digital painting help (major update)
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thread: digital painting help (major update)

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

digital painting help (major update)

MAJOR UPDATE- Ok, i have been working on this whenever i had free time the past several weeks. i basically re-painted the entire illustration. its the same concept, just completely re-done. before i send this to my professor i would like some crits to see if anything needs to be fixed/touched up.

i finnished this piece for my illustration class and i am not very happy with it. i feel it needs to be pushed farther but i am not exactly sure where. i think the plane looks like a crappy plastic toy and the clouds look fake though i am not sure how to fix it. any comments or crits would be greatly appreciated.

Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by themissinglink; March 10th, 2007 at 11:49 PM.
    Blog: My Blog
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Heya. the whole way this painting is going is very confusing/chaotic.
    i did a paintover (sorry) to easily point out a few things.

1st, whats with the horizon line?!?! it kinda dissapears...

2nd, the bullets/plane and the main characters eyes are being drawn towards the explosion. what exactly is he looking at? is he was looking at the plane in the middle or the big red one it would make more sense..

and 3rd, his arm proportions are messed up. mabye if his right hand was curves around the hip instead of resting open on the buttock then it would look more beleiveable. Try to put yourself in the same position as him. i did it myself and it feels very uncomfortable.

This does look like it needs to be worked alot more however this is only my opinion and please dont take me %100 seriously. im not perfect myself and need to ask for help aswell. Keep up the good work!

p.s. sorry for defacing your artwork

Attached Images Attached Images  
    help save the world from artistic poverty. 1 crit a day is all that is needed to prevent these poor people from artistic starvation! make a diference today and drop into the critique forums

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    i'm no expert but here are a few issues i have.

I think you should do something else with the embossed type at the top. It doesn't look good.
    The bullets need to look more blurred, and maybe the plane as well.
    He's writing on the wall without even looking at what he's writing. That doesn't seem right, plus the nib needs to be more closer to the fingers.
    Why have you put those random swiggles over the picture?
    Is the plane picture supposed to be a painting on a wall? Because it doesn't seem that way.
    The man's face seems really yellow to me.

My personal site - AspireCreate.com
    Twitter
    Intuos 4 L

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    At the moment my eyes being drawn all over the place as there isn't a point of focus, or much of sense of movement. The colours come of as a little muddy and as the action is side on, there isn't a great feeling of depth.

I like the idea behind it, but i'd use references for the planes and the man.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    thank you all for the comments, i agree everything is a little confusing and unfinished. the assignment was illustrate a world record. i chose to do mine on the red baron of WWI a german fighter pilot who had 80 kills and was called the ace of aces. the idea was to have a mural of him shooting down another plane while he stands in front and marks off his number of kills. so he is looking at the plane on the lower right exploding (i know that doesnt look like an exploding plane) and making it off on the wall as a kill. i agree with all of your coments and i think i am going to re-paint the whole mural scene. I think i made a big mistake in painting each aspect of the painting individually instead of building everything up at once. also, my obvious lack of reference shows.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    ive seen your sb and am really impressed with the level of work your produce. Even the original sketch came across as good. Once the dimentions are placed down and a few nice references are found then the work will be alot quicker with a better result. good luck!

help save the world from artistic poverty. 1 crit a day is all that is needed to prevent these poor people from artistic starvation! make a diference today and drop into the critique forums

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    See top of page for update

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.