NEW HERE? SPEAK UP! - a beginner's guide - Page 3
Join Free Art WorkShopJoin Premium Art Workshop

Page 3 of 22 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 ... LastLast

Thread: NEW HERE? SPEAK UP! - a beginner's guide

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Ignonimious- Are you finally starting a sketchbook thread? To answer you questions, just go to the top of the page in one of the forums, and right below "User CP" there should be an "Add Thread" button. Click it. Scroll down until you see "Additional Options." There should be a button there that says "Manage Attachments." Click it, and a new window comes up. Click the "Browse Button" to find the file in your computer that you want to upload. Once you find it, click the "Upload button." Repeat browsing and uploading until you have all the images that you want. Once you're done uploading images and typing your message, just click "Submit New Thread" and you're done!
    To get back to the screen where you can upload images, you have to click the "Go Advanced" button bellow the Quick Reply box.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hello there, I'm a newbie too
    My name is Kristina Gehrmann and I'm a student (17 years old) from Germany. I'm a freelancer also and currently working on a series of illustrations, but I am not a professional (yet) b/c I'm not making a living from the stuff I do. After school I want to attend art college to improve my skills, so I can become a professional artist/illustrator some day

I love to paint in Photoshop 7 (have been forgetting about Painter lately, but I want to work with it again) with my Aiptek (yeah, Aiptek) tablet. In traditional media, I prefer oil paints because they are so smooth and creamy and smell good. I have some of them on my website http://www.mondhase.de

I like the idea and atmosphere of conceptart, people seem to be very experienced and skilled... makes me want to be around here more.
    I've got just one question: in which section should I put my finished paintings, if so? It's not excellent stuff, but perhaps not critique center stuff either. It's somewhere in between and I'm afraid it's not even concept drawings o_O

Thanks for listening :]
    Kristina

Carnifex is offline Registered User Level 17 Gladiator: Spartacus' Dimachaeri
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,061 Times in 830 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    looking at your website i'd say they're good enough for finally finished. there's some funky stuff here and there,but overall you know what you're doing.
    not everything on this site needs to be concept drawings to be posted
    (most of the stuff i see in finally finished are illustrations anyway)

Sketchbook

Sketchbooks of inspiration:
    Marc Taro|Maxetormer|ZhuZhu|Jeri|Dobu]

Always think about:
    lighting! design! perspective! proportion!
    And (self)motivation is still everything.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hi, I'm new here, just registered. I don't usually make a "hi I'm new" post or thread when I join a forum, but I already have a question about the site. When I activated my account, first the link didn't work, it had some kind of fatal error or some shit, then I tried the other link in the e-mail and that didn't work either. Luckily, there was yet another link that said "**** Does the URL above not work? ****" and that one worked, so I "manually" activated my account, but the site told me I was already activated and I should try logging in. Okay, so I did, the site thanked me for doing so, but the page that I was sent to immediately next said that I had entered an invalid username and/or password. But I didn't. I was logged in, and it said "Welcome, Sean Quixote" up at the top corner there... That's all awfully weird, innit? It isn't a problem if I am allowed to post this message, but still, does this happen a lot?

Anyway. Something about myself. Let's see, I like art, in all its forms, but I can't draw for shit. I have ideas. Visions, if you will indulge my conceit (I have ), but I can't translate them into an image because I can't draw or anything; I usually try to find someone that's willing to take my idea and translate it into reality for me - do y'all do that here? I plan on learning how to use Photoshop and other stuff so maybe I can try my hand at creating landscapes or spacescapes or just whatever I'm capable of creating, but until I get off my ass and do that I'll probably mostly lurk around here, or occasionally talk (you know, as apposed to doing?) about stuff in the meantime.

Cheerios

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hello people!

Thankful noob here. I just wanted to say "thanks Carnifex", I can already feel the knowledge flowing to me ("It's mine! All mine!"). This post is a great step-up to get over that first hurdle ("how does this thing work anyway?") and other fixable weak excuses to not post and just lurk in my dark cave petting my Wacom (I mean that literally of course. It's not slang for other stuff.) and calling it 'my precious'

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hi guys i'm fairly new here. Not really to art. I need some welcomes

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    i have a question that i've spent the past hour or so trying to answer but must be overlooking the answer somewhere:
    i would really like to post a bunch (5-10) of my finished paintings to get some critiques on my overall style. i dont plan on going back over the paintings, i dont really want critiques based on the paintings themselves, i just want you guys to rip apart my style and tear me a new one.
    which forum should i post in?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    depending on the quality either finally finished or critique center. if it is wrong somehow,the mods will move it anyway.

although you could probably start a sketchbook with them,and post other pics afterwards. for style crits (which are hard to pull off anyway) i'd say this'd work best.

Sketchbook

Always think about:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Mornin'.

Design student based in Auckland here, and the only game junkie in a class full of print and motion graphics designers - or so it seems... hehe.

I've spent a lot of time working on game models and graphics, but my drawing skills need some TLC. A friend from Guild Wars, interestingly enough, pointed me here. Definitely makes my work look mediocre.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hi all,

Where shall I begin? Well, my name is Brittney.
    (Hence my username.) I am, obviously new to
    the forums. I have been home schooled by
    both of my parents throughout my entire
    twenty years of life. (In the state of Texas,
    to be exact.) I, personally feel I have gained
    quite a bit of moral standards for myself. (As
    opposed to attending public school, I mean.)
    I, as well enjoy creative writing in my spare
    time.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    OoOh I never do these things but heck, this place is pretty big, so hello.
    I'm a design&illustration student, trying my best to learn with limited education opportunities and no guidance. =D

I'm 18, from Russia living in South Africa, and a fear for trying and failing. Also, I like coffee

I like to draw, 2D is my "thing" though I hope to try my hand at other stuff eventually.

Sketchbooks to see:
    ~ Leo Ki ~ Zweit ~ Wilkerson ~ Wheezy ~

Sketchbook:Volchiha

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey there, might as well introduce myself as well.
    Name's Kurt, 25 year old graphic designer here; just graduated, lookin for work. I joined here though because I've always had an interest in and love of drawing. Unfortunately my drawing skills have fallen by the wayside in recent months/years and I really want to remedy that, so here I am, looking to learn and draw and hopefully make some friends along the way.

Nice to meet you all!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey guys, just stumbled over this site in the last week and have been looking for something like this for a long long time. My name is James, 20 years old and going to Uni this sept to study Computer Game Art and Design (uk). Ive been a ammature texture artist for afew years now. Currently work for a BF2 MOD (PointofExistence). Recently my passion for art has engulfed me and its screaming to get out. Currently working my ass off to improve my skills at drawing still life and the human form.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hello all!!
    First let me say, the work on this forum is absolutely staggering. I envy all of you that can draw and create the way you do. Jealous of ya!!

I am a rock artist here in Los Angeles, and I'm also a professional Selene from Underworld double. I go to photoshoots, conventions, and am working on a Underworld movie short.

I would love for someone to draw me as the new selene in the art form you guys do, color or black and white. I have many many references if anyone needs them, of me in the actual movie costume, including the elusive trench coat.

How would I go about asking if someone would be interested in drawing me?

Anyway this forum is huge and I have alot of reading to do,right now its all foreign to me, very overwhelming. I hope to speak to you guys later. And anyone in the area please send me a IM on yahoo or Aim I'd love to chat.

Here's a couple pictures of me

Last edited by Selenela; June 10th, 2007 at 06:52 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Just arrived.. The arists here are.. terrifying. I mean I thought I was allright but this place really sets me back.

Anyway. Currently applying for college in Edinburugh/Ireland. Nice to meet you all.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hi, I'm new (duh!). I like to be referred to as Toxic on forums, but its nowhere near my real name. I'm 20 years old, and I am learning art concepts so I can one day be somewhat proficient at photography. I like to draw, also, but don't have any natural talent in that area, so I will subject you guys to none of that. Hopefully I get the hang of this forum, because it looks pretty cool .

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Another newbie joining! Been aware of this site for a while, I finally said to myself "To heck with it, im in". 19 years old, currently studying graphic design.

The main reason I came here is because I feel need of discipline in my drawing habits and to learn new things

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Finally posting

Hi, joined a few weeks ago but never got around to posting until now. I'm currently a freelance illustrator working within the UK but originally wanted to get into the creative side of video gaming. However it seemed my knowledge of 3D Studio, Lightwave, Maya and so on was lacking so took the illustration route.

As my first post here I'd like to say how inspiring this site is. It's huge and the work here is astounding. I'll set up a sketch thread soon I think.

I'm really here though to find a direction, as mentioned above I've been freelancing for a few years but it is a struggle. My main port of call will probably be the Industry Jobs section.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Yet another Noob Introductoy Post to add to your neverending list!

Names Ryan and i guess I like Art *clears throat*

Ive been part of the sig/wallpaper making crowd for at least a year and a half using Images i someday would love to be able to create myself.

I love Science fiction,fantasy and life in general And i want to use my imagination to illustrate it in my own way!

So i came here to learn So Point me to the Tutorials and I will try and keep up the good name of these boards!

-Ryan

A FIREY PERSONALITY!!

You can't deny laughter; when it comes, it plops down in your favorite chair and stays as long as it wants.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Finally! this is exactly the kind of art site i was looking for. As soon as i saw the amazing work on the front page i knew this site was gonna be good.

I'm going into senior year at high school and I'm an aspiring illustrator. i hope, in the future, to work as a concept artist for video games or as a comic artist (maybe both?). Thats what i wanna be now and its really influencing my style, but in 2 years i might change my mind...you never really know.

I enjoy music, collaborating with people on ideas and drawings, movies, and video games. Anyways, i'll probably be hangin around the site and posting some of my work. I'm hoping to learn photoshop as well as some other programs.

- R

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I'm posting in the newbie thread because - DUN DUN DUN - I am a noob. Hi all!

I'll say right now, I'm not a very good artist when compared to the likes of most of the people here. Especially lately, considering that I've been in the middle of a huuuuge art slump. (It's rather depressing!) I joined in the hopes that I could submit some of my sketchy stuff (in the appropriate subforum, of course) and get some feedback to let me know what I'm doing wrong.

I am very much able to take criticism. I'm not nearly good enough to be considered professional, but drawing, sketching and the like has been a hobby of mine since I was in elementary school, and I want to be able to continue to grow with it. Lately I've all but given up on it, and I feel like there's something missing in my life when I don't have the motivation or energy to draw.

So my hope here is that I'll be able to get some advice, tips and critiques from all the wonderful artists around this place.

Will post some pictures when I have access to my home computer.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    'allo there concept art dot org forumgoers.

I'm here because I love to draw.. in theory.

People are the most interesting thing I can think to draw, so I've been focusing on making people for the last ten years or so. I've drawn them many ways over the years, and no matter what I do, no matter what I change or improve.. people hate my work. I've not let that bother me, until I have, and as soon as I got the chance, I simply stopped showing people what I do. Now for the first time in a long time, I am in an environment where it doesn't matter whether or not I draw. While I tell people around me that it's something I like to do, they never see any proof of this. When people see nothing, drawing but not showing and simply not drawing are as good as the same. I've actually been slacking off recently, and it bothers me.

I'm left with a stack of giant, mostly blank sketchbooks in my bedroom, as well as a nearly-full package of white copy paper; stuff that would have driven me mad to see years ago. I know I could do a lot of drawing with all this beautiful blank freedom staring me in the face, but I need for it to matter. The remedy for this problem, I figure, is putting myself in a situation where people can see my work again-- making it very apparent when I've been slacking off, so that I'll have more of an incentive not to.

So yeah, I'm way rusty when I wasn't even that great to begin with, but I will show you my rust. (so rusty it is, you will see.) I can't wait for you guys to rip my stuff to shreds, just like old times.

Last edited by satog_sol; July 4th, 2007 at 03:59 AM. Reason: i have a nitpicky face

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hi. I found this site while searching around. I just joined so hereís my little introductory post. :3 My nameís Amber, Iím 20 years old and I live in Georgia. Iím currently taking online classes at AiO (Art Institute Online). Iím pursuing an AS in Graphic Design, but drawing is where my heart is. I also enjoy creative writing, photography and making web graphics.

Drawing/art is my passion, so itís on my mind almost 90% of the time. Iíve been self taught all my life, but this year is the first time Iíve ever taken any formal lessons. My style of drawing is largely based on anime and manga. I know itís a popular style, but for some reason I like it a lot. I donít know if the anime style is widely accepted here, but I hope youíll enjoy it anyway. Iím actually trying to break away from that style in order to learn the basics. In the past, Iíve been more of a fanartist, but I have now created my own characters and ideas and I feel a deep connection to them, which Iím happy about. I honestly donít know if my art is even good enough to be posted here, but Iíve got nothing to lose.

One reason that I'm joining is because I have yet to find someone I can relate to. Iíve never had any real artist friends and Iíd like to have someone to talk to, who actually knows what Iím feeling. I also joined, hoping to find some tips and advice to help improve my art. I never tire of learning new things about art, so I figure this can only help me. Just made a DA account about a week or so ago. Not much there yet, but if you want to check it out, you're more than welcome to.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey guys n gals,

I'm so totally new here its kind of scary.. Especially seing all the incredible work on these forums!
    But basically I really need to get back into the swing of creating art, sketching, coming up with ideas and getting some feedback..

And from what Ive seen, its an inpiring place to be..

But anyway, A little about me..
    Im a freelance Illustrator from Melbourne Australia, I mostly work on pinup girl art, but dabble in the sequential artform aswell. I look forward to posting some sketches soon and chilling with you all

*~Forever Dreaming~*
    www.martinabel.com

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Should'nt there be loads of "Hey! Welcome to CA!"-type of post by senior members here? Not that they're obligated to welcome EVERY new member,.. but it seems silly to post yet another "Hello, I'm new here"-post if no one seems to be replying..

Anyways, I'm new here! ^_^

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    well,most people actually don't care that much,because there are so many new members everyday.
    first and foremost this thread is a guide to get you started
    but welcome anyways

Sketchbook

Always think about:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hehe, thanks! It's just different than any other forum I've ever joined I guess.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey I'm new here. I found this site recently by doing an image search of drawing manakins for a friend and I'm really glad I found it.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hello! I'm new - I'm 18, and just starting formal art classes this year. I've been drawing for about 6 years and I'm really excited to improve - I'm so glad to find a art forum that offers real critiques. I'm not going to lie, part of what got me over here was seeing from other sources that you give real critiques, not just pats on the back.

4ntimatter is offline if a ghost went into the fog would he be mist? Level 2 Gladiator: Ordinarii
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey everyone.

I was just wondering do we still have that cool group ps like thing where we can all draw together, I can't find it, So is it gone?

Page 3 of 22 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 ... LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 160