NEW HERE? SPEAK UP! - a beginner's guide - Page 19

Join 500,000+ artists on ConceptArt.Org.

Its' free and it takes less than 10 seconds!

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Page 19 of 22 FirstFirst ... 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 LastLast
    Thanks
    Hey everyone, I started a hello thread in the introductory section before I read the post here asking us not to do that so I sincerely apologise for that!

I am not only new to this website, but to drawing fantasy art in general and am hoping this place will be of great help to me through crtitiques etc.

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Hello everyone, I'm new in this forum...

Thanks
    My name Francis , I rarely post but I check the finished art threads a lot to inspire me.

Ive been working in the game industry for 2 years now as a concept artist.

In Indiana, USA. Encyclopedia Dramatica has a really good article about that state .-.
    Thanks

Smile Another newbie ^^

Um, I'm really new (like.... only been here for about 10 min or so, ha ha) here. My name's Dani and I'm still in high school (senior after summer's over). I'm not sure if I should post any pics here or not, so if someone can say anything to me to give me a thumbs up or so, that'd be great.

I first heard of this site after reading a couple threads started by that annoying Chasethehedgehog, who came from DeviantArt. After reading those threads, I contemplated about joining, since noone on dA has offered me help or anything. I heard this site could offer constructive criticism, and that's something I want to experience. I like drawing anime/manga, but I know that it tends to be frowned upon here, since, from what I read in a few other threads, people blindly think that they can draw good without learning anatomy just by doing anime/manga. I'm trying to be different. I've looked through a few anatomy books, and I'm starting to get the hang of it.
    I also like drawing these little machine-like things I call Machina, and there's a few pictures I did pretty recently of some.

For the record, I suck at backgrounds. That and hands.

Anyway, I hope I can get the help I'm seeking here. There seems to be a ton of awesome art here, so I hope I can get inspiration here, too ^^

also, if I do get a thumbs up for posting pics, I'll gladly edit this post with a few of my favorites.

Thanks

sorry -.-'

I posted "hi I'm new" in the wrong place.... oops.
    Well.... hi. I'm new.
    The name is Jennifer, I'm a painter. Don't know if that's what the thing is here or not......

here's a picture.

Attached Images Attached Images  

Thanks

NEW HERE? SPEAK UP! - a beginner's guide

Hello Everyone,
    I am Ann and i am new here.

Thanks
    Hello CA.

I would be brief by omitting my username, but then I'd feel compelled to point out why I omitted my username, as well as my confidence in your ability to look a few pixels up and to the left to find it.
    But then I realized that that's not very brief at all. So, I'll just say I'm DementedSnake, and move along.

I'm a(n almost) complete novice who's learned a few tricks (no, not that kind) here and there. I spend my time practicing and procrastinating...not necessarily in that order. I don't go to any art school, but I do run a little group on deviantART that's dedicated to helping people practice and giving out voluntary 'homework' to spark people's imaginations.

Sadly, we have a little under forty members, and only three or four regular participants. I think dA might just be turning into a crappy version of Facebook and no one [ANNOYED RANT REDACTED] with their mother's hair dryer.

Anyway, I mentioned that I'm not going to school, or taking any classes, but I do spend almost every day trying to teach myself and practice. Some days it's easy. Some days I stare blankly at my screen until I cry and then go watch TV. Ah, the joys of severe depression.

So I'm here hoping to glean a bit of knowledge from you guys, and perhaps improve my outlook by improving my abilities too. I'd like to go into some digital-art-related field, even part-time. But first, I have to be able to make a painting or sketch without constantly looking up basic art foundations (yes, basic and foundations).

I don't know. Maybe I'm just a bumbling moron who should spend his life in a cubicle and be barred by court order from ever touching a pen again. Time will tell.

Hello everyone, it's nice to be here.

~-~Forgive the stupidity, I'm stupid.~-~

9. The Following User Says Thank You to DementedSnake For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Um, I'm M3S1H.0, and I'm, as you've probably guessed, new here. I do have two things I have to admit though. 1) I'm quite far from everyone on here's level. 2) I used to draw only manga, non-stop. I think I broke my cycle of that, and I want to learn more styles of art because I knew manga kept me limited. I'm not very skilled, but if I examine my pictures for a while I start nit-picking everything I hate about it. Generally, I hate about 80-90% of my pictures, but that small 20-10% is something I find as "Okay-ish" art. I'm not a professional yet, given that I'm 13, but I hope to create and illustrate my own comic series one day. Until that day I'm going too study different styles of art and draw until my hand becomes numb. That's pretty much all I have to say. (Oh, and I'm not going to post any art until I firmly believe that my art is at least half as good as the art here. Might take some time, but I'll be up there someday...hopefully)

Thanks
    Hi everybody my names Shahan and im 18 and am unemployed and dont go to school(dropped out) but graduated high school.

i love the band The Mars Volta and drawing.

lot of free time these days ..im one of those asswipes who will go buy a 500dollar intuos4 tablet and still suck the big dick with it.

i found the perfect sharpener and best lighting in my room hahah but i barely draw now adays.

its the only thing ive ever had natural prowess for... yknow? not sayin im good just that its gottin me compliments in high school art classes and shit but i was never like THEE best or anything...

just wanted to say hi..

from,
    shahan(sha-hon)

EDIT: well i spoke up... no one can say i didnt...

Last edited by Shahan; August 31st, 2011 at 08:31 PM.

Thanks
    Hi, my name is Shayn Li; I'm new here too. I think I already made a few mistakes ever since I joined. First, I went to thread and tried my best to get to the heart of the topic. Second, I asked about a getting a mentor in the lounge; I found out that there is community mentoring.

I won't make higher level members angry.

It's raining in where I am at, and bad things have been happening to me. I can't even post a message without anyone trying to ruin my words. This is why I stay away from common people. Does anyone agree with me, at least 75%?

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Shayn Li For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Whats up? I'm Brandon Sandberg. I hope to become an amazing artist to push the limits of language and inspire others. I already enjoy the mood of this place, artists are always so down to earth. Hopefully I can pick a tutorial and go with it, there's so much helpful information. I'm the type that opens like 9 tabs of tutorials then cant decide which one to start on haha.

These artists inspire me the most:
    Julie Dillon
    Kagaya
    Sandara
    Noah-KH
    Qing Han
    Aditya Ikranegara
    Stephanie pui-mun Law

And just some information about the name I chose. Chrysalis is the pupal stage of butterflies. Chryso means gold. Solo because I usually like working by myself instead of relying on a team. It also sounds like Chrys-HOLOS which means Complete or whole. solos because its symmetrical. olo represents creative power in ancient cultures. And the S's represent the wave which is a universal symbol for nearly everything. Thus, Chrysolos.

Anyway, I look forward to improving, seeing everyone's work, and meeting a lot of you. Thanks for reading my post.

Last edited by Chrysolos; September 8th, 2011 at 05:57 PM.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Chrysolos For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Thanks
    so...hi CA, I'm Lunatic

I'm 16, currently a junior in highschool. I've been drawing since I could hold a crayon, which is longer than I can remember. Not very good at it, but I really want to improve and pursue a career in art, something like a graphic designer or an illustrator, maybe even go into animation!

but yea, hello!

Thanks
    good evening and God Bless from texas/usa,my name is jeremy and i do love art,i took art doing middle and high school years,i enjoy it,i do got some art work from then,i post them in other thread soon.

my hobbies: i love to collect ceiling fans(no joke)

Thanks
    Hi everyone! I thought I'd introduce myself since I've already made like 3 posts on here. I didn't know about this thread before!

I'm 17 years old and a senior in high school applying for art school. I'm pretty strong in observational drawings, but the problem is my pictures are all very dead and lifeless looking and I was hoping to get inspiration for ways to make my art more creative by coming onto CA and meeting new people.

I like to draw cartoons too, though they're kinda of half-anime, since I grew up drawing anime being the Asian girl that I am :'D Recently I'm shifting to a more cartoony style because I don't watch any anime at all. I just like the style aesthetically, but I don't think it represents me too well.

I spent the past few years being overconfident about my drawings skills because I spent all my time on deviantART (as much as I love that website, people are way too soft) and everyone in real life complimented my art too much. It wasn't until a few weeks ago when I started browsing through the portfolios of other people my age that I realized that I have a really, REALLY long way to go! So I'm hoping everyone on here can help me get better! I look forward to getting to know lots of new people.

Last edited by letsgopangolin; September 29th, 2011 at 06:16 PM. Reason: fixing typo

Thanks
    I have that new car smell.

Thanks
    Hi I'm Katie, I made account on here a while back and forgot about it so despite my account age I'm pretty new. I always been a fan of drawing and paintings especially about ideas and stories. What I really want to get into is animation and film but I still have a lot of interest in illustration. I wouldn't say I'm a pro at all right now but I hope to become to be. So I hope to learn a lot here and even meet some people

Thanks
    hello ppl! i m so confused now. i feel hungry. but cant get food because its night already and every thing is close. i also feel bit lonely in spite of having such good friends. i m siting on the chair ..surfing conceptart.org. and no ones around.

Thanks
    I've only been lurking around this forum for the last few months. But so far I have been completely overwhelmed by the amount of talent you all have here. The art you people make, and in the amount of time you do it, is really putting me in my place.

I'm a composer, trying to break into video games, television and movies. I've secretly been viewing as much art as I can from this forum to try and get ideas for songs to write (which is quite similar to how games are scored). At this point, I am trying to work on making as many types of music as I can to accompany images, for my demo reel.

I would really like to start working with people in this community, who may want some music to actually accompany their own websites and portfolios. I'll probably make a thread at some point and do this in an official capacity. But for now, I just want to declare my respect for the talent this community has.

Keep up the stellar work!

Thanks
    Ok, well as requested: I shant sully the front page with a trivial "hey guys I'm new" thread so will do it here. Looks like a really great site and I'm very excited to see what it brings!

Thank you so much

Thanks
    Hi guys! Let's draw some awesome art!

Thanks
    Hey, I've been here for a few weeks now and I'm slightly offset because I've put up a thread in the graphic design forum. 1) It doesn't get much traffic, but I know that's because the forum on a whole doesn't so it won't kill me, 2) Apparently, the moderators have their magnifying glasses on me, because I'm tried posting in that ONE thread on three separate occasions and each time I get a message saying my post will not be visible until the moderator has approved it. None of them have come through and the first one was over a month ago.

Anyway, I'm also planning on throwing some work into the sketchbooks forum (My only accessible scanner is at work, so not until Thursday can I get something up. I've picked up my pencil for the first time in a long time tonight and I don't know if to be happy or underwhelmed by the result.

Also, as general knowledge, I'm 19, just graduated (Associate's in Culinary Arts, blah) and I work as an assistant graphic designer at an internet cafe/copy centre/design centre. We're incorporated with two other companies, one doing screen printing and the other doing signs and banners, so my stuff is relevant. Apart from shirts, banners and signs, we design business cards, logos, brand packages on a whole (Though we don't necessarily offer a "package", just the items individually). One problem is though, something that I've realised and my supervisor (the lead designer) has told me: the country I live in, there's not much appreciation for art, so we're ALWAYS getting lowballed on pricing. (Like $65.00 flat to design a logo where the exchange rate to the US dollar is 2:1. Yeah) I love my job, and I'd like to expand into Concept Art, Illustration and even Interior Design and Architecture if possible. I'm sorry if it seems unrealistic, but I love designing and creating. Thanks for your time.

- Z

Thanks
    Hey, I've been here for a few weeks now and I'm slightly offset because I've put up a thread in the graphic design forum. 1) It doesn't get much traffic, but I know that's because the forum on a whole doesn't so it won't kill me, 2) Apparently, the moderators have their magnifying glasses on me, because I'm tried posting in that ONE thread on three separate occasions and each time I get a message saying my post will not be visible until the moderator has approved it. None of them have come through and the first one was over a month ago.

Anyway, I'm also planning on throwing some work into the sketchbooks forum (My only accessible scanner is at work, so not until Thursday can I get something up. I've picked up my pencil for the first time in a long time tonight and I don't know if to be happy or underwhelmed by the result.

Also, as general knowledge, I'm 19, just graduated (Associate's in Culinary Arts, blah) and I work as an assistant graphic designer at an internet cafe/copy centre/design centre. We're incorporated with two other companies, one doing screen printing and the other doing signs and banners, so my stuff is relevant. Apart from shirts, banners and signs, we design business cards, logos, brand packages on a whole (Though we don't necessarily offer a "package", just the items individually). One problem is though, something that I've realised and my supervisor (the lead designer) has told me: the country I live in, there's not much appreciation for art, so we're ALWAYS getting lowballed on pricing. (Like $65.00 flat to design a logo where the exchange rate to the US dollar is 2:1. Yeah) I love my job, and I'd like to expand into Concept Art, Illustration and even Interior Design and Architecture if possible. I'm sorry if it seems unrealistic, but I love designing and creating. Thanks for your time.

- Z

Thanks
    Hey everyone. I just want to say that I'm a little irked because I can't seem to post anything. Four posts in the last month and each one is still being "Moderated". Anyway, if I ever get the chains taken off, I'd like to say that I'm into graphic design (been at it for about four months now, very rough around the edges, but growing) and I'd like to extend into concept art and illustration. I actually started with pencil and paper, but my stuff is nothing compared to people I've seen. I'm 19, by the way and have not had a formal art education apart from secondary school and I stupidly lazed my way through it. Anyway, hoping for a clean slate and any help or advice would be appreciated. Thanks.

Thanks
    Greetings!

I've decided to stop lurking.

Thanks

Let me tip my top hat to you.

Well hello fancy artists how are you all? Anyways My name is sleepysheep. I'm not much of an artist but I do love to look at what artists can do so I figured I would sign up and take a look around. I am on Deviantart doing the same thing but I just felt that it was to anime styled for me and that I needed to expand my pallet in art in order to really appreciate art. I do like pictures of animals and of fantasy so you will probably see me lurking around them.(I'm so original aren't I?) I currently am a historian working for Fort Collins,Denver, Boulder, and Leadville. I also do tour guides on the weekend for a little extra income.(But you don't want to hear about that.) I also like to commission stuff if that is done on this site. Overall I think it will be interesting.

Thanks
    I know I've been posting here for awhile, but I was trying to find the "Introduction" section, finally found it. XD

I'm in mid-20s and from California, I also draw for fun on the side over at my DA page (mostly fanart). I really want to get into illustration/concept work for Animation one day.

I was really afraid of posting my work here because I know in my heart that there's room for improvement but I wasn't getting that much feedback over at my DA (other than the obvious one word comment).

Nice to meet everyone.

Sketchbook (Critiques Encouraged) | Tumblr Artblog | Blogspot

Thanks
    I've already made a number of posts but I guess I should make one here, too.

Sup guys, I'm kuddles. Sixteen years old, living in Maine. I like art and I like people.

So here I am! /o/

Thanks
    Hi yall!

I'm Michiel, I've actually roamed on this forum a bit longer now, but I felt like some introduction was in order.

I'm 22 years young for the moment, and I live in the Netherlands.
    I study Gamedesign and Development, but among other students I'm sometimes considered a Game Artist who infiltrates Gamedesign and Development. In truth I float between Gamedesign and Game Art. I study at the School of the Arts Utrecht. (I love it a lot so far )
    Always been quite reflective, but not when it was about aesthetics, drawings and basically all professionality. I've finally took some effort to let go of the idea I could draw well, and just start getting better the right way.
    I like the honesty on this forum, and the critique. It's been very helpful so far.

My personal domains:
    Like told before, reflectiveness, professionalism.
    Communicative and able to work with others.
    Conceptual ability.
    Experience orientated.
    Philosophy and psychology.
    Oh and before I forget: I'm also very able to teach others.

Last edited by Thundermane; January 13th, 2012 at 02:39 PM.

Thanks
    'sup everyone!

I'm Cheryl, soon-to-be 22 years old and currently pursuing a BFA in Digital Art and Animation in Digipen's Singapore campus!

I'm hoping to improve on my art here, since deviantART can only do so much. I hope to get to know you guys here, and make a good impression!

See you all around!

Page 19 of 22 FirstFirst ... 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 130