NEW HERE? SPEAK UP! - a beginner's guide - Page 18

Join 500,000+ Artists

Its' free and it takes less than 10 seconds!

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Page 18 of 22 FirstFirst ... 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 LastLast
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Oh hay, another intro thread. i already posted something in the intro subforums but I guess I'll diddle around here:

I like drawing and people who draw. I sure hit jackpot finding the CA forums. I'm not sure where this'll all take me careerwise. The only thing I know is that I want to study art seriously. My top goal right now is getting myself to get right proportions and simplifying shapes until it becomes something I have confidence in. Then I'll get to move onto all the fun stuff. I also want to get started with painting more, though the only thing I'm comfortable painting are my nails. idk why, but painting in color is intimidating to me.

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Another noobie here.

I'll admit straight up that I'm not a hardcore artist like most of you. I'm a science student and drawing is more a hobby/past-time than anything else. Even so I still wish to improve upon my style and overall work. I'm currently working on a few pieces and will probably start a little thread on my older works for some feedback before I really get stuck into my current pieces.

Drop me a line if you're curious about anything.

Cheers

And the world will begin,
    Exactly how it ends.

- Angels & Airwaves

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hello, I'm Sara and I'm new!
    Well... I've been reading the forums for years, but I just recently started posting - I just have a small sketchbook for now (but the images are way too big, I'll have to fix that when I get home from work).

I would love to get a job in concept art and/or illustration - Right now, though, I do 100% more sketching that finished pieces for my portfolio. I really need to work on my portfolio, but I'm currently practicing a lot of anatomy sketches, when I have the time, and trying to improve on my architecture and layout drawings.

I most enjoy designing female and very young characters - which is why I really need practice in men, backgrounds, and everything else. A lot of my stuff is probably a lot more cartoony than most on here, but I wouldn't mind working for flash or children's education game companies (I actually rather enjoy learning games).

I don't know, I'll try to put up some actual stuff soon, but for now I'm just a CA junkie getting her fix.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks for posting this and saving us newbs from looking like idiots with repeat threads and whatnot! There's seems to be alot of useful info for newbies on this site as a matter of fact.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Disciplette For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hi there,
    After 3 days waiting for my activation e-mail I'm finally here.

My name is Tim, almost 16 years old, and currently living in the netherlands.
    I shocked when I saw this and made a topic as well before, I'm sorry for messing up already with my first two posts.

I'm really knew at drawing and I am really busy reading as much as I can on the forum. I really found a lot information, very useful stuff.

There is one thing I can't discover:
    I was wondering, which kind of grip should I use when drawing?
    Tripod, overhand, etc.?

I'm looking forward to having a good time and learning!
    Thanks in advance,
    Tim

Last edited by tim37; August 31st, 2010 at 10:54 AM.
    Aiming for:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Here. I've known about this place for a while, but after a another member mentioned it I decided to go ahead and register. It's a pretty damn sweet site too, so I know that I won't regret putting in the time here.

Anyway, an average teenage artist from Australia wondering over in this general direction to get working on the arts. Get better, get good. I'm not happy with where I'm at, and if I can learn and have a good time, filled with lulz, in the process, then it's a giftwrapped package of goodies that I'm not about to refuse.

Hopefully won't mess up too much, probably won't care if I do, and looking forward to chipping on the lulz and artz in the near future.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    There is one thing I can't discover:
    I was wondering, which kind of grip should I use when drawing?
    Tripod, overhand, etc.?

I'm looking forward to having a good time and learning!
    Thanks in advance,
    Tim
    The grip you feel most comfortable with is usually the way to go. Depends on what media you use, the effect you're after, etc. - but most important is that it's comfortable for you.

Where you want to go in your work is also something to consider. If you're trying to loosen up your artwork, get faster thumbnails, simplify lines, etc., then I'd suggest a loose and high tripod. If you're wanting more detailed work, higher contrast, etc., then a low standard grip should suffice. If you're using an airbrush, pastels, mustard & ketchup... well, the grip will change as needed

Comfort is the key though. Hope it helps and welcome to CA!

// JB

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I'm kinda new in here.
    I'd like some critiques and tips on how to practice drawing more efficiently.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hi everyone! I'm robbit10. I joined this site because I want to learn

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I don't know if a name change constitutes re-introduction, but here it is.
    Hi again. I've been lurking around CA on and off for years. I study design and illustration at university, and sometimes that gives me little time to get involved with the art side. Other times it gets me producing randomly large amounts of work. Either way, my old account suffered for it, and I figured the best way for me to get out of a rut was re-inventing myself artistically.
    I've started a new sketchbook with only my most recent stuff, and I've decided my old nickname was too juvenile for what I want to do here. So here's hoping for a much more dedicated CA experience from my end.

Looking forward to some hardass crits! =)

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Talking Might as well post here- don't think I have?

Hi thar. I'm Jacks (hence Ajax, terrible pun I know), and I've been on and off this site since the mid-summer. Just thought I'd introduce myself properly since it.. seems I neglected to :B

I'm on a year of leave from my university studying Animation (not sure whether or not to go back, or pursue my studies on my lonesome. Less debt, that's for sure...), but I'm going to make much better use of my time than I used to. So that if I do go back to 'get that slip of paper', I'm prepared, both mentally and skill-wise...!

I'm something of a dork and a little silly, but I know what I want and I'm here to improve until I can grab it by the balls! ......loldoubleentendre

I want to learn more about the drawing techniques, movements through gesture, values, colour theory and anatomy. After that, I'll move on to more advanced perspective, storyboarding, animation principles and composition.

As for how I found this place, it was through Encyclopedia Dramatica (will not mention any names.... ). I thought that the attitude you guys have was just what I needed, so I decided to make my own sketchbook one day and 'absorb' the place in my time off. I'm also taking life drawing classes in the meantime, and hope to take a few of the classes you have going on here.

Okay that's me done lol.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    hi to everione! i'm antonio from italy.
    regards!!!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hi everyone!

I actually got here from the Encyclopedia Dramatica article; it seemed like one of the few things they don't troll. So you can thank them, I suppose.

Um... I'm 15, I'm a girl, I'm from Singapore and I like writing (drawing is more of a hobby). I used to post a few of my Photoshop drawings on my deviantART account but they were so bad I got too embarrassed to post more. So I looked around for how to improve my drawing skills and decided to start over in traditional art before going back to digital. Right now I'm practicing figure drawing and doing a still life of an egg (thought I'd start small). I'll create a sketchbook once I have more drawings.

First thing I want to know is: how do you do shading? I can't seem to make it look like a proper shadow; it just looks like part of the object is painted black.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    it's so hard for me too keep active on these forums that i've become new again.

so hi again, CA!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hi there!

I've been coming to CA on and off for the last few years and I've finally decided to join.

I'm 21, and currently taking a course completely unrelated to art.
    I'm wasn't the kid who could draw, I only started to get interested in drawing pictures myself when I was 14.

The first time I could actually remember being so interested drawings was through manga, when I got my grandmother to buy me a Sailormoon manga back when I was 7 or 8. I was just an admirer then, completely fascinated by the artwork and became more interested in manga and anime (back before it gained worldwide popularity and back then, I was called an anime freak for being interested in manga & anime. Hah.).

I only started really taking an interest in drawing when I was 14, when I saw someone's profile page on a website I frequented back then. She had her own shoujo manga style illustration of one of the characters of the site and I wanted to have something like that for myself too.

I didn't get to draw much in the last 7 years though. Long story short: Father disapproves of it, very unsupportive, told me I had no talent and can't draw. So I couldn't draw in front of him and now I have this mindset that I can't.

So...anyway!
    I do have an account on DA...however, it's not much help at all. I've decided I'd like to improve a lot more and learn more about drawing and I hope I'll be able to get much better help here
    Since what got me interested in drawing was manga, I started off drawing at 14 with that style and I still have it. I'm really bad when it comes to colours, values, anatomy and a LOT of other things, so I'd like to get back to the basics first and move up from there.

I shall open a sketchbook soon!

EDIT: MY SKETCHBOOK

Last edited by LJEn; December 29th, 2010 at 02:11 PM. Reason: Added link

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hum...so... Hi guys! hehehe
    I´m very very very newbie not only here in the forum but in the design/draw/etc world!
    I'm 18 and I started drawing just 3 ½ months. But I have great expectations for the future! I always loved to draw, but never stopped to learn. Now I'm trying a spot in college and must pass the test before the specific ability of the university, I'm going on a course to learn better techniques and improve the creations. So far I have made drawings from observation, are few, not very elaborate, but I'm trying very hard to do work one day, as good as what I see here! I hope to learn cool things here and help you need! Anyway I think this is, I'm shy hahahah...

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Greetings!

Hello,

My name is Austin but most of my friends call me either Oz or Arc. I'm new to this type of site, so far everything I've been looking at is a little overwhelming. However I'm sure I'll get the hang of it soon. The reason I decided to join ca.org was because that recently I have made the decision that I would like to pursue a career in game design. Meaning doing concept art/ 3d modeling and animation as well as other things such as story boarding and programming. Unfortunately I am pretty new to drawing the only type of art I could produce in high school that was any good was still art. I'm here to broaden my horizons and learn how to eventually produce what you all call "finished" works of art. If anyone has the time to possibly point me in where I should get started it would be greatly appreciated. If not that's fine I'm sure if I lurk enough I'll be able to find what I want. This is going to be my CAREER! I'm going to do this for the rest of my life and LOVE it!

Once again it's a pleasure to be here with you all and I look forward to sharing my art as well as seeing everyone's as well!

Your fellow artist,

-Austin

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Hey all

Hey all,
    I am new to this site and want to say hello.
    I have been messing around with PS and 3D apps for years but still consider myself a novice with these apps. I like to sketch in pencil but have never painted, Recently I decided that I would like to really concentrate on developing my basic knowledge of sketching and painting and decided to get the Painter 11 app along with my first tablet, an intuos 4 (I cant wait for it to arrive! should be hear tomorrow). I have never used painter or a tablet and am very excited about the journey ahead of me.
    I don't consider myself a good artist by any means BUT I am very very keen to learn and improve. I know it will take time and lots of practice and I am prepared to put in the long hours ahead.
    I look forward to learning and making new friends on this site

Peace, Love and Respect to you all

Crow

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Heyo,

Been lurking quite a bit but figured, it's time I chipped it and said hi. I've spent a lot of time doodling in the past and making web graphics but after a year of two of browsing around at digital paintings, I decided I'd like to get my hands dirty and start creating proper works of art.

Also seems like a good chance to finally realize some of my favorite characters on paper! Looking forward to the learning experience and having fun. Loving the energy and support around here. Keep it cool guys!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Currently Australia,but im from New Zealand
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Hi guys and gals

Sup ppl my names Nathan, friends call me nath or riki for short, ive been looking around this site for awhile now and i finally have the courage to start posting my art, hope to get alot out of this site with all your wisdom and creative criticism, thanks all.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by LJEn View Post
    I didn't get to draw much in the last 7 years though. Long story short: Father disapproves of it, very unsupportive, told me I had no talent and can't draw. So I couldn't draw in front of him and now I have this mindset that I can't.

EDIT: MY SKETCHBOOK
    Yeah, father's can be a bitch. Mine was no different... although looking back now I find that I almost agree with the old bastard (almost).
    Do you actually hate what it is you are studying now?

It isn't a bad thing to have art as more of a hobby/ secondary income (if you get good enough). That way you can can enjoy it for what it is without having to put unnecessary pressure on yourself, which can almost make it unbearable (not to mention how hard it really is. I would hate to see how many people on this board are currently without work).

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hello,
    My name is Lana and I've been lurking here for months. I was totally intimidated by the level of talent and hard work by the artists here. I still am intimidated, but I figured it was time to jump into the deep end and see if I could improve my strokes. Already I've gotten great advice and no one has eviscerated me, yet.
    Thanks!

Wales (at the moment originally from Bristol) UK
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hi my names Tom, studying Illustration in Swansea and thought i best sign up even though i have been itching to for 4 years never felt my art would go in the direction it is hope to become part of this community and hopefully get some nice art up for evryone to have a look at

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hello all, I'm Brian and I'm a sophomore in college. I like drawing comics and other cartoony things, you can see some of my stuff at my DeviantArt. I am admittedly intimidated by the high quality of work that I see on this site, but I'm hoping that I can be as good one day.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hello
    I joined up while ago, I'm more into comics, than concept art but defintelly love all stuff people post here. You guys have amazing talent. Drawing is rather my hobby, I'm not professional artist but I really want to improve.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    good post! and i am new here and enjoying myself tons so far!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hello, guys. I'm Gabe, fairy new on this forum, but I hope I can get a lot of knowledge off this site. Although I have to admit, I'm a little intimidated if not scared of the people that dwell this region of the web O_O

For storms will rage and oceans roar
    When Gabriel stands on sea and shore
    And as he blows his wondrous horn
    Old worlds die and new be born.

Please visit my Sketchbook and leave some comments.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Talking INTRO-GO!

my name is Kevin I've been lurking for sometime know and I decided to register and jump in to the sketchbook section section before coming here.I'm 17, still in highschool, and I want to get better at drawing.I wanted to become a comic book artist, but these days I don't know what I want to do.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I'm Bubonic. Despite finding this place to be kind of intimidating, I decided to join anyways. I recently withdrew from Columbus College of Art and Design because I don't feel its the best way for me to learn to be excellent at art and keep my passion for it at the same time. I'm working at being self-taught now, so I figured this site is an excellent place for constructive criticism and encouragement.

I don't have any work up yet, but I'm probably going to start a sketchbook here soon. I may not even visit the critique center for a while because I'm all nervous and shy.

Right now, my short term teaching goal is drawing people with various props. Its pretty fun and forces me to work on hands. My long term goal is figuring out digital art. I have a graphic novel I'm working on, so it would save me a lot of supplies to color it digitally.....I just need to get better >__<

So....y'know....hello and all that hullabaloo.

Page 18 of 22 FirstFirst ... 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 LastLast
  • 424,149 Artists
  • 3,599,276 Artist Posts
  • 32,941 Sketchbooks
  • 54 New Art Jobs
Art Workshop Discount Inside
Register

Developed Actively by vBSocial.com
The Art Department
SpringOfSea's Sketchbook