Sketchbook: Whitevillage wants to learn how to paint | Update: 2009/12/28 - Page 8

Join 500,000+ artists on ConceptArt.Org.

Its' free and it takes less than 10 seconds!

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Page 8 of 12 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Nice job so far with those legs. Be very careful to try to understand the movement that is involved in the bone structure. Be especially keen on the knee... that one structure is definately a very interesting form and the articulation behind it is rather fun to try to figure out, (you might find some useful information in more recent drawings involving the femur/tibula/fibula/and kneecap. although they might not look like bones there structure is the same.)

Keep on hacking away at it, the human form is one hellova beast
    -Shawn

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
  3. The Following User Says Thank You to The Crazy Dude SRD For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Crazy Dude: Thanks for your advice. Movement is really important but difficult to memorize, I'll see how far I can go. I still have a very long way to go on that hellova beast!

Rough concept pages from an earlier POW contest named 'True Love'. I could'nt finish it back then, but I have started on it now. This will be experimental as well from my side. I'm going to reference a lot though (especially on buildings and cars).

Name:  trueluv_sketch01.jpg
Views: 630
Size:  118.0 KB

Name:  trueluv_sketch02.jpg
Views: 625
Size:  124.6 KB

Name:  trueluv_sketch03.jpg
Views: 631
Size:  122.3 KB

Thanks
    Hi there, thanx for stopping by at my SB, so i´ll return the favour here.
    I think you got really great studies, it motivates me to do some more myself. I´m no expert on the field but i got the feeling your going in the right direction, especially with your hard work. What i would recommend you thou is to do more life studies, got to model classes, get out draw people in the park, at Cafes, Airport, etc etc. It´s something i should do more myself as well.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Azalin For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Nice pacing on the POW. I can't wait to see it after you start refining it. Thanks for the critique in my SB too.

Thanks
    Azalin: Thanks for returning the favour! You're absolutely right about life studies, I tried some earlier this week on my vacation, but I was more happy about my environments that I post here.

Factor Zero: You're welcome, keep on updating that sketchbook! I'll lurk to see your progress.

As I said; I have been on a vacation last week and I actually did'nt do much drawing wise. At least I could relax and free my mind when I was at the Mösel in Germany. I even did some environments in Cochem and a all-from-mind-figure-gesture-study of a some what voluptious build woman and a portrait of a daily girl which I think is cute. And surfaces studies inspired by Cceasar's mentor thread.

Name:  cochem01.jpg
Views: 684
Size:  178.7 KB Name:  cochem02.jpg
Views: 606
Size:  105.9 KB

Name:  scribbles37.jpg
Views: 596
Size:  123.2 KB

Name:  surfaces01.jpg
Views: 591
Size:  112.4 KB

Thanks
    Thanks for the good words in my SB, Whitevillage. You've got some fine studies in anatomy there and I'd also like to see you further develop that POV story. The last page is somewhat confusing as to the arrangement of panels, especially in the last third. Is the girl going to get hit by a car?

10. The Following User Says Thank You to idle. For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    idle: Thank you. About the panels arrangement, I will look in to that since it bothers me a little as well. and what happends to the girl? You'll find out when I'm finished with the comic.

Making studies more fun: take some skulls from reference, draw away and mess around with ecoline!

Attached Images Attached Images  

Thanks
    Thanked 1,254 Times in 908 Posts
    http://www.conceptart.org/forums/att...1&d=1210019057
    ^ that's got to be my fave environment you've done so far. lol whenever I try to do something like that i'd draw one side too large and throw off all the proportions. xD And there's something about blue ink that makes sketches look so cool. I should use blue pens more.

What's ecoline, by the way? Is it just another word for watercolor? :o

Thanks
    hey awesome sketchbook man !!! love ur anatomy and perspective studies ....

Thanks
    Very nice job with the skulls. The life drawings seem to be helping greatly in your sence of perspective... I'd like to see more of that from you, especially that of people. That's where all that practice comes into play!

-Shawn

Thanks
    It is scary to see how well and quickly you are improving but that is the only thing that can happen when you draw so much, draw draw draw draw draw!!!!!
    Btw your thatching is coming along really really well :-D

"We question pictures before listening to them, we question them at random. And we are astonished when the reply we had expected is not forthcoming." Paul Rouge

Thanks
    Great sketchbook! You commented on mine, and what would you suggest to do to practice getting such clean lines as you're getting. Especially on that house and the tree, that control is amazing!

Check out My Sketchbook!

Thanks
    Shit, I wrote a lot just back then and lost it because CA.org was too slow to respond.

Anyway, I'm not satisfied that I didn't post for a while. Point is that I got an artist block and still am not satisfied with my work, not even in the mood for studies. Fortunatly it's coming back slowly and I hope I can get the creative juices just flowing again and be happy with what I create which is hardly the case.

I will reply later to you guys who commented, I appreciate it!

Just my own work with the focus on the neck corset and a small coffee machine still life study. I was mostly concentrating on values this time.

Name:  scribbles38.jpg
Views: 499
Size:  72.6 KB

Name:  stilllife_coffeeauto_sketch.jpg
Views: 497
Size:  97.6 KB Name:  stilllife_coffeeauto.jpg
Views: 494
Size:  112.3 KB

Thanks
    Aifolx: Thanks, it's a matter of practice and falling and getting up to get the porportions right when drawing from life. Ecoline is a brandname for coloured ink in the Netherlands.

vibhas_virwani: Thank you!

The Crazy Dude SRD: I certainly enjoyed drawing the skulls and it was even a good excersize as well. I'm getting back to life drawing as we speak, still looking for models or a drawing class though...

Mr_White: I'm glad to hear that, I doubt my self I don't progress that much so it's good to hear if you really meant it. Hatching is a lotta fun!

Homeless Foxman: You're mostly welcome. Getting straight lines is a learning progress of taking a huge piece of paper and connecting dots while drawing as straight as possible. You should check out Yotsi's first assignment topic in the Mentor subfora.

I'm back with more life drawing.

Thanks
    YEAH LIFE DRAWING.
    Those are a lot of chairs.
    Is that someone's living room/waiting room or something? 8D

Thanks
    Groetjes!

You are definately working on some of the basics, I really like how you make studies of things like rocks and other stuff. Also the life-drawings are getting tighter, nice to see as well.

Just remember when drawing from life, set those perspective-studies to use! actually, you are still just drawing cubes, spheres and cylinders, with small alterations. Some of your objects seem a bit off.
    It's not bad that you draw manga, definately not, but if you want to escape this fan-art look you need mre fundamentals in anatomy. And I don't mean copying Bridgman (Although that might be a nice exercise), but you should really begin to _feel_ the human form, your poses are very stiff and although your proportions are generally sound, your characters are not beleivable.

Also, if you are in Manga, you might want to extensively study the different approaches going on in that field. You can look how anime was drawn in the 70s, the 80s and now, see how big the range is, the big eyes and pointy faces are really just small features that do not define anime as is. If you love this field do more research! It will ay off.

21. The Following User Says Thank You to ~Faust~ For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Aifolx: YEAH INDEED!! It's actually the livingroom yes. Well it's handy to have a lot of chairs for birthdays I guess.

Faust:
    Thanks for taking the time to C&C my sketchbook.

You're definetly right about using perspective properly, I'm too much focused on all the objects when I eyeball the environment while I could apply the in boxes and sphere. I keep the eye level horizon and VP in mind though.

I think I should hit soon when time and mood allows to get back to pose drawing then, I guess. Yeah about the manga thing, I agree and I'm glad you let me know that it ain't the same stuff. I try not to get too much influenced with it either to give it my own personal touch. Although it's difficult as I like to read manga more often then other comics.

Doing some digital painting stuff with Photoshop! WIP of a sketch and again that character (I'm inspirationless!!) Need to apply some fixes though. In B4: 'Z0MG steroids!!1'. And a Peer Project Excersize #1 study from Idiot Apathy. So much to learn from colours and their behaviours...

Thanks
    Aloha,
    was looking around in your sketchbook and one painting in particular, #217, is looking very sweet! I myself got some ecoline as well, but I never really used it so far, really very nice done, didn't knew it gave such a nice effect combined with some skulls (nice composition btw )

Keep up the good work and cya

My Sketchbook
    My Blog/gallery.
    My Tweets

Thank you for visiting.

Thanks
    Master Chill: You should give Ecoline a try. I should use it more often, same goes for other traditional mediums as well... Thanks, I defintely will.

Hogarth head and a crab study. Hopefull more of these critters and their families will follow. I never thought even the 'legs' can be different from the opposite side then the claw. I think they're fun to draw yet challenging.

Name:  hogarth01.jpg
Views: 454
Size:  44.0 KB

Name:  crab01.jpg
Views: 442
Size:  54.7 KB

Thanks
    Progress goes pretty slow but is relaxing... I'm not really happy with the look of her eyes and mouth for now.

Name:  wipwcclaire01.jpg
Views: 431
Size:  102.1 KB

Thanks
    Continueing my pod studies. I find them fascinating and fearsome. Maybe going to make some podhybrid for the SG45_United small but deadly assignment. Gotta hurry...

Thanks
    Okay... So I finally update my sketchbook. June is a pitiful and stressful month for me this year. At least I finished my internship and have free time. It's time to get back into my artistic shape, although that's easier said then done...

I'm rather busy with a project which I won't share here and it takes a lot of time and practice to make 2 portraits from a photo. At least I learn something from it. Still busy with that last CG painting, is it me or does appeal line art better then without them for me? I enclosed an example of both heads.

And random doodles and concepts for actual illustration, if I dare to finish it that is, haha.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,292 Times in 745 Posts
    Hey! You are improving!
    I like the skull watercolor very much!
    About the sketches, try to clean your lines, and to draw less lines but think more where to draw them. I hope you understand, forgive my bad english! ^^
    Keep it up!

Sketchbook :: Blog :: Gorilla Artfare :: Prints :: my Etsy
    koppa says:
    i could kick an eggs ass if i wanted to

29. The Following User Says Thank You to Clochette For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    YAY AN UPDATE~
    I like that sketch with the...broom i think. ;D
    Would look great finished.
    I think her left foot should be a little bigger than the right one, since the leg seem to bend toward the viewer.
    I hope you don't flatten under all that stress. Stay strong and keep drawing. D:

31. The Following User Says Thank You to a la bapsi For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Clochette: Good to hear! I'll try to use more thought when I'm doing ball pen doodles, so I don't use scribbly lines. Don't worry about language, I understand.

A la Babpsi: Thanks for noticing, yeah I like that thumbnail as well, especially that it ain't too much in your face style with the hand covering. I just take it easy while doing other things, don't worry soon or later I'll be sketching and drawing a lot. I just need to take it easy.

A landscape study! Finally decided to do some from reference. Photo is shot by my self, somewhere in the nature near where I life.

Name:  01_painting.jpg
Views: 378
Size:  106.0 KB Name:  01_photo.jpg
Views: 377
Size:  146.9 KB

Character doodles, just doing these inbetween whenever I feel like. Starting with Claire. She probably just wants to play rock, paper, scissor anyway...
    Name:  chardoodle01.jpg
Views: 355
Size:  57.2 KB

Last edited by Whitevillage; July 3rd, 2008 at 11:55 AM.

Thanks
    it's great that you're taking it easy. :] I should go by those words too before i burn out myself. x_x
    that's a very nice environment study. I wish i could live by something like that. i live in this urban ghetto kind of this. xD;

Thanks
    a la bapsi: Thanks, it's great having a place like that nearby. I don't mind urban environment, that would be a nice practice for maybe next time.

Another piece from a reference shot by my self. It's this time a forest path. From sketch to inking.

Thanks
    I'm not very sure If I'm going to finish this piece, I'm tired of doing it and I'm looking forward to start a new painting.

Thanks
    This is probably my last sketchbook post before I go on holiday for about three weeks. I'll leave the 12th of July probably

Name:  bammes01.jpg
Views: 354
Size:  25.1 KB
    Quick Gottfried Bammes studio of the skull simplefied into planes. I did after that hide the one copied from Bammes and redrew from imagination the skull again and there's the result.

Name:  broomsketchrough_02.jpg
Views: 338
Size:  103.1 KB
    A concept for an illustration.

Thanks
    have fun on your vacation. :]
    That hiding your book and drawing from memory thing is a great idea. :]

Page 8 of 12 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 2