Scarcity of concept artist jobs?
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thread: Scarcity of concept artist jobs?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Scarcity of concept artist jobs?

Hi everyone,

I've been thinking about a career as a concept artist in the games and movie industries for a while. Doing research on art schools, however, I often see people recommending that students learn 3D modeling in addition to 2D skills. They say that this will make you marketable to companies.

I have no doubt that's true, but I don't particularly want to do 3D modeling. I don't want to work on games just in any way I can -- I want to do digital painting!

Are there just that few pure "concept art" jobs out there -- do most people also work in 3D? Or will there still be opportunities for me if I'm a painter?

Thanks for any advice. I know one has to be good to succeed either way, but I'm looking at art schools and people's comments about 3D have made me nervous!

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Well, besides concept art, there's cover art for books, comics and websites. Although they seem equally rare, looking out for these jobs as well will help with your career possibilites.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    There is also the fact that for some companies, concept art is not an entry level job, so you have to level up somewhere else.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,436 Times in 259 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Concept art is a subset of illustration. Learn illustration well, and you'll have a host of possible jobs available to you.

I think you are awesome, and I wish you the best in your endeavors, but I am tired of repeating myself, I am very busy with my new baby, and I am no longer a regular participant here, so please do not contact me to ask for advice on your career or education. All of the advice that I have to offer can already be found in the following links. Thank you.

Perspective 101, Concept Art 101, Games Industry info,Oil Paint info, Acrylic Paint info, my sketchbook.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Seedling
    Concept art is a subset of illustration. Learn illustration well, and you'll have a host of possible jobs available to you.
    Yes, I think this is what I will do. I don't really want to do the other types of illustration jobs, but if that will help me "level up" while looking for concept art work, I suppose it will be worth it.

Thanks for the replies!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    If all possible the best way to build towards a career as a Concept Artist is to have a Mentor. Start writing letters to some professional concept artist and see if any of them would take you on. Most have web sites to begin your research. You have nothing to lose but everything to gain by doing this.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    First of all, I'm not trying to shatter your dreams or make you feel bad but you will need to be a very good artist in order to become a concept artist or at least a decent paid one. That means years and years of training in human anatomy, perspective, light and color, etc.

Many great current concept artists that you regularly see here probably had some kind of entry level art job before they went into concept art full time with maybe Marko as an exception. Lol.

So like you posted, it doesn't hurt to learn another skill on the side such as 3D modeling, texture artist, graphic interface design. I think Daryl Mandryk (my idol :o) who is the concept artist for Propaganda games does some texture work when they no longer need any more concepts and move into the production stage. Don't quote me on that though.

Lastly, many concept art jobs are contract based only. Meaning, they'll only hire you to do the concepts and let you go when you're finished or they no longer need you. Not a stable job as some might say.

Anyways, good luck with your endeavors!

Visit my website!

Devin Art

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    ...Or will there still be opportunities for me if I'm a painter?
    Your kidding right? Concept art is just a subset of illustration. Illustration is just a subset of Fine Art.

...Now Fine Art! If you can make yourself a name in that,...well the potential money you can make is boundless.

If you want some motivation...look up Michael Goddard. If this guy can averages 1-2 MILLION $ in sales a year. We ALL have potential!

"If one advances confidently in the direction of
    his dreams, and endeavors to live the life he
    has imagined, he will meet with a success
    unexpected in common hours."
    - H.D. Thoreau

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    The olive guy? Man, his shit cracks me up. Definately proves that you make more money through nick-nack art than traditional gallery work.

For the actual topic: Concept art jobs are scarce because the market is full of artists. You have to work your ass off to get in. Having 3D skills makes you have another marketable skill.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    concept art jobs arent scarce. there are lots videogame companies, hundreds of them. they all need some kind of concept artist. the companies that need the most concept guys are prolly mmo devs, since there is so much content. there are tons of mmos being made by small and large companies.

with that said, if you have 3d skills, its easier to market yourself as a concept artist, since you know the limitations of 3d, and can tailor your concepts to things that are actually buildable. ie. polycount, texture space, etc.

but if you dont want to learn 3d, dont, spend that time making a kickass folio. youll get noticed eventually. go to cons where devs go and shop your folio around. you WILL be hired eventually. you just cant ever quit trying, and practicing. i have no 3d skills, but still got hired as a concept artist.

mike

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by otis
    If you want some motivation...look up Michael Goddard. If this guy can averages 1-2 MILLION $ in sales a year. We ALL have potential!
    I totally agree. Or check up on Picasso or Rembrandt to mention others, their work is INVALUABLE (literally) that means even if you charge every penny in the world for it, it would still only be the tip of the ice berg! I mean what the heck these guys didnt live as millionaries but after they've passed on their work is golden nuggets for the art society!

- Sorry Otis, I think you have a semi valid point. But comparing rather inexperienced artisists with Michael Goddard is abit too much day dreaming for me.

But to stick with real facts, yes there are few pure illustration/concept art jobs out there, but you should also keep in mind that there's (sadly enough) merely a fraction of these jobs that are posted on conceptart.org

Exposure and skill is the way to the job you seek.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I know this is off topic.....

Definately proves that you make more money through nick-nack art than traditional gallery work.
    Huh? All his "nick-nack art" already sell in galleries.
    So wouldn't that make his art "traditional gallery work?"

I think using the word "traditional" in the same sentence with "art" is an oxymoron. I mean what is "traditional gallery art"?

My point with Goddard is that some would call his work great, while others wouldn't, or "nick-nacky". Either way, Art is subjective and relative. You don't have to draw like Michael Angelo in order to be a very successfull artist! Your work just has to be fresh, and people have to
    "get it".

Back to topic: There are plenty of concept jobs. Only the artists who can't find work feel like there aren't any.

"If one advances confidently in the direction of
    his dreams, and endeavors to live the life he
    has imagined, he will meet with a success
    unexpected in common hours."
    - H.D. Thoreau

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    In my opinion While Rembrandt is invaluable, all the art that came after impresionism is not really so(though it is very very valuable), the coming of modern art was a must and a need, but at the same time it was the end of art, as traditionally has always been. Nowadays the world cant see the difference between art, craft, comercial illustration....we are living in a world of little pieces of a whole. But I think the stream is coming back to normality step by step. Its a pity that CONEPT ART cant be considered FINE ART....If I am not mistaken, old masters were working on COMMISSIONS, not mainly in "wathever-they-felt-like-doing-even-if-it-was- shit-to-show-the-world-they-were-artists"

ops...i am sorry, i just wanted to make a comment not too much off-topic and i ended getting into trouble with a too complicated topic...
    sorry again.

"when the way is hard
    the hard ones stay on the way"

MY BLOG

MY SKETCHBOOK THREAD

MY SELFPORTRAITS GALLERY

Members who have read this thread: 3