Sheridan College VS OCAD for Illustration... what are your thoughts??

View testimonialsView Artwork
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Wasp Sheridan College VS OCAD for Illustration... what are your thoughts??

Hi all...

well, i graduated from the art fundamentals program at sheridan back in 2004, and just recently started studying illustration at sheridan. unfortunately i had to leave due to some financial troubles at home with msyelf and my husband. but i'll be returning in the fall of /08.

i have a guarenteed re-entry into sheridans illustration program, but i'm starting to wonder... what about ocad??

there is so much talk about sheridan and ocad's illustration programs, and how they compare. sheridan has an amazing reputation for its achievments and education, and ppl say ocad you can do a little of what you want with the projects assigned. and then ppl say sheridan gives you the work, education and know how to make it out there in the real world after school. etc... etc... etc.

so i come here to ask. what are your thoughts? opinions... actual experience within these two programs. please let me know, i need some guidance. should i stay i put? or should i check out ocad. please tell me your thoughts!!

Thanks so much!

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I've asked this queston before actually...what I've heard from others is that Sheridan is very strict, they'll work you hard and you will get better but you have to do what ythey say.

OCAD gives you more freedom but to get the learing you really have to put yourself out there and talk to the teachers.

Sheridan apparently will give you better contacts in the industry once you leave.

I would imagine that the rent is cheaper around Sheridan which is good...but OCAD is downtown!

[][][][] DRAW EVERYDAY [][][][]>

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey Rubyexplodes,
    I graduated from art fundamentals in 2004 as well... and then in illustration knew someone who had to leave for similiar? same reasons...

Did you know a guy named Ken while you were in illustration? That would be me... haha. Maybe you're the same person I remember?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by kennygeeze
    Hey Rubyexplodes,
    I graduated from art fundamentals in 2004 as well... and then in illustration knew someone who had to leave for similiar? same reasons...

Did you know a guy named Ken while you were in illustration? That would be me... haha. Maybe you're the same person I remember?
    maybe it could be me? you can find me at www.myspace.com/rubyexplodes or http://www.leetster.com/5261

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Since you actually attended Sheridan recently, what did YOU think? What are your goals? Do you want to be a concept artist? If so will Sheridan's curriculum give you the traditional drawing and painting skills you'll need? You were there so I assume you know what graduate work looks like and what percentage of graduates actually end up working in the field they are studying for. If you were happy with what you saw, Sheridan is a good bet for you. You should visit OCAD this spring and look at their graduate show as well. Ask questions. Try to speak with current students and illustration graduates. I would suggest that you also look into Max the Mutt. You can check the website (www.maxthemutt). If concept art is your goal , i think the depth of training in traditional fine art skills at Max the Mutt will interest you.

Last edited by Maxine Schacker; February 17th, 2007 at 10:41 PM.

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.