Art: Valkyrie Imperiled - second in series (@ end of page)

View testimonialsView Artwork
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Valkyrie Imperiled - second in series (@ end of page)

Valkyrie Imperiled - second in series (@ end of page)

Valkyrie Ascending

She found him on the field of battle, in the thin fog and damp grey stillness of
    the morning, still clinging weakly to life amid the mire and blood and remains
    of his foes. She gathered him into her arms, held him as she often did beside
    their hearth.

He had been a good husband, a good father, but a magnificent warrior. Five
    enemies dead at his hand; Father Wotan must surely reward such valor!
    Surely he would send a Valkyrie for this man she loved, that he may live on
    in glorious Valhalla!

She felt his last breath, passing over and through her like the clean, clear
    breezes of the fjords, but, strangely, with a tang of regret, that pulled at her
    heart like nothing ever had, and might never again.

__________________________________________________ _

the third concept that sloshed outta my mind for the Gods at War Thunderdome, now prepping for a battle royal in the Arena.

hope you enjoy!

Last edited by masque; March 31st, 2007 at 09:38 AM.
    Continuity Break -- my sketchbook

Shameless plugs!
    Kata femme -- a 3D model WIP, now updated!
    The Giordano Gambit -- Barsoomian Zingball at its best!
    Valkyrie Ascending -- now updated with the second in a series!
    ArmaRagnaGeddonRock-yer-Yuga! -- celeztial shitz 'n' gigglez
    I . Miss . America -- "colored [eyes] may hypnotize..."

"In the end, Razputin, aren't we all just dogs playing poker?"
    -- Edgar Teglee
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    i really like the painting, the valkirie is darn sexy..

if i may suggest , you could improve it by making the valkirie and soul slightly transparent, and also blur the image un the clouds.. blend it abit more with them.

cheers.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Maybe you don't need to make the whole valkirie transparent, only the feets just to show that she's not walking on the composition, the other poeple in the ground in the lower part are a little to stiking out. Maybe you only need dead corpses to let the Valkirie be the focus of the image, nice work.
    Rizo

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I'm loving the historical look of the piece, masque. Biblical even!
    It is a beautiful piece and I have no complain other than
    the background face, and the main figures, and the two sitted figures on the foreground all being mildly too centered.

The sexiness of her rare bottom will haunt my dream forever ahhh

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    benkashmir - thanks! sexy was definitely a goal but not blatantly so. glad it works that way. re: transparency and souls -- see below. and i wanted the Odin-figure to stay strong, he's a very testosteronish kind of god, very much the archetypal patriarch. appreciate the comment, though.

Rizo -- thank you, too! see tranparency info below. and i had a specific story to tell here that demanded the woman and her man in "pieta" pose. it made the composition trickier, but that's the challenge, eh? you oughtta see what i didn't do.

davekang -- your comment is the kind of remark another artist strives for! may your dreams all be pleasant! and yes, the composition strains some rules, but there's a subtle flow there that i didn't feel i could accomplish with someting less symmetrical. very pleased you like it!

some more eye candy -- these details are at the file working size:

Name:  VAdetails.jpg
Views: 71480
Size:  475.7 KB

re: transparency and such: Valkyrie are not spirits, ghosts or incorproreal beings, though they are supernatural. they are in fact bichen femme fighters, as well as gatherers of valorous warriors. she needed to be eminently solid. and the warrior's soul is not collected -- he's awarded an actual place in the ranks of fighters for Odin in Valhalla, where battles are fought continuously and wounds repaired overnight for more fun & games the next day. the ultimate in immersive gaming, you might say .

so the task was show this AND the warrior's earthly body all in one pic. i opted for a very subtle approach, just a slight feathering of her visible foot, and a scumbly connection between the man and his new unearthly form. that, plus the unique perspective the Valkyrie and warrior have compared to the earthly scene -- very intentional, that.

Shameless plugs!

-- Edgar Teglee

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Another amazing piece by masque!!!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Valkyrie ass-ending...

Sorry. Couldn't help myself. Not a comment about the piece, which is lovely and heartbreaking. Just infantile wordplay.

Nathan's Journal

http://sabrepunk.com/

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    LOL! wish i'd'a thunk of it, Nathan

and thanks!

Shameless plugs!

-- Edgar Teglee

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    man, this is really good. It just really evokes this feeling of sadness like hes being taken off to heaven or something. It makes you want to care for the people. I think you've managed to put more feeling into this than most big movies.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I think it looks great and I love this lovely, slightly rough textures of strokes. Looks more like a colored drawing and I personally like this style very much.
    Everything is beautiful, colors, faces, figures, mud, everything.
    Crits. Valkyrie's behind is domineering way too much, IMO, the lightest value, round forms and all that. That puts me into a playful mood. and it seems not only me. Are you OK with this outcome?
    Another thing. I wish you added some canvas and landscape accordingly to the image from my left, this will put two main characters right into center of picture and after that we all will live in a peeeeerfect haaaarmonyiii.
    If the picture is too symmetrical and balanced for you after this manipulation add some asymmetrical details to one side. This is just a suggestion. Right now my eyes go behind those two to horizon, not at them, because center of the action displaced from a center of the page.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    "Valkyrie shot the food!"

Nice piece. My only crit is that the guy in the clouds (Thor?) doesn't look like he's wearing a helmet. It looks like one of those explorer hats. Other than that I like it a lot.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Justin O -- thank you sir! i kind of amazed myself a bit with this one as well, really a level up for me. hope to be able to stay with it, too.

NathanLong -- just what this forum needs, another wiseacre (really, we do ). thanks for the compliment, it's good to know a little emo isn't taboo.

ElvisMcVegas -- glad you were moved by the story. you might be interested to know that one of the sparks for it was the Karl Urban scene after the battle of Pellinor Fields, when Eomer finds the fallen Eowyn (Return of the King). the second-best acting in the whole trilogy, imo -- first was Elijah Woods' parting glance and nod as he left for the Grey Havens.

Sve -- you know you own a part of this work, don't you, dear? can't say enough about how much i value all your insights. and yes, i knew her derriere was a focal point, and to a large degree that is very intentional. it's a bit of both a nod to and a reaction to the large amount of femme flesh that gets portrayed on this site. a nod in that its another piece of feminine eye candy, but a reaction also in that it draws the viewer into the pic and then, then, they find the real story, the story that isn't about big butts, or even Valkyrie. like a carny barker, i used what is a bit of a CA cliche to hook their eyes, and maybe, just maybe, engage their hearts.

hokey? a little, maybe, but i think the other qualities of the pic save it from that. a wee bit manipulative? you betcha! but not with ill intent; rather, to make the point that there are prices to be paid for glory, that can be seen once you look past the obvious.

compositionally, i will say i tried a number of other arrangements and major and subtle shifts, and this seemed to work best for the elements i'm using. not a defense, just to let you know i did explore a bit.

thank you again for all the help your eyes and mind have given. i treasure it.

jfwalls -- glad you enjoy it, thanks for lookin' in. the god figure is Father Wotan, aka Odin, head mucky-muck in Valhalla, and one of his attributes is that he often walks the world in a wide-brimmed hat as a sort of disguise. a bit esoteric, maybe, but i wanted him to seem more compassionate than warlike in this context, hence the choice.

Shameless plugs!

-- Edgar Teglee

Thanks
    Thanked 1,441 Times in 259 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    You have made the hair stand up on the back of my neck. This is powerful stuff. Thank you.

I think you are awesome, and I wish you the best in your endeavors, but I am tired of repeating myself, I am very busy with my new baby, and I am no longer a regular participant here, so please do not contact me to ask for advice on your career or education. All of the advice that I have to offer can already be found in the following links. Thank you.

Perspective 101, Concept Art 101, Games Industry info,Oil Paint info, Acrylic Paint info, my sketchbook.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    awww, Seedling, i love it when you talk emo

seriously though, you've paid me a high compliment with that reaction, and it is appreciated. i frequently write such stories for pics i've done for the weekly activities, it's often a requirement for those, and this one serves also as the explanatory text for my Gods at War TD entry (one-on-one w/Ilaekae). more interesting i think than "Odin's in the sky and there's a Valkyrie and she's takin' this guy, he's a dead warrior, see, up to Valhalla..." etc. well, more melodramatic, for sure.

Shameless plugs!

-- Edgar Teglee

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I'd really like it if you kinda dropped the naked-fantasy-chick approach and drew the valkyrie as a female viking warrior ascending to collect the souls of the fallen to valhalla...
    Try be giving her a bit more historically correct outfit minus the naked ass part

My work as a tattooer www.gallontattoos.wordpress.com

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by gallon
    I'd really like it if you kinda dropped the naked-fantasy-chick approach and drew the valkyrie as a female viking warrior ascending to collect the souls of the fallen to valhalla...
    Try be giving her a bit more historically correct outfit minus the naked ass part
    Odin: Hey, girls, we got another collection! Who's on front?
    Val: That's me, Boss! But i just gotta outta the bath. Do I have to dress for this one?
    Odin: Naw. Fightin's over. Just pick up the winner and have him in the barracks before taps.
    Val: Right, Boss, will do. (Sotto voce, relieved) God I hate wearin' that armor if there's no scrappin' to be done. Chafes somethin' awful!

If the Valkyrie was going off to slice on some frost-giants, armor would be de reigeur. but she's fetching a fallen hero, after the battle. the Norse were lusty folk from all accounts, i imagine pressin' the flesh with a mythological Nordic paragon would be seen as a fair perq after getting gutted for his god.

and "historically accurate" armor for a mythological being? seems a bit mundane. plus the history of portrayal of the Norse legends is strongly influenced by popular styles of art in the time the images are made -- some very classical Roman/Greek-looking, some very soft and ultra-femme (see Rackham's & Penrose's illos of Freyja, often considered one of the Valkyries, for example). lots of room for contemporary interpretation, imo.

i did try to use what refs on Viking clothing and armor i could find to clothe the earthly folk, without laboring the point. same for her sword and girdle. the helmet is actually a sop to popluar misconception -- winged and horned helms would be terribly impractical in real armor -- easy to have grabbed and get tossed. part of the dress uniform, maybe, or, in this case, the undress uniform .

btw, here's another naked Valkyrie. guess we're both just historically challenged
    http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...rieOnHorse.jpg

Shameless plugs!

-- Edgar Teglee

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Valkyrie Imperiled

Name:  ValkyrieImperiled_Web.jpg
Views: 34012
Size:  394.7 KB

"Wotan must be mad to send a mortal spy into Niflheim! Even as reknowned a warrior as Ámundr cannot stand alone against the frost giants, and now he calls for aid. It is not his time to join the einherjar; I must defend him!"

An episode in the continuing conflict between the gods of Asgard and one type of the many giants that inhabit other worlds of Norse mythology (Niflheim is the "ice world"). The mythologist Bullfinch writes that the valkyrie's armor was said to glow with an unearthly light that gave rise to the aurorae borealis. While not supported by the actual myths, this seemed an interesting way to light this scene, with a little extra emphasis on her sword. the giant's "fur" is based on certain forms of rime frost.

Shameless plugs!

-- Edgar Teglee

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I love that giants face d00d!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    This mortal guy Amundr needs a slightly more vikingish look, I think. Perhaps give him a viking sword with a big pommel and a short grip, a shield, a cool-looking vendel helmet. He`s been sent by Odin himself, right? You may think, I am one of these "historical correctness - guys", actually I think, real viking armor looked much more impressive, dark and ancient then all this european medieval fantasy stuff, and combined with the mythologial aspect it would bring alot of variety into the fantasy genre.
    Really like the design of the Frost Giant, big and scary.
    Would like to see more pictures from these series
    Greetings, Troll

Edit: Love valkyrie`s blonde pigtails in the first picture.... yummie

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hello, Chip... I like the colored version although I imagined it would have a different look in the end. Recently I'm starting to have a very uncertain, mixed feeling when I look at people's art, I never have a definite answer if I like it extremely or don't like it, it's a strange combination of both. Sometimes I do have a clear understanding of my emotion, but in most cases I'm as confused as I can be... it is not indifference though.
    What do you think it is? maybe I'm getting smarter hehe you need to answer, 'Oh no, Sve, that's not the case ... hehe, very much might be true .

Looking at the picture I'm trying to pin point my sensation. I feel so much beauty in this piece, the fist and the most in the manner, in those gentle scratchy brush strokes... Each of them has a human breath and because of that it creates a warm and rich feeling, of importance, meaningful context of everything in this picture... As I wrote to you already I value this manner much more than the story and characters and scene... The beauty of those handmade textures prevails over everything for me and I personally want everything else to be submissive to it and to serve to emphasize the softness and roughness of the image. As I said those textures talk on their own and because they make me feel so good I don't want anything to distract me from this pleasant feeling...

And very many things do distract me from it... First of all, like in the piece with your historical character you are killing presence of air, atmosphere with making outlines of every and each object sharp. In this image it is super sharp...
    Even if this bright light from the sword is that strong... still the rays will be diffused in air, IMO, and you will have some sort of bright source of almost white light which steals, dissolves the outlines of objects up close to it.

Where is a cast shadow behind the cape of the Goddess? where is a sharp receding values behind her and around the radius of the circle of the light? I think the values can't be that even on the snow, they will be different, spotty with a certain gradient of darkness farther from the source of light.

Another thing, I have a problem to believe that this kind of brown on the corset of the Valkyrie will exist on the same time in the same place with other colors... They are in different temperature range, IMO. Those browns should be colder or the monsters fur should be warmer...
    I wish you introduce some warmer colors in the corner of the monster's eyes, when the shape of his head turns, near his teeth. he is a bit too monotone now, you can manipulate our attention with those sudden addition of complimentary colors.
    I love pose Valkyrie now, it is very believable, I love all wonderful textures, I like rain behind the monster's back... I wish air was present in your image, I wish you made me feel cold and wind and moisture and heat from the glowing sword. I wish colors were more blended with each other. I wish you gave more love to the teeth of the creature... I wish some red and orange and yellow were on the whites of the monster's eyes.
    That's all. I think you should post black and white version too, it was no less beautiful image with a different mood., calmer, but very expressive through textures. Nothing distracted from textures there.
    Thanks for defending me in TD and the best luck to you in it and in general.. With love and respect always
    Sveta

Last edited by sve; March 27th, 2007 at 08:22 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    thanks, Jake!

yep, Troll Skelking i do need to expand my knowledge of armor & stuff. most of what i found on the web was either rather cheesy-looking re-enactment stuff, hard to know if it's accurate, or archaeological bits & pieces like the Sutton Hoo finds, or other artist's impressions, accuracy unknown. plus i figured if this guy's a spy he might not want to go clanking/thunking around in a lot of heavy armor, 'specially in snow. speed and stealth = spy. i left his cloak out of the image because it would cover too much of his figure, and i didn't want to clutter the pic with stuff on the ground, could be distracting. maybe not the best approach for him, though. i definitely have at least one more "valkyrie" idea to work up, and i'll take your suggestion about the costuming to heart. do you know any good links that might be helpful for "authentic" Viking armor? i may not copy it to a 'T' but i always like to have accurate refs to start from if possible.

re: pigtails/braids on Ascending -- i thought that might be a nice touch, prevents "helmet hair" and lends a bit of a girlish quality, maybe. though few have noticed the braids for some reason...

Sve, i love your words. can't say if you're getting smarter, but i do know that the more one learns, the more questions arise. no one should ever stop learning.

you hit all my weak spots in regards this pic the sharpness was partly refining the technique of using lots of strokes in greyscale and then coloring the image, a step away from the softness of the first Valkyrie, maybe too far. but it also reflects my memories of absolutely stunningly clear winter nights in Anchorage, Alaska, up on top of the local ski hill, seeing the Northern Lights (aurorae borealis) strung out over the Chugach Range all the way to the horizon, and feeling like you can reach out and snatch them from the sky. yep, it's that clear, like there is no air. not something many have experienced, perhaps, but not unnatural, either.

the scene's lighting went so many ways! the Valkyrie, all of her, is essentially the light source, with her sword being a tad brighter and more obvious so i could include some modeling and shadowing on her. but i didn't want her to look all glowy and uber-supernatural, either, since she's facing a very immediate and down-to-earth threat. so i tried to incorporate some faint shadow around her, filled with her light on the snow, with the snow reflecting a great deal more light into the other, deeper shadows. i left the snow fairly visible into the distance because 1) that's the way it is; even by starlight you can see quite a distance at night, and with bright aurorae its even more so, plus her radiance as well, and 2) it helps establish the picture space more definitely; earlier versions were darker and felt much less like an open space.

the color contrasts were intentional, she being warm and the giant very cool (he is a Frost Giant, after all, and his "fur" is intended to resemble rime frost). in the full-size working file, i did use subtle complimentaries in the shadows, but much of it probably got mooshed out of visiblity by size reduction and JPEGging. but the blacks are much richer for it, it's just not terribly obvious. there's a lot of yellow in the lit part of the giant's face as well, but it tends to get swamped by his icy blueness. i'll post a full-size in my SB so you can see what i mean, along with the B&W precursor.

and sorry i didn't prevail in the TD maybe Valkyrie Ascending was too far from the brief, maybe there were other reasons, who knows, but Glen had a strong piece and it came out on top, good for him

thanks all again for your comments!

Shameless plugs!

-- Edgar Teglee

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Don't apologize, my dear. You made me feel special when you offered to replace me in this contest with Glen... I took it seriously as you know I tend to do.. I'm grateful and I will not forget this kindness. Thanks. that's a gesture, but it is gorgeous gesture.

I don't know about the best piece. You both are very strong players. I know one thing, all judging in art is subjective... I liked your piece more, those textures... beautiful... It is only yours probably, a bit hard technique, not for fast and short deadlines. but beautiful nevertheless.
    I read with a pleasure your words about Alaska and clear nights when you can see far away around yourself.. Did you see sky when it's very, very black, like black ink, and it is all around you, like you standing all alone on the whole world? Devouring black sky. Greedy. Energetic, domineering, but soft and velvety in the same time.
    I wish I saw this Alaska sky... you made me feel robbed .

Thanks again. I will remember about Alaska too.
    It reminds me (since you are a movie enthusiast like me)... did you see this movie with Queen Latifah named "Last Holiday"? I saw it when I flied to Russia in airplane... It is a very wise movie despite simple lyrical story.
    I wish you saw it. This movie has many happy moments in it for viewer and it has the same taste as your words about Alaska and sky in it. Please consider to take this movies when you want something good for your soul, some sweetness... it will make you feel good.
    We are being afraid of many things most of our life... but we can be happy instead.

Last edited by sve; March 27th, 2007 at 07:44 PM.

Members who have read this thread: 1