Sketchbook: BumsUnite_SketchbookV1.0

View testimonialsView Artwork
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following

BumsUnite_SketchbookV1.0

Hey guys heres a few of the sketches, ive done over the past year or so, i know i need improvement...but tell me what you think. Here goes... Any constructive criticism is welcome!

Attached Images Attached Images        
    Last edited by BumsUnite; February 11th, 2007 at 03:08 AM.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    glad to see that you grew some balls and posted a book=D updating it is the important thing. i am biased w your work because i know you... so with that said, put your full effort into what your doing, you clearly did that with the first study of the magnifying lens and the middle skeleton, particularly the pelvic bone. now apply that to everything you do. i would like to see some of your environments, that little mountain sketch u have under the figure drawing looks promising. i like the composition of it. i think the main thing you need to focus on is understanding form. your proportions are everywhere. try thinking in relativeness to other shapes and forms you see. aside from that, just enjoy it.. your too serious. u think too much. get in the zone and let yourself go man. music helps=X

Last edited by kawakaze; February 12th, 2007 at 01:30 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Heres some anatomy studies i did earlier tonight. Better late than never.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Some more anatomy studies. Its getting interesting...

Thanks
    Thanked 1,585 Times in 604 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    it's good to see anatomical studies, god knows I need to do them myself more then I already do - but you should really watch those proportions

Anyway hep hep 1, 2, 1, 2 work that pencil and watch evolution in progress ~ looking forward to see what you'll produce in the future

SB. p31 updated 25.04.2012.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    definetly watch those proportions. its good to see that you are doing these studies and i can tell that you are paying more attention to the subtlties in form but look at the big picture when you are doing these, not just a bone but rather look at the whole leg, or the whole body etc. map out your proportions really lightly using reference points such as joints before you go in and start shaping your forms. u may even want to use a ruler when doing these studies. jsut get comfortable drawing them again and again, eventually it will come naturally to you and you will be able to judge with your eye on the general proportions.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Well its conclusive, i suck at proportions. Or rather, i just havent tried hard enough to get them right. You both are probably right, however i dont see that they are too far off. I suppose its only because im seeing what i meant to draw, not what i actually drew... (like proofreading your own essay)

I promise to work on taking proportions seriously and getting them right. Any suggestions of specific practices or excercises that helped you perfect your proportions? Is there any way you like to anylize the proportion that i might not know about?
    I would much appreciate it. If not, ill just go on drawing legs arms, and figures untill i get it right.

Thanks for the insightful criticism!

M

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    ok so i couldnt put it down, i got all caught up and its now 354 am. whew, im bushed.

but let me know what you guys think.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    that is an incredible improvment from your previous post. im curious as to how you came about doing this. its pretty on point, i really like your treatment of hues although i would love to see that light reflect on your face a little more. your adams apple seems to run into your chin a bit and your forehead is a bit flat but thats badass man. keep picking at it and it will come to life even more.

Last edited by kawakaze; February 18th, 2007 at 12:57 AM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I cheated it a bit by outlining things on the photo, and pasting them onto my previous sketch to get an idea of where everything went wrong. Once i figured out where the eyes were supposed to be and at what angle, it was cake to get the rest align and be in proportion. It was quite simple using only a scrubber brush. i thought it would be hard but i just kept at it, i started to use a bigger brush and it helped to smoothe everything a bit. then went again in witha small one for the details. Usually using pen pressure on opacity jitter.

For my pallette i cheated a bit too by choosing several colors from the photograph.

I agree theres a few things i could work on but im gonna consider this one done.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey,nice to see some anatomy studies there
    and as for portrait i think it looks great,andi guess a little cheating at the beginning can help ^^

~B. Klarić
    ---SSG#46---
    Blaz ł MarkWinters ł petitemistressł sfa ł Shmaba
    -

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    HOLY CRAP! I JUST WON A 250 $ GIFT BASKET FROM BLICKS OF PRISMA COLORS!!! BAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHAHAHA. Mostly colored pencils a set of 12 markers tho.
    Im gonna go use them now so check it out later and ill have some stuff to post.
    M

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Ive been holed up for a while animating shit, i wonder if i can post videos. Ive mostly been fuckin with my markers trying to learn how they work. Not too much to update unfortunately. Just some experiments.

Last edited by BumsUnite; August 9th, 2007 at 12:23 AM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Massive Brown

Dump.
    make sense of it if you can...
    I didnt have a model for any of the sketches that look kinda human, i guess its obvious. comments welcome

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Here are a couple images to peep. Anybody else feel that earthquake?
    edit-
    The first image is a combination of a photograph i took of car lights and painting.

The hand is a drawing from a photo of a Rodin sculpture at the Foreign Legion Museum in San Fransisco. I really mapped it out using the ruler in photoshop. With the extras i was able to place a point at all the extremes of the hand, and getting as close to the photo as i could without actually tracing it. I first mapped out the background, and the pedestals, then used the intersection of that with the guides that i had set up to block in the form of the hand. I know its really loose, and i plan on going back and making it better, but i wanted to limit my time on that one to see how efficient i could be. I think i need to learn more about brushes.

Last edited by BumsUnite; March 3rd, 2007 at 02:40 AM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Heres some figure drawings.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Ok i got bored and felt like throwing in some of my sketches from the aquarium that i have had in my sketchbook for a few weeks now. I hope to hear some feedback

Last edited by BumsUnite; March 3rd, 2007 at 11:51 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Blaz - Thanks for the compliment! I think that through cheating a bit in the begining i was able to see what i was doing wrong with a lot of my drawing, that is, i was not finding points and edges first, and making sure 100% that they are in the correct spot, proportionately to one another. It might be interesting to note that i usually never plan my drawings, i just start to scribble and scrawl on the page. It usually turns out to be nothing good or legible, and i have filled up several sketchbooks this way. I need to try to discipline myself to line everything up right and map it all out first before actually making a mark on the page. I made an attempt at this new strategy/method when i blocked in the shapes for the Rodin sculpture, but when it came to the highlights i lost that control. I think at some point ill go back and re-paint those lighter areas.

Dan- Hey man, thanks for the kind words. I know you and Kawazake are right, i need to learn proportions. I think this week ill copy/print some anatomy at school and study it.

Kawa-BUNGA DUUUUUDE!

Ali Babba and the forty theives -thats supposed to be a camel in the foreground

Last edited by BumsUnite; March 3rd, 2007 at 09:44 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks for stopping by my sb. Keep working on those proportions, it takes a while to get it right. Keep drawing from life. Also, I don't know about color picking from a photo for your paintings. You're not learning anything that way. Maybe try to get the color right yourself first, then color pick the ref to see if you're on the right track.

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.