Figure Study and Cyber Girl (Need Crits)

View testimonialsView Artwork
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following

So, I have here a brief anatomy study and a spacey cybergoth chick with no pupils... or irises. I know I need to take life drawing, but I've yet to find a class offering it at my university, so I'm doing my best with the references (myself, most often) that I have. Any pointers would be great, especially with the figure sketch.

I have this terrible fear of drawing toes... aside from drawing pages worth of them, any suggestions on ways to overcome this? (Sorry for the reload, apparently Photobucket has a fear of nipples on public accounts :/. God forbid.)
    ----------------------------------------------

I do apologise for the terrible lineart on this following piece, I'm breaking in a new set of pens.

Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by RavenScarlett; February 27th, 2007 at 10:29 PM.
    ...Ask yourself, if I asked you straight off- I'm going to stuff you in this box now, would you rather be alive or dead? Naturally, you'd prefer to be alive. Life in a box is better than no life at all. I expect. You'd have a chance at least. You could could lie there thinking- well, at least I'm not dead!
    -Rosencrantz, Rosencrantz & Guildenstern Are Dead
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I think the Sketches & WIP forum is the appropriate place for this, so I moved the thread for you.

Quote Originally Posted by RavenScarlett
    I have this terrible fear of drawing toes... aside from drawing pages worth of them, any suggestions on ways to overcome this?
    Heh, I find this comment funny. Practice is really the only way to get better. Imagine if you drew pages of toes, you would never be afraid to draw them again!
    And you like drawing, right? So what would be so terrible about spending lots of time drawing something?
    The only other suggestion I have is to look at some drawing anatomy books. They might give you some hints on how to break the toes down into easily manageable shapes.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks, I never remember where I should post this stuff.
    Quote Originally Posted by emily g
    I have this terrible fear of drawing toes... aside from drawing pages worth of them, any suggestions on ways to overcome this?
    Heh, I find this comment funny. Practice is really the only way to get better. Imagine if you drew pages of toes, you would never be afraid to draw them again!
    I had said that because I've drawn pages worth over the years and still haven't progressed beyond the, "Augh, they look hideous" stage. I suppose I'll have to plug along with that.

Last edited by RavenScarlett; February 6th, 2007 at 09:34 PM.
    ...Ask yourself, if I asked you straight off- I'm going to stuff you in this box now, would you rather be alive or dead? Naturally, you'd prefer to be alive. Life in a box is better than no life at all. I expect. You'd have a chance at least. You could could lie there thinking- well, at least I'm not dead!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Alrighty, here's a quick update on the figure sketch, now with a face and toes. I just now realised that her right knee is very bothersome, so I'll be repairing that and the guidelines will be removed once I'm ready to finalise the piece.

And here's a brief colour update. Her lips really bother me, but I really can't think of a colour that would work as far as lipstick is concerned. Oosh, I need to start colouring things again XD.

Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by RavenScarlett; February 27th, 2007 at 10:29 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Thumbs up Re: Figure drawing help / suggestions

Quote Originally Posted by emily g
    [ .. ]The only other suggestion I have is to look at some drawing anatomy books. They might give you some hints on how to break the toes down into easily manageable shapes.
    @RavenScarlett: In addition to this advice, I would like to suggest gettin' more reference material.

If you need nudes to work from, you can look up 'nudes' or softcore erotica. If you're uncomfortable with such material. Try and find good pictures of contemporary dancers or ballet-dancers. The usually have well ballanced bodies. Usually don't wear to many clothes, so it's easy to detect the bodylines and curves.

As far as toes go, ... if you have a digital camera of if you can borrow one; you could take pics of your own or anyone who will model for you. Every angle possible and print them out. Get yourself a reasonable ammount of tracing paper and start tracing!

Once you get a feel of how lines flow, and how they are proportioned to one another. You can try and draw them on your own. Same trick I used when I was learning figure drawing. I traced catalogue models, dancers, athletics, and figure sculptures from Rodin out of artbooks.

Hope it helps. Keep goin' persistance is key!

Don't like what I wrote?!? BITE me! But BEWARE I sting!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Wasp_One
    @RavenScarlett: Get yourself a reasonable ammount of tracing paper and start tracing!

Once you get a feel of how lines flow, and how they are proportioned to one another. You can try and draw them on your own. Same trick I used when I was learning figure drawing. I traced catalogue models, dancers, athletics, and figure sculptures from Rodin out of artbooks.
    Oh wow, that idea never once occured to me, and it's a great one. I haven't used my tracing paper or tracing board in a very long time that I'd forgotten about them! I think that should actually be very helpful, thank you so much!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    If you need figure reference, a great place to look, even though it can be time consuming, is deviantart.com's stock images. Look under full body and you can usually find some people who have large galleries of stock art that makes great figure reference.
    As for the image itself, I think this is a pretty great start. Nothing is disproprotionate and I admit I have the same fear of toes. The angle of her head though does look a little awkward.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    @glitteranddoom: That would be a good idea. It's funny, though I've been on that site for about four years, I never really made use of their resources.

Quote Originally Posted by glitteranddoom
    The angle of her head though does look a little awkward.
    For the alien, or the figure sketch?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

For the alien, or the figure sketch?
    I guess the Alien? Its the girl with the long hair and the fuzzy boots.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Yeah, that would be the alien. Would the angle problem have anything to do with how stiff her neck looks in relation to the tilt of the head?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    To me it seems like the tilt of the head isn't going with the neck. And yes I guess you could thats the stiffness of the neck.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Yeah, I was afraid of that. I'm still experimenting with new poses to try and make my lines flow more; my art's always been so darn stiff. Thanks for the help, and if you've spotted anything else, please let me know.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Nice cyber chick dude. The colour of the shirt seems abit off compared to the rest of the picture.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thank you.

Quote Originally Posted by Taiylz
    The colour of the shirt seems abit off compared to the rest of the picture.
    Can you be a little more specific on that, please? Which shirt, the green or white one? If it's the green, is it because of the flat colour, or colour choice in general? Sorry if that sounds snappy, I don't know how else to word it .

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    The green shirt on the alien girl looks a bit off because there are hardly any shadows on it, especially compared to the shadows and highlights found on the girl's body and other clothing; it makes the shirt look very flat. I think the color itself works well.

"You there! Cake or death?"

Skunk's Sketches

Skunk's Pimpage

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Skunkitorium
    The green shirt on the alien girl looks a bit off because there are hardly any shadows on it, especially compared to the shadows and highlights found on the girl's body and other clothing; it makes the shirt look very flat. I think the color itself works well.
    Ah, that's because it is a flat, I haven't shaded it just yet.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Comments on the cyber punk....

hey there..nice rendering in black n white....I liked the character a lot..cool attitude..somehow the colouring was not so appealing to me...but good job...cheers

www.animodrome.blogspot.com

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.