Sketchbook: Heather's Sketchbook (Update March 12th, third post) Comment Please!
Join Free Art WorkShopJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thread: Heather's Sketchbook (Update March 12th, third post) Comment Please!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Heather's Sketchbook (Update March 12th, third post) Comment Please!

Ok
    I'm new to this site but have lurked, as a non member, for a while
    It seems this is the place to come if you really want to be better, and while I like my style currently I DO want to get better still, so... Here I am.

I have a lot of back images to post. My images are pretty big but it looks like the standard thing here is to just post them inline with text, so.. yeah.

I've seen people torn apart here for drawing in a manga style, so.. Let me just say I HAVE been slowly trying to change my style to be more realistic, the problem I have is that every anatomy book I buy seems to have.. comic book anatomy. Which is very ironic to me because nobody looks like that, except maybe a wrestler on lots and lots of steroids... I mean, it pulls out muscles that I havent seen even looking at a bodybuilder's hindquarters and makes them a prominent feature...

Not to mention that, apparantly, proper anatomy for females involves silicone breasts and a Buick attached to their backside.

But enough of that
    To the art!
    Be gentle, please >.<
    I'll mark something if it'd 'serious' art so you know when I am really trying. Most of my shaded or lined stuff right now is done with my cheaper lining pens and my extremely cheap pencils, because I dont want to risk taking good stuff to school, it's been stolen before, and at $18+ per mechanical pencil people 'borrow', I cant afford it.

Starting new and going back

Took like two and a half hours from start to finish, anatomy is meant to be off and abnormally lanky because it's styled somewhat after jet set radio future

Kind of a sketch. I just wanted to do a random, lumpy-haired weird-faced stripper girl. And so I did.
    Took about 45 minutes total

Oh yes, blasphemy, chibis, the bane of every artists existence..
    I guess, but I really just use them as small exersizes in shading. I also have some CG chibis I use to learn how to CG color.

Example of said CG-coloring practice chibis.
    I like to do small things first when practicing so I dont get bored or discouraged and quit at it. It's always been easier for me to take baby steps.
    -I know chibis are bad as far as skill level-
    But thats kinda the point. Get something down quick and easily and then color it.

Crappy shaded pose practice. I was going for a fighting pose at first and then it transformed into sitting on a shelf... I liked it at first but it kind of bores me now.

A picture of a character I had to make for a themed art shop on a forum I belong to. It's not the best but not the worst, and I'm definetly happy with my boa just because it took a lot of patience and erasing and layering and re erasing to get it right when using dolla' fitty fo' a hundred pack pencils.

Old sketch of mine that I tried to line when I was in the hospital and I messed it up... Because having an IV in your hand that makes your whole forearm swell and then trying to use permanent ink for delicate lines is a bad idea.

Really bad drawing that looks kinda like a transsexual. I was bored in in school suspension and just drew random crap and so this was the birth of one of my characters. I would love to have a fantastic backstory as to why her arm is freakishly short and sticks out all rigamortis-like, but i dont. I just couldnt think of anything to do with the hand at the time.

Here is some lineart of a foxgirl character I may use in a story I am playing around with in my head. The story centralizes on physical appearance and beauty being the main determining factor of ones worth, as well as slavery and a bunch of other controversy. So, if her eyelashes look overly-shoujo to you, that's why. Also, I've been informed that her nose/forehead area is screwed up. But besides that I'd like critique.

A catboy involved in the same story as the above. Also, me sucking at shading with pens.

Once again, same story.

Hooray for random fetish art.
    One of my exes liked big breasts/inflation and so occaisionally I like to draw what is considered 'thick' in anime, freakishly huge breasts and hips. I think it's kinda funny

Another sketch, for the same story as the fox/cat people

Random camera shot of a sketch I did for some demented monsters. I have to be in a certain mood to draw creatures and ufortunetly it doesnt happen often.

Old colored piece for a creature shop I used to do

Probably the first ever pic I did in prismacolor markers

Another creature for the old shop I used to have, this was when my markers actually worked properly. My mom has since left them out in the freezing cold for a number of days and now my paint markers have no pressure and seem to just glob out in a weird translucent goo and my markers are all streaky...

Yet another creature

An example of what happens when I use my good mechanical pencils and take my time, took about three to four days.

Another example of me taking my time. Took a week or so.

Very old (two years or more) art to be posted in next post.

Last edited by heather_c19; March 13th, 2007 at 12:24 AM.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Old old old~

This is the ancient stuff, still probably decaying in a folder somewhere.
    Most is done in sharpie so the original copies wouldnt hold up well anyways.
    Last I checked, most of these had actually begun to yellow =/

Was an experimental style that I absolutely hate now.

Character is a running joke between me and my friend, he always has shaggy, poofy anime hair, and when he looks or leans down it shifts in front of his face to make him look like he has an 'emo' haircut.
    So I tease him by making pictures of him as an emo catboy. This one isnt as emo though because (a couple years ago) this was like, the friendship-renewal pic, so he had to actually like it.

My first Jet set radio future themed art, and i still really like it except for the one thing that'd always bothered me, which is his butt sticks out too much. Other than that I love it.

My first ever experiment with perspective and foreshortening. I still kinda like it just because of how sweet and clean it looks. Just really simple, which is a quality my art has DEFINITELY lost.

Random art of my former catgirl character.

Random lulu-inspired art

I only did this pic for the outfit, honestly. I just felt like drawing a poofy short skirt and this came out of it.

An old semi-realistic style I used to do a lot of.

Very bad pic way back when I only used crayola colored pencils to color

Botched portrait of some japanese j rock guy

Old detention doodle

Colored pic of my character on a forum site. I dont have any of that stuff any more cause I got banned.

OLD commissioned furry pic

Two old couple pictures of two of my characters.
    Once again, just crayola colored pencils.
    My style has changed so much from this.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Update March 12th

Chibi concept of further character design next to drawing

I really hate this. Should be obvious due to text what I was trying to draw, Queen Mab

I messed up the hair terribly..

Sketch for something I am working on

In process of being colored..

Messy little sketch..

Me trying to sharpen my anatomy

Random naked catgirl

Just a doodle of a showgirl/circus girl

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey there and welcome to CA~ You have a great start to your art, it's good to see that you are trying a little bit with different styles too. The shading on your pencil drawings are very smooth.

I would suggest to try and practice drawing from life, or drawing something not of the norm for you. Sometimes it's hard to get in the mood to draw those things but it will only help to better your abilities. I would also love to see you draw some figure sketches of real people. I see that your style right now is mostly anime, which there is nothing wrong with that ~!! Just make sure you are expirementing with other styles as well!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    It's really, really insulting to have it called that blanket term..
    I feel like I've moved pretty far away from traditional anime and I've seen other's sketchbooks with anime or cartoony works that don't get critisized for it.
    I've never seen this style in any manga or anime show.. maybe I am mistaken after all. But I've tried my hardest to develop this into something of my own. I do look a lot at others work and try imitating their styles for some fun sometimes. Though I really only change face styles and not body styles.

There are no free life drawing classes here in my city, the only ones held are at the art academy, the tuition of which my mother can not come close to affording. I have looked at modeling websites and while there are some interesting picture poses, it feels so awkward drawing from a picture on my computer screen, like I am doing nothing but imitating what I see, which I have been able to do effectively since I was four and it's never improved my skill.

I can do realism, my problem is I can only do it effectively when I have a photo to go by or someone sitting directly in front of me. I used to do those drawings in elementary/junior high school detention because people would sit still for hours and not move. As far as people around here? The 'gangster' trend has hit, so for most all guys (what I have the most issues with, I habitually make the torso's too long) they are wearing very baggy clothes making it difficult to discern the mechanics of the form beneath.

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.