undead pegasus design

Join 500,000+ Artists

Its' free and it takes less than 10 seconds!

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

undead pegasus design

something i made awhile ago, would like some critiques, please don't steal my work.

thanks

full body
    undead pegasus design

detail 1
    undead pegasus design

detail 2
    undead pegasus design

more of my work at http://thetrieckel.deviantart.com/

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I'm willing to bet you've heard it already, but this is a great concept for a thestral

I know you are inventing a lot of anatomy for the sake of the character - using a lot of stringy tendons to being home the feel of pain and emaciation. I don't feel that it's working quite yet though - this is an equine creature and horses do have larger muscle masses as opposed to thin bundles of muscle. While I'm not saying you have to copy the anatomy exactly as you see it, I think you might want to use some larger shapes in some areas to up the believability on this creature.

undead pegasus design

The part that bothers me the most would be the sternum area on the horse. I had to look up some horse ref and couldn't find any frontal skeletal shots, but I wonder that the chest area would appear more sunken and hollow as opposed to studded with ribs, since the chest of a horse is rather open (and without a collar bone, as my research just told me! Who knew?).

I think that the seratus-looking muscles (aka the bandy ones) connecting into the front legs are unclear, because they're the same shape as the ribs in the chest area, so I am confused which is bone and which is sinew. I realize you are inventing anatomy for the sake of the character, but really that chest area just isn't doing it for me.

The face is quite nice though, the veins and smaller bits are really helping to draw attention to the head and create quite the gross-factor. Nice clouded pearl texture on the eye too - which is why I thought "thestral"

Hope that wasn't too long-winded!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Interesting, all i was going to say was that looks disturbingly freaky, cos it does, but boy do i have a lot to learn!

I feel guilty about commenting on this because im like new here and i don't wanna make it seem like im handing compliments or crits here and there just to gain notice, or to 'appear' intelligent.

But from what the other guy said i guess he's right, but it still is a nice looking image, and i think all the hints just point to making it better than it already is

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Steph Laberis
    I'm willing to bet you've heard it already, but this is a great concept for a thestral

I know you are inventing a lot of anatomy for the sake of the character - using a lot of stringy tendons to being home the feel of pain and emaciation. I don't feel that it's working quite yet though - this is an equine creature and horses do have larger muscle masses as opposed to thin bundles of muscle. While I'm not saying you have to copy the anatomy exactly as you see it, I think you might want to use some larger shapes in some areas to up the believability on this creature.

undead pegasus design

The part that bothers me the most would be the sternum area on the horse. I had to look up some horse ref and couldn't find any frontal skeletal shots, but I wonder that the chest area would appear more sunken and hollow as opposed to studded with ribs, since the chest of a horse is rather open (and without a collar bone, as my research just told me! Who knew?).

I think that the seratus-looking muscles (aka the bandy ones) connecting into the front legs are unclear, because they're the same shape as the ribs in the chest area, so I am confused which is bone and which is sinew. I realize you are inventing anatomy for the sake of the character, but really that chest area just isn't doing it for me.

The face is quite nice though, the veins and smaller bits are really helping to draw attention to the head and create quite the gross-factor. Nice clouded pearl texture on the eye too - which is why I thought "thestral"

Hope that wasn't too long-winded!

thank you for the crit, and yes, i used horse anatomy refs for some of this, though for the most part i was making a lot of the anatomy up as i went along and build in extra pieces here and there, like those in the sternum, that was all my creation, i think it adds a nice effect, though from the ref i found of the horses front and many other quadrapeds they have a floating rib plate ish thing in front and on the bottom...either way i made a lot of some of it up.

yes, i'm very proud of the face.

and yes, this was a school project i did, a kinda of mock concept design for a thestral.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,248 Times in 588 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    I'd age the wings or rot them I should say.
    It's the fleshy bits that go first, as you've shown with the face, so the wings would go as well.
    Ragged holes or strips of tatters however far you're willing to take it.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    You also might want to play with the light for the main of the horse. Flat black looks a little lame.

I think the problem with pen&ink is that there is no Ctrl+z command.

writers and artists have a lot in common -- we both draw from life, we both paint pictures, and we'll both spend to many sleepless nights on our work.

My (new) sketchbook: http://www.conceptart.org/forums/sho...d.php?t=100982

My (old) Sketchbook:http://conceptart.org/forums/showthread.php?t=88773

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Wow. That is a scary looking creature. I would not want to run into one of those.

Very nice. I'd love to see it set on a background with the moon and some moonlight highlights.

Robert Frost's Sketchbook

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    you really that worried about theft?
    Its anice drawing dont get me wrong
    and if its signed.....its finished, do you really want crits at this point?
    just curious

chaos

To see the world in a grain of sand, and a heaven in a wildflower, hold infinity in the palm of your hand, and eternity in an hour.

Sketch book

http://conceptart.org/forums/showthr...ight=chaos%27s

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    i always worry about thieves.
    though i can always welcome crits, no matter a signature or not.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    This is sufficiently creepy and the mane is a really nice touch, but I'm with chaos: the signature is detracting from the piece.

This really makes me want to see Steph do some My Little Undead Ponies®.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I think after all the anatomy research work you've done on the body, the plain swoopy lines on the wings weaken the piece. They may be the way people usually draw bat wings (just like a green circle on a brown stick is the usual tree) but a bat wing is actually an elongated hand, with multiple bones just like our own. They even have knuckles!

Attached Images Attached Images  

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.