3-Year Entertainment Art Program, 18-Month Entertainment Track & Foundational Tracks

Join 500,000+ Artists

Its' free and it takes less than 10 seconds!

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Hybrid View

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

3-Year Entertainment Art Program, 18-Month Entertainment Track & Foundational Tracks

LAAFA is breaking new ground in fundamental artistic training, with a program rooted in classical traditions while addressing progressive conceptual ideas of the contemporary scene. LAAFA strives to prepare artists of the 21st century, to be well versed in the accurate depiction of light and form, while maintaining a clear understanding of visual storytelling and composition.

LAAFA's innovative full time program focuses on training both the accurate impression and conceptual expression simultaneously. The excitement is overwhelming as we await artists who will grow from this revolutionary instruction and make a difference in the art world of tomorrow. Join us and become one of those artists in the forefront of making a change in today's art world!

"I know of no more encouraging fact than the unquestionable ability of man to elevate his life by conscious endeavor."
    - Henry David Thoreau 1817-1862, American Essayist, Poet, Naturalist

Full Time Diploma Program

This distinguished multi-year diploma program offers not only classical art training, but systematically instills the values and disciplines required to turn talent into mastery and successful careers.

How will I grow as an artist in this program?

The heart of achieving mastery at LAAFA comes from making the program a challenging, yet exciting experience. We are dedicated to unmatched one-on-one training of the individual student; whether they are a passionate newcomer fulfilling an artistic dream, or a seasoned professional perfecting classic skills and exploring new visions. This program's level of intense study will accelerate your artistic development, by forcing you to truly and accurately represent what you see. The conceptual ideas expressed in our program will assist in developing your eye for solid design and composition in your work. This program will be vital in developing a keen sense of quality artwork and in showing you how to achieve it in your work!

Last edited by LAAFA; February 13th, 2014 at 01:55 AM. Reason: update
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to LAAFA For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Wow. The homer bust was the one i enjoyed most.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hmm, interesting. I'll be following this thread.

Korpus School of Art + Gallery
    1300 Factory Place, Unit 308
    Los Angeles, CA 90013
    www.korpus-la.com
    Blog
    Facebook Page

Twitter
    korpus.info@gmail.com
    Phone: 213-228-2014

Thanks
    Thanked 11,146 Times in 2,693 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    I moved this to the appropriate section.

You all should post up some tutorials on the site here.

LEVEL UP! - ConceptArt.Org online workshops are on sale- Join now and get 25% off!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hi Jason,

What do you mean by tutorials? Do you have an example of some that have been posted in the past? Thanks for your time.

Best,
    Matt Marchant

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Head Drawing

Here's something I've done in the Figure Construction class.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Good Work Keep it up!

First Term Student.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Stuff from Aaron's class

It took me a while to get around to posting this since we, the students, have no life outside of LAAFA. Not that anyone is complaining; it is just that we are all motivated and BUSY, BUSY, BUSY!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Go LAAFA!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hello Artists and Friends of LAAFA,

We just wanted to let you know about an On-line Chat and upcoming Workshop with Acclaimed Artist and Instructor Dan Thompson. If you are interested in chatting with Dan and hearing about his interesting techniques and approach to painting and teaching, log onto www.myamericanartist.com. On the home page you will see the link to register, it's free. Register and then come and join the chat tomorrow, Wednesday, June 13th at 3pm EST and 12pm PST. You can also view a step-by-step Painting demonstration, by clicking here.

Dan Thompson will also be joining us here at LAAFA for a five day Portrait and Figure Painting workshop in July. The dates are, Thursday-Monday, July 19th-23rd. Dan will also be doing a Drawing and Painting demo. here at LAAFA, dates to be announced. I have listed a couple images and more info. about the workshop below. Don't miss out on this opportunity to study with one of the great Figurative Artists of our generation.

Check out the info. on the workshop below!

Workshop Title: #928 Portrait And Figure Painting from Life

Instructor: Dan Thompson

Dates: Thursday - Monday, July 19th-23rd

Time: 10am-5pm

Cost: $695

Register now: Space is limited. 818.708.9232 or www.laafa.org

Class description:

Dan Thompson's "Painting the Figure and Portrait from Life" workshop will focus on several problem areas for the contemporary figurative painter from life. Breaking the process of painting and drawing down into phases, rather than steps, and prioritizing the approach, the first theme will be seizing the energy and vitality of the model's pose. This will be followed by a strong push toward perceptual drawing and painting, and the search for a proportional, engaging pattern while forming the design elements. Implying structure in the shapes by challenging empirical knowledge with a theoretical form sense will expand the dialog toward a new principle. The structural aspects will be honed through a drawn or grisaille painted study of the human head. A portrait demonstration will also be conducted within the workshop. The light key, the harmony of color, will build on top of the previous phases, and thereafter emphasis will be placed on the long pose. Within this long pose, a "putting it all together" session will be developed in paint, charcoal or pencil. One on one discussions, as well as studio talks and critical feedback of each participant's work, will simultaneously take place.

"Great Art begins with a solid foundation. Build your foundation with us."

Best Wishes,

Matthew Marchant

Director of Education

LAAFA/Atelier

contactus@laafa.org

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Mission Statement for “The Axis of Art”

The Axis of Art is a satire, but it is rooted in definite seriousness. The definition of Axis is a “Principle line of development, movement, and direction. The Axis of Art is a call to action for the figurative art world.

Development: The Los Angeles Academy is dedicated to developing artists, well equipped for the challenges of being a visual communicator in today’s technological culture. We are developing the skills necessary to blossom in all fields of visual media and communication.

Movement: The figurative art revival movement is something we take seriously. Without solid art training all visual communication suffers. Figurative Art is the principle development tool for study. If one can truly understand and accurately depict the human form, they are able to apply it to any form. With fundamental training lacking in today’s art education arena, we are joining with a few other schools around the country, to bring it back to the forefront!

Direction: As we head into the future of Art in this country, we do so with great expectations! LAAFA is one of the schools still dedicated to fundamental academic traditions and we move forward in the direction of true artistic achievement!

LAAFA is developing resources for art students and we hope to have a fully operational Art resource center “The Axis of Art”, by the end of this year! So if you are looking to develop your skill set and be a part of the movement Join “The Axis of Art”.

Rick Morris

Sean Cheetham

Steven Assael

Nathan Fowkes

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Nice to see you guys on youtube. Plan on any more?

cool stuff.

You are a level 8 ninja and even though you have a lot of weapons sometimes your ninja moves are your most powerful.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

15. The Following User Says Thank You to LAAFA For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I'm still about a year from being able to apply to LAAFA. But i was wondering what you guys looked at most in a portfolio?

Sketchbook
    Looking for mentor

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    We are looking for a competent understanding of the human proportions, a basic understanding of value and form, and the ability to create narrative imagery from your imagination.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hello, to the people of LAAFA.
    I want to apply for the school, but I have a little problem.
    Until now I didn't have the opportunity to draw or paint finished works from life. I have just quick scketches. On the other hand I have some personal works with human anatomy.
    Should I find the way and try to do those works or my personal work (all done without models) will be fine?
    I didn't email you beacause it's such a simple question
    An example, my favorite example :

Attached Images Attached Images  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I hope it is appropriate to ask questions in this thread....

I checked out the LAAFA homepage and can't seem to find anything relating to cost of tuition or individual classes. If you could post the cost or send me a PM I would really appreciate it.

Thanks!
    -Life

Sketchbook.

"Art is the proper task of life. "
    Friedrich Nietzsche

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by PutridusCor View Post
    Hello, to the people of LAAFA.
    I want to apply for the school, but I have a little problem.
    Until now I didn't have the opportunity to draw or paint finished works from life. I have just quick scketches. On the other hand I have some personal works with human anatomy.
    Should I find the way and try to do those works or my personal work (all done without models) will be fine?
    I didn't email you beacause it's such a simple question
    An example, my favorite example :
    Some drawings from life are important for us to see in your portfolio. You can always attend one of our sessions program classes or uninstructed model sessions in order to produce some work from life. The work you posted shows a good understanding of value placement and proportion so I am sure you will be able to create work from life that has the same level of understanding.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    LifeWontWait, it's in the application form, which says $3.898 per quarter.

Woke up this morning, found out my signature was gone..

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    ah, much thanks, appreciate it Coen!

Sketchbook.

"Art is the proper task of life. "
    Friedrich Nietzsche

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I can't seem to find and scholarship information on the website, only Sallie Mae info. Is there no more scholarship or am I just looking in the wrong place?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

More pics

Alright I am overdue to post stuff. I hope this code works and that I am not repeating the pics.

Last edited by SergioAntonio; December 30th, 2007 at 05:06 AM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Atelier Student Exhibition!

You are cordially invited to LAAFA's first annual Atelier student show, to be hosted by Gallery Nucleus. This is an exhibition of work created by our 1st year graduating Atelier students. We are really proud of this first group of Atelier students and the strides they have made in the year since they started here. We would love to share their work with you.

The opening reception will be Saturday January 26th from 7pm-11pm. All work on display will be for sale. Please come out and see the beautiful work and share your support!

What: Atelier Student Exhibition
    Where: Gallery Nucleus
    30 West Main Street
    Alhambra, CA 91801
    Phone: 626.458.7482

When: Saturday, January 26th - Sunday, February 3rd
    Opening Reception: Saturday, January 26th from 7pm-11pm

Exhibiting Artists:
    Alex Alvarado
    Brandon Harris
    Terry Kelly
    Sergio Antonio
    Eric Pedersen
    Spencer Sharp

We hope to see you there!

Matt Marchant
    LAAFA/Atelier

LAAFA - Los Angeles Academy of Figurative Art
    16926 Saticoy Street | Van Nuys, CA 91406
    Phone: 1-877-MY-LAAFA

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by TGM View Post
    I can't seem to find and scholarship information on the website, only Sallie Mae info. Is there no more scholarship or am I just looking in the wrong place?
    LAAFA is currently unable to offer scholarships.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I don't know if the person who responds for LAAFA on this thread is the same one who responds to any mail sent in their info mail but I will post this anyway.

My question is if schools like LAAFA are hell bent on putting off people who might be interested in these schools by having very bad communication services?

The reson I ask this is because I sent an e-mail asking if I could visit the place and talk to anyone who would be around, during my visit to L.A. nothing fancy, just to get a feel for the place and check with some students. I did get a response where I was offered to set up a meeting. I responded kindly thanking the man for the offer, but I mentioned that I wasn't going to be able to apply immediately, I am going to apply in August to begin their winter course so I didn't want to take up his time unless he felt it was worth it, I just wanted to know if I could go there, or if he really wanted to, to set up a meeting a proposed. To this I got no reply. I sent another mail yesterday. Still no reply.

Does it bother these schools so much to offer information and help to people who like to plan ahead a few months before making any movements? If these places are meant only for the super rich that can apply and move into town overnight they might as well say so on their websites! I don't need any formal appointment at this time but hell, this guy didn't even have the courtesy to tell me if I could just go around and check the place out!

At least the Concept Art Atelier didn't respond at all, something that seemed to me as a big &3ck off, but hey, that's better than offering some help then not caring because they found out they weren't getting any money from me right away like this LAAFA dude.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey Line,

Sorry about the delay in response... I did respond to you and I believe we met when you were here in L.A. If you are the same guy from Greece. We do sometimes get swamped here and I get 100's of e-mails daily. I'm sorry if sometimes we take a while to respond. We do value every artist that is interested in our program and we attempt to answer all of your questions and help you with this major decision.

Best,
    Matthew Marchant
    Director of Education

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

LAAFA Student Work

Check out what our students are doing here at LAAFA. If you have any feedback on what you see, feel free!

Last edited by LAAFA; August 1st, 2008 at 06:35 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Man calm down... I've visited LAAFA before and it isn't some enormous university, neither is the CA atelier. They are both very small schools without dedicated people answering emails all day. Just have some patience. When I sent a few E-mails to LAAFA it took a while to answer (the longest time was like a few weeks)

If you aren't patient in life, then I doubt you're patient enough to attend an atelier either...

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Crush View Post
    Man calm down... I've visited LAAFA before and it isn't some enormous university, neither is the CA atelier. They are both very small schools without dedicated people answering emails all day. Just have some patience. When I sent a few E-mails to LAAFA it took a while to answer (the longest time was like a few weeks)

If you aren't patient in life, then I doubt you're patient enough to attend an atelier either...
    Man, believe it or not, patience is one of my virtues and I never thought that those schools were huge. Still, I have sent mails to plenty of schools like those and none replied, besides LAAFA's first reply. The general message this gives me is that these schools are indifferent when it comes to giving information. Then they should just give a phone number and say "Give us a call, cause we won't answer any e-mails." But my belief is that, for the prices they charge, they'd better get someone to answer those e-mails man.

By the way, what was your impression of the place? Any other such school in California, or even in L.A. you can point out for me?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Heya, I hope the person behind the LAAFA account regularly checks this thread.

I sent an email about a week back myself, and haven't gotten a reply back either. *sigh* Looks like I'm doomed to obscurity (Art Center never replied to me either).

How much is the tuition for the full time course (The 3 year one)? How many semesters are there per year? Are there any breaks/holidays in between the semesters/years. Can they recommend any possible housing near the school?

Thanks .

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 13