Sketchbook: Whitevillage wants to learn how to paint | Update: 2009/12/28 - Page 3

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop
Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Robz: Thanks and glad you can noticing this
    dextermcspice: I'm glad to read that and I'll try to draw more from life then usual. Thank you.
    VanDog: Thank you as well, I'm an anatomy addict at the moment so I certainly will.

Hogarth head studies because I like doing them. Last 2 from up and down looking are rushed but I tried to keep them simple in the first place but I couldn't refuse to go into detail...

Life drawing of a wooden duck my dad made. I tried to get the wood texture believable, i'm not that pleased with the outcome but it was fun experimenting. I do like the shading.

Attached Images Attached Images      
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Stone life drawing studies. The big one was tough, smaller one was more fun to do.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Arm studies. Got to know how arms look and work to draw them awesome.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    A hat from life. I wish at this moment that I don't draw so much crap (except for this hat to me). I don't draw one day and it's difficult to draw again. Weird.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Human into perspective study from Loomis. I knew about the box trick but I never could pull it off the way I wanted, I still can't but that's something I have to bite trough and understand better.

Muscle studies from a image from Wikipedia and from http://www.reybustos.com/ Simple head stuff from Loomis.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Can't go wrong with those Hogarth studies.... keep them up...

good job on the life drawings as well... cant wait to see more environments

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks for the reply Looped Warrior. I like your mechanical studies, good luck with the figure drawing.

As for environments, I guess it was a little coincidence since I did a quick environment concept with my markers before you posted. Later I scanned it and coloured the marker parts. Also used some textures to experiment with.

Perspective study and muscle stuff again from Rey. And a very quick Hogarth head.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Awesome Studies!!
    I'm a fan of yours.....and the amount of work you are producing is midblowing...
    And its also inspiring for me....I'll also try and do much more sketching from now....

Looking forward to seeing more of ur work....

Tke Cre
    Ratul

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thank you rdsarna, I'm glad I motivate you to do more studies.

Some landscape and backyard speed drawing studies I did yesterday on a bike trip and the backyard was from today.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Excelent studies here man... I see you have Gordon's 'How to draw the human figure.' The form looks great on these, I would like to suggest that you be careful of your line weight. Be aware of the light and dark sides of the form and make the lines corespond. A lighter line in the light and darker in the dark. If you have the same strenght line all around the object, it flattens the form.

Keep on going man, I see a great amount of potential from you!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks for the critique. I'll be more careful when adding strokes and keep in mind where the ligt comes from. I'm at the moment reading from Gordon's book, it's sometimes a tough read but when you know some of the bones and muscles, it's okay to understand and helps me bearing in mind how things actually work etc.

Okay, some studies I did in the morning:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    what a great improvement from even the beginning of the thread. Doing studies is the best way to learn - may I suggest holding your reference closer to your study? Your heads in particular are extremely skewed. Try turning the whole image upside down or backwards and just copy what you see -- try to forget it's a 'head' or a 'skull' and just pay attention to line, angle and shadow.

You're far far more stronger with environments and perspective, they look fantastic! What you need to start focusing on is light and shadow - and perspective in coloring. In your Roman Villa image for instance, after you colored it, it became quite flat - because you didn't use any atmospheric perspective in your coloring. Warm colors are forward and cool colors recede - also the further something is away from us the less saturated it is.

Here is a great CA thread with the basics http://www.conceptart.org/forums/showthread.php?t=76955

Last edited by Nerahla; July 10th, 2007 at 07:45 PM.
    “It is enough that we set out to mold the motley stuff of life into some form of our own choosing; when we do, the performance is itself the wage.”
    -Learned Hand

"The most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the source of all true art and science. He to whom the emotion is a stranger, who can no longer pause and stand wrapped in awe, is as good as dead; his eyes are closed." ~Albert Einstein

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Runecaster, thanks a lot for your indepth critique!!

I agree that the heads are not my strongest part and that I keep in mind that they're heads when study drawing them. I will try out your method and post the result here, be it good or bad soon.

It's cool you're so fund of my enviro's, I always believed it was not my strongest point with the figure part. I'm cool with the colour critique, ain't also my strongest part for now. So i 'll read that topic and experiment later with colours when I'm tired of anatomy and enviroment studies, which is for now my number one priority (not to say I don't want to learn color! ).

Quick chest muscle study when I was slightly ticked off yesterday. I should'nt draw seriously studies when i'm ticked off, seeing the result...

A fantasy landscape that just popped out of my mind after a boring rainy day. The mood tries to suggest after a rainy day.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Plant leafs and a cucumber from life and a upside down head experiment from Hogarth.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Man, your environments are amazing! I need some tips on building up sets hehe.
    Anyway, great work all so clean and beautiful. God, I feel outmatched in this SSG lol...
    Must think of it as a way to improve through peer critiques lol.
    Anyway, keep up the good work!

My Bloggins

Mat Kaminski's Sketchbook

Sketchbooks love Critiques, give a crit, get a crit! (tm)

|| SSG -- Riley Stark | Ian Barker | Damien Levs | triggerpigking ||

The CRIMSON DAGGERS

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Wow! I love your anatomy studies and environments! you've got loads of good work here, can't wait to see more! how much do you draw a day?

(Thanks for the reply in my sketchbook, I think I will get some French curves )

ShootTheWorks
    lens flare renaissance

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Good anatomy stuff. I started to learn anatomy myself a while ago and I always discover new things. Your studies look ver promising and I think you'll realy improve if you continnue with them!
    Just keep it up

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Malakai SinClair: Thank you, if you feel outmatched, work even harder. Good luck and hopefully my crit I gave you was helpful.
    Koto Stomp: Glad you dig my learning stuff, though I have to motivate myself everyday to do them to become better. As for what I draw per day... Depends how much free time I have and I always draw something each day that I don't post here.
    GunTrouver: Thanks. Same goes to me, reading about it how things work are also certainly helpful in the progress of study drawing them. I'll try my best to continue, although it's tempting sometimes.

Just a quick fineliner character design and some Bridgman shaped figures for getting a loose feeling.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Bustos full (except for the feet and hands) anatomy check and a Hogarth hand. I will certainly draw more hands from now on, after I made this one (proportions damn it!!).

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Just being busy on other art related stuff, I forgot to do some studies. Not much, but I will try from now on to update daily till 27 July, I will be on a vacation trip for 3 weeks then.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Great work---I can see a lot of improvement since the first post. I especially like the way the anatomy drawings have progressed. One thing I've learned about the human body is it's nothing but a mass of curves interrupted by a few lines. When I really started to see that the body can twist and pose in (to my once thinking) "unnatural" curves and angles, I ended up with a better grasp on posing figures. Heh, not that I'm an expert or anything, but there's my .02 for what it's worth.

In all you're doing great, keep up with the good stuff ----I also liked the quck sketch of the warrior woman with the shield towards the end of your posts. It was just a sketch but it had a nice volume feel to it. Nice!

Cheers,
    VR

LIVE FREE. DRAW HARD.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Excellent studies of the hands; the only thing that I found hard about Hogarth was that in his books he never really got into the structure of the body, i.e. the bones and muscular connections; the foundation of the forms, why they are the way they are...

Keep it up and when you're on vacation, be sure to keep your sketchbook nearby!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Viking Raider: Thanks, since I'm studying anatomy, I noticed something similiar as well. You will notice things while drawing from mind that you could'nt draw and see before thanks to my studies and it motivates me to do more (as long I get the change).

Crazy Dude: Thank you. That's also why I never use only one anatomy book, I do like how Hogarth is exegerating his anatomy so I can recognise parts better. I use other books for aplying different methods on learning. And I certainly will bring my sketchbook with me, I'm aiming to do mostly life drawing.

I started to draw with the perspective method that vehicle artists mostly use and some legs + muscles.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I really like the drawings you did of the muscle groups of the shoulder on June 15th. They are really informative. Did you reference those out of a book? If so it looks like you are learning from some good material.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thank you ForSience, I think you mean July 15th? The arms are referenced from a Japanese site I found trough posemaniacs: http://www.geocities.jp/kita_site3/ The anatomy stuff (animations included!!) can be found here

I think this will be my latest art post before I'm going on holiday. The reason is that I'm pretty busy with packing in the luggage and other things I have to do. I'll be updating again from what I drew during my trip in three weeks. See you then!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    hey there, im new to the sketch group

I've only had time to review the last page of your work but i can deifnately see that your putting your efforts into the right stuff, Bridgeman is good. Maybe look at another author (maybe loomis, stan lee) aswell to get a second perspective though, or you run the risk of looking derivative. Pose maniacs rules, http://characterdesigns.com/ is also awesome.

cya around, ill try and update mine asp

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    smartkyle: Thanks for replying. I will look in to the poses from characterdesigns.com soon.

I'm back from vacation and I drew quite a lot that I never did that much yet on holiday. (because most of the time it's hot or there are lots of other cool stuff to do.). Here is a selection of scribbles and a handfull of life drawings:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hope the vacation went well,

Awesome, the drawings of the plants look the strongest, but just drawing the people in their (non)daily routine is probably the quickest way to learn how to draw the figure... It might not get you acknowledged with every muscle or how it works, it helps in learning the gesture of the figure. I need to do more of these...

I also like the dynamic waves in the landscape that you have.

Later,
    Shawn

Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.