Sketchbook: My Sketch Book, mostly all sorts of things - Page 2
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: My Sketch Book, mostly all sorts of things

Blade-14 is offline Psycho Metallic Cataclysmist Level 4 Gladiator: Meridiani
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thought i'd loosen up by doing a few other studies and some magazine sketches i happened to buy ARENA recently and they've got some really cool poses and subject in there so i thought i do a few avril lavigne sketches.

I happen to think shes quite attractive now, had a blast doin em, anyways, hope u enjoy

Attached Images Attached Images          
    Why do u stick your nose in other families business'. Come on dude don't u have any HOBBIES?

My sketchbook beckons, ave a look see?
    http://www.conceptart.org/forums/sho...09#post1212209
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    this is a promising start. keep it up and splash some color in there. try to stay away from short choppy strokes when sketching

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Lol thanks dude, if u take a look at your thread, i've just thrown a fit of astonishment at your own work!

Why do u stick your nose in other families business'. Come on dude don't u have any HOBBIES?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Blade, the cloth studies look good. Any tips for me? XD and the last two portraits are really looking good man. Hair is a bit clumpy on the last one, but nice pose.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    well u cud always try and take pictures of a teacloth blowing in the wind of a fan or a hair dryer like i did, and then try to get the mannerisms of the cloth down by drawing em out,

As for the hair in the last pic, that was insane hard to do with the shading and stuff, so yeah the hair came out a bit dreadlike, i mite try it again, but a nu tecnique wud be needed for a more convincing effect, u fail once u try again eh? lol

JERI: really sorry for the misinterpretation of the advice u gave me, i was thinking u were taking about the pencil grades when really u were talking about the strokes! i feel real dumb now for not reading your post thoroughly, let me say it's an element on my sketches that i will incorporate as of now, as i've already seen the results of how much more mature it can make ones work too, so cheers mate.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Right another update we have here, i was dying to try JERIs nu suggested line technique, i think it did me wonders, neways finally done some male life drawing, since i seemed to b having trouble drawing males from my head.

Oh yeah i also attempted redoing that avril hair shake picture as well, just to see if i cud make an improvement on the last one.

hope they please

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Can't believe i saw chaos legion fanart, i thought i was the only person who liked that game! Studies and doodles looking good. I will second the votes for lighter, looser, less scratchy lines, and i also think you should work more on those faces. If you're looking for a good anatomy reference, check out george bridgeman - he's my favorite. Keep up the good work.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    very nice stuff great cloth blowing in the wind studies and the male figures will come, just keep working on them. Did a great job on this study, the hair still needs a little more attention but it is very hard to render hair, especially having the strands moving about liike that. I usually do the hair last, so if I screw up, I do it at the end after I spent hours on the rest of the sketch

Sketchbook :: Blog

Trying is the first step towards failure.

Homer Simpson, The Simpsons

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Fishspawn: Indeed i am a big fan of that game, it still annoys me to hell that capcom havent announced a sequel for it. So much untapped potential remains in that franchise, oh well 1 can only hope, glad u like the sketch tho, i actually wanna do a image of one of the grand legions attacks, but will come later. As for faces i plan to do some feature studies 2day cos faces are really kicking my ass at the moment!

OldNoobie: It was indeed a very hard task, i think the main problem tho lies with the meduim i chose, if i was using chalk n charcoal, it wud have been much easier, but cos i have to manage the values of white on the page it often gave me nightmares regarding the positioning of the strands and the values of them too. But still was fun to work on. Cloth studies will continue down the line.

Oh and i notice peeps are a lil bummed about no recent color work, i shall reveal again that im wanting to boost my drawing b4 i go into color, form 1st values later. All in good time

Last edited by Blade-14; March 9th, 2007 at 11:04 AM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Very nice sketchbook so far (thanks for dropping by mine). It's obvious you're putting in a lot of work. I particularly like the figure studies - the new line techniqe shows up in the most recent male studies, but I like the look of the female ones as well. No real crits, but I like! (You have a new subscriber.)

Take a look at my series of in-depth critiques, like this one of Salvador Dali's hidden portrait of Lincoln.

Scott's Sketchbook: Check out my sketchbook. Will swap C&Cs.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I think your lines are stronger, just comparing the two hair shake pics. Think the facial features are coming out more strongly especially?

The hair looks the same to my untrained eye, however...haha, sorry about that : /

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    those male studies came out nice. Keep doing the right stuff. Pen also helps with training your lines, at least i think it helped me a bit. when you can't erase it makes you think more about the form you are drawing before you put a line down. it's like every line is a committment. anyways i'll stop ranting cause i need to do some more studies myself. Keep doing the right stuff. Analyze your technique to find your weakness and see where you can improve. And thanks for stopping by my sketchbook. i appreciate the enthusiasm.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    My smooth line dreams have yet to be realised. learning is a real bitch at times, but must be done nevertheless, theres still lots of room for improvement for me, eventually that room will be filled, then extended! heh heh!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey Blade, I really like you characters. Your studies are awesome, the hands look spot on. Nice Sketchbook!

Last edited by EaN; March 8th, 2007 at 03:01 AM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Very cool variety of styles!! Love the use of vivid colors on your first couple posts. But the figure and hand studies are the most impressive of all. Nice work you seem to be progressing very nicely You have very imaginative characters. You do that armor very well. Keep those studies and concepts flowing!!

!darkchild!

Feel free to checkout my work:
    darkchild's sketchbook

Don't forget to visit the Critique Section!!

* Help a CA artist! Visit the Constructive Critique section! *

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Awesome studies, especially the hands. I need to do more of those myself. I'm impressed by the lady flipping her hair, it takes guts to even attempt something like that. You're not afraid to push your work and go for some complex poses, and that's how every artist should be. Keep on working on those figure studies, your stuff is getting better and better. Can't wait to see more

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Some great stuff blade...although some pics I can't see (red x's).
    I'll check it later on an another pc.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Your studies are creepy as hell--even the hands! How do you do that?

Those hands by the way are very tight.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks for stopping by my sb. You've got some good stuff going on here. The studies are coming along nicely. Keep working on your marks. More smooth lines, less short choppy ones. Keep it up!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Wow. I really like the sheer volume of good stuff that you've shown everyone. The pictures of human anatomy really interest me, especially the guy's muscle anatomy. The female shaking her hair looks amazing.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    EaN: Thank u i plan on developing them further when i have the chance!

Darkchild: and let me say that that 1st one i posted in this thread took me literally forever!, 1st i had to draw it, then trace color it with pencils, then scan it into ps where i used the smudge tool to get the painterly effect. was quite tedious, so i am looking for a painting method wich is a lot quicker. I am glad all that hard work paid off tho!

Nilaffle: Hands were really murdering my art so they had to be beaten to blood with practice. As with complex poses and challenging pics, i feel that a) to pull of an image with is full of movement and dynamicism is very important for ones art appeal so long as u can pull it off nicely, so u will see more!

Bard: Sometimes i get that too, try refreshing the page or going on another time k?

Longxiang: Practice and determination that 1 art element will not stand in your way no matter what the cost!

Bryanyoung: Yep im all for them man, my scans are actually looking a lot better thanks to this nu line technique im trying. still a ways to go tho.

Maxofthesouth: lol im sure there's others who have submitted more than me but i preciate the fact that u think i work so hard!, im pretty familiar with the muscle groups alredy but must do a few check overs on that part wich is why i did it. As for the avril lavigne hair shake pic, i mite touch it up in PS to make it look, well.... better lol, that'll be down the line tho. thank u!

Right here's the next update from me, thought i'd work on facial freature this time round to see if im having any particular trouble drawing them, only thing that really got me was mouth deformation, which i will continue studying soon. but yeah here they are, n hope they please-ish

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Nice dedication being shown here I think your figures would benefit from a structural approach that builds them out from spheres, cubes and egg shapes. Try putting a time limit on your anatomy studies to try and focus only on the underlying forms. Good luck!

~ Stephen

Envisor is offline 21 year old artist workin' to improve! Level 10 Gladiator: Equites
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey dude. Sorry its been so long since I last visited. Those hand studies you posted a while back are really good. But in most of your sketches, you need to use cleaner lines, most of them look good, but if you take a little more time on them, and use some cleaner lines, they'll look freaking awesome. Cant wait to see more.

"Imagination is more important than knowledge"- Albert Einstein

Eric wants to LEARN! Sketchbook

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Very good SB! I like your studies , my favorite pice is this concept http://www.conceptart.org/forums/att...1&d=1171736881
    very strong character!
    Keep it up, ciao

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    lol, I didn't realise there were differences in noses between genders until today. Great stuff you've got here man, keep up the good work!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hi guys this is a quick basic showing of a new picture i've done, took forever to do, about 20 hrs in total, done on A3,

lol once again, a CHAOS LEGION picture,

Crits and comments on it wud be highly welcome, lol don;t worry im not gonna get deflated, i pretty much know what wrong with some parts anyway. But i'm hoping it pleases

Envisor is offline 21 year old artist workin' to improve! Level 10 Gladiator: Equites
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    The only thing that I see is that on the figure with the tongue sticking out, the tongue seems kinda flat and needs more contrast and roundness to it. As does the whole piece needs more contrast to it. But that front figure is just awesome. Great expression on him.

"Imagination is more important than knowledge"- Albert Einstein

Eric wants to LEARN! Sketchbook

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    You got lovely black and white work, nice use of contrast and everything! The body part studies are very good as well.

I feel like your color works lose the amount of detail that they have though. if you could create more depth in the color works the detail won't get lost.

Great work though! I look forward to more!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Some cool pics in here. You're definitely heading the right direction with the figure studies (especially the hands, you can never do too much of those ). Its been mentioned in here before that your lines are a little rough and overworked, this is something I struggle a lot with too. By watching some life drawing videos by Glenn Villpu, I picked up a technique thats helped me a lot. After some real light gesture work, before he lays down the final line, he moves his hand along where he feels the line should be, only its about a quarter inch off the paper. Sometimes he'll do this 3-4 times before he actually makes the mark. This way he pulls a really long flowing line. Trying this myself, it really helped me to visualize what I wanted instead of making a big mess on my paper. Anyway, hope that helps. Good work in here and keep on drawing.

My Sketchbook

-Anthony

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Envisor- Agreed, i guess it was the viewpoint i chose, it definetly makes it tricky to render things consistently, dimension wise. i think the reason they look faded is cos i did it intentionally in PS to make the bigger figures look more like they were in the dstance, so the eyes could read the image much easier. But i will definetly add some more contrast in there to soldify the whole thing more

Zoroko-Hiya! great sketch book btw, Yeah colors have always been plaguing me from day 1, what they tend to do when they're applied to line work is deform the dimensions of the original image if not placed properly producing undesired results. And as for color theory, don't get me started on that lol. It will come with time. But there are occaisions where i don't really know what to work on; color or lines. lol well u neva know i mite surprise ya

AvatarJimmy- Yeah about the line subject it is frustrating me to hell, and it's something i've been recently trying to address, but that nu technique u mentioned i will give a go. I'll take any help i can get so thanks dude .

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.