Sketchbook: My Book of Life... or sketchbook.

Join 500,000+ Artists

Its' free and it takes less than 10 seconds!

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following

My Book of Life... or sketchbook.

Quick Profile:
    Name? Andrew
    Age? 21
    Location? Southern California
    School? Mt Sac transfering to Cal state fullerton and hopefully attending atelier after that.
    Goals? Improve, make mistakes, learn from mistakes, improve.

Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by xxEnder; November 5th, 2008 at 10:22 PM.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Sketch/WIP: Just a random girl i made up because i felt like drawing a cute girl, still a wip, i have trouble drawing legs and foreshortening the hand.

Sketch/WIP: Logan is basically a mix of me and my best friends in terms of appearance, and he represents some of what we went through towards the end of high school and how we changed as we entered college, hes looking a little bit too much like samurai champloo, hm, ill fix it up later:

Last edited by xxEnder; February 13th, 2007 at 07:28 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    thanks for the input. Ill update some more stuff, get some older stuff up too and hopefully ill get some progress on the sketches above, and hopefully more people will come in and share their advice/critique. if i dont get much ill just throw them in critique center and try to keep adding old/new stuff in here.

Grim Reaper is offline I stared into the void last night,best dream I ever had
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hi and welcome to ca sketchbooks!
    Those two pics arer very nice-quick and clean sketches.
    I like the girl and also I share the same dream as you- to become a game artist so good luck on your way!

bakatron is offline toronto blue jays fan... i'm serious.... stop laughing at me okay??
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    these are not bad at all. i quite like them.

the thing is to improve my doing looads of life art drawing.i mean always keep a sketchbook handy. draw everything in sight.

one of the things that i used to use a lot in my earlier days was to do breakdowns before rendering the figure. in fact i still use breakdowns because they layout my figure and i never screw up on my proportions either.

i would love to see more from you

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    @grim: thanks for the encouragement, i hope you become a tight game artist too!

@bakatron: i need to do more life drawing, i do most stuff from my head like the two sketches above, i just draw them because i feel like it or because im directed to as concepts, but if i had reference or a stronger understanding from life studies i know itll only help. by breakdowns do you mean like roughly sketching out the proportions? because if so thats usually what i kind of do, especially for poses that are a bit dynamicish.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    For now don't render too much from your head. Everything we draw should give some sort of information or some sort of effect, shading on characters should add to the action and dimensionality. The ideal being every mark having a purpose. This wrinkle on the front of this guy's shirt doesn't really tell me anything http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v1...oyballdone.jpg. When starting out I think it's best just to use flat tones and flat colors, just to brake up the shapes, to get them to stand out individually.
    Slowly weed out ambiguities with the way you represent forms. On here http://i174.photobucket.com/albums/w...lsketch002.jpg her head's good, it's like an egg, her boobs are good, they're like sphere's, find other analagous forms for other body parts. The legs aren't too good, form's vague, get more dimensionality by using perspective, and thinking of them as sort of cylindrical.

Sketchbook

"Beliefs are rules for action"
    "Knowledge is proven in action."
    "It's use is it's meaning."

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by armando
    For now don't render too much from your head. Everything we draw should give some sort of information or some sort of effect, shading on characters should add to the action and dimensionality. The ideal being every mark having a purpose. This wrinkle on the front of this guy's shirt doesn't really tell me anything http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v1...oyballdone.jpg. When starting out I think it's best just to use flat tones and flat colors, just to brake up the shapes, to get them to stand out individually.
    Slowly weed out ambiguities with the way you represent forms. On here http://i174.photobucket.com/albums/w...lsketch002.jpg her head's good, it's like an egg, her boobs are good, they're like sphere's, find other analagous forms for other body parts. The legs aren't too good, form's vague, get more dimensionality by using perspective, and thinking of them as sort of cylindrical.
    yeah, i mentioned im not too good at legs because i dont have as much of an understanding as id like too, so ill be sure to work on it, and anatomy in general. also, Im very intimidated by changing the dynamics of perspective, i know i have to get over it, but at the time i was afraid to try it out (hence why the out-stretched arm isnt complete and the legs are incomplete/weaksauce.

i think if i had shown the background for what was going on the wrinkles would make a little more sense, but i was instructed to just pump out characters, and thinking back, i redrew that pic with a sweatshirt and less obscure wrinlkes, but im not sure what happened to it since the character was dumped. Thanks for the input and ill keep trying harder.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Sketch/wip: finding new goals... like complete my damn work! haha.

Some general life updates, im probably getting promoted with a decent payraise at work, Im basically enrolled at the art institute - inland empire (newish campus). My friend goes there, it seems pretty nice, but his warning was his and my work are pretty much what students look up to, theres not much peer challenge, so ill probably rely on this forum a lot to challenge myself and it sounds like theres some pretty tight teachers there.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    my friend katrina who is pretty much beautiful

just a random update, im finally starting art school on july 9th. ill be going to the art institute inland empire. i know theres more prestigeous schools out there and art center would be awesome but I feel this is whats right for me, after so much debate research etc etc, i feel this is my calling and the path i need to take.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    havent updated in awhile. I have new personal art too but i dont feel like posting it, haha, so heres some studies, my first steps into studying human anatomy:

theres more but these are ones I had to compile for a midterm. Just a little update too, I'm leaving the art institute after only 2 quarters because I now realize there just isnt enough traditional foundation (its over by 5th quarter, only one painting class and its only an elective because some students feel its too hard... yeah, lame, thats another reason im leaving, i cant believe i hear students complain about drawing when theyre an art student, not to mention going into crazy debt) I'll be going back to community college to finish a handful of classes/postpone loan payment and transfer into csu fullerton asap.

Last edited by xxEnder; November 8th, 2007 at 02:53 AM.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,019 Times in 370 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    On the faces in a profile view you seem to draw the eye way too far back in the head giving some of your portraits, like the one of katrina,a very strange look. Just keep going with this stuff and more studies. Also look at facial structure and anatomy.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by spazazo View Post
    On the faces in a profile view you seem to draw the eye way too far back in the head giving some of your portraits, like the one of katrina,a very strange look. Just keep going with this stuff and more studies. Also look at facial structure and anatomy.
    yeah, that was drawn before i started studying facial construction/planes but youre right none the less. Its actually not exactly a profile (close enough obviously,) so if i showed you the reference (photo) its not as close to the nose as it would be straight out profile view, but still a bit too far back.

Im actually having some trouble with face/head constructions, gonna check out some vilppu dvd's on it, thanks for the input.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey I really like your human studies a lot. Hope to see more work

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey! Sorry to hear about your dislike of the AI but at least you made the decision to leave a place you weren't happy with. Good job. As for your stuff, as some other people have mentioned you need to work on your facial structure and make sure you get everything blocked in before you start details so you don't end up with a face that looks so akward.

My favorite stuff is your adventures into human proportions and anatomy. Its interesting stuff and the more focused you are the faster the knowledge comes then the skills. So keep cranking those out even while you are away from a specific art driven cirriculum.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Aveh View Post
    Hey! Sorry to hear about your dislike of the AI but at least you made the decision to leave a place you weren't happy with. Good job. As for your stuff, as some other people have mentioned you need to work on your facial structure and make sure you get everything blocked in before you start details so you don't end up with a face that looks so akward.

My favorite stuff is your adventures into human proportions and anatomy. Its interesting stuff and the more focused you are the faster the knowledge comes then the skills. So keep cranking those out even while you are away from a specific art driven cirriculum.
    My understanding of underlying facial construction/surface planes is weaksauce, I watched a lecture from robert hale but there's something more fundamental that I'm overlooking. Anyone have advice on this? (aside from practice ;p)

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Did this for my grandma's christmas present. feel free to crit, i'm sure there's a feast for you who are good at critique, haha. I had a hard time with multiple factors but as you can see cast shadows are WEAK, so if you have any advice or want to do a quick paintover please feel free. Also please read the post above this and let me know if you have any input.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    i figured i'd do a quick head study at least since that's an area I'm lacking on (one of the many areas, :-S)

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    a piece of my final from anatomy class, everyone loves anatomy... got an A in the class, i have such a long way to go though, -_-, always improving though, just need to speed it up

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Some nice anatomy studies in here, definitely keep up with those, and you'll see a definite improvement. You've already seen my thread, and likely the work I posted from my early years... I never went to art school, I've studies stuff like anatomy off my own back and it's really,really paid off, so don't feel just cause you have to give up the art school that you have to give up the studies too! I've never done life drawing to date, either, so you're one up on me there!

The length of the woman's torso in that last pic seems to be a tad stretched on the right, but the left one is nice, aside from perhaps the neck being a tad off centre, especially if you finish off where her shoulder will be. You might find it helpful to do some skull studies when it comes to faces, it's amazing how much knowing where the bones protrude will make your faces more realistic.

The windmill sketch looks pretty good, though I'd have been tempted to lessen the contrast just a little on the sky, and go for a smaller area of light bloom, and maybe put in some hedges or fences to help push the background back some more, and give the piece depth. Don't forget about the reflections of the windmills in the water too... that helps anchor them into the picture even more. The blade of the wind mill that's closest to the light source looks a tad on the long side too, taking perspective into account.

Hope that's of some help, you're definitely on the right lines, and those early character pieces show some nice personality and expression, which is half the battle with people, and the landscape is a great foundation if you wanted to work on those skills too. Keep up the good work!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Has some major issues so I might revise later:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Those figure studies are really going to do you good! Don't stop doing those and you will improve very fast~

Your last piece seems like a big jump with the rendering and coloring so far, it's looking pretty good along with the stylization~

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    nice work=)

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    thanks I get discouraged sometimes but when I look at the progress I have made and continue to make I feel better and try to push myself harder.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    same here. i also come here to look at other peoples works to get motivated. i try to stay inspired and confident as much as i can

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I really enjoy the painting the the lady in yellow. All of your edges feel to uniformly sharp though. Soften up some of the edges in shadow, and the tip of the hair as well.

Your anatomy studies are coming along nicely - the ones in pink in your most recent post are really well done.

Keep posting

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Yeah, the talent on this site is intimidating but I have to just do my best and make sure im learning/practicing.

Thanks, im back in life drawing so im getting warmed up again. My teacher is joe weatherly, he has a really good animal drawing book, its been pretty cool learning from him.

kinda my first commission from a high school friend, hope she likes it, her internet has been down so shell have a nice surprise when shes back online

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.