Need some proportion advice

Join 500,000+ artists on ConceptArt.Org.

Its' free and it takes less than 10 seconds!

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thanks

Need some proportion advice

Hi people im in the process of making a bikini model picture, and i just need to know which of these 2 pieces is more anatomically correct, the 1st one is directly copied from the picture i'm aiming to recreate, and the 2nd is referenced from the same picture but using more of my style on it. Btw if they're both crap pleae tell me what i can do on the pic itself that will help it.

I do aim to finish this so i just need some early look over from the pros. Thank loads.

Attached Images Attached Images    
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    The only thing I would suggest at the moment is to really study anatomy. If you're wanting to do character art, there's really no avoiding it. Try and get copies of anatomy books by Loomis, Hogarth and Vilppu. You'll learn how to craft anatomically correct, or convincing, characters without having to always use reference. Just draw, and practice all the time, going through the books. It should help immeasurably.

Regarding this figure, I would say try and think of the figure as a 3d shape. Try and block in the important masses first of all. I like to start with a couple of sweeping lines to establish a general pose for the character. One of these lines will loosely represent the curve of the spine. Then, I would block in the torso using simple shapes. After this, I would position the legs, paying attention to which leg the weight is being carried on.

The second figure is in a really awkward pose. The position and width of the shoulders don't seem to match up with the position of her head. Also, the arms are anatomically suspect, they both look bent unnaturally.

Anyway, hope this helps, and good luck with the image.

Thanks
    Thanks a lot mate i appreciate u taking to time to help me out, i've actually been drawng for a looooong time funnily, i only recently got into this figure drawing study proper as i never took a proper art course outside of secondary education (me in UK)

I've already done some stuff in that department. If you wanna check it out i've started my own sketchbook thread which i'll be posting all my study stuff good or bad.

I'll check out those books u mentioned as well. Cheers for the assistance man

Thanks
    The first one is better, the second girls head is too small, and the hands look off. I's a good pose however. the recommended books are a great idea, especially "Figure Drawing for all it's worth" by Loomis. If you can't find it, there are numerous pdfs floating around for reference purposes, just google it.

Remember to draw what you see, not what you think you see. Look at your ref at least every 2 seconds, I know it sounds extreme, bt it works!

Hope that helps mate.

The sketchbook thread!

The Art of David and Sarah Cousens: www.CoolSurface.com!
    The Cool Surface Art blog: http://CoolSurface.blogspot.com!

Follow me on Twitter: http://twitter.com/DavidCousens

Thanks
    The Hands are too big. And the Pose seems a little bit stiff.
    I guess you can gain some experiance by getting some books with human anatomy and you will gain more experiance with every drawing you make...

---------------------------------------------------
    I had a lot of experience with people smarter than I am.
    ---------------------------------------------------
    Gerald Ford - US 38th President

Thanks
    In your 2nd drawing always take note of the angle of the shoulders and hips as well. Check your proportions. Study the planes of the head and body. And the way the head is tilted, that means it's in perspective so the features should recede in the direction of the perspective lines that will converge at some point to the vanishing point. The lips are also placed on a cylindrical mass of the superior and inferior maxillary( where the teeth is) so its shape should follow the cylinder. The eyes should have a feeling of being spherical and a feeling of resting in the eye sockets which are concave and often in the shadows.

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.