DSG 1193: Sci-Fi: BEEFY URBAN ASSAULT AUTOMATON COMES AROUND THE APT. HALLWAY CORNER

Join 500,000+ Artists

Its' free and it takes less than 10 seconds!

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,283 Times in 467 Posts
    Follows
    Following

DSG 1193: Sci-Fi: BEEFY URBAN ASSAULT AUTOMATON COMES AROUND THE APT. HALLWAY CORNER

(Apt. = Apartment)

[ So, we're in an enclosed space... an apartment building hallway... ]

[ ...and, just turning the corner, here comes this powerful armored mechanism laden with various anti-personnel devices. ]

[ Rather daunting, I would imagine. ]

[ This is probably a police unit. ]

[ Which means cool weathered stripes, i.d. numbers, badge insignia, and the like. ]

[ It doesn't have to be la policia, mind you... ]

[ ...But, that would kinda be like scraping the icing off the cake. ]

Sci-Fi: BEEFY URBAN ASSAULT AUTOMATON COMES AROUND THE APT. HALLWAY CORNER

Last edited by William b. Hand; February 5th, 2007 at 11:58 AM.

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Great topic! It'll be really interresting to see what becomes of this.

No digital editing. Markers

Last edited by Lingmerth; February 5th, 2007 at 06:06 PM.
    My Sketchbook
    "Don’t waste your time on jealousy; sometimes you’re ahead, sometimes you’re behind, the race is long, and in the end, it’s only against yourself."
    Photoshop color picker | Adjusting tablet sensitivity: Manually or Utility

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Nice pics we all have pretty much the same composition.

too tired to finish it maybe tomorrow.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    nice one Mitze ,I have time only for roughs .

When I was young, I could do all-nighters in my sleep.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    So I haven't done the daily sketch in, oh, about forever. Thought I'd dash off a quick one today, for old times' sake. If I've got any more time today I'll polish it up a bit, but I make no promises.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey hey! Cool topic. I took the law enforcment slant...here's my sketch:
    Tell me whatcha think.

Lingmerth Great job with the colors, really brought it together. Great expression on the guy around the corner too.
    Hamsta Ah, reminds me of MechWarrior. Looks great. Good composition, the rounded corridor is a neat look. And the light from the window, neat tone, I'd love to see you do something really dramatic with that.
    Mitze I really like the texture and colors of this one. The pure size of your automaton looks sweet. I like it.
    Goran Textury. Really neat. I like your style.
    Phaethon Very neat. I'm coming back from having not done the DSG in forever too...I maybe did it once.

Ars longa, vita brevis.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    my arm started to hurt so I gave up on the surroundings....

I like everyones work

Cheers

illustration web space:
    www.ebillustration.com
    general portfolio website:
    www.ebillustration.com/gallery
    ca sketchbook:
    http://conceptart.org/forums/showthread.php?t=118097

careful, if you click on the sketch book link while you are viewing my ca sketchbook you might get stuck in a causality loop

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Not sure what I was thinking here, haha

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

it's been a while...

sure has been a while since the last post 4 me.

Up from the hallway floor...
    complete with flower-print floring!

-Sheldon

"I intend to live forever....so far, so good."

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

"Daddy's going away for a little while, Honey...."

Link to the original sketch: LINK

Last edited by burrito; February 9th, 2007 at 03:36 AM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Wip

Crits welcome, paintovers even. I like the way I layed it our, but I think there's some problems. Let me know.

Last edited by Mykro; February 20th, 2007 at 01:44 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

dsg goes on.. )

Hi there! This is my first post here.. )) Just found out your amazing community and coulnd't wait till you start the new dsg... so that's what I see. not sure about anti-military abilities of that metal something... well.. atleast it can see thru walls.

Good vision everyone! )

p.s. plz reply if the img is too big...... )))

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Mykro: That perspective is way too strong for a corner, Main thing is that you need to bring the vanishing points out.

Here's hoping you find something useful from the above image.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks Exocentric, I don't have that many markers (especially not any flesh toned, as you might see), you make do with what you have, right.
    I like your play with light and shadow, nice color comp. aswell

Welcome Al Navro. Hope you become a regular (unlike me ), the more the marrier.
    Great work on the expression and lighting of the face in the first frame.

Mykro, one other thing you might want to think about is contrast, I think your picture would look better if you made the dark parts darker, and the bright brighter. Foremost on the mecha. He has a really good design, but the form is kinda lost.

Last edited by Lingmerth; February 6th, 2007 at 10:23 AM.
    My Sketchbook
    "Don’t waste your time on jealousy; sometimes you’re ahead, sometimes you’re behind, the race is long, and in the end, it’s only against yourself."
    Photoshop color picker | Adjusting tablet sensitivity: Manually or Utility

Thanks
    Thanked 1,585 Times in 604 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    maybe, perhaps if beefy is relative .

The Thumbnails
    I spent 20-30 (20 was the goal) minutes on the original 10 thumbs, and then 10-15 minutes on the "improved three" - the 2nd to last is a filler, and I made that last

I'll try to add some thoughts on the others tomorrow, but so lovely are they that I must first sleep on it!

Last edited by dan liimatta; February 6th, 2007 at 04:48 PM.
    SB. p31 updated 25.04.2012.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Ahhh.

Website

New World Creation: Designers Wanted – Environment of the Week

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Just a quick one, still giving photoshop chance to not suck.

Dead dog for sale - Skulldog Studio - Sketch Journal

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Talking

Nice job everyone.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Lingmerth
    I like the automaton/bot, it's design and rendering - the guy is pretty decent as well, but compared to them the enviroment feels sloppy indeed ~ I mean that is some wonky plank you got there to the right

Hamsta
    you placed the mecha in the middle of the piece - and that composition really hurts it, an other negative ~ that house must be collapsing with those walls (\ opposed to |). Still the mech is pretty good, and while I've often have readability issues with your digital sketches it reads fine.

Mitze
    I like the linedrawing, the automata is pretty nice - and the tale is good ~ too bad about the lack of time to finish it

goran
    the design, I'm not sure in which environment it would fit, but it would be worth building to have that little guy in it. & Nice composition and rendering as usual.

Exocentric
    I like the design, inspite off that I normally don't like those of it's like, and the rendering of the automata is good (even if you probably made it in B/W and splashed on some green, yellow & blue) ~ personally thought I think the environment takes it down a notch - the wall to the right clouds the machine, the shadow on the floor annoys me, and the rest leaves me wanting. So opposed to the fact that I'm generally not inclined to the design in general, and that I think the room pulls it down; I still like it

& you left comments to boot!

Jack Frost
    You need to take the pain, be a man! Still I got a wrist warmer to avoid just that
    Anyway the bot is pretty, and the design is fairly cute.

Supialoctopod
    Probably not about perspective, still the piece is intresting, but probably more because of the sense of non sequitur it leaves; for example why is that guy in front calmly waiting for the elevator, or why would someone need to mount a minigun on the automata's head!

Still, think about the lines and perspective the next time around no

Sheldon
    At first I disliked the what I thought was a shamble of lines, and I had a hard time reading it - but now, while I still wish it was more readable, I've come to turns with it - and I love large parts of your creation. The Design of the bot is ace, and the entrance through the floor/wall is a close second. Perhaps the first impression is just a sign of my own stab at painting over the last years, it's been far too long since I inked anything before I lay on paint.

burrito
    Some negatives, I dislike the P.O.V. as it makes the piece flatter, and you placed the machine in the centre square - both pulls this down for me. Yet you got the bulky machine right, it feels more like an automata then most, and it's definitively very bulky indeed - then the rendering helps the piece somewhat; still the P.O.V and composition shines through ~ I'm a sad little monkey, for I usually like/love your stuff

Mykro
    Paint over Time!
    Well I agree with everyone about the perspective, specially since you had the characters and the wall in different perspectives. I also agree with the contrast.

I also take it that the automata was, as far as automatas plan anything, planning an attack on the runner? So I moved the pieces around to try to capture this better etc.

I also gave it some more texture and jizz

This was a quicky, but I hope you like the changes, I'm divided over my own addition but anyway.

Al Navro
    It feels like two plates, two diffrent rooms - is the neard the controller of said automata? anyway I like the guy, but I'm having perspective problems with the bots, and the blurry rendering on that plate.

Vulgar`
    Pft! Explain thyself!

Osmus
    Nice piece, though the colours/light perspective seems off.

Skulldog
    Photshop is hot, still a bleed setting on the brushes would make it even better.
    Your piece is very blurry though, and I'm not getting more then the premises.

Rygus
    I would like to see more light/shadow play & textures - besides that I like it.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Attack of the Disco Bot, or Ned's Atomic Dustbin!

I suck at hands, must do some more work on drawing and painting hands.

All your wowwipop are belong to us

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

)

Lingmerth Thx alot ) I hope that I have enough time to check back more often..
    dan liimatta this guy controlls it .. that's why he's sittin in the green light.. well, I totally agree with you... ) unfortunately had no time to finish this one in the right way.. though, it's not the the excuse for quality of the work ... thx for crit anyways ) i'll do better next time!

Last edited by Al Navro; February 7th, 2007 at 04:36 AM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Had a little time at work, thought I would get in on this one

'Quis Custodiet ipsos Custodes'

www.dotsonstudio.com

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    heres my offering:

its missing the hallway, but i was having far to much fun with it, think it might actually be one of the few peices i finish. huzzah!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Exocentric Not what I would call beefy, but that's not really important, is it?
    I get the feeling it's going to tip over, a little too side on as well.
    Now that dan liimatta mentioned it, the enviro and shadow really is notches down in quality, but I hadn't noticed it at first.

dan liimatta Mad magazine's Spy vs. Spy? Such a quirky design and pose, a real blast to the past, with those bold colors and textures.

Which reminds me of a few dsgs ago and the mention of PS dirt... simply a layer ontop with multiply? (or whatever blending mode you like)

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hamsta
    Yeah, been playing around with various styles, and I used half-tones with both the paintover and my own DSG.

Anyway you can use dirt layers in many ways, I got some favourites though.
    1. start trashy with a dirty underpainting, then draw your sketch upon it.
    2. draw the rough sketch/thumbnail, then throw a heap of garbage upon it (in a layer usually) - then make a layer upon that and clean it (to a certain degree of course)
    3. Draw dirt/scratches (usually with dirt brushes) and then try out some layer settings, usually overlay/softlight is the winner for me, but sometimes I'll find that some other setting, for example a low opacity exclusion works even better.

Some cleanup tips.
    the Dust & scratches filter under noise; apply your image in a new layer, apply dust & scratches and then mask the layer - now paint in the "clean" layer where you want it.

Other filters works just as well, and I'll often throw in some % of watercolour, or some other random filter that helps the image (paint dubs for example).

Other filters that helps are the various maximize/minimize/highpass filters under other, or the various blur/sharpen filters.

Also I'd recommend Sparths artistic process for some good tips - at the moment I'm heavly into throwing my old sketches in the mix as seen under process 02 - come with us.

Anyway masking is your friend

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    A bit late, but tried working a little differently.

Last edited by Charcoal; February 8th, 2007 at 07:54 AM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    DAN
    Thanks for posting that link, I hadn't seen the Sparth site before
    Very useful.

'Quis Custodiet ipsos Custodes'

www.dotsonstudio.com

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.