Art Schools In or Around the Philadelphia Area

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Talking Art Schools In or Around the Philadelphia Area

Hi all, I've been lurking around these forums for quite some time now and now I finally have an issue I would like your help with...

I've have been in college for almost two years now, I'm getting my Associate of Applied Arts degree in Advertising Art at the Pennsylvania College of Technology in a few months. I would like to continue with my Graphic Design education at a different school closer to my home.

I have applied to the Art Institue of Philadelphia and have gotten accepted but I have decided not to attend because, after looking at their senior projects from last year...let's just say that I'd rather not pay so much money and come out with no education.

Now, I'm stuck. I want to go to a school in or around the Philadelphia area but I just don't know what schools to pick. Right now, I'm thinking of applying to the Tyler School of Art (Temple) and Kuztown University. But again...there are issues...

Tyler - I have pretty low SAT scores and I heard from a friend that Tyler looks for high SAT scores just like Temple. I talked to one of my teachers and they suggested I apply anyway, that maybe my portfolio and experiance in college will make up for the low scores.

Kuztown - After looking at the curriculum, I found that their 4 year program is the same as my two year education...

So, I guess I'm asking you two questions....maybe three...I dunno, but I would like if you could give me any suggestions.

- Any suggestions of schools in or around the Philly area?
    - Is Tyler and Kutztown worth it?
    - Can I make it with low SATs, two years of credits under my belt, and a good portfolio?
    - Am I better off sticking it out here (Penn Tech) for another two years?

Thanks in advance guys...and sorry for the long post...

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Look into the University of the Arts. It's located in downtown Philadelphia and its an actual art school unlike Tyler and Kutztown.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Why are you limiting yourself to staying close to home? If you can get the education you want and need, fine. If you can't you may need to cast a wider net.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    sweetoblivion-thanks for the suggestion! i had forgotten that uarts was in that area.

Maxine-I understand what your saying, but the reason that i stay close to home is because it's easy for me to get around philly, trains and buses. I have yet to get my license, you see (I hope to soon). Also, I think that it would be good for me to be situated in the place that i hope to work in after i get out of college.

As much as I would like it if I could go out of state, I just can't afford it. My parents are divorced, I live with my dad and two brothers, one of which is also in college and it is hard for me to get loans. I'm hoping that I can recieve a few scholarships the next couple of years...

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    How much does uarts cost? Does it offer what you need? Be an intelligent consumer and make sure you know what you're getting into. Visit the school, look at the work of current students and this year's graduating class. Ask about class size. Check out the faculty. Ask how many of last years graduates are working in the industry they trained for.

As far as getting a job in your area is concerned, they'll care about you, your skills and your professionalism. I've never heard of a company that wouldn't hire you because you didn't go to school in the city they are located in.

Good luck!

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.