Sketchbook: C.Revolver-My cold hard revolver. 2/14/06 Element.

Join 500,000+ Artists

Its' free and it takes less than 10 seconds!

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

C.Revolver-My cold hard revolver. 2/14/06 Element.

Hello, My professor recommended this site to me over DA, I must agree. From what I have seen this is a community where everyone helps each other out, and so I ask for your help to improve my line work and other various techniques such as digital paint. I started drawing about a year ago but I just started to become more serious about my work. I am currently in school for a bachelors in game art and design, I have decided to pursue a career in character design/concept art and textures for games and movies.

Anyways I am sincerely hoping for some Critique from all or any of my fellow artists here on CA.Org. I also hope to make alot of friends here, so feel free to send me a pm sometime. No worries I plan on improving alot this year so enjoy what I have now. Thanks! (by the way I realy like my pencils)

1st: Life drawing, My first drawing was tilted so I tried again and I believe I nailed it.

2nd: Just a skull study I had alot more but im trying to find them haha. Thanks for looking, im going to shoot for a few sketches a day!

Attached Images Attached Images    
    Last edited by Cold Revolver; February 15th, 2007 at 02:02 AM.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    welcome bruv welcome!
    good idea to join up here. the first thing i noticed was the rather thick outline
    on the images, this can flatten shapes and in turn detract from the volume and depth (especially important in character design) so maybe try defining shapes with tone more than line? ofcourse the outline thing can work for ya, but you still need that tonal build up in there..
    the perspective on the skull looks a little off also, i HIGHLY recommend bridgeman, hogarth and loomis to help you here

keep em coming my friend. please keep em coming, its great to have more people to share ideas with.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    The lifestudies are pretty good. Wondering which one is the finished piece. And the skull looks great. Keepem coming.

"Imagination is more important than knowledge"- Albert Einstein

Eric wants to LEARN! Sketchbook

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Don-Key, Yeah your right about the line weight of cource and I apreciate your sugestions, I realy do. I hope you continue to watch my sketch book.

Envisor, The first one to your left is the one I redrawn, Thanks for your stopping by, I hope you also continue to watch my sketchbook.

I will have an update this evening, im now starting my morning drawing session. Stay tuned.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    As Don-Key said, Bridgeman, Hogarth and Loomis is highly recommended. Personally I like Loomis' books.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Zombie_dla
    As Don-Key said, Bridgeman, Hogarth and Loomis is highly recommended. Personally I like Loomis' books.
    Get both Hogarth and Loomis and start having fun!!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    lol

Zombie_dla and Ashrumm I thank you both for your Encouragement But I already have Burne hogarth dynamic anatomy and Giovani Civardi, as well as others. I Hope you all continue to watch my skill grow, Thank you all.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Sorry about the book-bombardment then Hope you'll post often!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Then you only need to get loomis books, you can download them from the net since they are so old, but soo good too. There are also a couple of books i can recommend you to download, wich are Harold Speed book, Theory and practice of perspecrive, and Pen drawing an illutrated teatrise, those are the ones i have or am reading and can say are good, im sure there are more, and dont forget to see the wiki to get tutorials and other things, good luck!

Some links to get books here:
    http://www.gutenberg.org/etext/14264
    http://onlinebooks.library.upenn.edu...pe=lccn&key=NC

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    A quick sketch for today, I did alot more but I was not confident in my line work but ill post the rest tomorrow. I like this pirate dude haha! Monday I plan dumping alot more work here because over the weekend I plan on drawing tons. Hopefully..

Thanks for stopping by everyone!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Here is my sketch today, I will try to do another one tonight after class. I am hopeing that someone will critique this for improvment. Anyways Hope you like this character. Those stilettos were a pain, I think Aly Fell does them the best, surely better than me lol, anyone know his user name here? Thanks.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Your confusing yourself with over complicated poses and camera angles, stop that. For the beginning, if your learning the anatomy make sure ur breaking down the body pieces in a flat front view, no fancy stuff. Side view aswell. Start with the whole body, then work with different limbs at a time. This should help you later when adding complicated camera anlges.

This will give you better oriantation of body parts when adding movement and camera angle to your figure.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Cold
    Your confusing yourself with over complicated poses and camera angles, stop that. For the beginning, if your learning the anatomy make sure ur breaking down the body pieces in a flat front view, no fancy stuff. Side view aswell. Start with the whole body, then work with different limbs at a time. This should help you later when adding complicated camera anlges.

This will give you better oriantation of body parts when adding movement and camera angle to your figure.

Thanks Cold I will take your superb critique to heart and try it your way. I dont understand what you mean about doing the figrue in those 2 views however, could you explain a bit more on that? Much apreciated, I hope others will give me feedback as well.

-Revolver

Please view and critique my...
    SketchBook

Creed-Never die.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I guess I'll comment on the recent stuff.
    I really like the pirate, it's got a lot of attitude and personality. It might help to kind of visualize the position of the features on the face through using guiding lines sometime, just to get them all on the same plane of hte face if you will. I do it all the time, it's a real help for me.

I like the cool blues of the stilletto chick. They are pretty much the most awkward things to draw...they've got to be the most awkward things to wear too. I think you executed it pretty well though. Make sure to include signs of the form receding into space since she's bent over like that, either through shading or whatever. Even just showing the edge of the bust would help it, it seems to be just a flat surface as is right now.

Keep up the great work! And keep up the regular posting. Rock on buddy, thanks for the comments.

Ars longa, vita brevis.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    We both have the same difficulties, anatomy, proportion. We should get started with simple forms, and compotion, i for instant have a real problem with mixing colour, draw more : ) thanks for the welcome, hope to see more from you

http://www.conceptart.org/forums/sho...=1#post1208564

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Doing good man. Cold is right, your confusing your self. Start the way he said it and then after a while of that, you can move to more difficult poses. I still need to do that as well. Well keep up the good fight.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    a really great start
    i agree on almost everything that has been said here before
    just keep drawing, drawing drawing!

keep it up, cheers

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Just practice realy, with the figure I tried moving around limbs in perspective as seen with the arm, I used myself as refference but I still believe it needs work, I will work hard at it. Cold told me to do this so its what im starting with but thats not to say im going to give up extreme poses.

Bootcamp-v001. My learning experience will be a difficult journey but ill fight through it all. I have some skill but I crave for more!

SketchBook

Creed-Never die.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    These construction steps are really good. Ive been studying Kevin Chens figure work, he used to teach the stuff in California, and now he is working in games. Hes an awesome artist. Check him out at the link below.

Kevin Chen Tutorials
    http://www.characterdesigns.com/inde...page=tutorials

Hope it helps out, hes one of my favorite artists.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Envisor
    These construction steps are really good. Ive been studying Kevin Chens figure work, he used to teach the stuff in California, and now he is working in games. Hes an awesome artist. Check him out at the link below.

Kevin Chen Tutorials
    http://www.characterdesigns.com/inde...page=tutorials

Hope it helps out, hes one of my favorite artists.

Yeah thanks, I visit that site often for there photo sets and other stuff. Its a good site to visit every so often but i found if you always draw or paint from refference you can develope an unwanted large wall around your skills, meaning it deprives you of your own imagination, Its ok sometimes but not all that time.

SketchBook

Creed-Never die.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hi, Cold Revolver:

It's great to see that you're going back to the basics.

The female sketch is your most successful one. The figure has a solid quality to it due to your use of cylinders to define the limbs. Whereas the blue male figure is very flat in comparison.

Keep going!

j.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    More Bootcamp! Some of these were hogarth studies.

Bootcamp-V.002.

Jammerstein Echo- Thanks man I realy apreciate your comments, I hope more artists like you will comment, so I can imrpove and grow as an artist.

-Revolver

SketchBook

Creed-Never die.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    No problem, Revolver. We're all here to learn and help each other.

I like what you've done with the figure on the left. It has a nice flow and a confident line. This is what you should be shooting for in all your sketches.

Good work.

j.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks man, wish others would help me out more. expect more updates soon, I just seen ghost rider and it was faaantastic, Cannot wait till the Ironman movie!!!

-Revolver

SketchBook

Creed-Never die.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    i have to agree with Jamerstein- The figure on the left has a real nice flow to it. Im liking that your using simple shapes and lines to start your figures. You should try this site. It may be manga but it has some really good tutorials on constructing the human figure.
    http://polykarbon.com/

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    looks great
    keep up ur anatomy studies
    try to simplifie the forms ( cubes n cylinders) - draw poses from diffrent angles*views - helps to understand their masses/volumes

post more !

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey man, I like the new studies, it's looking good. Keep working with the forms for the bodies. Cylinders and blocks aren't just for making a body shape, they're to help you see what you're drawing as a form, it has volume, it occupies space. Keep up the work and like Jammerstein said, keep concentrating on that flow of motion, it'll really help strengthen your poses.
    great work.
    exo.

Ars longa, vita brevis.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    hey brutha sorry i take ages to get around
    good work on the anatomy studies my man keep at it!
    keep an eye on proportion, dont go into hard dark lines until your are 100%
    satisfied with your initial layout. what you are doing is exactly what you should be doing. and i see improvement already.
    try to get the lines flowing by drawing from your elbow, this will give you strong confident strokes and help define the figure with minimal linework.
    keep at it dude your going strong.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Envisor: Thanks man, I apreciate your comments.

Sideshowbob: Thanks for your comment as well, Yeah I enjoy using cylinders but my instructor tells me not to make them so simple anymore, instead learn muscle shapes and adpat my cylinders to fit those shapes. kill 2 birds with 1 stone method haha.

Exocentric: Thanks! I do not yet know what you mean by flow of action? Is that like line of action? Anyways thanks for your hardy comments and crits.

Don-Key: lol Yeah its good to hear from ya again, thought you had given up on me! Thanks for your crits man and I do hope you continue to educate me.

I am currently out of town but I have been drawing, I will post more when I get back, im kinda mad because I just started the sketchbook not to long ago but No worries ill continue to draw and post here, haha bet you all thought I was dead. Anyways thanks everyone, Your guys are great!

-Revolver

SketchBook

Creed-Never die.

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.