Sketchbook: Bill's Sketchbook

View testimonialsView Artwork
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Bill's Sketchbook

Hey everyone, this is my first post here and I just wanted to say that this is a great site. Second off this is my first sketchbook, about a year ago I decided I would try to get ready for college by drawing to a point where I thought I was at least somewhat good since I'm going for computer art(digital art). Most of that year I focused a lot on just contour drawings since I wasn't really sure what I was doing. Only in the past few months have I been pushed in the right direction from art teachers along with looking at this website. So I would appreciate the usual criticizm and pointers on what I should improve on. That's about it, I'll be updating hopefully every day or two days since the computer lab is usually filled with a class. (Not sure if the attachements are working, if they're not I'll try to fix it as soon as I can)

Name:  1.jpg
Views: 218
Size:  149.8 KB

Name:  2.jpg
Views: 207
Size:  173.2 KB

Name:  3.jpg
Views: 211
Size:  242.7 KB

Name:  4.jpg
Views: 211
Size:  243.0 KB

Name:  5.jpg
Views: 197
Size:  208.2 KB

Name:  6.jpg
Views: 196
Size:  236.4 KB

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Nice to see you trying lots of different things out in your book If I were you I'd focus a bit more on your line, leave tone for a bit, try just using pen (stops you shading!) and try and draw environment aswell - by which I mean, draw people in environments, people in rooms, in the street, including everything that surrounds them
    Keep practicing!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks Phil I took your advice and drew a few pen scenes. I also know it's been about three months since I've posted anything, long story that's not really needed to be told. Anyhow I've kept up drawing so I'll just post stuff from the various months.

Attached Images Attached Images                        

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Ah pen, such a great tool. As for comments or crits, love the jet fighter. The last picture has some perspective conflicts that you could probably solve with laying down a few lines as guides.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey,

Thought I would drop a line since you were so kind to write in my sb.

Lots of stuff here, I really like your vehicles. Especially the tank and the jet was cool even though some parts looked a bit wrong (but I'm no expert on that )

The drawings of people and hands etc. all look a tad distorted, but keep practicing, it's not easy.

When you're rendering, try to lay down the lines along the shape of the object you are working with. You don't have to but that's just the way I've learned.

Keep it up!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks for the comments guys

Earendil-Yeah I think I rushed through it half way through it to get to the shading, plus I see what you mean now that I look at it.

Izu-Yeah I used to do a good amount of vehicles when I started out, but yeah some parts are a bit wishy washy here and there. As for my people and hands, yeah I do have a bit of trouble with them. I have been trying to do better with hands but I sometimes make a finger or two way too skinny. I don't often lay down the shape of the object, usually more often just a skeleton but I'm always willing to trying different techniques.

Also here are a few older face and figure studies from like a month or two ago. The last page is what I did today, tried to go back to some hand/still life stuff.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey, thanks for the compliment!
    I think you should work on varying your line weight (thick to thin kind of stuff) and practice faces by carefully measuring out the proportions and placements of the features.
    Keep working!

You offer to wash my feet as I offer to disobey You.

MAGMA'S Sketchbook

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Here are a few more things from the past few days. I tried using Loomis again since I tried to use his technique awhile ago, but I still can't get a feel for it I feel like I can do better off by simply drawing my own way. So should I stick with loomis or just measure out stuff like I'm kind of doing now?

Also I was wondering if I should by any books to help me out with drawing. I have "Drawing on the right side of the brain" by Betty Edwards but I've never finished it, got around chapter eight when I put it down. Just wondering what I should do, go back to that, just draw in my sketchbook, or look at other books? I heard Niccolades "The Natural Way To Draw" was good but requires a lot of time and energy. Thanks guys.

Members who have read this thread: 1