Painter X Has Landed!

View testimonialsView Artwork
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Painter X Has Landed!

I have some exciting news on the Painter front:

Painter has reached ten—version 10, that is. Officially known as Corel Painter X, this edition continues to innovate with ground-breaking features. I’ve always enjoyed the point in software development when all of the elements—the features, packaging, advertising layouts, and all of the associated details—finally come together. What was several related concepts congeals —the whole is greater than the sum of its parts. Painter X is such a release. Painter was founded on the principle of faithfully capturing the artist’s gesture for the purpose of creative expression. Painter X is no exception to the rule.

Painter X Has Landed!

The new RealBristle Painting System represents a significant evolution in digital paint tools. RealBristle brushes deftly respond to the subtle nuances of the hand, translating this motion into strokes imbued with complex expression. The result are the most realistic digital brush strokes ever seen. Add a Wacom 6D Pen and the results are further enhanced.

Painter began its life primarily known a start-with-a-blank-canvas artist’s tool. In the intervening years, digital technology has engulfed traditional film-based cameras. The digital camera is now ubiquitous to the point of being an accessory on mobile phones. Likewise, Painter has become an accessory to digital cameras. With these two mediums converged, you can now easily dip your paintbrush into a photograph.

Painter X Has Landed!
    Original Photograph ©Dustine Wallace

Painter X Has Landed!
    Auto-painting using Smart Strokes

Using a photograph as a source image, the enhanced Photo Painting System produces convincing hand-painted results with a single mouse click. This feat is made possible by the Smart Stroke Painting option. Initially analyzing the source image’s content, Smart Strokes dynamically change brush size, stroke length, and pressure based on the detail and focal areas of the original photo. Strokes intelligently follow the forms of the original subject matter. All of this translates into an amazing breakthrough enabling the drawing-challenged to produce remarkable finished art. Smart Stroke Painting is going to be an out-of-the-park homerun for photographers!

Painter X Has Landed!
    100% Detail

In the past, an artist had to pre-mix his color palette to match the painting’s subject matter. Both Painter X’s Match Palette effect and Color Schemes (Underpainting palette) provide the ability to apply another image’s color palette to an existing image. The effect can be deftly subtle—matching the color and tonality of one photograph to another, for example. Or creatively dramatic—applying the palette of Picasso’s Three Musicians to a painting in progress, for example. Try that with traditional tools!

Every time new features are added to Painter, its interface grows. Users, take heart! The new Workspace Manager provides a complete solution for organizing and saving palette, brush, and library visibility. For example, you can now decide which variants you want accessible in each Brush Category, turning off the unused ones in the Workspace Manager (you can turn them back on at any time). Multiple Workspaces can be saved for streamlined workflow depending on the task at hand.

More importantly, saved Workspaces are encapsulated into a single portable file that is easily shared with others—perfect for placing one Workspace with its brushes into many hands. Speaking as an educator, this feature alone makes Painter X worth its weight in gold for teaching workshops.

Both Windows and Mac users have cause for celebration. On the Windows front, Painter X is compatible with Windows Vista™. And on the Mac, Painter is now a Universal Binary, enabling it to run natively on both Intel- and PowerPC-based systems.

Beyond the big features, it is the attention to small details that makes Painter X shine. An Auto-Backup feature, session-independent Color Management, Tracker settings that stay put. Little things, but they add up.

I advise you to now get yourself into a seated position. The printed User Guide has returned! What’s next…a paint can? That’s right, Painter X acknowledges its roots through the offer of a limited edition one-gallon paint can. Both the retail packaging and limited edition include an updated Welcome book showcasing Painter art, poster, and a cool compositional aid.

Painter X Has Landed!
    Corel Painter X Limited Edition paint can

It may sound cliché, but this is the best version of Painter ever. Corel has paid a great deal of attention to user requests, as well as the small details that add up to a well-oiled creative expressive machine. Painter’s not getting older—it’s getting better!

Download the free Corel PainterX trial here.

Looking for the best-of-breed in visually expressive software? X marks the spot!

Viva la Painter X!

-john

Last edited by pixlart; February 6th, 2007 at 10:04 AM.
    John Derry
    -----------------------------------------------------------
    Pixels—It's all in how you arrange them!
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Congratulations on the release. The new brushes are a lot of fun and the composition tools are really amazing.

Last edited by rogfa; February 6th, 2007 at 06:17 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hi Folks,

As you can see from John's images, artwork by ConceptArt.org's co-founder Andrew Jones was selected for the cover of the Corel Painter X box. John also mentioned that Painter was founded on the notion of faithfully capturing the artist's gesture for the purpose of creative expression - something that Andrew's painting clearly demonstrates!

The creative endeavors of Andrew Jones have no doubt inspired each and every one of us here at ConceptArt.org and we are honored to be able to share his art with Painter Artists all over the world.

For those of you who attended Andrew's session on composition at the Prague Workshop, it might be interesting for you to know that it was there that the birth of the new composition tools began!

Finally, John Derry's post included an image of the Limited Edition Painter Can. The art that graces its cover belongs to Phil Straub, another great inspiration for us!

On the reverse side of both the box and the Limited Edition Painter Can, you'll find art by small selection of the great modern masters including Ryan Church, Dan Milligan, Cher Threinen-Pendarvis, Gitanjali Rao, Jeremy Sutton, Erik Holmen, Greg Banning, Daniel Conway and Heather Michelle Bjoershol. Every one of them are talented beyond imagination, not to mention incredible people to work with.

I hope you all enjoy the cool new stuff and all of the great improvements that came directly from the Painter community!

Happy Painting!

Rick Champagne
    Product Manager, Corel Painter
    Corel Corporation
    rick.champagne@corel.com

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Thumbs down

-Still the same dreadful interface?

-Now that the 9 finger hand is gone we get an Adobe Photoshop CS logo rip-off.

-The black triangle still missing the white dot indicating the brush tip, it was present in Painter 6 but Corel remove it.

-(Digital) Watercolor still has the hue bug I guess Corel gave up on this engine since there's no change for the good or for the worse.

-Still no anti-aliasing rotation and zoom but doesn't seem that bad in Painter X, not as good as Photoshop or SAI but a major improvement compared to earlier versions and is very much usable.

-The realbristle brush is pretty nice and it may very be the only reason anyone would want to upgrade.

-The software is still very buggy and unpractical.

It may sound cliché, but this is the best version of Painter ever. Corel has paid a great deal of attention to user requests, as well as the small details that add up to a well-oiled creative expressive machine. Painter’s not getting older—it’s getting better!
    No it's not the best Painter ever, the best is still Painter 6(.01) and no Corel does not listen to user requests if they did we wouldn't have the same interface, I've seen freeware programs with better UI than Corel Painter (7 thru 10) Painter 6 had the perfect interface just needs a little update.

This release is more Painter IX.6 than X.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Portus
    -The software is still very buggy and unpractical.
    Well, I don't know if I'd go that far, but the Mac version crashed on me twice right away.

Is this thing tied to a specific hardware ID? I almost bought it today from within the demo and some number popped up and I immediatly questioned whether this was the machine I ultimatly want the software to reside on. If it's a HW lock, I want to know before I buy it.

I could just buy the DVD version too and wait for it to arrive. That will give me time to consider my portable machine so I can take it home or my Mac Pro solely for while at work.

Last edited by John the Artist; February 6th, 2007 at 08:22 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I purchased painter 9.5 as a christmas present to myself. And now they launch 10. I would have waited a 40 days if I would have known Anyone know if they will spot upgrades to people who have owned the software less then 2 months?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I'm loving it so far. Can't wait to buy it. There is still a few minor bugs, but I'm guessing they'll release a quick fix patch soonish ? Hasn't crashed on me or anything though.

Back to painting.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    hmm... the brushes aren't quite that fast. And I don't understand how I'm supposed to control the angle of those flat real bristle brushes.
    But other than that it looks nice. I don't think I will upgrade though unless those realbristles prove as a valuable paintingtool.

▄▀▄▀▄▀■ - GORILLA ARTFARE - ■▀▄▀▄▀▄

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Universal binary finally. Now where's my credit card? Nice work folks.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    <start rant>

So I spoke with corel support. If you purchased the software within 30 days they will spot you the upgrade. But as I purchased 39 days ago...too bad. This is extremely lame. If I would have known that the new version was hitting shelves so soon I would have waited. Some product development updates would be nice. The customer rep on the phone said that they usually don't even know till the software is released. Said I can purchase for upgrade price which means I would have dropped almost $700 in the just over a month for software that costs $430 new. Crappy crappy deal.

Atleast Adobe releases beta's and gives time tables for when they think software will be released.

</end rant>

*edit UPDATE*

Called Corel today still annoyed and unsatisfied about the situation. They offered me a "tech" upgrade for $50. They said I can not have the manuel but they will provide me one on disc. Seemed absurd but I took the offer. Should have my new Painter in a week or so.

Last edited by inkdrop; February 8th, 2007 at 04:04 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    - Mixer palette still isn't resizeable (and don't tell me it is impossible to implement),

- Why no linux version? Mac OS X is unix-based, so it's not so hard to port it to linux.

- All that photo --> painting tools... we can transform photo into painting and call it art. Great.

RealBristle and Workspace Manager are cool features, but in my opinion it's not enough for new version. Maybe for IX.6, but not for X. I'll stay with IX.5.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by koala.one
    I'm loving it so far. Can't wait to buy it. There is still a few minor bugs, but I'm guessing they'll release a quick fix patch soonish ? Hasn't crashed on me or anything though.

Back to painting.
    Sure but that makes us all beta testers don't it? But then Corel has done that in the past. Do service bureaus still charge extra for CorelDraw files?

In the constellation of Cygnus, there lurks a mysterious invisable force.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Bleh, all software has bugs.

But I'll probably wait till X.5 hits, as I'm still learning 9.5

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    So I DL'd and played with it.

Wow, it is faster. Working on large canvases with reasonable brush sizes was problematic for any of the brushes that used rendered features. Definitely faster.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Linux...

Quote Originally Posted by aspenboy
    Why no linux version? Mac OS X is unix-based, so it's not so hard to port it to linux.
    With all due respect, you don't know what you are talking about. Yes, MacOSX is Unix-based, and Linux is a "Unix-like" OS. But Linux has no Graphical User Interface. You have to use Gnome or KDE or something like that. And let me tell you, the way you program for those GUIs is very, very different than what you do for MacOSX and Windows. It would be a completely new program.

Have you even seen one program that supports the Wacom tablet in Linux? (I'm curious, I don't actually know the answer...)

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

- All that photo --> painting tools... we can transform photo into painting and call it art. Great.
    Hohoho! I agree with you. I hate that feature. Ugh. Probably a marketing ploy
    to appeal to the masses.

And I feel sorry for ya inkdrop, damn, the newer version has a pretty can! But then again Im sure IX.5 is much more stable. Downloading the trial version now.

I cant wait for Artrage to evolve and become a Painter Killer.

EDIT: Aaaagh! It still has that POOF bug when using the freeform lasso tool! WTF!

Last edited by Valiance; February 8th, 2007 at 09:52 AM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Zaknafain
    And I don't understand how I'm supposed to control the angle of those flat real bristle brushes.
    The angle of those brushes is controlled by the barrel rotation of the Wacom 6D Art Pen. There is no other way to change it for now.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Philippe
    With all due respect, you don't know what you are talking about. Yes, MacOSX is Unix-based, and Linux is a "Unix-like" OS. But Linux has no Graphical User Interface. You have to use Gnome or KDE or something like that. And let me tell you, the way you program for those GUIs is very, very different than what you do for MacOSX and Windows. It would be a completely new program.
    OK, I can't argue with You, as I'm not a developer. But I believe that it is possible.

Quote Originally Posted by Philippe
    Have you even seen one program that supports the Wacom tablet in Linux? (I'm curious, I don't actually know the answer...)
    Yes, GIMP supports Wacom tablet very well. However, it has simple brush engine (closer to old photoshop versions below 7).

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Linux

OK, I can't argue with You, as I'm not a developer. But I believe that it is possible.
    Of course it is possible. I'm not saying that it is not. I'm saying that it would not be easy, and that it would be expensive. And it's likely that the return on investment would not justify a Linux version.

Yes, GIMP supports Wacom tablet very well. However, it has simple brush engine (closer to old photoshop versions below 7).
    Cool! I didn't know that. I have GIMP on MacOSX, but it never occurred to me to check its tablet support.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Interesting decision to release an upgrade, virtually no new features to report and most of the new code is a result of pressure being applied by Apple and Microsoft releasing new products... Refining only one signifigant existing feature isn't enough to earn my dollar -- everything else that was meaningfull in this update was really a "fix" and therfore falls under the heading of a free upgrade.

Software companies have gotten so greedy in recent years...

BTW the emphasis on digital photography isn't going to impress artists and shutterbugs are already content with photoshop -- whoever is running your marketing is barking up the wrong tree... a better approach would be to focus your efforts on improving color correcting features and sell the product as a REAL digital art production stand-alone -- as apposed to the photoshop compromise most artists are forced to make.

Best,
    Jason.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Yeah, it is snappier, and it does have a few new features. But I don't know that I would run out and buy it. Being able to better customize the UI is a nice update, but it's not gee-whiz.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I'm enjoying the new features. I really like the composition tools. I brought in some of my older work and played around with them. One thing I wish they implemented was to be able to resize the color mixer. It's such a great feature of painter's but it so small.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by jason_maranto
    Interesting decision to release an upgrade, virtually no new features to report [...]
    Huh? RealBristle is a new feature, as much as Artists' Oils was for Painter IX. The Workspace manager is a great addition: customize your UI and share the customization! The SmartStroke/Palette matching you may not use, but lots of people do.

The Enhanced Brush Ghost is something users wanted for years ("Where does my ghost outline go when I start to paint? Why doesn't it rotate when I turn my pen?" etc...).

There are a lot of bug fixes and little enhancements as well, but those by themselves don't justify a paid upgrade.

[...] most of the new code is a result of pressure being applied by Apple and Microsoft releasing new products [...]
    Are you saying that Corel should just let go? Not take advantage of new products like MacIntel and Vista? Releasing code tuned to these OSes takes time and money.

everything else that was meaningfull in this update was really a "fix" and therfore falls under the heading of a free upgrade.

Software companies have gotten so greedy in recent years...
    You are entitled to your opinion, but should software developers work for free? Or would you rather Corel lays off all their developers and coasts on sales of an increasingly-dated product for years?

BTW the emphasis on digital photography isn't going to impress artists and shutterbugs are already content with photoshop -- whoever is running your marketing is barking up the wrong tree... a better approach would be to focus your efforts on improving color correcting features and sell the product as a REAL digital art production stand-alone -- as apposed to the photoshop compromise most artists are forced to make.
    Again, your opinion, and I respect that. But unless you have market research to back that up (and the plural of "anectode" is not "data"), then this observation is as good as mine (and I don't have market research either).

Of course, even with market research, only time can tell. We'll see in 6 months, I guess.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Bug fixes are supposed to be free... I'm saying realease a paid upgrade when its worth paying for -- or reduce the upgrade price to make it comparible to the features being released.

Incremental upgrades are cool with me if the price is reasonable, and ultimately I'm sure this is where the market will go -- selling patches and upgrades like songs for your ipod.

Best,
    Jason.

Thanks
    Thanked 16,679 Times in 5,021 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by pixlart
    Using a photograph as a source image, the enhanced Photo Painting System produces convincing hand-painted results with a single mouse click. This feat is made possible by the Smart Stroke Painting option. Initially analyzing the source image’s content, Smart Strokes dynamically change brush size, stroke length, and pressure based on the detail and focal areas of the original photo. Strokes intelligently follow the forms of the original subject matter. All of this translates into an amazing breakthrough enabling the drawing-challenged to produce remarkable finished art.
    Oh goody goody . This guy will be thrilled.

Last edited by Elwell; February 9th, 2007 at 04:59 PM.

Tristan Elwell
    **Finished Work Thread **Process Thread **Edges Tutorial

Crash Course for Artists, Illustrators, and Cartoonists, NYC, the 2013 Edition!

"Work is more fun than fun."
    -John Cale

"Art is supposed to punch you in the brain, and it's supposed to stay punched."
    -Marc Maron

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Bug fixes are supposed to be free...
    OK, I'll give you that.

I'm saying release a paid upgrade when its worth paying for -- or reduce the upgrade price to make it comparable to the features being released.
    If the upgrade is not worth it to you, don't buy it! Reducing the price has been tried before, and was not so successful. Pricing is a black art. Whatever price you put, there will always be someone saying "You know, Painter is 24.99$, but that's too expensive. I would buy it if it was 19.99$".

Incremental upgrades are cool with me if the price is reasonable, and ultimately I'm sure this is where the market will go -- selling patches and upgrades like songs for your ipod.
    An interesting idea, but I'm afraid it does not scale well. In any large software program, changing even one little thing (like fixing one bug) can have a ripple effect and unintended consequences. So it is thoroughly tested, and there is a big process in place to ensure that what is released to the customers really is better than what was there before. That's why you rarely see one-off bug fixes, always batches of them (sometimes in a paid upgrade, like IX to X, sometimes not, like IX to IX.1 to IX.5).

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    So far I'm digging it. It's way faster that the earlier versions. The real bristle brushes are almost worth the upgrade price alone. I've had no crashes, but have only been using it for a day. I'm working on 3000x4000 images (72dpi).

Pencils are better, using the default 2B feels more like sketching, but some of the charcoals (like soft vine) feel too soft (as compared to 9.5). Of course I'm sure playing with the brushes can get me back to where they were.

For those of us who really liked 9/9.5, 10 is an easy jump. Interface is pretty much the same, but now cutomizable. I have not played with that much, so I can't really comment. It's faster, so that makes it pretty worthwhile if you do concepts like me.

For the record I use both Painter and Photoshop, so I'm no hater of either. Both are tools, and that's all I use them for. I used to really dislike Painters interface, but now actually think in many ways it surpasses Photoshops, it's more 'organically' inclined. Works better with how I think. On the flip side, anything that needs to be more exact, I use Photoshop.

From what I can tell, this is the best Painter (again, for those of us who never really used 6, but started at 8). I'll probably pick it up pretty soon.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Some upgrades are worth the money and some clearly are not. When I bought a new Intel Mac Pro and found that Painter 7 wouldn't work with it, I felt I had no choice but to upgrade to IX.5 or stop using Painter. (I have Painter 8, but I hate the interface).

I too, bought IX.5 only a few months ago, and I'm still trying to become familiar with what is to me a very user unfriendly interface. It also doesn't work with my Wacom Intous tablet as well as earlier versions of Painter did. (Versions 1.0 through version 7). It is a matter of accepting a product that seems to be going backwards since Corel bought it or just give it up altogether.

Luckily, I have a working - and working well - older version of Photoshop so at least I have the luxury of waiting until the time is right to get a universal binary upgrade from Adobe. I look forward to the day when Adobe improves Photoshop's brush technology to the point where I can just drop Painter altogether.

Painter's backward slide has been the saddest and most disappointing thing in all of the the 21 years that I've been creating art on computer. What a great program it used to be ...sad.

http://fredtaylor art.com

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    "I look forward to the day when Adobe improves Photoshop's brush technology to the point where I can just drop Painter altogether."

true that.. Ive never been a big Painter fan.. Nowvthat Ive discovered programs like Opencanvas and Sketchbook Pro, using Painter makes even less sense.. Learn from your competitors people!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    "I look forward to the day when Corel improves a few more features in Painter to the point where I can just drop Photoshop altogether."

I use Painter every single day I'm in the studio and I can't imagine using anything else. I consider myself lucky enough to be a professional artist and I wouldn't use anything that wasn't ...well, professional.
    Because I’m a Painter user (frankly it feels more like real drawing and painting to me) I find Photoshop awkward and unnatural.

Sketchbook pro, you're kidding right?
    I own a copy. Sure it's fun but it wouldn't last two minutes in my day-to-day chaos.

PS.
    A large graphic studio that has twenty to thirty computers running Photoshop surrounds my studio. If I had a dollar for every F*ck Photoshop or Photoshop is Bullsh*t i've heard uttered, I'd be a millionaire.

Obviously, Photoshop is a great piece of software, that’s not my point.
    And I'm not saying that Painter or any app. is completely perfect. I'm just stunned when I hear other artists wish for the demise of such an important program.

Cheers
    dan

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 1