NEW HERE? SPEAK UP! - a beginner's guide - Page 6
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Page 6 of 22 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 ... LastLast

Thread: NEW HERE? SPEAK UP! - a beginner's guide

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey there! My name is andie.
    Just found this site while looking for some pictures of morpheus. Hmmm this site reminds me of the CGSociety but more casual. Anyways, I have never had serious art lessons. I do not have the ability to color (yes, I was deprived of crayons and coloring books as a child ) . I'll probably just be lurking around since...I learn how to draw in a more umm... queer way. Can't help but notice one of the pics on the main site. It's one of the installation pics of Vampire Bloodlines!!! Also that woman from Baldur's Gate (was it Bodhi?). I also take photographs and do some simple photo manipulating.

Well thats about it.
    Nice meetin ya all (yoroshiku)

I forgot to say...I ummm don't excel much in drawing....just here to probably ask for tips once in a while.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Helloes...Zeroe wants to see you nak....I mean...be your friend..Look at my Art!!!!

Pretty good thread title eh!
    I'm Nikki or 'Zeroe' and I'm a poor (that will change...) Illustrator from Vienna (and Germany...and Ethiopia, Burundi...Kenya....Croatia....Ghana...strange...I know) currently living in England and I thought I'd start sharing my work on here from now on and be part of the community...yes! I am a Pro-Active Member of our Society! Anyways, my work is very different I guess...but I usually stick to starting something in a traditional media like pen, Ink, Water Colors or Acrylics...and then If I like it enough rework it on my computer...

I used to hang around this forum quite a lot...but then lost my way and strayed into the dark...I've been making a little bit of an effort for a while running my sketchbook thread...so..check..that..out. I'm hoping I can stay active for a while now and start being part of this awesome community again.

Anyways, I'm humbled to rejoin such a talented community and am hoping to bring some smiles, learn more, make friends and hopefully inspire a little...

But now I want a Cheeseburger...Vegetarians..you don't know what you're missing.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hi my name is Celina, it's nice to meet you all. Everybody here has great artistic skill, I know I've seen a lot of you in the press, it's great to be here!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hello all, my name is David. I live a few miles from West London. I'm 22 and of Welsh/Italian/French/Romanian/Russian origin. The exact percentages have never been known and so I will, for arguement's sake just be referred to as 'Taffy the Welsh boy'.

I have zero formal art education outside the standard secondary school pre-GCSE art class, which, as you might expect from a teenager in a mixed sex school, never took seriously. My eye for detail, artistic expression and observation skills have always been noted in anything I do.

I love telling stories, expressing feelings, a message and an overall communication in more ways then words. I am a gifted wordsmith as well as a visual artist. I have long lusted after flash animation. I have a few book and film ideas I need to eventually start working on. I also have many short animation film ideas but I suffer from serious problems.

I am absolutely terrorfied of mistakes. I cannot start something most of the time for fear of A) it not looking right B) not coming out how I saw it in my mind C) negative crit from others and D) wasting time in something that would meet one of the previous points.

I am also fighting with finding my style and being a perfectionist.

I will post up a sketchbook shortly to demonstrate what I have so far after a few years (pitiful).

I am aware of a mentor project you have here which I think will be perfect for me but I feel I need to meet a certain level before I can be accepted under somebody's wing.

I hope to eventually become happy and confident in relaying my stories, thoughts, emotions and making things I touch look good I would also love to eventually turn a hobby into a vocation. I hate 9 - 5 they drive me nuts and turn me to drink.

It's also worth adding that I have been hunting high and low for somewhere to organise a sketchbook meet. I feel being amongst like-minded people would send me head-first into the place I want to be. I can see myself sitting at a Wetherspoons table surrounded by people I've only just met, scribbling and laughing and drinking and just going nuts! I hope that day comes soon!

I hope you elite persons here (and believe me, the talent here is INSANE!) can accept me as 'one of us....'.

So, my name is David. I'm a Brit and it's been a pleasure to find you all!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hi, My name is Mark im 16 and from Mansfield in the Nottinghamshire area. This isnt my first post here as i started a sketchbook (in my sig lol) before i saw this thread.

Recentley i have been really intrested in art mainly Marvel/DC style comic book art and digital painting. Because of this I have decided to start draw as much as i can in-between exams and what not. Currently i have not got hardly any of the skill as the majority of people nor do I do art at school but I hope to improve and become involved in the comic book or general concept art industy.

Being here i hope to gain new skills, friends and learn how important art is in the world.

Thanks for reading

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Greetings everyone, my name's Marcelo. I'm a 20-year-old student at McGill University in Montreal, Canada, and I'm studying to become an English teacher.

I have no formal education past high school art, but I've gotten into the art field mostly for my own enjoyment, and partly because a few friends of mine wanted to push me into the webcomic arena as I had the best artistic talent out of us three.

Past that, nothing much to tell, other than I'm from Brazil and I love me some comic art and the community/talent here. In a miscellaneous bit of trivia, I was deciding whether I should join this site or deviantART, and settled for here because you all take art to a more serious and substantial level rather than just pageviews and popularity. I also found out about ConceptArt through the Encyclopedia Dramatica site, and through incidents such as Snapesnogger and marky83.

Here's to a good new year, and it's a pleasure to meet you all!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hello everyone, and nights as well or whatsoever. =)

So after all it's probably quite obvious that i am new here as well, and was trying to dig up the topic section, where i could interview my self a bit, but didn't find out any unless this one.

So I'm 17 years old guy, from Finland. ''Where the santa clause should live hehe...'' My name is Vesa, or Vesku what ever you like to call that as. =)

Recently i am studying in Vocational school, in electricity side.
    What's my 2nd grade out of 3.

Something about from my self, and how did i end up to this forum?
    Well as a person since from my childhood I've been always interested to take pen over my hand, and some paper to draw all kind of pictures from realistical characters till to the fictional Aliens, nor machines.
    Most of my time I've been always drawed with my 0,7 mm ink over A4, nor A3 papers but it depends from the picture i am going to make.
    Anyways recently about hmm 2 months ago i was starring to interested to use some PS program to make all kind of concept works, well least for trying by now but it still needs some time to get used to it till i can use it properly, also to to get some practise on it.

Most of my 'ink' works, what i usually do are from the video games, what i convert in concept form from the picture.

I got some of my works in progress, what should be done in a week or so. I could upload some of 'em to see, and to get some opinions from them, if it's possible.

Oh well... I think thats all for now on. This is my second day in forum and still need to get in touch. Been got found some brilliant tutorials out there, what has given me a new views of concept works.

Edit: Oh yeah, and if someone wants to give some tutorial links, or what might be useful for this ''ps novice user'' I would be happy. =)

Thank you =) ~Z

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Cow PHEAR! Teh Collie is here!

Hai peoples! I'm completely new, as you may have guessed already ^^
    I'm B.C. (long story behind the name) I typically do Traditional art (pencil, paper, ink, ect.) but I have dabbled a bit in CG, not much though. My preffered tools of the trade are basic pen, pencil, and paper. My style is somewhat anime-like (or so I've been told) I specialize in Anthromorphs and humans/humanoids (I'm not a furry/furre).
    I was born and raised in the land of the midnight sun;Alaska, and moved to Colorado over a year ago with my husband and children. I'm pretty easy going, and I enjoy attempting new ways to do art.
    I've always wanted to get a degree in art, but where I'm from all that will get you is a job at UPS designing displays. That and I've only ever taken one art class, and failed it (that was in 6th grade...won't go into that unless someone asks)
    Anywhozel, sorry if this seems long winded, but I didn't know what else to say ^^;.
    I'm a mother of two, married to the military, and a long time gamer (since I was about five years old). Any questions you have about me, I'll be more then willing to answer ^^.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Goodness, this place is a bit overwhelming, what with its multiple forums and excitement and all. I am happy to have discovered it, though. My name is Ariel; I am 17 and I live in North Carolina. I'm a homeschooled student in my 4th semester at community college.
    Is this even the right forum for introductory threads? I promised I checked--twice, in fact.

In any case, I will go on. I'm hoping to attend an in-state college and study art, and then go on to study at an atelier ..somewhere. But I'm not positive on the former direction, as I am of the classical persuasion when it comes to the visual arts. I suppose at this point I figure that the exposure to various media, styles and "schools" can be benificial, so as to broaden my horizens. Who knows, at this point! Not I!

I've been pursuing finer work with graphite and seeking to understand crosshatching and so forth as of late, but my background is in charcoal. A couple of recent drawings-
    self portrait
    still life

Well, hello!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    LOL HAI IM NEW!

I haven't been able to take interest in any forums in like, forever, but I really like this place from the attitude and the way you all treated Snapesnogger that one time so I figure since I've got an internet stalker now who constantly uses DA to harass me, I'll start looking for other (better) art communities.

A little about me:
    I'm currently an art major at some community college down south you've probably never heard of called Rose State. This is my second semester; I'm a fresh widdle eighteen-year-old.

I started out being a huge anime fanatic, but over time, started to get progressively more annoyed. Now I'm very picky about my anime and how generic the art style is. I actually started drawing because of my previous step-dad-now-divorced and his tendency to draw Wolverine. He was really good, and I wanted to be like him. I kept drawing, and when I discovered anime at the ripe widdle age of ten or eleven, I was heavily inspired. Now I am influenced by a myriad of styles, some anime, some American comic, some semi-realistic.

I really like improving.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hi, my name is Anji. I feel a bit nervous posting here, as though I'm putting myself in the "UNWORTHY" category.

At the moment i'm 17, I live in Australia and have just finished high school. I plan on studying Animation at qantm this year and I have a job as a designer for an upcoming skateboard company (though I feel its not stimulating me creatively). I hope to go work in the gaming industry as a character designer or a concept artist.

I've been drawing seriously since I was about 12, though without any proper training I've only really started getting better in the last 2 years. I aim to be able to draw human figures from scratch by the end of this year, and by the end of next year I hope to be able to produce detailed characters. For the last two years I've been trying to draw whole characters, but at the end of last year I choose to revise my strategy and learn how to draw parts of the body first and concentrate on joints and muscles until i'm confident with them, and then start on whole poses.

I want to gain more confidence in my art and myself as an artist by being here, so please don't hold back in critique!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hi, I'm Mike, aka Big Nutter. I'll accept BN, Big N, Nutter, and then some Cases of annoyance, B'utter.

I've got the Nickname of B'utter for my Pencil work, amongst other things. Some of this is due to dislexia, and others to the Lack of Practice.

I'm Currently Doing an SFX course at Uni.. and I've noticed that My pencil work is very bad... and I know it.

Currently DA has all the pensil work I want to at the mo: http://bignutter.deviantart.com/

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Brendan N View Post
    "I is noob, where lavatory?"

Me no find lavatory!

So, I looked over this thread's how to put art up an attachment guide, attached my files, got the attach tag in, but when I try to post it, I get:

Fatal error: Allowed memory size of 8388608 bytes exhausted (tried to allocate 30720 bytes) in /home/concept/public_html/forums/includes/adminfunctions.php on line 1085
    So, let's help this poor little noob find the lavatory and tell me what I'm doing wrong, or what that means. Help very much appreciated.

--Taven

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Oh God. It posted like 5-times. I honestly thought I wasn't getting through. Anyone have any idea what the error meant then?

Edit:

It seems I may not be the only one with this problem? See Here.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hi guys, I'm new, I joined up this afternoon.

My main interests are Games, Art and...well more art. I'm a Student studying in Norwich, England and studying for a BA Hons in Games Art and Design, this is my final year so I'm using what time I have left to really push myself to the limit and I think this place is a great way to get me going and motivated.

I've already taken a good look around of this place and I have to say there are a heck of a lot of talented people on this board so my hat goes off to every single one of you. It would be lovely to receive some feedback on my work because although I have a DA account (refuse to share it here) it isn't exactly original and I'm not too proud of it. I know what DA thinks of me but I would love to hear what the professionals think of me, in return you'll get some feedback from me .

Many thanks for your time and I hope to see a lot of you soon! You can find my sketchbook in my sig below so please feel free to check it out and tell me what you think. Thanks and happy drawing!

"There's no such thing as the perfect artist"

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Smile

Hi everyone. I hate to bother everyone with yet another introduction, but I believe I'll feel more confident posting here if I know I've properly introduced myself.

Well then... for about a year I've been seriously working on my drawing. Right now I'm 15, which I think must make me one of the younger members around here judging by what I've seen. Right now I have a large amount of free time to draw, so I'm trying to become more skilled in the basics of drawing. I guess if I want comments I should post a sketchbook thread, so off I go!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hello to you all! I'm recently arrived to the CA forum, though I love the site and always find it inspiring. I'm excited about joining the forum and the opportunities here. Theres so much to read through, I can see im going to get lost for the first few hours!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Greetings all! My name is Tom and I'm an unemployed artist. Surprise, surprise. Anyway, I'm a Star Wars and Star Trek geek, but I really love all areas of sci-fi. I'm a sculptor trying to build up a portfolio so I can become an action-figure sculptor. I'm also an illustrator, but haven't had much financial luck there, either. I'll post pics at some point, but for now I just wanted to say hi to everyone and I'm very excited about joining. Thanks.

Seek truth through art and science.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Heya's y'all :)

Hi everybody!
    Name's Yogev, I'm 22 y/o and living in Israel.
    I'm currently in the army, serving as a search and rescue lieutenant. I'm released from duty next month, so yeah, quite excited about that...

I actually joined CA ages ago, but what with all the joining the army thingy, didn't have much time to create and / or appreciate art.

I don't have any formal training in art, just plenty of doodling and sketching when, really, I should have paid attention during conferences.

Anyways, I hope to continue being inspired by all the fantastic artistry around here, and perhaps even contribute some of my own.

Peace out!

There are no stupid questions, just inquisitive fools.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hello to all, I'm a former lurker, finally forced into the light to improve my art. I'm 19 years old, and living in singapore. In a few months I will be serving my term in the army like Yogev above me, except he's going out, and I'm going in. =[ So, I guess I had better start learning and improving my art all I can now before they get me. A pleasure to meet you all.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hello,

I'm not really new here but I've barely posted anything.

My name is Patrik and I'm 21, soon 22 years old. I live in sweden on the west coast.
    I've always been doodling on my school books and etc but I never really took my drawing seriously. Used to think knowing how to draw was a talent you were borned with...

So now I'm here, trying to get better and having fun while learning. Because I love to draw, but I love more to see my progress. I'm a bit lost at the moment because I don't really know where to start...

Take care..

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey.

I've actually been lurking for a while, but only now mustered to bravery to post something here. This place is amazing and cool and woah look at that o:

I'm a comic artist of unknown name, origin, age, or gender (the latter doesn't really matter, seeing as I'm a trannie ). I hope to one day become a concept artist or storyboard artist at a movie studio (OMG PIXAR), but if I can, I'd like to make a living off of my comics. I doubt that'll happen, but whatever. :B

This place is awesome.

Y HALLO THAR

My science fiction webcomic, FLEDGLING
    My SheezyArt gallery
    My FurAffinity gallery ( OH SWEET JEBUS! THE HORROR!)

Ironically, I'm not a furry. I JUST LIKE DRAWING GAY ROBOT DEER PEOPLE OKAY BYE

SKETCHBOOK ATTACKKKK

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Hello

Hello ^ ^* I'm a 23 year old artist from Ohio who has given up on the whole art school thing due to the $$$ running out >.O HOWEVER I am attempting to self teach where I left off in college and I have been enjoying the assignment ideas and learning from what I've seen others show on here. I find this forum very inspiring.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hello, I am pretty much a noob that's run out of ideas to draw, I am here mostly because I want to push myself to make some progress .

Carnifex is offline Registered User Level 17 Gladiator: Spartacus' Dimachaeri
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,061 Times in 830 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Taven View Post
    Oh God. It posted like 5-times. I honestly thought I wasn't getting through. Anyone have any idea what the error meant then?

Edit:

It seems I may not be the only one with this problem? See Here.
    if you haven't found out somewhere else yet,i think this is simply that your picture is too big. you'll have to scale it down with some photo/picture editing program,preferrably to screen size (not bigger than 1000 pixels if possible).
    welcome all,so far.

Sketchbook

Sketchbooks of inspiration:
    Marc Taro|Maxetormer|ZhuZhu|Jeri|Dobu]

Always think about:
    lighting! design! perspective! proportion!
    And (self)motivation is still everything.

Toxdel is offline Yes, yes i do own a bar of soap Level 5 Gladiator: Myrmillo
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Toxdel's guide to generic artist introductions:

Hi everyone! My name is (insert name here) and I am (insert age here). I like to draw! Imagine that! I've been drawing sense as long as I can remember! When I was a kid I liked drawing with crayons! Imagine that! I've been lurking on CA for a while but I've decided to make a first post! I'm currently a starving artist! Imagine that! But I'm working on improving so I can become the top concept artist in video games! Imagine that!. Come check out my sketch book and make a post or I'll be forced to cut myself again. (at this point if you are between the ages of 12-17 make certain you emphasize that your only such and such years old).

Cheers everyone!

Last edited by Toxdel; February 24th, 2008 at 04:35 AM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hi I'm Saa22. I love to draw but my scanner is broken
    BTW ChaseTheHedgehog is banned correct?
    I'v heard nasty tales about that kid....

System
    Of
    A
    Down

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    You are so him.

Oh hi, this was a waste of a first post.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey you all

I've been to this website by just surfing the web a few times. Everyone on here is very talented at least what I saw. About me um I like to draw just started to really drawing in photoshop with a tablet!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hi to you all at CA.org.
    My name's Lorenzo Zandri and I'm from Ancona, Italy.
    My journey into the world of drawing has benn a little strange.
    It begun 8 years ago, when I attented the International School of Comics (in Rome and Jesi). In 2003 I completed the studies and, unexplainably, I begun to study Psychology at University (sill I don't know why ).
    Last year I interrupted the University without finishing it (sigh!) and I came back to the drawing board.
    I discovered this site after I bought the Massive Black "Character Ideation" DVD by Marko Djurdjevic (an absolute slap in the face full of wisdom!). I hope to start a Sketchbook as soon as possible and learn new techniques and styles, especially in the Fine Arts field. The only techniques I know are the comic book ones: line drawing pencils ,inking and a little bit of color (sadly, not too much color ).
    One last note: I'm Italian and sometimes my English could suck. Please forgive my future syntax errors.
    Cheers!

Page 6 of 22 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 ... LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 162