you see to paper is an exercise that will challenge you in new ways, keeping your brain and your imagination piqued. Come give it a try!

Bring your 18x24 pad of newsprint, some charcoal, a graphite pencil, a kneaded eraser, your right brain, and enjoy a class on the house. Our hope is that you realize how important art can be in your life, for without it we merely exist.

More experienced artists can also benefit from one of these classes. Bring along your work, and during the class, our instructor will take some one-on-one time with you to give you a free portfolio review. Find out where you are with your skill level, and where you can go!

If you have any questions, call 818.708.9232!

Los Angeles Academy of Figurative Art
    16926 Saticoy St.
    Van Nuys, CA

Page 13 of 29 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 ... LastLast