In need of a lil guidance...

Join 500,000+ Artists

Its' free and it takes less than 10 seconds!

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

very new to the forum.....hoping this thread gets more responses than my last one did....

So here's the thing...I graduated High School about 2 years ago...took a year off and now Im just working at a dead end job....the Question always comes up..."Why didnt you go to school?".....and the simple truth is I have no idea what I want to do....no Idea of what I wanna study....I always loved drawings but Ive always felt that I was missing the basics.....I remember being in art class senior year and hearing from the better artists in the class, how most of them had been drawing for years and how they'd taken anatomy classes when they were about 12...their words not mine....I always thought of myself as a middle of the pack type....not great...but better than avg... I love drawing urban enviroments and my history as a graffiti artist made me think about architecture....but many ppl in the field made me feel that the 7 years it takes to get the degree wasnt worth it.....

I dont wanna be one of those ppl that ends up hating their jobs.....job fufillment has always been a priority to me....I was thinking about that Max school in Toronto.....but Im not sure If im talented enough to even consider going to school for art...though thats probably b/c touring RISD can be very humbling.....

these are some samples of my art...

Im just lost in terms of whether I should pursue art as a career....

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    You've already got some skills, and you'll only get better with practice. I wouldn't worry too much about how good other people are. I mean, be inspired by those people, but don't let the fact that they are better than you discourage you from becoming an artist. No matter how good you get, there will always be somebody better. Just focus on what you want out of your life, and if you feel art is what will make you happy, then go for it.

Last edited by CruShTinbOX; February 15th, 2007 at 02:14 AM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Checking out RISD should be humbling. Any place that you're interested in should knock your socks off- it gives you something to strive for. If you go to a place and you know you can do that sort of work or even overtake them soon obviously isn't going to be a challenge to you, so it's perfectly fine to be overwhelmed and humbled initially.

As far as your age and taking the time to really find your passion, that 's more than okay. There are more people in your age category than you realize in colleges right now (the average age where I teach is 23). People have all sorts of reasons as to why they didn't immediately jump into college right out of high school- whether it's maturity, finances, or other obligations. Your rationale is more than valid and you really don't need to explain it to anyone. What really matters is where you go forward.

You've got some of the basic skill necessary based upon a few of the sketches you've shown here. You might want to add a few more drawn from observation drawings but beyond that, I think you could hold your own as long as you continue to work hard. Apply all over and choose whatever school you think will suit you and where you think you'll be challenged and grow the most. It's YOUR education so take charge of it and move forward in life. Having passion is just the driving force to succeed.

Good luck.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I'm the Director of Max the Mutt Animation School in Toronto. The work our students show when they are applying for our programs is not what they are able to do at the end of year one. The rate of growth always amazes me. Some of the people who start with less formal training , end up doing the best work. I firmly believe that God is generous with talent. However, it takes passion, an ability to deal with frustration, and lots of hard work to develop that talent. It also takes curiousity, humility ,and the ability to accept direction when it comes from sources you trust. It helps to be in a school that has small classes, quality instruction, and a real interest in you as a person and as an artist,

We look for students who want a serious, focused environment, have the passion , potential and professional attitude that will help them to succeed. Don't let the fact that there are basic things you need to learn keep you from applying! IF YOU ALREADY HAD THE SKILL BASE YOU WOULD BE APPLYING FOR ADVANCED STANDING INTO YEAR TWO!

One of the things I find most exciting about Max the Mutt is watching students in year one as the pieces of the puzzle come together and their work begins to take off. The second year is another growth year, but the real payoff is year three. It amazes me that individuals can learn so much in such a short time.

Good teaching liberates your talent. Bad teaching teaches you formulas: you are shown ways to get an end result without insight into why each process works, how to use it, expand upon it, and eventually manipulate it to your own expressive ends.

You will never know what you are capable of until you take the first step. The work you show here is certainly at a level that will give you a good chance at a seat for year one. You need 10 to 20 drawings including a drawing of your own hand (from life) and a still life drawing of 2 objects related to a surface.You need an essay about yourself your goals and ambitions and why you want to attend Max the Mutt. You need two written character references.

If you have any questions, contact us. If you aren't in North America where you can phone us toll free (1-877-486-MUTT), email us at admissions @maxthemutt.com. If you're more comfortable dealing with me, just send me an email or leave me a message.

Don't let fear keep you from trying for the career you want. Many of us have dealt with fear all of our lives. You simply have to acknowledge that you feel it, and proceed!

Good luck to you whatever you end up doing!

Last edited by Maxine Schacker; February 15th, 2007 at 10:14 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Others are so good

Stand on the shoulders of giants, not at their feet

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.