Art: Walnut oil beading, help needed...

Join 500,000+ Artists

Its' free and it takes less than 10 seconds!

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Walnut oil beading, help needed...

I am a bit of a reclusive painter. I've been painting for some years as a fulltime occupation. I have never shown my work to anyone outside of my wife, or those who walk into my home. The reason I mention it is because it will help to illustrate how isolated I am from common practice or technique. I did go to university for art (Michigan which I chose as I was the 5th consecutive generation in my family to attend - tradition and all that), but I utterly hated the experience, and have spent the last several years trying to recorrect myself to the course I was on before what seemed deconstructive education, with no reconstruction. I should probably note that the speed at which I work is excruciatingly slow even for my patience level (200 hours minimum on a painting but typically 400 or more) and there was never time at school to work as I understand how to work - it was 6 years of breaking down with never time to rebuild on anything I would consider work of merit. I suppose I have kept my work hidden because I am no longer comfortable with critique of unfinished work, and it is an easy step from there to just keeping it all. It works for me.

My issue:

Ive been using linseed oil in the past, but I've noticed on some of my older works how much they have yellowed - particularly on the ones where I have very thick stand oil (I was injecting color into thick stand oil for some time, as if it were glass. Quite a failure in most cases due to cracking). I switched to Walnut Oil this year since I am painting in thin coats, anyways. Wish I could find a walnut stand oil. I like the oil, it is very thin and clear, and I enjoy the behavior more than I did with linseed - which was always more 'sticky'. I really like the drying time which is more friendly to my working speed.

Now the paints I purchase are Williamsburg, and they are a linseed base. I occasionally mix them with other paints as there are a few Rembrandt colors I like though I am not too fond of the paint consistency which is too buttery - and sometimes pastels, both oil and powder. Im using a general turps very occasionally - I really dont use much but to clean the brushes. I thinned paint with it a lot when I was younger but anymore its more or less for cleaning.

The cotton is sealed with PVC and a petrol base white. Normally, an oil such as linseed or walnut will not bead on it.

Not sure if any of this info helps to troubleshoot my issue:

Im finding that with Walnut oil, I am getting beading in spots. Im trying to work with it, but ultimatley I cannot get the color to do what I want in these areas and it is very frustrating.

It seems like it occurs where I am overpainting areas that have been painted more heavily with less walnut mixed in. Areas where the ground is, or where plain translucent walnut oil has been laid do not do this (I find I am often laying down sheets of oil and painting into it and I normally do not paint into all of it before it dries)

Im not having issues where I have chalked or used pastel, and I just cannot put my thumb down on the source of the problem.

Does anyone have a lot of experience with walnut oil who can recommend possible causes/solutions?

My thanks ahead of time,
    Lywelyn

Last edited by Lywelyn Loomis; February 21st, 2007 at 04:18 AM.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    the best painters used linseed oil always.. filtered clear without impurieties..the issue of them yellowing is because they have not received enough sunlight..or natural light for that matter..they have been enclosed in a Museum for centuries..facing a wall for too long of time, or in the dark or with artificial light.. you take any painting yellowed out to the sun it will recoverd its natural color..put it in a spot where it can receive it. Also, not of my business, but to get inspiration an artist has to live his life..enjoy friends..meet people , get ideas from them..I know nowadays people dont care..but there are some who you learn from..work/paint when is required of you..then have fun..enjoy your family, travel, other places, you can always do some sketches on the fly... those are the seeds of inspiration, the love you receive from those important things that make you love painting them.. for the eye of a paitner is always looking for beauty and YOU know beauty is everywhere..not only at home...is all about balance , ying and yang.

my new site, is crazy stuff but is my own space, I can say whatever!! hehe:
    http://theallejo05.spaces.live.com/?_c02_owner=1
    One of the art schools I respect the most:
    http://www.mimsstudios.com/philosophy.htm
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.