Art: Oil Pastels..Help!
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thread: Oil Pastels..Help!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Exclamation Oil Pastels..Help!

Hi, sorry if this was posted in the wrong forum, but I need some help with oil pastels. I really don't know how to use them very well, and I just need some tips/tutorials on how to use them. I'm using cray-pas and there probably not the best quality,and I do not have too many colors to work with. Dunno really how to blend them either.

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Elwell is offline Sticks Like Grim Death Level 17 Gladiator: Spartacus' Dimachaeri
    Thanks
    Thanked 16,666 Times in 5,020 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by B-Plant
    I'm using cray-pas
    Throw them away.

Tristan Elwell
    **Finished Work Thread **Process Thread **Edges Tutorial

Crash Course for Artists, Illustrators, and Cartoonists, NYC, the 2013 Edition!

"Work is more fun than fun."
    -John Cale

"Art is supposed to punch you in the brain, and it's supposed to stay punched."
    -Marc Maron

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Moved this to the appropriate section for you.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    oil pastels are cheap for the most part and you can get a better selection of them for $10 - $15 at most art supply stores.

As to the usefulness of them, they are a valid medium for more expressive work (impressionism,expressionist,abstract). Realism is probably not going to be easy with these tools -- however if you are really intent upon using them here are some tips:

1) Work on a good quality pastel paper which is toned the color of the majority of the painting -- this reduces valuable time and resources filling vast areas of paper and give s a nice head start of the work -- canson is the brand best known.

2) Quickly scribble in the masses of your underpainting and blend using mineral spirits (the same kind used for oil painting) with a brush -- this will get a good head start on the painting quickly and save much time.

3) Lay in the final layers thickly pressing hard on the pastel to gain some impasto -- one of the many advantages of oil pastel versus regular pastel.

4) If any blending is required in the final layers its best to get a blending stump for this as the mineral spirits is not ideal here.

I would keep with the student grade for a while until you have an idea wether Oil Pastel is for you -- If you decide that it is I highly reccomend Holbien Artist Quality as your pastel of choice, you will find they are superior to nearly any other oil pastel availible -- however a complete set can set you back several hundred dollars.

Best,
    Jason.

chaosrocks is offline Environment of the Week Leader Level 17 Gladiator: Spartacus' Dimachaeri
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    even with the really good sennier oil pastel is is awesomely difficult to make pastels do anything. they are with out a doubt the most frustrating medium I have ever encountered. this includes Watercolour.
    Im not saying beautiful things cant be done withthem..they can. but I think you hav eto really love them as a medium to do that.
    see
    toulouse la trec
    and Daumier

but blending makes a mess
    chaos

To see the world in a grain of sand, and a heaven in a wildflower, hold infinity in the palm of your hand, and eternity in an hour.

Sketch book

http://conceptart.org/forums/showthr...ight=chaos%27s

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    my opinion -- all pastels (oil or otherwise) should be applied "ala prima" with little or no blending or smudging.

and choosing a paper color that acts as the main "fill" for your image sounds a bit odd to me. i often choose a directly contrasting hue to provide some of the benefits of an underpainting:

this is not oil pastel, but similar effects can be obtained.

Continuity Break -- my sketchbook

Shameless plugs!
    Kata femme -- a 3D model WIP, now updated!
    The Giordano Gambit -- Barsoomian Zingball at its best!
    Valkyrie Ascending -- now updated with the second in a series!
    ArmaRagnaGeddonRock-yer-Yuga! -- celeztial shitz 'n' gigglez
    I . Miss . America -- "colored [eyes] may hypnotize..."

"In the end, Razputin, aren't we all just dogs playing poker?"
    -- Edgar Teglee

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I agree about the blending but that was one of the questions asked... as to toned paper its a personal choice but my preference is to go for speed over effect -- effect is easily enough achieved if desired speed on the other hand is a premium that is hard to come by.

Best,
    Jason.

Last edited by jason_maranto; February 12th, 2007 at 12:11 AM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks for all the advice guys!
    I'll post the results soon, hopefully I won't mess anything up too bad :]

Members who have read this thread: 1