Art: ++ ./ Tarot of the Damned - The Fool (updated 2.12) /. ++
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

++ ./ Tarot of the Damned - The Fool (updated 2.12) /. ++

Finished up one of my concepts as a test. This isn't necessarily the final, just a good benchmark for me to follow while working on the set. I'm actually thinking about doing some move special effects around the chest hole, but we'll see what happens : )

I have added a few new concepts to the sketch thread as well.
    http://www.conceptart.org/forums/showthread.php?t=88404

New Version

Original Crappy version

Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by se7en_; February 12th, 2007 at 08:13 AM.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Almost 200 views and no comments. I can't believe its that disturbing so is it really that bad? ; )

Anyone, feedback?

vigostar is offline Registered User Level 16 Gladiator: Spartacus' Retiarii
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    whats up Seven.... Pretty interesting piece you have here but, this one like some of your others it seems like your trying to throw in elements because you feel they should fit. For instance why ZERO? I personally do not see the connection there. The FOOL we can hypothesize about why you would add a word like that.. The other thing that bothers me is the placement of the figure in comparision to the dove.. The dove is a straight on shot yet the figure with the open heart wound (which is very cool btw) doesnt seem to be in unison. Actually everything but the figure works in this image. I would have loved for you to use some ref. for the figure to get that anatomy down properly... then you have that black void on the bottom center right.. Too much black there.. You have a river/ pond/ body of water in the BG which you could have used to your advantage in making some really nice reflective lighting on the water and create a better sense of scale and sense of space.. I think the body floating in the water would have been much more interesting but, you dont get that feel with the way you have it now... anyway.. I figured you wanted a crit.. Sorry its so harsh.. Hope your doing well man... Keep on grinding it out... Be well..

Mainloop- man i must be dyslexic.. cuz i thought you asked how many people are on lsd

SketchBook
    http://www.conceptart.org/forums/sho...d.php?t=237554

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Some quick feedback... overall, keep going man. You will learn tons by doing more finished pieces like this.

- Compositionally... try playing around more. It's very centered right now... the heart & dove. Moving them around could injet some movement/energy.
    - Your shapes are reading flat, so flip this canvas... draw thru the shapes and definitely use some reference to aid you.
    - The head is small, might want to size that up.
    - If you can, try to avoid straight blacks & whites.
    - Finally, the ring on the guys lower chest is constantly catching my eye. It has the highest amount of sharpness and contrast. I would hose that element unless it's vitally important for the piece. If you want to keep it, blur it or make it dull.

Official website-
    www.JasonFelix.com
    Jason Felix's Blog-
    Monstergalleria.blogspot.com

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    wtf... I just posted a huge responde and it disappeared and dropped me back to the index : (

Oh, well... long story short. Trashed the old one and started over. I am MUCH happier with this...

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    me like, really cool, its nice to see the before/after effect, good job on the improvement

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hi there,

Don't get down, dude. I love the last image, it's really emotional and pretty.
    I especially like that distorted look, maybe you could push that even more.

Keep the good mood, mate!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Lotet - thanks! I now know the secret... whenever I think something is finished, start over and put in the exact same amount of time : )

Chup - Haha, I'm not down now. When an image is successful (in my own humble opinion) is like a drug. Pushes me. Temps me.

Thanks btw. Not sure what you mean by "the distrorted look" but I have 21 more cards to do. I don't think I cant stay on this one any longer.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    'Death' is always the most interesting card

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Yeah, we'll see... I think I'm going to paint Temperance next and then Death.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey fellow nutmegger,
    Great piece in terms of diabolial mood and trying
    to evoke a sense of pathos for this character.
    His heart leading the way instead of his mind, and ignorance being bliss.
    Just my opinion but have to echo vigo up there..he figure is the core of this composition and if it's less than convincing then it's going to bring the whole pic down.
    If you have the time and inclination...perhaps stripping this all back down to the figure, making sure that foundation is solid would serve you better than to try and fix at this point and simply create a whole new set of problems for yourself.
    I bloody envy your graphic design skills
    Keep your chin up man on the views vs. comments.
    And can't wait to see what else you've got coming down the pike.
    Cheers!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    My only critique is for you to reference some heart anatomy. That's my only little nit-picky thing.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey Helzon where in our tiny ass little state do you hail from? I'm in Kent which makes tiny a huge understatement : )

You are the first one to actually pick up the concept of leading with the heart and the face covered to see that he is not using logic, just feeling. How very intuitive of you ; ) As far as anatomy I did completely redo the figure and I believe that most of the problems are fixed on the new version. I can only see one problem, the side of the chest muscle facing us shouldn't have so much overhang. Less shadow there so it looks tighter maybe. I am not great at seeing proportion and perspective in my own images for some reason. I guess that's what I sacrifice for my design skills - I had to make a deal with the Devil to get them : p

GatorKyle - It was painted directly next a photo of an actual human heart on the canvas. I guess I don't see the problem. But, thanks I guess...

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.