Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: SPACE CHIMP. Archive 2007 <Back to fundamentals> Life drawing Aug 8

Thanks

SPACE CHIMP. Archive 2007 <Back to fundamentals> Life drawing Aug 8

Welcome!

Crits and comments are appreciated.
    Last edited by Costau D; August 9th, 2007 at 12:17 AM.
    ACTION SPEAKS LOUDER
    "Amateurs look for inspiration; the rest of us just get up and go to work. " -Chuck Close

DRUNKEN WASTREL SKETCH GROUP:
    [ Costau D ][ Cuervo ][ Braintree ][ Fumble ][ Ookchk ][ RoboMonkey ]
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    I believe you should grab a copy of Dynamic anatomy by burne hogarth and study from that, but every artist should agree that there is no substitute from a real life model, Try to schedule some time in for a life drawing class, sometimes you can find them in your local area for cheap!

On your enviroments the perspective is kinda off, I sugest you work with basic shapes in perspective and lay down your line of perspective, try using a ruler to get thoe nice clean edges, the onle person who i know that can draw a perfect straight line is feng zhu, lol are you up to his skill? Hmmm... Also maybe you can render your enviroments alot more as in light and shadow to give it alot more depth. Right now there black and white and I cannot tell whats what. Your character is coming along just study man and you will get there. Hope I helped.

Thanks
    Cold Revolver: Thanks man. Yeah your right I need to do more studies, and take advantage of that life drawing open session at my school. I'll be starting my studies tommorow. Studying hogarth i think will have to wait for me, because to me it seems like every character he draws is always flexing. I got an old copy of Loomis, and Bridgemans Human Machine and life drawing so I'll start from there first. Also Vilppu.

And, you are very right about my enironment. One thing I really want to get good at is drawing environments and man made structures and machines. So I'll go back to the basics as you mentioned. The following pictures though were done before I even posted this, but I didnt have them to post yet. The next ones I do I'll take greater care in the initial laydown.

================================================== ==========

Alright then, heres a quick update. Just colored environments for now. My next
    posts will include studies. Please take the time to crit. Like I said, I know it's more tmpting to click on the five star threads so if your in this one I appreciate your time.

These pictures kind of leave me feeling like a little kid. The structures are so basic, and I couldnt think of anything more...thoughtful. Plus the use of colored pencil, marker, and white ink (something I'm not use too) did not really help. It was a requirement to use real media, and I never took the time to learn to paint with acrylics, watercolor, or oils. So I guess that tells me something.
    ACTION SPEAKS LOUDER
    "Amateurs look for inspiration; the rest of us just get up and go to work. " -Chuck Close

Thanks
    I think you got some interesting things going on here. I would suggest for your character turnarounds that you draw horizontal lines through the figure (and through details like the eyes and mouth) so you can match up the different views together pretty easily.

Your quick sketchwork is really nice and expressive, and I like the environment you give off in some of your space drawings. Interesting choice of colors, but for the last piece I would say that the black outerspace background is really flat looking in comparison to the ship. Though the red half planet dosen't read to the eyes as being round. I think you should try and add more depth with your pieces with darker shadows and possibly opening up to using more colors in your works.

Thanks
    Zoroko: Hey Zoroko thanks for the advice. Yeah, the space was bothering me as well. I couldnt figure out how to give it depth. Especially with the materials i had to use, made it very difficult. Thank you for the compliments. I'll be working harder with my renders.

================================================== =====

Ok. Small update. A quick sketch (10 minutes or so).
    ACTION SPEAKS LOUDER

Thanks
    *sigh*. Havent been able to motivate myself this week. Just a quickie. I was having fun creating it, and thought it would be funny.

But, it's one of those moments when you look at your work 15 minutes later, you sit down, stare at the screen and then for some reason your fist goes through the monitor. You wake up out of a daze on top of the kitchen sink and find that you just killed your two cats with your neighbors rake. You begin to realise that this was all because you read a horribly corny joke.

Please GOD give me some WIT!
    ACTION SPEAKS LOUDER

Thanks
    hey bro i really like the design of the robot and givin that its a quickie id say you did really well. just the hands need a bit more attention next time but im sure you know that
    you said yourself that you know you need to study more anatomy so you know what you need and now its just a matter of doing it. keep plugin away even when motivation lacks (happens to all of us).
    story boards are looking good too...easy to follow
    my advice would be to try get more contrast in your pencil work (in particular the character design) and study the face, get hogarth and loomis books and study how the face is broken into simple planes. this can add alot of depth and form to your faces giving them a real 3d look.
    good start man like i said keep em coming, you'll have fun here!
    MORE MORE MORE!!!

Thanks
    A small update. Took the environments a couple posts up, and enhanced them a bit and experiemented with the saturation. More to come.
    ACTION SPEAKS LOUDER

Thanks
    Thanked 1,221 Times in 625 Posts

Thanks
    Alright some quick stuff.
    ACTION SPEAKS LOUDER

Thanks
    Did a few sketches today. I was not very motivated with todays stuff. Need to go back to the drawing board, and get my skills up. It's not fun when you are limiting your ideas due to ability. pld:

Don-Key: Thank you for the advice man. And, very nice sketchbook.

Dile_: Same to you, and thanks for the reply.

=========
    Last edited by Costau D; March 4th, 2007 at 12:02 AM.
    ACTION SPEAKS LOUDER

Thanks
    Hey man, nice perspective studies. Do more of them! Also, I know you've got some nice papers and pencils man, put 'em to use and do a good drawn out study.
    Sepulverture's Sketchbook Page 1 Page 19
    Sepulvertures Extended Studies Page 1
    page 2

Tutorials Tips and Tricks needs you to stay alive!"

Thanks

Quickie Sunday

"Look bender. A cute and cuddly baby tapir." -Ship
    ACTION SPEAKS LOUDER

• Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast