General intro and plea for help
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thread: General intro and plea for help

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

General intro and plea for help

Well, this is gonna serve as a general introduction thread as well as a request for help, I think

I've been reading CA forums for a good while (snooping on you all, ehehe) but was reluctant to register. You see, my dirty little secret is I'm a fanartist. Nearly everything I could possibly post here would be dull, boring, unoriginal fanart. I hope to move away from the fanart thing, but right now I lack the technical ability to design original characters (i.e. knowing nothing about clothes, for a start), so I'm doing these derivative things to learn really. I'm 100% self-taught, sort of blundering along.

Anyway I'm more or less past the stage of "OMG I wanna draw Ash from Pokemon just how he looks in the cartoon!!1one", and starting to try and get a handle on things like perspective and composition and form and color. Operative word being "try".

I was so fed up recently of digital fuzz

"NiGHTS and the Wind Guardian" close-up

and awful awful skin-tone failures

"The Thunder God" close-up

(due I think to a lack of understanding of form and how to achieve it, and light and how to achieve that) that I quit art FOR EVAH in a fit of pique. And then I came to my senses, realized I actually had to TRY in order to improve, and started drawing again but went right back to using 100% hard colors like a toddler. I'm eccentric that way; I figured I was getting bogged down in rendering when my problems were much more fundamental.

Original character

I think this weird discipline has already made me a bit better at the composition end of things. But I still have so far to go.

When put to it I can do a halfway decent still-life

"Nasty Banana on Epson Printer"

and I know I should do more of them but my room where the computer is is north-facing and has almost no natural light. Don't even suggest traditional media; right now if I tried to paint anything I'd probably end up impaling myself on the brush. I've never TOUCHED a paintbrush XD Which end do you use? How do you turn it on?

Anyway I have severe weaknesses with basic drawing (perspective confuses AND terrifies me), composition, and picking appropriate color without sampling it off a photo (cue Psycho shower music). I know these weaknesses. I intend to work on them. And some day, SOME DAY, I will come up with an original concept. And have the skills to realise it the way I see it in my mind.

On to the "help me" part of the post:

I have to do a thing for Valentine's Day. I want a peachy-pink soft soppy look. There'll be two characters looking out over a city and hills. But I CANNOT find the right colors/tones/whatever to use (Forgive my ignorance of the artistic vocabulary). I have such trouble picking colors that work together; I'm still struggling with the grass-is-green sky-is-blue mindset. Here's my thumbnail concept:

Sky choices ok, I think. (That is obviously not the final sky!!!) City ok, it's white but lit all peachy-like. It'll be more than just a blob later on. Tower wall will need to be dark as it is shadowed, I like the sort of lavender gray I've got in there. That darker purple strip thing is to be a river and I suppose I'll be putting reflected light of some sort on it. The problem is those hills. The color/depth/whatever isn't right is it??? I want atmospheric depth, but keeping the light in mind. I've been looking at pics of mountains on Google but haven't found anything appropriate. How do I do it?

Also, advice about the composition would be very gratefully received at this very early point.

Help..?

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Elwell is offline Sticks Like Grim Death Level 17 Gladiator: Spartacus' Dimachaeri
    Thanks
    Thanked 16,666 Times in 5,020 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by tangwistel
    and I know I should do more of them but my room where the computer is is north-facing and has almost no natural light. Don't even suggest traditional media; right now if I tried to paint anything I'd probably end up impaling myself on the brush. I've never TOUCHED a paintbrush XD Which end do you use? How do you turn it on?
    You can operate a pencil, right?
    Well then, problem solved.
    Draw draw draw draw draw draw draw.
    The banana isn't too bad. Do more like that. And by "more," I mean "thousands." Get a sketchbook and get into the habit of taking it wherever you go. You can't get better if you have to be tethered to your computer in order to make art. Draw all the time. Don't even worry about painting or color until your drawing chops are up to snuff. Painting is just another layer of information overlaid on the drawing process, drawing never stops.
    Draw.

Tristan Elwell
    **Finished Work Thread **Process Thread **Edges Tutorial

Crash Course for Artists, Illustrators, and Cartoonists, NYC, the 2013 Edition!

"Work is more fun than fun."
    -John Cale

"Art is supposed to punch you in the brain, and it's supposed to stay punched."
    -Marc Maron

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    ...I deserved that.

Yes, I do own a pencil, and I do even use it occasionally I've got an A3 sketchbook with stuff like a few life drawings from a class I had two sessions of, and bits and bobs from around the house and garden. I was specifically referring to traditional painting; should've been more clear with that one.

Any tips for my little color choice problem here?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    the left area of the printer shows some skilll, i would follow elwells advice and draw alot more from life.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I surrender!

You're both entirely right. I'm dumping all my current projects and I will be drawing 100% from life until further notice. With a pencil. On paper. The computer is a crutch so I am banning myself from it. I've started last night and today doing quick drawings of my left hand and a few shoes that were lying around, trying to get various angles and so forth.

I refuse to be That Guy, you know, the one who posts twice then leaves at the first sniff of criticism. I want to learn. I really, desperately do.

Anyway I'll start a sketchbook thread in a couple days, when I've been able to scan what I've already done, and I hope you'll all advise me. I am a total newbie with a lot of bad habits to unlearn, so please be patient with my stupidity

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.