Sketchbook: the lander sketchbook - Page 2
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread: the lander sketchbook

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Wow, I really like the color schemes you're using, I hope to see some more polished stuff soon!

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks and so do I (hope to see more polished stuff)

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    todays 5 minute train draft.

Btw. I'm really excited about going to Revelations in january.

I never thought I'd go

Edit. I now see that i have to bring the it's left leg more to the front. As it's really bent outward in a painful way.

Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by Lander; November 22nd, 2007 at 02:27 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Cow #101

I got a few hours to spare and I got some good c on my wip. Thanks Lenorekitty and grenogs for the input.

The Feathertail is as harmless as it may sound if you have someone to save you. Residing in blistering, mountain deserts, Feathertails use their tail to block the sun to remain cool. Their tail also plays a vital part to balance it's massive body when grazing the plains for food. Their total absence of teeth forces them to swallow their pray in one bite, or rather it would be one mouth full.
    Locals have found much sport in the Feathertail by luring them with tasty treats, including themselves. It's a test of endurance, and bravery. The one who runs the greatest distance is the winner. They usually prey on everything that can fit between their jaws. And when a competitor is consumed, the Event Organizer tranquilizes the beast and the sportsman gets rescued by being yanked out the same way he came in. The massive amount of drool makes a body suit a necessity and a fashion statement.

Last edited by Lander; December 4th, 2007 at 02:51 AM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    hah nice creature design. i like the thievery of the chicken wing by a ninja, its funny. the mountainous background is subtle and well done too

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Oh my, you're really good! There's no need to be so humble about your paintings, I for one would really like to have one (or several of 'em) latched onto my walls ^^ I like your style a lot! *two thumbs up*

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Jididly, Wosie: Thanks alot. Well this place has taken me a along way in a short time. I can recommend every one to get a mentor to review your work. I can honestly say that I learn something with every painting that I do. Even such things like the fact that I have neglected the composition.

Here is my latets COWs #102

Concept: Surflarp
    The Surflarp (a bad excuse for a sidestep in evolution and the minor breed on the world of Sixten) solved it's problem with it's soft shelled eggs. Prior being the base of nutrition for a great deal of inhabitants now found it's protection inside the cranium of deceased humans. After the coming of man the species has greatly increased it's numbers. This will most likely be the case for some time to come until the natural recourses run out and mankind leaves a drained world alone to find treasures on a new one.

and #103

Concept: Liqueriee
    In a parallel universe where evolution was dictated by need instead of the fittest. The spongeback was sprung alive from the introduction of stamps and a dry tongue. They spred their seed with the glue on the back of the stamps.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Made one more COW.

Artist: Lander

Concept: St.As Parrot
    This bird is the pawn of Santa Claus evil brother St.As who uses the bird to destroy what ever he can of the x-mas spirit. This bird have been seen leaving the scene of the crime after opening all the presents delivered by Santa Claus. It's one of it's kind and has no mate known to man.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    i like you creatures, and especially your zbrush! but your other pics look a little out of focus. i'd work on them just a little bit longer to make them a bit sharper.

Incessant Doodlings of a Wandering Mind (my sketchbook)
    http://www.conceptart.org/forums/showthread.php?t=96904

"Avoidance of what you can't draw well doesn't stimulate growth." -Cory Trego-Erdner

"Only the mediocre are always at their best."-Jean Giraudoux

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Ignominious: thanks. Yes they are blurry but it's cos they are all part of my learning curve. The first images where really painful to create. I had no earlier serious experience in painting with colors. So every stroke was an effort. The first ones are all painted in 1:1 with a soft edged brush. That does not make them sharper. Maybe I'll go back and rework them a bit. Could be interesting to see how much a year changes my way of working with the same pic. And yes I thought they were done back then

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I have spent the last week at Revelations and it has been a blast. Great fun. It's been really great to meet all of you and see the cool stuff that people do.
    I also spent some time working on a cow.

Concept: Testibloom
    The Testibloom has a naughty defense with a "eat all you can" kind of meaning of life. Once it has eaten enough it will shape shift by pulling it's head into it's body. This will force it's wings to unfold. Tilting it's defensive needles in and at the same time pushing the fluid holding them to the sacks on the wings inside.
    As the head is pulled in and the wings open it's digestive system opens up like a flower to supply the bowels with oxygen. This will work as a camouflage during this part of it's life cycle.
    After this it will reproduce and eventually die.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Fart!

There is no "I" in team, but there is an "I" in pie. And there's an "i" in meat pie. Meat is the anagram of team...~Shaun "Shaun of the Dead"
    http://www.cognitionstudio.com

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey, Carl. It was great meeting you at the workshop.
    You've addressed my crits quite nicely since I last saw this piece. You darkened the little crevices on the flower-like creature, and colorized the shadows on both. You also added in some nice texture and color depth. Now, some more crits for you. The shadows on the "beautiful" form look very nice. They take on the same colors as the creature, which implies that light is passing through its transparent "petals." It's a nice effect. However, the purple shadows on the "ugly" form don't make as much sense. Is the soil itself purple? Is the atmosphere purple, and is this colorizing the shadows? Painting an environment, or at least offering more of a suggestion of an environment, would help clear this up.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Lander: I admire your work a lot. Awesome creatures for real. I see you use Painter. Do you find yourself working in PS at all? Just wondering. Also, what's good with this Revelations thing? What is it, where's it at? What's good? Hit me back whenevers man and keep on killin it with your crazy creatures!

-=Lege

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Wow I really like your character designs they have such a light but sometimes twisted sense of humor to them that I really appreciate. I also enjoy your color schemes, your later work especially.

Imagination is not a total internal power but rather it is a reflection and multi-faceted projection of our experiences and knowledge. We take in information from the world around us and intuitively re-order it into something new. Something is not created from nothing but simply transformed from what was before.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Moai: Thanks. It was great meeting you. You are right in your observations. I'll add some environment in my next cow and see if that helps.
    Lege1: I use PS for adjusting colors and other tweaks. But I do all the painting in Painter. I twist and turn my workspace alot. PS with it's static canvas isnot of my taste. What's good with the Revelations thing? Everything but the fact I had to travel nine timezones . Lerning stuff and meeting people would be the main reason to go.
    Ito Saith Webb: I'm glad you like them. I always felt really intimidated by color. I guess that's behind me. Now my mission is to master light and anatomy.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    really cool stuff dude!! gonna have to try more cows! love those glowing creatures and the latest works are ace!!

BLOG
    CgHub

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Shardana: Thanks man
    Ito Saith Webb: he he I find it more fun to paint fun stuff I'm glad it shows. I missed that part in the latest ones. To much focus on texture

Concept: The messenger of King Bore
    The "The messenger of King Bore" is not to be found in your ordinary pet shop dictionary. You will however find it next to "The adominable snowman and "The Serpents of the seas" in any book dealing with mythological creatures. It is known to be a creature of great proportions and strength from the tales of the eskimo people of Greenland. It dwells in the deep of the glacier only emerging to eat using the melt water tunnels and streams to move about.

Note for me: Remember to look at the origional sketch where the neck was heavier and made it more impressive.

Another COW.

Concept: Amber Dragon
    The Amber dragon is found in forrests where it feeds on gigant insects and the bark of the trees.

Last edited by Lander; January 30th, 2008 at 03:07 AM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    One might ask oneself - is this the only thing he ever does when it comes to painting. The answer is .... yes as a matter of fact. This is just about the only exercise i get. But hey 4 hours once a week. I could be alot worse.

But it's not altogether true. I'm working on a line up of characters for a colab ghost story together with Dawnland.

Concept: The Uranian Two Eyed One Eye
    TUTEOE was first discovered in the late 2160's by the universal tracking observation center at Esrange. The first encounter coming from a trajectory beyond Uranus. The latest theory states that these massive beasts float about in the Kuiper Belt where they breed. From there they spread by catching a ride on any comet passing by.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Nice mutants I loved it!

21. The Following User Says Thank You to aka_sova For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Here is my weakest COW in a long time. I guess my lack of devotion finally cought up with me. And I got the votes to prove it

Concept: Flex the flesh
    [/b]Flex the flesh is a breed of snails that was poked in the eye once to many and permanently retracted it's eyes into it's head and grew a meaty semi-transparent eyelid to cover it from any future pointing fingers. And if that wasn't enough it also grew a hundred times in a hundred days. Developing fangs that couldn't let go. They typically dwell in shallow pits or caves from where it can snap any wandering prey.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    hey carl, don't be hard on yerself...just realize that it's always good practice.

cheers!
    d

There is no "I" in team, but there is an "I" in pie. And there's an "i" in meat pie. Meat is the anagram of team...~Shaun "Shaun of the Dead"

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks Dave. But you know what? Don's class starts tuesday
    Hopefully I'll update this SB more frequently after that. (more practice)

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    lucky bastard.
    have a killer time! go nuts in that class! or at least as nuts as you were last time. lol!

cheers!
    d

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    awesome cows dude. looking forward to the character work ;-)

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    RandAlThor: Thanks. What a scary avatar you've got

Update!

Here are the studies I have done so far. Now imagine that I have made a few attemts during my 35 year lifespan at painting ppl. It never ever came out very well. But, a few pointers and some practise and I feel I'm already on my way towards a better understanding of life, anatomy, women, sports.... nope. I still don't get the sports part of life.
    All the studies are less than an hour. Last one is at 10, 25, 45 and 50 minutes.

I got my as kicked by Don (more like a pat really) cos my values were all wron on my 3'rd. So maybe the last one is better. I hope so anyways.
    All made at 1k.

I'll report back soon.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I've always loved your usage of colors. You are really good at depicting transparency and light. Love the amber dragon COW!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    David: You do need a real title like the one I've got.
    NightBlue: I just looked at your SB. Holy crap! You have some really cool stuff in there. I tried to reply in there but for some reason this forum keeps kicking me out when I move around. And I can't remember my password.

Last edited by Lander; March 14th, 2008 at 06:39 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    another 40 min

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hi Lander, great work, I see some images from Don's creature workshop, and from face and figure painting. I did that workshop some months ago, unfortunately that were complicated weeks for me and I couldn't finished it. Keep up the good work. See you on COW.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.