GODS AT WAR TD -Votes 1st ROUND IN!! - Page 8
Join Free Art WorkShopJoin Premium Art Workshop

Page 8 of 11 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 LastLast

Thread: GODS AT WAR TD -Votes 1st ROUND IN!!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Im still waiting on two judges (Elwell and Jason), other judges picks are almost identical.

J.L. ALFARO

"Be who you are and say what you feel,because those that mind don't matter and those that matter don't mind."
    -Dr. Seuss

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    thanks for the crits and comments guy
    i would go through and crit everybody's pics in a long exhaustive manner but you all beat me too it!
    and there isnt much more needing to be said
    if anyone DOES want my opinion you can always PM me (ps: im a lot more harsh in private, but honest, just a warning)
    the artist fox: she does in fact have eyes, if you go to my SB i posted detail shots they are just very light in color
    and im not sure what you meant by wanting to se more "me"
    but i am a graphic designer as well
    so that sort of stuff is just as much me as the painting

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    thanks for the feedback SVE & vorbiss! really appreciate it. & be harsh! have no shame, be very honest about things. Just like you were with my pieces. I have learned quite a bit from your comments guys. Improving as I go...

later!
    GRiNGoLoCo

"Nihil est in intellectu quod non prius in sensu" | SB | Portfolio | FJGC (blog) | DA (Profile) | EJERCICIOS DE COLOR

sve is offline Registered User Level 16 Gladiator: Spartacus' Retiarii
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    arttorney. My money on the configuration, because your Chaac God looks human like and I can assume he has all the same vulnerable spots as we humans, but your Yog Sothoth God-configuration is an abstract and has an advantage being better armed by unknown qualities than just a simple hammer and fit muscles. At least for me his psychedelic appearance suggests much more sophisticated way to kill than all I can imagine. I wonder how he was able to father two children from human female too.
    Interesting idea of battle of human like with multicolored cloud.
    Crits: hard to say anything, because your painting is close to abstract and you put some symbols there to put us in certain mood, subconscious meditating. There is no composition strictly speaking and no priorities in objects. There is no FG and MG or BG, everything is flows into each other like before anything solid on Universe were created.
    Starry sky becomes a ground, earth on the contrary becomes a air their breath. I'd say it is image done against most of the rules. with purpose to look at things with fresh mind. And it is hard thing to do. OK, I think figure of God Chaac looks funny to me, but all picture has this naive feeling, and doesn't pretend to be realistic. I'll say it has a wild, ancient feeling to it. But I'm not sure I can get involved with it. I don't relate, I look from a distance at it.

The Artist Fox Your image has a charm of old past events, of heroic story happened some time ago. Partly to faded, blurred colors and and partly to almost Biblical kind of story and presence so many animals in the picture, it makes your image look distance from our times, with different from our life, with talking animals and people behaving in dramatic, exalted manner.

I like very many objects on their own in your picture, I like the lion and Pegasus, and frogs ( they look like non-conformists frogs with their front extremities risen like in protest), and Sandman. I wish i could shake the picture and create some new rearrangement of the characters, new composition. Because despite the raw feeling from your image, it is very hard to read, you put to much pressure on the viewer to separate images and rethink the story. Your overuse of blur and soft edges kind of adds to this. I wish you used hard edges and lead your viewer a little where the priorities and focal points in you picture are.
    ----------------------------------------
    voodochile I wonder If I were able to guess right who the author of this painting is if your name wasn't available. I think I would have guessed wrong. Although it seems there is some certain female type of faces your prefer or find expressive at least. With prominent well define nose, deep sitting under eyebrows eyes and big mouth. I think it is wonderful that you don't go with stereotype of beauty and searching for new fresh impressions.
    Your Morrigan looks very human, almost our contemporary (your Theodora had the same quality).
    Desperate, not perfect goddess with a regular face, not the most powerful between the other gods, but depicted quite in the extremely agitated state of mind. When she doesn't think clearly, desperate and on the verge of her spirit. She helps herself with the scream, not to scare her enemies, but to let it anger and fear leave her, to add force to her sword. She looks like a wild animal defending herself in the most possible way. I'm not sure all her sword swings hit the target, But I think her spirit is high, pumped by her fear as well.

Her enemies are in good control of themselves.

Crits: I have two doubts about your picture. First is colors, they are very mild and subdued. it is strong and energetic browns and mauves, but they are not the most talking colors in given situation, I think. Not very engaging in my opinion. The second, I think the composition or cropping is not the beat. The mountain where all this is happening is not that interesting to look and it takes half of the picture, not offering much for eyes and brains.
    Good feeling of air and motion and wind in the picture and I think it allows me to present near the characters and it has illusion of sounds and noises, well birds present in picture almost always do this effect for me, birds are hard to silence.

Amishcommy well Arkady, I think you deserve a lot of spanking for being so disorganized. Wonderful idea, with great potentials , so much elegance and grace and sensuality already in the picture and all this in the middle between sketch, idea in its first stage of being born and beautiful story telling. One might say it has already everything in the picture, but I can't agree. Although the figure of the lion goddess with beautiful arms and shoulders and smooth pose and gesture is a lot, but the rest of the picture didn't get any attention from you. You are not in love with the rest of the picture, how do you expect your viewer to fall in love with it? People are not blind, they will notice that you don't care about the rest.
    I hope you are planning to finish this image, It has great potentials, The main character, the focal point is beautiful and great find. There is so much taste in her figure and in the colors already. I would suggest to refine the FG, the crowd.
    Please consider to cover this huge monotone area like the head of the man with his back to us with some more shapes and details. It is big and ugly and pulls all attention to itself because it is dark and monotone. Reduce its importance by making it divided or partly overlapped by other shapes.
    Create a crowd confronting the obsessed goddess, make it noisy, bloodthirsty or scared or agitated or intoxicated with feeling of goodness cornered by her enemies. Tell the story about these people too.

Colors, I like them, maybe they are not aggressive, but they are energetic and swift nevertheless and they paint certain personality, very elegant one.
    Please don't bloke the goddess and her arrow with anything. But build the rest of the picture around her.
    Don't loose the spontaneity and liveliness of your image, don't polished it until it becomes dead and not breathing. keep emotion alive.
    That's just a suggestion,I love very many thing in you image, hope you will finish it.
    -------------------------------------------------
    Timothy I like poses and faces and I think it is a good story telling, I would suggest some different cropping of the picture, because right now it is too much empty space on the top, left, right and bottom of the picture.
    I would suggest to cut this off and paint your characters with more details and values on their skins, cloth, textures. Just to make them more interesting and rich in details, it will enrich the story very much, in my opinion.

tou Despite three panels in your image I still didn't understand what happened and who are the leading character in your picture. Personally I like the face in the FG of the second image, it takes the most atention and makes me look longer at it, because of interesting expression and apparently some story behind it. The rest of the image looks not very involving to me., a bit cold.
    -----------------------------------------
    Bloodstone I saw your picture in bigger size in your sketch book and I'm glad I did, because this small image didn't carry to me the magic from white wheel of hypnotic letters on the top of the goddess head. It is the most charm of the picture together with the spiral she created with her motion.
    Despite that figure of the goddess is beautiful on its own I don't think the pose is the most expressive and suitable for this image. I would prefer something not that calm, somehting with weird and spooky taste.
    If divided ocean and running letters on the top of the picture prepare me for something extraordinary and never seen before experience in my life, the goddess figure kind of kills it for me. I would say she doesn't move fast enough, she sort of hanging in the air. And I think it is very important to find the very expressive pose for this picture and make it to create the unique sensation. Anything ordinary and recognizable kills a wonderful effect from the rest of the picture. I wish you hint on the speed of her motion too, kind of smear the outline, shape from the traction.
    Colors are lovely, mature and overwhelming. Maybe if you chose her pose sort of bended, with knees being pressed against her body it would be better. It is your choice though. Maybe she is not that goddess I imagine.

Briareos lovely style and rendering, but i am not sure what it the story of this goddess. Her face is a bit too distanced and I kind of distracted by these blurred imitation of smokes on the bottom of the page, they go against the style of the rest of the picture. I wish you painted them in some stylized manner. the same I would say about fire sparks, I wish they were less realistic,more cartoons. I like this feeling of height in your picture and little town in fire behind her feet. I wish it was some different angle, perspective on the body of the goddess, more overlapped. I wish you put some more values and highlight on the stomach, hips and legs of the goddess.
    --------------------------------

Trevor I think you challenged yourself to a bigger task, but like with some parents, not all children got the same love from you.
    The first image with the portrait of scandalous goddess is perfect. She is right to her description: the one who wasn't invited to wedding. Because lets face it, she would turn the wedding into farce. Just look at her face. The only way to make her smile is to make a major disaster to yourself. She is not a compassionate type.
    Very good reading into character. Pouty lips, disrupting community's comfort hairdo, non-conformist pose and manner to dress, arrogant glance and brow risen with contempt..
    Really like the first image and I like this mix of contemporary and old times feeling from it. Apple looks very harmonic with the rest of portrait. I like a little black design as well.
    I like the image with little half abstract painting of human like figure and flock of black birds. I think it is a good hint on personality of the main character, disagreeable, sly, unfriendly, very intelligent, hostile bird.
    I like simplicity in the design and effortlessness.
    The third image is falling out of general style in my opinion. You started to use this painterly, rough style all of the sudden, lose textures and went with smooth manner to paint. I don't think these rough, simple looking rim highlights on the goddess body and warriors are appropriate considering that the whole triptych done with gentle, elegant textures and lovely uncertainly. Yes, it is a battle scene, well still, looks out of style in my eyes. I think it would be better to make highlight gentle and smooth like in this marble reminding body in the first picture. You put the lightest values on the shoulder of the goddess, it pops up from the picture, but it makes the picture a bit disharmonic looking all together, IMO.
    I wish you made it more stylized looking like the rest of the picture, less painterly realistic. Because you did a triptych, I think you need to be very consistent with the style. Style is everything in the series of the pictures (comics and so on) the same way as consistency of the characters.
    Overall it is a very elegant entry, I would add it feels like influence of maybe other artists, and if you want to know I think your mermaid done for Chow was nothing like I saw before, totally fresh and original looking character and style. It was beautiful too.
    Yep, I want your crits if you have time and wiling to help.

evildisco Beautiful, very integrate image. You are very versatile. I remember your ice cream seller in catlike automobile, it was very different, I would have problem to guess it is the same artist work. That's very nice to not know ahead what artist will prepare for you.
    My favorite part of your image is the imitation of silk clothes of your goddess. It is stylization, but very truthful one and I like how you did folds and silky highlights and arabesques on the sleeves. That's very elegant. I like how you added aquamarine reflection to dark clothes as well.
    Everything done with the same degree of stylization, faces of goddess, her enemies, clothes, clouds, that's subtle and shows a good taste and sense of balance in my opinion.
    As a critique I would suggest to diminish bright light BG behind goddess back, to make is less domineering. It competes with goddess's figure and carries less importance or information. I personally think its warmness makes the cool hue of the goddess body looks strange, in such a warm air her body will look warmer even if she has a blue skin, I think.
    Good composition and motion overall. Hard to criticize, it is very will thought out image.
    Edit: I just noticed you reused two merged human figures on the BG near feet of the goddess, I think it would be better to change them to make them less alike.

Last edited by sve; February 18th, 2007 at 09:08 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Djohnston Such a strange piece, it really stands out with its mood. I have to admit I didn't take it in in the first and even second times. But I'm starting to like it more with every look at it. I hope you take it as a compliment, because it means your piece requires certain mood and brains work. It is not counted on immediate effects, more on careful and attentive observation. I think technically it is flawless in my eyes, although it does look a little strange that you depicted your two characters in different manner, one is like airy, gentle colored drawing, another as a painting with heavier technique.
    The image persistently leads me in pondering mood, very strongly, despite it looks so unpretentious on the first glance. I think there are many hints and tricks to make me feel slightly fogged in my brains. Especially those clouds, In my mind it is a major way to make your viewer feel sedated and introverted.
    Then the fact that two characters are no interacting with each other, They go and look into opposite direction and actually they bodies create T-like shape. It is like they are escaping from each other.
    The picture feels like it is happening in slow motion, like reminiscence, like weak memory which surfaces with hard efforts form the past.
    Your hero is so strange, there is nothing heroic or aggressive in his figure, on the contrary he looks relaxed and passive and slow thinking in a way, like his brain is intoxicated or not functioning normally. So strange to look at this battle.
    The big animal is very strange too. It is passing by, like huge dark shadow, soundless, elusive and I don't even have a chance to see his snout and I really want to. I repeat, very strange piece, gentle and controlling in the same time. Feels like a seduction on my brains.

yadam Have to say, your picture looks very strange too. Are you two guys who chose each other as opponents willingly? There is something unusual in both of your views at world as I can feel in your art. Both battles you depicted are very unusual.
    Your God looks like a huge curious aged child. He isn't even felt as material or intimidating by me despite his huge body and cane. He just looks very engaging in his new game. It is like an eternal destruction of the constructed by a parent tower game for him, always fresh and promising with new visuals and sound effects. He isn't even totally present in this picture, he looks like someone who came from these ghostly hardly seen mountains. And the town he destroys already doesn't look very material too, he is taking it with him into non-being.
    People remain material and fleshy in this picture. And despite that they can't do anything to this quite peaceful big child. Big disaster for the citizens of this town, he doesn't even fight back, just enjoys making holes in construction. That makes the battle humorous looking. And this God is married? really? looks like he didn't hit puberty yet. Crits. Well I wish you connected two parts of the picture more, the people look way too real and heavy in contrast to weightless rest.
    ---------------------------------
    Strych9ine Despite the deprived of sleep face of the child in the second picture this adventure of the Cody the Awesome looks very lighthearted and effortless. I don't think he is accustomed with a word "resistance" just yet. It is mostly jumping and hopping and winning hearts on his way from one candy store to another. Imaginary friends and soldiers look rough, but that because their leaders gets easily bored with commonly accepted norm and appropriate. He needs something picturesque. They do look like his future bar buddies though.

Good reading into character. Your little boy looks energetic and easily to get excited and engaged in the game, charming, charismatic, naive heheh, not calculating at all (well, OK, 4 and half is too early to put labels on, but still this baby is easy to manipulate with cheap tricks, toys and attractions to soak into game, but hardly stays longer if his interest dries up. he is open heart child, just look at his wide gestures. Boyish boy, no imaginary woman friend between his imaginary army. I like him, I would give him a lollipop.
    He will not stand against my girl though.
    Crtis, well it is lovely done image, this gray and blue looks sweet on the brown paper, very tasteful.
    This presentation makes my brow to rise.
    But...it adds to the careless personality of Cody the Little and Cody the Big.

eriboss Mood presents in your picture, very disturbing and easy to enter into my mind. Because it'sstraightforward and commonly accepted symbols of fear, aggressiveness and death: skulls, open rib cages, darkness, teeth, indefinite contours and silhouettes, torn flesh. It seems to work wit people and I understand your right to stay in your comfort zone, because gore looks like your comfort zone to me. but your pictures and manner is getting predictable for me. I wish you tried to surprise your viewer more. I liked your piece in Scandinavian/English battle very much, it was done with a bigger attention to viewer entertainment and desire to adventure , in my opinion.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------
    fedezz I like that you try so many different approaches in your art.
    You are truly fearless and art is a real pleasure to you as it seems. It is always a joy to look at your images. There is always a charm of your own personality in the picture. And i doubt you are violent in any way. And probably, partly because of that, it is hardly a battle in your picture, I would interpret it as emergence situation actually and these people sincerely trying to help poor Emperor stuck in the desert with his awkward body.
    Except the character with a gun of course. Still I think you didn't guess body language right, in my opinion. The picture looks like an extraordinary situation, but Emperor looks helpless and not powerful to make any big damage.
    Beautiful landscape and face of the man in the front.

Soja I like grinning face of the bigger God but in my eyes this picture needs much more work to be done to make it enjoyable and characters better defined and enriched with personality hints.
    ------------------------------------------

Wasker I like the far out view with hardly seen figure of Thor fighting a huge crowd of people, he looks self- forgetful swing his hammer. I think picture will benefit if you crop it from a left or right more to move the figure of warrior away from the center, I think it will adds dynamics.

Clocks Me dear, I even can't tell who is who in your picture, I do like the fresh stylization in the farthest from me character, those disassembled arms and legs.
    I think foreshortening of the arm of closest to me character is way too big, the arm and hands diminishes way too fast, but in a way it is not bad, it seems like very grotesque like style, intendedly distorted anatomy in your picture.The image looks not finished, on the fist stages of developing for me.

Last edited by sve; February 18th, 2007 at 08:55 PM.

chaosrocks is offline Environment of the Week Leader Level 17 Gladiator: Spartacus' Dimachaeri
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Sveta darling. you are a trouper. Its a daunting task isn't it? Thanks for taking the time to do this...

*shares all lobstahs and champagne with Sve"

chaos

poke..poke...POKE? judges????? results?????
    grrr...

To see the world in a grain of sand, and a heaven in a wildflower, hold infinity in the palm of your hand, and eternity in an hour.

Sketch book

http://conceptart.org/forums/showthr...ight=chaos%27s

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Yeah, Nellie, it is a working on my own character, training will, controlling weaknesses . but it's OK. Maybe I will straighten up my karma or something, or maybe I'll get new crits from new people .
    Writing crits is fine, correcting many grammar mistakes is a hard job.
    Edit: may I ask why Chip calls you Roxie and you told me your name is Nellie?

Last edited by sve; February 18th, 2007 at 01:46 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Nellie said... "Masquie"

Chip thought... "chaosrocksy"??? Naaaahhhh.

"ROXIE" !!!

simple.

Continuity Break -- my sketchbook

Shameless plugs!
    Kata femme -- a 3D model WIP, now updated!
    The Giordano Gambit -- Barsoomian Zingball at its best!
    Valkyrie Ascending -- now updated with the second in a series!
    ArmaRagnaGeddonRock-yer-Yuga! -- celeztial shitz 'n' gigglez
    I . Miss . America -- "colored [eyes] may hypnotize..."

"In the end, Razputin, aren't we all just dogs playing poker?"
    -- Edgar Teglee

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    No, for me it isn't... ? Some story behind it?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Inspiring stuff! Good job participants and organizer

Anid Maro is offline Psychotic Eldritch Zeppelin Level 9 Gladiator: Hoplomachi
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Okay, here I go again...

I'm starting with Wasker and ending with Strych9ine. Only five this time, but I figure if I work in small pieces, it won't seem quite as much like the daunting task that it actually is.

Oh, and by the way, I'd like to thank everyone who has been able to critique my piece. I know I made several crappy choices in it, but my participation here was more of a learning process than anything else. And every critique I've gotten has helped me see what mistakes I made and how I can avoid them in the future. Far as I figure, you can't avoid failure unless you've failed before, right?

So thanks people.

Wasker:

I like the sort of "reversed focus". That is, the area around the lightning off in the distance is very tightly rendered while everything else is a little looser. This really helps make it clear who is Thor (the guy kicking ass with the lighting), without it he'd be hard to pick out.

One minor nitpick is the guy's cloak in the foreground. Would it really be catching that much light from the torches? I'd have restricted the torch glow to the very edges of his cloak, but like I said, it's just a minor nitpick.

Soja:

Hmm... I think this one could have used a bit more work. Right now it just reads really flat to me. Perhaps some harder edges with the lightning to make Raiden pop out more or some more defined fire effects around Akuma.

I'm not sure about the blackish blob in the lower left. It looks like a mountain or hill of somesort. Personally, I'd have positioned it directly under Akuma and opened up the top so that it was like a volcano. That way you could have Akuma popping out of the volcano with lava and fire spewing about.

However, it looks like you weren't quite able to finish this, so I'll assume you had something totally awesome brewing and just ran out of time.

Fedezz:

This piece is truly one of my favorites here (I'm probably gonna be saying that a lot).

Firstly the environment is beautiful. Feels like it's on the fringes of some village/city, beyond the town spans a great desert, the haze really brings in depth, et cetera.

The lighting too, is great, particularly the gunshot. And then the characters, the guy running in fear, the woman pulling the guy with the gun, and then Leto II reaching out.

In fact, I haven't read Dune at all, so I haven't the slightest what this Leto II is capable of, but the look of anger and determination on his face coupled with the intense fear of the other three characters lets me know that whatever Leto II is about to do, it's gonna be really jacked up.

All in all, nicely done!

Eriboss:

I have mixed feelings on this one.

On one hand, I really love the style, textures, and in general how everything looks. It's kinda twisted and dark, which fits perfectly with your description of Mot.

On the other hand, I don't feel this illustrates anything. The first two images are pretty simple, they are just showing profiles of the gods. The third, however, without the description I'd be scratching my head.

I'm not sure if I'm being anal about this, but I've always taken the phrase "A picture tells a thousand words" to heart. The text is just gravy, the picture itself should be able to give you the general story all on it's own.

This is not to say that the image tells me nothing. In fact what I like is how the color scheme, textures, and stylized anatomy just radiates evil. I know that this is a bad place, no question. But I just don't know what's happening in this bad place without the help of your description.

In short, it looks badass, but it isn't terribly descriptive. Nice work, nontheless.

Strych9ine:

Heh, the concept alone throws this into the upper tiers for me.

If I'm reading this right, it's Cody the Awesome that is drawing his four trusty warriors and is thereby the "God", since it is Cody who is creating these people and their world.

There are really nice touches all around. Like how one of the four warriors is a redrawing of Cody himself.

Or the tape! The tape is awesome! It reminds me of when I was a kid and how I'd draw huge sprawling stick figure battles. Of course, I'd run out of space, so I'd just grab another piece of line paper and tape it on.

The textures help to give this loads of life as well.

Fantastic work.

-My work can be found at my local directory thread.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by sve
    No, for me it isn't... ? Some story behind it?
    not really, beyond what's already explained. and the name's kinda cute like chaos, and it's from one of my favorite musicals, Chicago, and...

this kinda leaches all the fun out, Sve.

Continuity Break -- my sketchbook

Shameless plugs!
    Kata femme -- a 3D model WIP, now updated!
    The Giordano Gambit -- Barsoomian Zingball at its best!
    Valkyrie Ascending -- now updated with the second in a series!
    ArmaRagnaGeddonRock-yer-Yuga! -- celeztial shitz 'n' gigglez
    I . Miss . America -- "colored [eyes] may hypnotize..."

"In the end, Razputin, aren't we all just dogs playing poker?"
    -- Edgar Teglee

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Sveta thanks
    crits noted
    and one coming your way
    later today i will get to the crits some of you have PM'ed
    me for so get ready

chaosrocks is offline Environment of the Week Leader Level 17 Gladiator: Spartacus' Dimachaeri
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    soon the name on everybodys lips..is gonna be Roxie....

heheh
    chaosrox

To see the world in a grain of sand, and a heaven in a wildflower, hold infinity in the palm of your hand, and eternity in an hour.

Sketch book

http://conceptart.org/forums/showthr...ight=chaos%27s

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thank you Sve for your time. Quite insightful.

DON'T CLICK THIS

Thanks
    Thanked 1,429 Times in 152 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    thanks for the kinda words and crits on mine! yeeeeeeee

when's the result coming out anyways?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Anid, sve, thanks for all the insight and comments. Thanks to everyone else who commented too, it's much appreciated for sure. We're just one big, happy family aren't we?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by bumskee
    when's the result coming out anyways?
    what where we doing here again?
    Hey, Remmember when we had that god's at war TD? Thoes where the days huh?
    Whatever happened to thoes results? Did they ever come in eventually?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    There was one thunderdome where I don't believe winners were EVER chosen so I wouldn't be surprised if this takes AT LEAST a month. I'm shocked some of those judges could even make time to judge this thing. So get to work on some art and don't worry about when the results come back.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey Guys!

Thanks again for the crits. I really appreciate all the thought that was put into them. Great work people and thanks!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Alright. Well thanks for crits. To clear some things up about my piece, I was attempting to show how two gods can do combat to the level of attempting to overwhelm or consume each other's respective realities. The protoplasmic nuclear chaos described in Yog Sothoth's Wiki invades from below while Chaac's universe of storm clouds overbears from above. The Americas are not on Chaac's axe, the Americas ARE Chaac's axe. He's a god so he can do that. (I figured it was best to think big when dealing with gods.) I realize it could be abstract to some eyes, but gods are abstract to me. I had thought it was the most realistic painting I ever posted on here. I am kind of bemused by how different everybody is. (Something to contemplate, well at least for me. I contemplate too much.)

Last edited by arttorney; February 19th, 2007 at 08:12 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Justin Oaksford It's hard for me to feel an antipathy to these young flexible arms in your picture. You gave them such a beautiful shape, thin with fragile wrists. And overall, it's kind of beaten into me with all years of propaganda, that it is a symbol of protest and cry for help. Wrong symbol, maybe only for me.
    I wish you emphasized the greediness and cruel gesture of these hands, like the one where it grabs the white bird. Somehow it gets lost and not noticed from the first sight.
    Just symbolically I didn't feel these sharp opposites in you picture: The Good and the Evil, two diametrically opposite entities.
    God as mysterious building up there looks distanced and uninviting. I wish you went for two very defined extremities.
    You said Satan's fighting back, but for me the war takes place on the Satan's territory, it would be better if you add drama showing how Satan moves toward its goal and I wish the fighting had more passion in it.
    Technically I think it would be better to remove those fire splashes to make the hands and arms more predominant in the picture or at least make them lower (the fire, I mean). I think you need to add some vicious gesture to these hands. I think you need to add some symbols of light and Love to the upper part of the image, to the God depiction. I wish you showed beauty and strength in the same time in the silhouettes of angels.
    It would be better to define priorities in your pictures, right now it is a bit chaotic in my opinion, and eyes don't have any lead from you where to look. Too many points of focus. As I said define two opposite poles and the rest should be less in value, sharpness or meaning.

Snarfevs How strange, I don't feel much biting, scratching and bludgeoning, I personally prefer to think those two strange creatures are dancing or swirling in some weird hypnotic motion, interweaving their bodies into each other. Your picture is silent, their mouthes are closed and you hint on the action happening in space, soundproof. I think it does feel like something being created in this strange action rather somethings being destroyed. Well for me it looks like scene of creation of the world. The colors are very delightful too, light carrying.
    I think your composition is not very smooth, not very balanced. Maybe you did this on purpose, but it doesn't fill the page in comfortable for eyes way, too asymmetrical and rough. Maybe it helps to add emotion, but as design I don't think it is the best composition.
    My daughter liked your picture the best. Said it looks real, that's the highest compliment to art from this 8 years old. I think she liked how you define volume and form. The bodies pop up from the BG.
    ----------------------------------
    Green Topaz You got beautiful image here and you are really very gifted person. Such a striking combination of gifts in you. You have an unusual taste, love for fresh and rare combination of colors. You have a bold independent imagination, able to see scenes and stories in all their vividness, strikingly spooky and passionate. And you have a steady hand to catch all this on the paper.
    Very independent, original mind, I hope you will keep your own way to think and paint.

Your Kali is so insane. She is like a sick animal foaming at her mouth, rolling her eyes on the back of her head and moving deeper and deeper in mad self-forgetfulness. And it is not the first time I see you catching those hard to nail human emotions. I remember your picture of the girl being soaked into mouth of some other creature standing behind her, and he in his turn being soaked into another one and this fine expression of satisfaction and pleasure on the faces. So strange and so precise.
    I like very many details in your new one and I like it all together. I like her little feet and hands painted with blood, feet look like dressed in little red socks with ornaments and I like this cozy detail on the crazy goddess. I admire this mad motion caught by you, that's something I don't see very often and you were so fearless and did this beautifully.
    I do think that there are some things to make better in your picture. First of all it still looks a bit like speed paint, I think it will benefit from a little more polishing with condition that you will not lose speed and emotion of the picture. When I first look at your picture I didn't see main points of interest in it. The objects are not very different in values, if you convert your picture in gray scale I think you will see a need of more contrast to main objects and less to not important ones.

The light BG partly creates this effect too. It steals attention from the action. I think it would be better to make the swirls and arabesque of stylized sky very pale and hardly recognized by eye, very subtle. it would make it much more refined too in my opinion. You don't have do this of course.

I think the bended leg of the Goddess is too short. I might be wrong though.
    Overall it is a great image. A lot of respect for creating such an amazing piece and for unusual way of thinking. Hope to see more of your interesting thoughts in art.

Noen Azdak I think emotion is very strong in your picture and personality of passionate God , not knowing anyone even to him, being in ecstasy of battle is very vivid. Strong composition and wonderful story telling. I do think you got too involved with emotion and overused saturation in your picture. Colors are too loud and you don't give any break to your viewers, everything is equally important in your picture: God with his expressive body language and the rock he stands on, And I think it should be other way, God figure is the first object to be in my eyes and the rock is where my eyes will get some break from intensity.
    Besides, Japanese like gentle mineral paints and delicate manner to talk. Kudos for choosing an original story and for fresh way to look at the theme.
    ----------------------------

Anid Maro That's for sure an emotional picture, very intense in body language and colors and gestures. Everything is extreme in you picture from the fore shortening to use of textures. That's of course a message for me, your viewer. But I think you have to balance this more. Human eyes have limits what they can take in and what brains can analyze. You are overusing effects in my opinion. So many rough textures and sharp outlines when you trying to separate one object from another, but they all scream " look at me" and trying to block another form with its own importance.
    Foreshortening of the murderer's body is way too extreme, IMO, and if you draw closest to us knee and feet that big, his body needs to be abnormally too far from us like a parallel to leg surface, you know. In reality I think in a pose like this his torso will be slanted at different angle to be this small comparing to his leg.
    The foreshortening of this arm far from us is way too extreme.This arm is too small and elbow is not being readable.
    His hands gesture is not very truthful. I wish you took a photo reference for yourself for this gesture.
    Composition is very good though and it is emotional image. I wish you made some other pose for the Tiamat, it's a bit stiff and passive.

Mr Blonde Dear Mr. I think you put too much value to textures and colors in your story telling and not enough to everything else, details, body language, good composition and face expressions. Especially composition is suffering in you picture in my opinion.
    I look trying to connect all objects together and create a story from it, but it is hard. I start looking at the strange creature in the middle of the page, but I don't get a lot from her character except interesting effect of disgusting moving tentacles and antennas and whitish eye and pale skin and tail of shrimp.
    Then I look at aiming warriors on my let ft and after that my eyes go to the back of the picture, to those moving worrisome lights and agitated crowd and I end up staring at them without any thought in my mind. Like I would stare at moving water or fire. Your picture does create mood. I see and feel it like strange chaotic evening, with silhouettes and their shadows moving around me in a disorganized motion and creating fear and longing and heavy feeling in my heart.
    But I have no idea what's going on around me.

I would prefer you not to divide your picture in strange hard to explain by lighting and composition sections. My brains don't accept sudden light evenly spread area in the center of the picture. It's like a silence in the middle of the story, I need to start it in a new place again, far from the center deprived of an information, This area is like a "static noise" for me.
    That's all.

Last edited by sve; February 19th, 2007 at 08:43 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Sve I can't thank you enough.. I feel like such a bastard, I am going to critique as many of the peices as my ability will allow tonight

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    1: My pick is... JLAlfaro- mostly because it is more complete.

JLAlfaro- I think the Red in yours is a bit too saturated, and doesn't effect the scene as much as it should. Persoanlly, what I think could have been done better with yours, is starting off with a was of red and orange and yellow, using the yellow on parts like the skin- then from there, build up the colors. This helps to unify a picture alot, and work out the color composition early. It seems like, with all your creatures the large ball of energy is the main lightsource, but at the same time, it isn't as intense as it should be- everyone looks as if they were just lit by a hallway light, when it looks more like they should have a very powerful flash casting shadows all over their face. For the mood of the sky and the darness of the bg, there is a bit too many visible elements. Don't be afraid to either show a bit more in the BBG or a bit more in the MiddleGround.
    -I do like her pose alot
    -The lightning orb comes across really well, just gotta get that lightning down
    -either minimalize or capitalize on the details in a scene.

Vorbiss-
    For what you got done, it looks really nice. I think one of the larger probolems you have is with anatomy and the edges, the concept is for the most part, really nice. It seems like where you added the highlights, there was a definitive lightsource, but for the regular graphite, it seems like you had no particualr lightsource in mind. Perhaps try to begin with drawing out flat shadows ar first, and really mold the figure. The anatomy problems extend pretty much only to the fact that the figure seems very flimsy, and the fact that the biceps are smaller than the fore-arm makes her seem ill-proportioned. The hand is really nice though! The only other thing I want to comment on is the serpent, I can tell it's a large bird, but there doesn't appear to be anything really god-like about it. Perhaps if you had it's extravagent head rearing in the background, or at least more festive decor on it's body such as tatoos (or scales), it would be more obvious.

Round 2: Sone_one

Senira;
    I'd suggest you start with a sort of wash over the whole thing to tone it a certain color.. It appears you started doing that, but it eventually got taken over by solid colors.
    I think you have a problem with lighting that I like to call "You know but you don't know", you know that light SHOULD be someplace in a general area, but you aren't quite sure how to apply it. All I can really suggest is to look at alot of movie stills and posters, do value studies/color studies of them, figure out how the lighting artists set things up... it will help immense amounts!

Sone;
    Really my only crit regards how un-extravagant he is, while he is very tall, he seems off balance and primitive, and his hammer is almost like a toy more than a weapon- granted it doesn't have to be too big, but I'd imagine something a bit larger than a fist. I also wish you would have at least gave him a face, but you rendered the abs really tightly. What made the difference for my vote was really the composition and execution. If it was on Idea alone, I probably would have gone with Senira.

Round 3; Xacto

Xacto;
    I can't really place what itis that is a turn-off about your piece, I think you could use some more contrast, and it bit more focus on the guy, the soldiers seem to sort of throw it off... I think this piece has potential to be much better, I think there are just really small changes that would really help the whole thing. The horses are nice, though the loose shading on the one on the right is too simple compared with the one on the left (which is really nice.)
    Hypocritcally, all I can say is invest a bit more time in some of the little things, and it will help the piece seem a bit more "pro" I suppose..

BlueMech;
    I think he could have looked slightly more egyptian if you had designs riddling his body, or even just a desert-ish bg with some pyramids in it. I thought it was an armadillo god when I first saw it... the soldiers poses though are very egyptian. The composition is boring too... And no offense, bu with crits I am keeping it short because it seems you put very little effort into this anyways.

Round 4; J a k e

Chaosrocks;
    There are a hefty amount of anatomy problems, I think the best part is the disembodied head. The rest seems to have a sort of ambiguous light source. The sky is red, but all the shadows are blue, which doesn't really make sens to me either. Again, what I would recommend (like I did with Senira and JLAlfaro) is begining with washes, defining some interest using temprature, then plotting shadows and highlights. My largest suggestion is using more reference for your figures.

Jake; Concept is one of the most brilliant. Your face rendering skills are the tops, but I think the BG blends a bit too much with his costume. Also his pose seems ill-proportioned, he seems taller and skinnier and less "pudgy" then a baby should be.. and not out of "stupidity" but just out of bodily structure. I like the brains, but the BG seems like it could have been handled better as well...

Round 5; Masque.

Masque;
    Very few crits; The dragon has underbite, the fire guy probably could have fit into the composition better, and i think the spear distracts a bit more than it leads. I hadn't even seen Fenrir until I read his name.

Resist; Failry simple, but it definitley feels egyptian. I don't exactrly understand what just happened the way you posed the 2 figures, if Horus was facing away from us, as if the 2 were in a joust, I think it would make more sense, but it seems like Set took his ass from behind or something. Also, Horus' legs are MISSINS!!!

Round 6; Mull77

Mull; Great colors, great intensity and effects with the hammer... I think poseidon's face is a bit undynamic shaped, very box-ish, inorganic (unlike water). Other than that... one of my favorites. Great scale, great detail, great action, great color great lighting.

Light; I don't really see the war happening here... Who is attacking who, it seems almost like the lower 2 are asking him a question. It could definitley use more contrast, and the perspective seems a bit off.

Round 7; This is a really tough match... I have to say Felicia, for the reasons listed below;

Felicia;
    I love most of this, but what won me over more than anything else was Thor's stance. It is simple a beautiful rendition, very commanding but very regal, balancing himself on the tree, on his throne where he strikes down Veles. Despite all the complexity, the horses and skeletons don't do much for me. I feel like the lighting could have added more to the scene than it did, and I wish the red hadn't been so completley concentrated like it is in the clouds, it is such a solid "black to red". One piece of advice Jason Manley gave regarding color theory was to introduce subtle but random hues into your piece, it will help the mood alot and create alot more visual interest.

rustikof-
    Great colors, great conception... great stile, I love almost everything about this. I have no crits, the only reason I picked Felicia was because hers had a bit more grandeur... But yours, I have zero crits on yours. Wonderful job.

Round 8: Joeslucher

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Those crits are much appreciated sve, and everyone else too, thanks!!!!!

Blog
    --------------------------------------------------------------
    *Help a CA artist! Visit the Constructive Critique section! *

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I appreciate the crits i got, thx guys & girls!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Sve

Thanks very much for the crit. Your points are dead on and I will take them into consideration in my next piece. Really a great crit!
    Thanks again people!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thank you Sve. I always look forward to your crits. I am planning on going back into my piece even if I do not make it to the next round.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thank you for the crits. I am definitely not finished with this one and I am going to get back to it eventually.

By the way the god on the tree is Perun not Thor.

How come there were no flying spaghetti monsters? I was going to pick him against all other modern gods but I didn't feel like rendering noodle flesh.
    Maybe later...

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey guys I should have the results up by tonight- the remaining judge can meet us on the second round. Im not gonna let this go on for ever, as in some other TDs. We got a second round to tend to. (well some of us)

JL

J.L. ALFARO

"Be who you are and say what you feel,because those that mind don't matter and those that matter don't mind."
    -Dr. Seuss

Page 8 of 11 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.