Sketchbook: :: chenga DS 02 ::

Join 500,000+ artists on ConceptArt.Org.

Its' free and it takes less than 10 seconds!

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Thanks

:: chenga DS 02 ::

Hello.
    This is a new head start for my third daily sketchbook. Previously, I have posted my DS in the following link:

http://www.conceptart.org/forums/showthread.php?t=35241

(It was a stupid clumsy thread, which I have made a mistake and posted it in the WIP section. Sorry.) The objective my DS is to be able to draw out of my head without reference and be a better artist. In addition, it is going to be my life long process.

It is been a harsh start for me in the past for striving to learn to draw. And, I believe it would be even tougher in the future, as I do not have formal traditional media training before. Now, I just get kicked start to know-how what is the basic idea of pencil drawing after a long year sketching in the dark. All thanks to a colleague of mine, Mr. Raymond, who is the only one among many others whom kind enough gave me an insight and exposure for open up my mind. He demonstrated a life portrait of me right in front of my eyes. He showed me "strokes"; its direction and overlapping would make the subject looks more solid and visually engaging. It is a shame to say that I do not know what is stroke all about until the live demo which really bang my head and open up my eyes. And, he suggested me to learn and practice the stroke in a singular direction as a starter. I practice that 3-4 times a week. I know it is insufficient but I am trying hard to keep up the practice.

Now, all my subjects of drawing are photo from magazines. I know I am not talented in art but it does not matter. It is the passion, which keeps me on going. Sometimes it is frustrated after some long time of self-dedicated practice; I still cannot draw like a photostat machine! I still have the same old problems of proportion and photographic memory. I had a very poor psychomotor, which my eyes and hand does not go along. Right now, my only resort is to draw more and built up more confidence before starting an outdoor life sketching.

Below are some sketches and thumbnails, which I doodle from time to time for my personal 3D animated short film project. I think I am going to put this idea into a shoebox for very long time. I felt my ideas is hollow and lack of the fun factor. Anyways, I decided to post it up here because it is part of my DS too.

Lastly, thanks to CA who hosts such a wonderful portal for showcase so many aspiring superb artists, which really motivate everyone to draw.

Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by chenga; April 26th, 2014 at 12:56 PM. Reason: removing thumbnails
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    It's been really a long time that I didn't doodle with wacom. Ha, I managed to sneak some quality time today in the studio after meeting a milestone.

C & c r welcome.

Thanks
    Man, you have some crazy characters with some crazy detail. Loving the whole creepyness of them. They seem to be pretty complex characters as well. Would love to here some background stories for some of them. Keep it up.

"Imagination is more important than knowledge"- Albert Einstein

Eric wants to LEARN! Sketchbook

Thanks
    You seem to be off to a good start. I would like to see some anatomy studies.

New Sketchbook

Old Sketchbook

"I have been impressed with the urgency of doing. Knowing is not enough; we must apply. Being willing is not enough; we must do." -Leonardo Da Vinci

Thanks
    It is been so long for not updating my ds here. And, I am slacking away for months not drawing anything. I feel bad, really bad. (I guess been caught up too much at daily work)

Yesterday, I got a chance to try out newly install MudBox software in the studio. I really thrilled and excited about it. Well, I found that it is quite user-friendly. However, I am not a sculptor nor a strong modeler. Thus, I just create a simple plane in Mudbox, then start to "paint/sculpt" something random by heart. This 2.5d drawing is really fun.

Below is what I got:

p/s:

Envisor: Hi there! Thanks for words I shall keep working on it sometime when im ready.

Unbreakable: Thanks. I have neglecting my study in anatomy for sometime. I shall heed your advise and work it out.

Thanks
    Bad times. I found some of my old crappy "conceptual stuff" while trying backup all the junks from my dying hardisk. I hope to get a new hardisk asp so that I could update my ds here in a more frequent fashion. Anyway, I would to post it here b4 its gone.

thanks.

Thanks
    A further exploration of mudbox. It is a great 3D painting experience for me. I sculpted this without reference and merely into learning more about the software. It got some bad anatomy structure there.

Any C&C r most welcome

Thanks
    At last, I managed to save for a new hardisk after nearly 2 months of cold turkey. I felt exicited about it so much because I get to scan some doodle of my and updated it here. My drawing is really sloopy and always in the same way. This time I did few new attemptions by exploring other media for spice up my thick chunky sketchbook. I know this sound lame, however it took me alot to buck it up. I still having the haunting memories of punching a hole through the drawing block when try to pickup watercolor painting. It is really embrassing and so discouraging. I didn't dare to use it ever since then...

Ah btw, below is my tributes for this month ds.

And, for this one below, does it looks familliar? Haha, of course not. Anyways, I found the nearly 7 years old alpha watercolor at home. Its nearly dry up and about turn into fossil. I am thinking of ways for utilize it fully. Then, I came across a painting of John White Alexander, Repose, 1895. I really like that brilliant painting which got a pleasing composition and harmony colors. Thus, I try to replicate it as part of my learning process. I know I can't fool around with the "water" elements media, coz it gonna ruin my sketch book, and I do not wish to have a wet hole through it. So my solutions is to stay "dry". I use the masking tape and gesso which prescript by some painting workbook that I browse at the bookstore. I have been cautious for not "killing" it. At the end, it ends up some crap as below. Still it is a fun process for plattering the colors around. I am looking forward more into it...

For this one, it is totally an incident. After some fun doodle with the dry brush. I seems to be accumulating more guts and eager for another one. And, I tried to paint some potrait for this time. I really screw up this time, blow the whole thing up! All the colors been clutter together and turn into greyish. I can't see the pencil line anymore... I felt so frustrating after that nite. I want to tear off that page and trash it right away coz its been another stain that I am visually no good. I didn't open my sketchbook for days after that. Then, as usual I am back on my desk coz I like to draw. I look at that page, and felt dorky been beaten down by that bleaky painting which can't see a form in there. I have to turn it into something instead of leaving it like that. I grabbed a pencil and draw over it blindly plus angrily. I dunno what I am doing really, just circle and circle. Then I started to see a form, and I followed it up quickly before loosing the imagination trail. At the end, I got something, but it is too dense with all sort of lines. Boldly, I use a thick permanent marker to trace and clean it up. At last, I felt some satisfaction after the "revenge". Then, I scanned and colored it in PS7 after reviving my hardisk.

And for this one, it is a pencil drawing potrait with magazine as reference. Then, later I scanned it and paint over with painter. It is fun for exploring the oil brush which I am inept to do it real life.

Thanks
    Your really good, but you need to be careful with the anatomy and lining up the proportions. Keep up the work.

Thanks
    really bold work, I like it alot.

The scrawny white sketchbook ring
    OISHIINIKU CAKEYPIGDOG MYA RES D-BAKER ASHAB

Alex Baer is offline Oh, I'm afraid the deflector shield will be quite operational when your friends arrive
    Thanks
    l enjoy the designs and textures of your characters, ecpecially those that are more stylized. keep posting.

My Sketchbook

Soldiers/Mercenaries SB

"Ooh! Now that's good work! The skulls... the bodies... you give it all such a glow! I don't know if it's art, but I like it!"

Thanks
    Another entry for my DS. This is one of my concept sketch for my personal shortfilm which I hav been incubating for quite long time. I really wanna make it comes alive with the magic of "illusion of life".

I find that it is kind of hard for striving the balance between the ideation of my personal project while improving my drawing skills. Somehow, I hope to draw and do more anatomy studies as my precious sketchbook.

Micaiah Nelson: Thanks. More Anatomy studies shall be on the way!

Ashab: Well, I guess people like me who don't hav a strong or proper traditional media training mostly blindly bold without knowing a thing. I tends to be barbaric when picking up any media and while at my very best for pouring out my imaginations or visual minds into the blank paper. Mostly, it ends up with a hole or deep scratch in the middle of the canvas or paper. Thats is another reason which i like to stick with digital media

Dabaers: Thanks for the plugged! I really enjoy ur creature works too. Let's keep posting

Btw, I digged something up while restoring the data back to my hardisk. It is some concept stuff that I visualize through 3D which dated nearly 2 years back! I didn't get to finish it. As far I could remember, I was painting the seat's texture half way through. The file is getting too heavy for my machine to cope with. Hopefully, I could finish it render a turn around.

Cheers.

Thanks
    Hello You have a nice thread going here. I like the diversity of your subjects
    My recomendation (besides doing anatomy studies which has already been mentioned) is to try to clean up your line. It seems that when you draw a line now, you almost always want to restate it and draw over it again... and again, thus creating a jagged "hairy" look of the contours. Try doing as much as you can with a single line without breaking it up or restating it. You may accentuate it at times, but do so again with as few jagged lines as possible. Try to use longer flowing strokes. It's hard at first, but cleaning up your lines really does wonders for your drawings!
    Good luck! And have fun

When in doubt, run and shout.

Sketchbook Vol.2

Sketchbook Vol.1

Blog

lys's sketchbook
    click there!

Thanks

a rejected work.

I didn't slack off last month. I was working on some character designs. I have focused it solely and even neglecting my sketchbook. However, I didn't stop drawing. I gave my very best and effort into it after every working hours. I was hoping it would give me a chance to work on something that I dream of; a conceptual artist (or at least a button pusher which could involve in creative and artistic design process). And, as life it is, things aren't turn up straight and smooth. I presented it with a warm passionate heart to the superior. Yet, I got a cold thrashed without a blink.

I felt really depressed that day. Suddenly, I feel lost and dunno how to continue this journey of self awakening through arts. It is something which I believe firmly which would lead me to the ultimate question and hence gets the explanation of my existence in this materialistic world. But, I doubt it now. I am lost and dunno where to go...

I have been quiet for many days. Somehow, I have recovered. Maybe I love arts and willing to take it seriously. It just never die off like that. I would put myself as an individual who has being late into art. An old boy, yeah, I like that excuse coz it helps to comfort me and keep moving. I looked back at my work again, and I have discovered numerous of mistakes and faulty artistic judgements. It contains so many anatomical error even I have try very hard to avoid it. Then, with a further break down, the silhouette and poses are too lame and confusing. Lastly, a deadly one it aint telling anything. There should be a story in it.

I rushed myself too hard for trying to meet the submission date. And, I have overly focused in the design elements detailing and forgot so many things. And this shows that I am still an amateur and lack of experiences for can't get it straight in one shot. Nevertheless, I learnt and discovered something on my own. I should be happy for being able to finish that in PS through imaginations.

Now, I could accept my defeat with a smilling face. Lastly, I would post it up here, a little hideous corner for myself. And, I would keep drawing...

Any harsh C & C with the whip are most welcome.

Thanks.

Last edited by chenga; March 8th, 2009 at 03:18 AM. Reason: learn how to attach an image

Thanks

Above r part of the design process sketches which leads me toward the final painted work. I spent alot of time in doing all these doodles when i am free. Some of it which looks extremely horror was done in railway or on the road. It is so hard to draw something in shaky hand. I did alot of thumbnails and only compile those that I consider "worth" looking and readable.

Windmaker: Hi there! Your sketch book is great. You really getting good at it. And it looks promising yet showing a remarkable improvements. Cheers!

p/s: I still dunno how to manage the attachments in the thread. Is there any way to make a selected image as a thumbnail? ( <--- i know im dumb)

Thanks
    some random drawings without thoughts.

Some anatomy replica drawings. I can't come up any better ways to learn it. I nvr attend a proper art school b4 so i guess this is gonna be the way: analyze then copy.

Thanks
    really nice sb,nice studies,and i love the old boy's stuff.
    face's are amazing.
    keep posting

Thanks
    Wicked stuff.
    Somewhat messy style but not in a bad way at all.
    Characters and ideas are awesome and you seem to also have quite strong works in digital rendering and 3d modelling too. Keep em coming.

Visit My Sketchb00k and drop a comment.
    www.timokarhula.com

Thanks
    Another thoughtless doodle...I did it while listening to some jazz, old disc, new age stuff. I just follow the flow... (i know is rubbish..)

Last edited by chenga; January 8th, 2012 at 03:55 AM.

Thanks
    The old guy on the fish is cool as hell.

Work on your heads or more specifically the faces. Lets see some self portraits!

Please show some love at my DA page. BobbyDash.DeviantArt.com or leave some critiques in my sketchbook thread HEREhttp://www.conceptart.org/forums/sho...=1#post2288893

Thanks
    this stuff is really impressive - i think that working in a loose style like this definately helps your work...

i get the impression through your mark making that your quite concerned with getting it 'right' on your finished pieces and as a consequence they feel a bit tight and contstrained - i think if you just relax bit like you did in those loose sketches you'd really kick some arse.

hope that makes sense - let me know if im talking nonsense

Thanks
    wow...so much variety in your work....incredible...I'm loving your car drawings...the designs are really kickass. If I had to crit anything, I'd say that it seems like there's quite a few of those pencil drawings of people that appear to be drawn from photographs (rather than real life)...but I could be wrong.......either way..very strong and rock solid thread you got here buddy.....I'll keep my eyes open for more stuff!!!!!!!
    -cheers
    -Tin

Thanks
    Man, nice drawing. Dig the Alexander study, one of my favorites at the Met. And the characters with "the art of chenga" on it, now those are crazy colors and designs.

to crit.. I think you can afford to lose the linework more in some paintings--paint over them and going nuts. Especially with the studies, you can always refer back to the originals.

Thanks
    wow really nice work in here man, very glad i stopped by... want to see more is all!

Thanks

The Forgotten Goddess - Lady Bast

It has been more than a year for not updating my DS. Am I drifting away off my dreams?

Above is my latest personal art piece that I did for myself 2 days ago. I didn't create a piece of art for myself in such long time period. In addition, what’s make me picked up my left behind dream is the recent NVArt Challenge- Surreal (in the Style of Jacek Yerka). It is Yerka’s works that ignite my lost self who passionate about art.

Although this is not a well accomplish entry that adhere to the guideline, still I am glad that I finished it with enjoyments and passion. In the end of the day, it is just about me.

Below are some descriptions about my work:

The Forgotten Goddess - LADY BAST.

Digital Mixed Media- 3ds Max, Photoshop

The core idea of my painting is about the long forgotten goddess- Lady Bast, the sole guardian of all cats who matters life and death.
    Here, I would like to imitate the timeless visual style of Jacek Yerka for presenting my shallow imagination towards Lady Bast. Below are sort of key points that keep playing in my head while I worked on it.

"......No longer people worship and pray to her. No one ever comes to visit her. Nor anybody writes to her no more. The mundane world totally forgot about her. Yet, she remains unchanged with her youthfulness and stays quietly in her little mid-world which crosses the timeline of all worlds. Her native ancient Egyptian links are faded away along time and clings to others; what left over are the weathered hieroglyphic relief as a memorial and the gorgeous mystical ornaments that she wore once upon a time. Now, she has given it to her last remaining loyal follower that lives by her side which in the form of a black cat.

She has been busy in writing about everything in a little note pieces and let it all scatter around in her territory. That would keep her busy in the eon of time. Soon, it has accumulated in an enormous amount and pile up like a fallen leaves through out the entire mid-world. One day, the Wind of North East passed by and had an idea; He planted the stolen magic branch at her home as a hideous form of disposal. Then, he whirled ups all the sticky notes and transforms it into the golden flaming leaves as part of the branch. Thus, it forms the Tree of Secrets.

The shiny flaming Tree of Secrets has attracted the wise king of all fish across the ocean of seven seas. He comes and stays to read them all. Later, he decided to settle down here and devoted to be the guardian of the secrets. As a token of appreciation and eternal friendship, Lady Bast gave him a Ring of Repulsion to pierce in. Thus, he is no longer fearful of his own weakness against the bait of man.

Soon, the mid-world of Lady Bast begin to blossom and mails are flooding in for seek of secrets. This time she gets her hands on the typewriter and busy for replying them all slowly......”

Thanks

Above are some shabby concept thumbs and the wip process. Ha, I am signing it off from here onwards. This shall be become history and as part of my journey of art.

Now, I am looking forward to create another new piece of art.

Cheers.

Last edited by chenga; March 8th, 2009 at 03:20 AM.

Thanks

Thanks

Fan Art: Replica of Hellboy

It has been nearly three years now for not keeping up the promises to myself. And, I am no longer a AAA game artisan since 2009.

Somehow, I feel guilty for scarcely sketch for my soul. I think I managed to move my long blunt pencil for some random pieces in 2011. Hopefully, I could find some time to post them here.

Above is a fan art to Hellboy if you can tell. It is a replica drawing that done at the night (July 2011) when I have departed from a job. I still could vaguely remember my feelings at the time; I felt so happy to a sense of freedom that I lost for years…the feeling grew so strong and clicked with my desire for wanting to make some mark on paper. So, I sketched happily …and in a coincident I have shown it to my mom. I never really show my sketchbook and all other visual stuff that I have worked to my mom. And, my mom does not know who the hell Hellboy is. But, surprisingly she commented the red character looks cute, hahaha. Anyway, I am always a fan to Mignola’s art.

But soon, I didn’t manage to sketch again. I have locked my secret desire away again for pursuing a postgraduate studies and another day job for paying fees and bread. Being able to draw is truly a luxury.

30. The Following User Says Thank You to chenga For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    I always get amazed with the shading of your drawings.. Those lines looks neat and very close to each other..

Thanks

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 9