Architecture

Join 500,000+ Artists

Its' free and it takes less than 10 seconds!

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thread: Architecture

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Architecture

After much pondering I seem to now consider architecture as the career I want to go into. My father has an degree in it but he graduated like 30 years ago from it so he isn't much help.

So, what are some of my better choices for schools in architecture. (In the USA, preferably not New York city, preferably somewhere in Florida as I have family there and while although a US citizen I do not currently live in the US)

Lastly what are the average incomes of people in the architectural field, I'm trying not to sound snobby and I have heard the "do what you love and you will be good at it" But I am an ambitious person and I don't see how I can not look at the financial aspect to this.

thanks for any help

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    There is no shame in wanting to know the average income of a career you want to get into. It is always something important to be aware of, and people do need to make a living, there's nothing greedy in that and definetly does not make you less ambitious.

My uncle use to be an architect and made a great deal of money, by far more then the average person at that time (he's probably in his 60's, now) Archtects in general seem to make a good deal of money.

Here's a list of architect schools in Florida. All are accredited universities.

Florida A&M
    Florida Atlantic
    Florida International University
    University of Florida
    University of Miami
    University of South Florida

In the North there is also:

Georgia Institute of Technology
    Savannah College of Art and Design
    Southern Polytechnic State University

Thanks
    Thanked 1,439 Times in 259 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Don't go into architorture for the money. As with lawyers, the field is flooded with new grads seeking wealth.

I think you are awesome, and I wish you the best in your endeavors, but I am tired of repeating myself, I am very busy with my new baby, and I am no longer a regular participant here, so please do not contact me to ask for advice on your career or education. All of the advice that I have to offer can already be found in the following links. Thank you.

Perspective 101, Concept Art 101, Games Industry info,Oil Paint info, Acrylic Paint info, my sketchbook.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Seedling
    Don't go into architorture for the money. As with lawyers, the field is flooded with new grads seeking wealth.

Agreed 110% here.

I always try to flop things around and look at it from a different perspective. If I were to hire someone (lawyer, architect, plumber or whatever)- would I want someone that wants to work for me for the money or because they genuinely care?

I'd opt for the latter everytime.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I never said I wanted to go into the career because of the money, I really do enjoy doing that stuff, from an early age I began doodleing house plans ect. My interest in it was re-kindled when I got the chance to do an enviromental design project.

But I have to think about my future and I don't see how one can not worry about finances in life. I may seem over ambitious but there is a history in my family of wealth, the entire side of my dad's family have done very well in life, and I guess being around those kind of people can leave an impression on you. Not envy.

I wanted to know where I should look at applying, not a lecture on how I am choosing my career wrongfully.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    It wasn't a lecture, waffle, it was a warning aimed at preventing your misery later in life. If you like the field then take it on with gusto. But another warning - understanding the money potential of the job you pick is a very good thing to do, but don't let your family's job or money history corral you into a life that won't make you happy. (My husband had a nasty crisis in his life that was a result of trying to be a doctor just like all the other men in his family.)

I can't offer you advice on architecture schools because I am not a lexicon of schools.

Good luck.

I think you are awesome, and I wish you the best in your endeavors, but I am tired of repeating myself, I am very busy with my new baby, and I am no longer a regular participant here, so please do not contact me to ask for advice on your career or education. All of the advice that I have to offer can already be found in the following links. Thank you.

Perspective 101, Concept Art 101, Games Industry info,Oil Paint info, Acrylic Paint info, my sketchbook.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Trying to live up to a family legacy or some other pre-conceived notion of success rather than following your own heart's desire can often lead to disappointment. I understand that those sort of things can leave a heavy impression on you but at what point in your family line is someone going to say, "I'm going to do it my way and be happy with it"?

And what if you do end up being more successful or just as successful as other members of your family, is this kind of oneupsmanship the thing you want to instill to your children one day? God forbid they make one cent less than you and be considered a failure.

And this advice is also from personal wisdom of being around people who believed in achieving more than the previous generation- and the pain it caused some close relatives.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I used to be an architecture student, but changed schools and majors not because I didn't enjoy architecture, but because the school I was going to at the time wasn't accredited. I was equally interested in both design and art, so I figured a really good art degree from a really good art school would serve me better when applying to a graduate school than a mediocre unaccredited architecture degree. So right now I'm tentatively planning on applying to a Master's program in architecture after I finish my BFA.

As far as your questions go, Architects make decent money, even great money if you're good at it. However, like art, architecture goes through highs and lows. Some months you'll be making bank and others you'll be struggling to pay your bills. Unless you own your own successful practice, become used to hopping around from studio to studio. One benefit, however, is that if you make it big or even modestly successful, money won't be much of a concern anymore.

In order to practice architecture you will need either a five year Bachelors degree in archtitecture, or a Bachelors degree in another field, plus a period of master study. While a Master's degree is encouraged, The minimum is a five year accredited degree. After school you will need to go through a series of internships or residencies under a licensed architect before you can apply for your Professional License. This is in the US, though. I'm not sure how it works abroad. Also, in order to keep your license you must go through continuing education (ie classes or seminars related to architecture) throughout your career.

Also, there is the notion that while you may love design and architecture and all the ideas encompassed in the built environment, you will have to FIGHT for your ideas at most turns (that is, if you really want to experiment with thinking outside the box). Many patrons, builders, and contractors are conservative minded people, and typically won't view amazing design as intimately as you will. The one who has final say is the one signing the paycheck. The only people who can combat this are starchitects like Frank Gehry or Richard Meier.

The profession is not for the faint of heart. It is equal parts talent, ego, and confidence. Like people have said above, you do this because you LOVE this and not because you want to make money. If you are passsionate about it, the money will come, but architecture is definitely not a field one goes into to make bucks.

I don't know any schools in the area, but it seems people got that handled.

Good luck.

-bloaty

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks bloaty, I just learned a lot from you!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks bloaty for answering my question.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    It seems quite obvious to say this, but all these posts were done prior to the major economic meltdown in 2008. Today, Architecture is one of the worsts careers as far as job security is concerned. The construction industry has completely halted in the USA, and whatever construction is happening, is only handeled by contractors with technical degrees. To sum up, if you like eating and a roof over your head, do NOT go into architecture in 2012. Good luck.

Members who have read this thread: 2