IDW 0031: Medieval War Machine [VOTING]

Join 500,000+ Artists

Its' free and it takes less than 10 seconds!

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

View Poll Results: Vote for the best design:

Voters
53. You may not vote on this poll
  • dragon4lunch

30 56.60%
  • Legato

0 0%
  • Corrick

24 45.28%
  • benkashmir

0 0%
Multiple Choice Poll.
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Topic: Medieval War Machine
    (Topic inspired by silliKONe's suggestion)

Background: The local lord is worried. He has neither the forces nor the influence to be a threat to any of his neighbours, or to be able to stand in their way. You have proposed the idea of war machines to him and he's provided you with all the resources necessary so he can defend and even expand his lands.

Brief:

1. Design a medieval war machine.

2. The lord has much in the way of resources at his disposal, including horses and oxen, but little in the way of men.

-------------------

dragon4lunch
    It's a flamethrower that works by squirting a flamable liquid out of the cannon, based on an Ancient Greek flamethrower that I saw in a documentary! The little glimmer fuse ignites the liquid as it is squirted out! It is advisable to not stand in front of the Dwarven Flamer when this happens!

-------------------

Legato
    i took this on a few ways. the machine is basically a giant leonardian beast, each wheel's drive shaft driven by 3 levels of beasts turning large spokes and thus transferring power to the wheels via a 90 degree gear.

in addition to animal propellent further reductions in manpower are alleviated by primarily staffing the structure with women. other than the seige weaponry and shocktroops/marines/fire department the VAST majority of death is dealt with projectiles be it crossbows or longbows and these functions are easily accomplished in an almost superior manner by women (they look hotter doing it).

to combat fires wet animal hides, steel and bronze plating and recently slain enemy bodies each do their part in extinguishing fiery arrows

[Strike!]for bursts of speed, elephants are put into the wheels and act as giant gerbils[/Strike!]

-------------------

Corrick
    The Bailey Mobile Defense Wheel was commisioned in 1367 to serve as a front line "aggressive defense" war machine. "The Wheel" was especially effective when grouped in sets of six, forming a wall of arrows and extended pikes that could fire omnidirectionally, controlled by a chain-trigger system within the steering house.

While early designs were hailed as the pinnacle of military and engineering inventiveness, later test manouevres and actual combat led to the nickname "Bullseye", due to its distinctive shape when viewed from above, and the incredible ease in which it was dispatched by the enemy. Troops unfortunate enough to be assigned to these defense platforms mockingly painted bullseyes on the front of the three steering houses, recognizing the futility of their plight. The design was ultimately scrapped, to be replaced by the far superior Oldsmobile Cutlass.

-------------------

benkashmir
    after much debating the alchemist and inventors of the kingdom realised that its not a big gigantic weapon that will win their wars, but a one that could be carried by almost any soldier by foot.
    they invented the "manual disc slinger" - as you can see, blue arrows are the directions of the ninja star disc and black are mechanism directions, the footman turn the manuela and its rotation brings the disc forward with great speed due to gear wheels diffrence.. the disc rotate as it goes forward because of the spikes on the sides, just like a gear wheel, again. after the small bump which holds the disc in place turn down due to its chain direction the disc has its energy going forward so it leaves the bump and launches at , i believe to approx 60-80 meters range.. if it does not hit anything it flies back to the footman just like a bumerang but slower and lands vertically..
    the weapon can fire large amount of stars continuesly, making it a very deadly weapon in the medievel battlefield.

Research shows Industrial Design of the Week is addictive.
    Come get your fix.

Sculpty Fight! - The Sculpt & 3D Challenge

Flipbook 2
    www.Philistine.com.au

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Comments....

B]dragon4lunch[/B] Well presented, my favourite for rendition - although it may not capitalise on the small number of men in the brief I am sure such a 'horrific' weapon would have a major psychological advantage over neighbouring states.

Legato I like the idea and that although a colossal war machine it is theoretically realizable. Perhaps my favourite design for capitalising on resources and limiting the requirements for men (and protecting those that are used).

Corrick I like the 'unsuccessful' element of the description, the idea that although this design a solution it is ultimately unhelpful. I like the aim to minimise the requirements for crew. Nicely realized.

benkashmir - I like the basic idea of the design, could have been enhanced by better presentation.

An interesting split between reducing the requirement for men to do the fighting and maximising the effectiveness of each individual fighting man. Not sure really who to vote for as my choice.

MY SKETCHBOOK Updated 05/08/08 - Critique and comments encouraged

Industrial Design Weekly Enviroment of the Week

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Whoa! The poll is finally up! Nice! Vote people, vote!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    dragon4lunch... great rendering... love the beard blocker!... dont wanna have it singed off while burning down the villages.
    I like the design ideas... havent spent much time in IDW, you guys do some great work here!
    Gratz to all!

Drawing is the honesty of the art. There is no possiblity of cheating. it is either good or bad. ~ Dali

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    wow!
    i liked the "chicken-flamethrower" lol
    great design!
    i miss some magic red gemms, i mean , to give a magic concept, or some like that, but anyway, awsome work!!

ps.: please, sorry about my english

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Fun topic! I'll have to keep my eye out for these in the future.

dragon4lunch: hillarious concept! I love the chicken head

Legato: nice one. The image is clipped on top..kind of detracts...also it would be nice to see some more of the mechanical details..just imho.

Corrick: sweet! nice work, I like that yours is a failed design makes it alot more interesting and believable.

benkashmir: Good concept accept I wouldn't want ninja stars flying back at me yikes! Your concept is cool you just need to improve the presentation of the idea.

Good work all

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    You got my vote Dragon. Although it isn't a huge machine like I would typically imagine with the term "war machine" the design and execution is excellent. Very cool, and I saw that documentary too!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I voted Corrick. Tge idea seemed cool and the fact that it was mostly a failed experiment in battle makes it more interesting.
    Dragon4lunch: love the artwork, but I cant shake the feeling that that gun is similar to the chicken gun in dungeon siege. lol
    Also the ebard shield is indeed awesome. props

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    but I cant shake the feeling that that gun is similar to the chicken gun in dungeon siege
    Oh, ChaoticKnight, I never played Dungeon Siege. That is a Microsoft game, I think, with the medieval chick on the cover, yes? They already have a gun with a chicken head in there? Hmmm. Oh well, mine is waaaaay cooler than theirs! :p

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    lol i dunnoooo.... it shoots live poultry instead of flame ;P
    its a fun game though you should try it ^^

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    tks ham-e and d-holme for your crit.. its a shitty render, i cant agree more.

i will post an update for it in my Sb, regular day jpb takes all my time now.

a small clarification for the concept - the ninja stars coming back above the soldiers in a non lethal speed and lands vertically.. they do not harm the soldier.. (thank god, cause if they have, those toy choppers would cut my hands and i wouldnt be able to paint)..

i am upgrading this concept to also serve as a stationary battle post.. the chain will roll by bycicle like paddles.. more strength = speed of stars = range and its free 2 hands for aiming.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey, does anyone think that it looks like my dwarft only has one arm? A friend of mine, (who I know is overly critical) felt it looked like he was missing an arm.

I tried fixing it, but from this angle, you just can't see the other arm. Please le me know what you guys think!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    dragon4lunch - I can not think that it is an issue, as you say, if a photo was taken from that angle you would see little of the arm. If you really wanted to show the arm then moving the 'gun' forward would reveal a little more but might look less realistic for a 'pumping' motion.

MY SKETCHBOOK Updated 05/08/08 - Critique and comments encouraged

Industrial Design Weekly Enviroment of the Week

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.