Sketchbook: Trying to create new worlds - Help & Crits needed. - Page 2
Join Free Art WorkShopJoin Premium Art Workshop

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread: Trying to create new worlds - Help & Crits needed.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    kawakaze, I was using for most of the sketches 8B lead, I switched to 3B because I felt they were too dirty, and you are right but I never noticed, some of the sketches here were done with 2H and I really liked all the detail I could have with it (I stopped because it took me a long time drawing), now you open my eyes, I should combine them, maybe start the overall with quick wide strokes(2B) and then detail it with HB & 2H. Thanks for your kind words about my compositions, I will try to add more detail, although I have been trying to learn how to draw faster, but now I am comfortable with trying to add more detail, and definetily I am going to start playing with tones, I think I am going to practice with some figure drawing from Loomis, everybody seems to agree that the best way to learn to draw and to understand tones, volumes & lighting is by drawing the figure, I am going to give it a try.

Thanks alot for stopping by and your advice.

Attached Images Attached Images  
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    -Third sketch was the first one with some changes and it was my first attempt to use my Wacom tablet, and, yes, I am not proud of the Ford Explorer parked on the sketch, I shall fix it when I can draw better with the Wacom.

Last edited by robmorfin; April 5th, 2007 at 02:40 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

4. The Following User Says Thank You to mentler For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    mentler, thanks alot for the 5 bones, I'm honored, specially after seen the great work most people awarded with 5 bones from you, I don't think I deserve them yet, but I will deserve them for sure in the future. Thanks again.

Here are some sketches I did yesterday, trying to understand values from the human figure (loomis & other books), and another environment sketch just for fun, will work on it alot more.

Thanks for watching.

Last edited by robmorfin; February 26th, 2007 at 02:55 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Another concept, I finished it with prismacolr & markers, the perspective of the building is off in relation with the perspective of the site, I will try to fix it in the future.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Same concept finished with the wacom in Peinter using the burn tool, reducing the burning intensity so it would paint and not burn, I didn't know how to use Photoshop back then (less then now), neither painter, that's why I did it with this ackward painting method, but now that I think about it it doesn't look bad, maybe I'll try mixing that method later on, also, the shadow on the right side of the van is wrong, that's a side that should be illuminated.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Updated sketch for EOW#47 "Rapunzel Tower", I updated it and adapted it more to the original story from the Brother's Grimm, one tower, woods, no doors, only one window, the princess hair, the prince and also i painted it, I'm starting to really enjoy using the Wacom.

Blade-14 is offline Psycho Metallic Cataclysmist Level 4 Gladiator: Meridiani
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    You're really belting out those perspective drawing liketheres no 2mrrw!, and improving massively to boot, keep going and you'll strike prime oil skill wise!

Why do u stick your nose in other families business'. Come on dude don't u have any HOBBIES?

My sketchbook beckons, ave a look see?
    http://www.conceptart.org/forums/sho...09#post1212209

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Blade-14 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Blade-14,

Thanks alot for your comments, I will keep practicing and learning as much as possible and hopefully soon I can strike prime oil skill.

Here is another small sketch, the perspective is a little bit off, I'll fix it later.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I just found out there is going to be a new Gnomon Workshop Live!, I already bought my ticket, it's going to be fun.

Here is another old sketch.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    This sketches are for the EOW #48 "The library of the lost sea scrolls", still working on it.

-Original sketch
    -Cave Sketch
    -Architecture
    -Architecture inside the cave

I don't like the pencil sketch, I will finish it, draw it with pen, use markers for values, scan it and then render it.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    This sketches are for the EOW #48 "The library of the lost sea scrolls", finished.

Sketch with pen, and quick render with wacom, main source of light is by an opening on top of cave, the lights next to the scrolls are really dimmed.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Wow, you're good at this. 5 golden manbabies from me as well.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Longxiang For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks a lot Longxiang, I am trying hard, so I can put together a good portfolio sometime soon, I just need time, I still need a lot of practice and pencil miles, I will keep posting and trying to improve.

Just to avoid confusion with the golden manbaby definition (at first I found only weird definitions over the internet), http://www.urbandictionary.com/defin...golden+manbaby.

So, thanks again, I'm honored.

Last edited by robmorfin; March 12th, 2007 at 10:23 AM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Final... wish me luck.

By the way, last saturday I went to watch the movie "300" from Frank's Miller Illustration, the movie is a masterpiece, at all times you are looking at a great illustration, the right words for it as you are watching it are holy f...!, it's really awesome, can'twait to buy it on DVD, I really recommend it.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Work In Progress for the EOW#49 "Waterfall City", will post as it progresses.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    hi there
    hehe- this one is really sick
    http://www.conceptart.org/forums/att...1&d=1171585536

your isometrics are really nice and you got some interesting ideas!
    i would recommend to spend some time on studying light and colors (it helped me quite a lot)

hope to see some further sketches soon!

22. The Following User Says Thank You to RaphaelLuebke For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    xbert, Thanks for yur comments and for stopping by, right now I'm mostly working on EOW competitions, but I really enjoyed creating Isometrics, hopefully soon I can work designing worlds for games so I can create more of those.

That sick sketch I made it a while ago, it took me a lot of time, but I loved working on it, it is too graphic design like, but looks cool at the end, glad you like it.

I am aware my light and colors are not good at all yet, I just remembered on the Loomis "Creative Illustration" book I didn't print the "Colors" section because I didn't want to spend my printer's ink, that book has been the best guide I've ever used, so right now I'm printing that section and hopefully I can understand colors better, in regards to lighting, I haven't found a good book about it, can anybody recommend me one?

Thanks alot Xbert!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Update for EOW #49, added color to it, will refine it later & definitely work on the waterfalls.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    EOW #49 update, didn't like the look of the previous one, so I'm doing to get rid of the original crappy sketch & try to render it much nicer, also, going to add alot of detail & foam to the waterfalls, lines for the window patterns, etc., I still have today to finish & I'm sure it can look much better, still WIP.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Final sketch, wish me luck, votation starts tomorrow (I think), I'm happy with it, it can be better but for my rendering skills this is the best I've ever rendered, will try to make it better for next sketch.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey man, great stuff in here. Looks like you are working hard on your skills, I need to do more studies like these.

You mentioned in EOW-49 that you are trying to get better at painting:- your lineart is pretty strong, and this (for me anyway) is the construction/foundation for your painting. Put your lineart on multiply layer, and keep it there, painting on a layer underneath until the painting almost works (values & colours). Then flatten it down and start painting over a bit.

This is obvoiulsy not an easy thing to explain in a few lines of text - if you would like any help just PM me, I hope you see this as positive and not patronising.

I never thanked your for the way you described my EOW these words you used , I had to google them you know them, but wow man thanks. This type of encouragement makes me want to try harder.

Adam

28. The Following User Says Thank You to ATAnderson For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks for stopping by ATAnderson, and thanks for your nice words,

I will definitly try this method you described.

I'm planning on taking some digital or traditional painting classes as well as life drawing (per Barionteri's recommendation), maybe at the Ron Lemens studio, I saw him at the past Gnomon Workshop and I really liked how much he knows about Figure Drawing, Painting, Lighting & Colors, hopefully I can join his classes soon, he would be looking at this sketchbook in these days.

I feel right now that I am kind of coloring, not really painting, I am understanding that it's a process of several passes of rendering, and I am getting better at not trying to finish one corner as soon as I start it (which doesn't look nice at the end), so I'm been more patient.

I don't have any art school learning background for drawing or painting, I did take some Bronze Sculpture classes, and I liked them very much, I'm an Architect and I am really enjoying doing concept art, there are no limits designwise (except time), and that really fullfills me as an Architect.

Should I try the Peer Project V2 form CA?

ATAnderson, of course I see you offering your help as super positive and not patronising at all, it is very much appreciated, thanks a lot.

That piece of art you created in EOW#49 deserved not a smaller word and I'm glad they encourage you, it is wonderful.

I stopped by your sketchbook, man, it's really awesome, great concepts, great painting, great color schemes, a lot of detail & I can't believe how fast you can create them, please keep posting there, it's amazing what you can do.

Last edited by robmorfin; April 5th, 2007 at 02:45 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hi there,

I saw your last couple of posts in the eow and thought I would drop by. I see what ATAnderson is saying. To better illustrate that maybe check this tutorial. Make sure you click the fullview button to see it- http://www.deviantart.com/deviation/...e+-in%3Ascraps

Honestly the key to getting better is lots of practice. I think maybe you should try painting maybe more simple objects like cubes and circles first before taking on these complicated ones. Start simple and build your way up. The peer project is pretty good and also check out the Photoshop thread- http://conceptart.org/forums/showthread.php?t=47859

You have a clear understanding of perspective........something that I need to practice on. Awesome linework and pencils drawings.

Keep up the work!

Last edited by Trashy; March 24th, 2007 at 06:19 PM.

31. The Following User Says Thank You to Trashy For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Trashy, thanks for dropping by, I agree, practice makes the master, I will practice as much as possible and yes, you are right, I should try simple & basic stuff at first, I love the environments but it really disapoints not been able to paint them better, I will still keep trying though, I followed your advice on the Photoshop tread, thanks a lot, I learned so much in the last hour with the first exercise (the apple), and I am very happy with my final painting of it, also it made me realize thet I have to use reference, I am also going to start with the Peer Project tutorials ASAP, I'm sure it'll help me a lot.

In regards to perspective, the best book I've ever read and practice from is the "Rapid Viz" book, even though I already knew all kinds of methods, it thaught me to make it in a not so technical way, to create grids faster & without trying to be super precise, to not use a ruler, how to measure, etc., I really recommend you practicing from (in) that workbook; another advice I can give you on perspective, don't just try simple perspectives, you'll get bored & think about it as another thing you have to do, practice pushing them to the limit (not on your nice pieces), just do it for the heck of it, the main point is to have fun with it and the more you push it, the more you learn, if you make them simple, at some point you'll get stuck with a hard situation or you will have to change your viewpoint because you can't deal with the perspective deformation, also play with the cameras on the 3Dmodels, even create some views of the simple geometry, create a view, print it and use it as a base for your perspective, that will help you later on to not be afraid of any perspective angle or view.

Well Trashy, thanks a lot for your nice words & advice.

Last edited by robmorfin; April 5th, 2007 at 02:46 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    OOps, I forgot to post my apple from the photoshop tread!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    By the way Trashy, that lighting tutorial link that you posted (post #61) is amazing, that guy describes it step by step better than anyone, thanks again.

Last edited by robmorfin; April 5th, 2007 at 02:47 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    1st napkin sketch for EOW #50 The Architect's House, added some values in photoshop, still need a lot of work to do, hopefully I can have it before april 5th, will keep posting.

Here are the requirements:

The outside of the home is a two story shack sitting atop a huge curled up tree root, lopsided and shanty like, peiced together with scraps and such, but The inside of the small rundown shack is actually a huge 15 story mansion full of strange MC Esher like rooms that act as labyrinths. It is a nigthmare of a house. The Architect was once a kind, humble man, who would put on magic shows for the children of the city, and play games with them in the labyrinths of his home, but now the children are starting to disappear and the people of the city suspect The Architect as the culprit. The Architect is currently in a deep sleep like coma induced by an exiled shade known as Xaodinat. He has been kidnapping children.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I'm going to the gnomon Workshop this weekend and I'm putting together a portfolio to get more advice, so if you think there is something specific I should show please let me know.

Here is an old sketch, even though I used a pencil 8B only, I really liked it at the end.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 1