C.O.W. - #075: 75 tons - Voting! - Page 2
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

View Poll Results: Vote for your fav entry regarding the topic!

Voters
136. You may not vote on this poll
  • TomCardin

1 0.74%
  • longshao

17 12.50%
  • mattbyng

0 0%
  • DanRamey

0 0%
  • BEESFIS

0 0%
  • Eric Engelmann

0 0%
  • VirtualSurreality

1 0.74%
  • Plate

0 0%
  • njoo

6 4.41%
  • Peg

0 0%
  • ChaoticKnight

0 0%
  • pogoshio

0 0%
  • VegasMike

27 19.85%
  • Chuck,mate.

4 2.94%
  • Myriell

2 1.47%
  • voraz

0 0%
  • cherryworx

0 0%
  • HankTheTank

0 0%
  • Michael Jaecks

2 1.47%
  • MikeCorriero

5 3.68%
  • DarkPixel

0 0%
  • navarrot

7 5.15%
  • JakkaS

9 6.62%
  • scorge

0 0%
  • redehlert

1 0.74%
  • Rabid Peanut

1 0.74%
  • Tyranx

39 28.68%
  • Moog

0 0%
  • Muttonhead

14 10.29%
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    cherryworx is offline red haired slacker of dubious origins Level 2 Gladiator: Ordinarii
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    went with VegasMike on this one, mainly due to the wonderful feel of the pic, looks like one of the beautiful illustrations i used to see in my dinosaur books when i was a kid. it was that or Longshao's piece but that just seemed a touch too pale for my liking( just personal nitpicking, otherwise a fantastic piece!)
    as for entering my first COW? feels gooood to get into the poll, don't care if i don't get any votes! there are so many stunning entries it boggles the mind.(if you've never had your mind boggled, try it! it's good for you!)

"Put Away those Fiery Biscuits!"
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Man, I very much think Njoo deserves FAR MORE VOTES!!! Come on people, look at how beautiful it is!!!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Voted for Vegasmike. I loved the total atmosphere of the pic, and the story behind it was very believable. The composition is very Tyranx, which always works extremely well, but maybe isnt the most surprising. Nevertheless This entry is very star-worty.

Other favs were:

Longshao: Nice pic, great design. I think if you concentrated a bit more on one animal instead of drawing two, you would have more time to work out the one. I found dividing your short time (week) on two creatures doesnt do any of them any good. Great pic nevertheless, let down by a bit of flatness on the secundairy creature, and the lower leg parts of the main one. Keep it up!

Tyranx: Great stuff. This one looked like it would have my vote when I first saw it. I accidentely saw it on a monitor with a higher brigtness setting and it showed a bit of lack of detail here and there, like it was a bit rushed. It still is a very impressive pic, but maybe the composition is a bit too familair and therefor a bit unsurprising. Youre work is still way up there, so never mind my mumblings.

Njoo: Great story, and very recognizable style. The pic feels a bit underdeveloped though, like it could use just a once over to add that extra oomph. The little detailed pics explaining the creature work very well.

Jakkas: Amazing as usual, and I like how you keep trying different things to present the creatures. Like I said in the comments above, its hard to concentrate on detailing more then one creature within a week. This shows a bit in this pic. While the main color pic is amazing, the b/w shows some flaws, which slightly lessen the impact. The front legs of the main creature in the b/w are a bit too wide apart, and the creature in front looks like it is standing on a higher plateau, because of the perspective being off. I understand you needed to show more of the creature then just a frontal shot, but maybe you could have pulled it off with just one pic. However, youre still amazing, and those all those stars prove it beyond a doubt.

MJ: You always have a really recognizable color scheme, this is very cool, and very defining of your style. I think maybe you should give it a totally other swing and work those other color schemes. I always love how you bring unexpected creatures to the round. Keep it up!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks MJ, I'll try it sometime.
    Supervlieg-Thanks for the suggestion and encouragement.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Voted for Jakkas. Great concept and energy to the piece, and I love the rendering style, story, setting, and pretty much everything about it.

Other favorites were:

Longshao - Awesome perspective, literally, this has a perfect feel for the scale and weight of these creatures. Great skin textures too.
    Plate - I love the hell out of your juxtoposition... "It's a rock! No, it's a monster!" Love the before and after, very well done.
    VegasMike - Good concept, yes, good weight, yes, etc., but come on. I dig it for the sheer beauty. Holy crap...
    Michael Jaecks - Nice! Only in Zero-G could 75 tons be supported. Hooray for space-faring (dead) creatures! The only thing throwing it off is the planet. Personally, it makes it look like the creature is huge, 75,000 tons. It might be better with the shallow curve of the earth in the background, much closer into the upper atmosphere.
    MikeCorriero - Now that's 75 tons of fatness.
    tyranx - The atmosphere sells the scale of these creatures. Very nice, incredibly moody.
    Muttonhead - For some reason this is just funny to me. I dunno. It's amazingly well rendered, and I love the idea. But it's funny.

Great job, everyone!

Thanks
    Thanked 1,800 Times in 388 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Wow, not a single vote for myself or Red. That's how that cookie crumbled I guess.

Mike C.: You earned it man. Thanks a lot for the advice. It's amazing how a few sentences can make you rethink your whole way of working. I really have been working on the anatomy study. I studied it in college, (both animal and human)but it's become increasingly harder to remember.

Longshao: You were the first one to mention the saturation problem. I meant to give you credit for that a while ago but it was too late to change my entry. I tried to wait until the last minute to post but that turned out to be a big mistake. I'll try to do WIPs next time. Anyway, thanks for the advice and great job this round. I could and will learn a lot from you.

TomC: First off, you've come a long way in a short amount of time. I'm really impressed. Secondly, my detailed crit would have to be the general feel of a patchwork creature, and the lack of any feel of life in your Dragonbane. The perspective is awesome and the dramatic effect is definitely there, but he's too stiff, too thrown together. Know what I mean? I love the idea of dragons, and I love the idea of scorpions(I used to have two, that's where I got my screen name), but you have to be a little more thoughtful when combining the two. For example,I once had a project that required me to show the mid-morphing of two animals. Not the combination of their two best traits, but what it would look like if one species was to have sex and reproduce with the other. It was a very eye opening and humbling experience and definitely did not produce the result I was expecting or wanted. (It was a really ugly dumb looking animal)Just remember, there's nothing wrong with taking the best from the average, but you still have to have some of the average to make it believeable. Hopefully this helps. I'm not as good with the explanations as some.

On to the dungeon cleaner, I'm really gonna try to get this one done. Life's giving me some shit right now.

Check it out
    Blog, we've all got em:http://davesrightmind.blogspot.com/
    Creatures Galore!:www.creaturespot.com
    Full gallery o' stuff:davesrightmind.deviantart.com

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Red face

Quote Originally Posted by Fozzybar
    [B]

close to rejection:

navarrot
    COW is about the creature, but you concentrated on the whole image, neglecting the creature in a massive way. Still i see a lot of potential in your art, you have skills and i don't want to frustrate you, so your entry is accepted, but next time i won't let it go
    You're right Fozzy. I agree. I knew that drawing this composition I wasn't doing what I should, but i can't resist, I'm sorry I'll focus better on the creature next time, I promise. And about commenting and so on I wouldd like to say that it's very difficult to me to express myself in english. But I'll try too

See u everybody next round!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hi, voted for VegasMike. other favourites were Tyranx, Mutonhead, Mike Corriero, Navarrot, Longshao. I really liked some of the other creatures, and I think they could be great with a litle more work on the rendering, like peg's and DarkPixel creatures. I liked the rendering of redehlert's creature.

Thanks for the people who took the time to criticise my picture.
    Mutonhead- I hope you mean that in a good way but I'm not sure, I guess I exagerated a little with the texture...
    VegasMike- you're rigth, like I said I guess to much texture ended up covering the shapes/shadows, should have worked more on that.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    so many amazin' renders this week! concepts and concept text really say it all here. fantastico!
    i'll vote later on today for sure....but to those that have commented on my concept - thank you! i try to change up my rendering technique up on a weekly basis....keeps me mind goin'.
    cheers!
    d

There is no "I" in team, but there is an "I" in pie. And there's an "i" in meat pie. Meat is the anagram of team...~Shaun "Shaun of the Dead"
    http://www.cognitionstudio.com

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Lots of great entries! Loved all the creatures and all of their descriptions.

njoo - great creature design, I like where you were going with this.
    Vegasmike - Sweet turtle like creature.
    MikeCorriero - Awesome rendering, I really enjoy the the colors that you used in this one.
    Tyranx - Awesome! Your rendering of lighting and shadows is amazing.
    Muttonhead - Great creature, Don't know if I would use that salt either...

Went with njoo this time around.

Also, thank you Muttonhead for the comment.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by voraz
    Mutonhead- I hope you mean that in a good way but I'm not sure, I guess I exagerated a little with the texture....

Yes, a good way. I lived in Brooklyn for a while and thought this would make an interesting t-shirt design.... it just struck me.

dreggory is offline Registered Hex Offender Level 1 Gladiator: Andabatae
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I had to go with Tyranx on this one. The perspective really gives you a sense of the sheer size of the creature.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks muttonhead, I actually have done something for a t-shirt that was very similar, no colour though... and never was used...

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    and z vote goes to muttonhead - your humorous concept text, creature pose, rendering and presence of weight got me.
    i must admit tho, i really liked something in every piece. i know i know...that's a safe statement, but it is true for this round.
    cheers!
    d

There is no "I" in team, but there is an "I" in pie. And there's an "i" in meat pie. Meat is the anagram of team...~Shaun "Shaun of the Dead"

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    My vote went to Muttonhead, while a lot of the entries gave a great sense of size,etc, Muttonhead's creature actaully felt "heavy", if that makes any senses even... Oh maybe I just like Doctor Zoidberg hehe

I'm at work right now so I'll just comment on my few favs~
    LongShao - Love the design, feels like some real dinosaur drawing out of some dinosaur info book~!
    Plate - Somehow about this one is just fun~! The comic at the bottom works well and it's just fun to look at~!
    VegasMike - wohooo wonderful illo, concept itself I'd say it's just a giant big turtle, but don't get me wrong, with the description, it's an awesome scene and show a great sense of mass~ Then again you always pull off nice scenic illos~ nice one!
    Chuck,mate - HEeh I always like to watch out for at ur entries, it's always an eye candy, this creature can probably pick a fight with godzilla ha
    Michael Jaecks - The rendering and colors are nice Somehow its left hand how the end is like a block bothers me a little bit~
    MikeCorriero - Always a treat to see your stuff, a nice smelly filthy porkchop. Design wise I like your previous entries a tad more, still awesome stuff~!
    JakkaS - I love the head design and rendering, maybe more design element on the body or some part with strengthen this even more, great stuff!
    Rabid Peanut - This design somehow reminds me of LongShao, both looks like something that could realistically exist, nice sense of power!
    Tyranx - I don't think I even need to comment on this one, everyone probably said all the good stuff that I wanted to say....so...I will not comment lol

Again, awesome stuff guys~!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Tyranx: You got my vote, amazing piece. ....there aren't enough words......sniff...

MikeC: great piece, I love your style. Your stuff always inspires.

VegasMike: super sweet entry. Very strong dynamic stuff. And really good sense of motion.

Chuck: killer stuff, love the perspective.

Jakkas: really really cool creature. I love the b/w one too. I like the size comparison And showing them domesticated. Awesome work.

Redehlert: Really cool style, I love linework and love the feel of it. It's such a graphic piece it should be printed!

Tyranx: I looked at your image again, beautiful.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks for the kind words

Longshao

Very nice Pic, It has the old dinosaur illustration feel to it. I like the design of the creature and the composition you used. A few crits though...

One thing I noticed about the design of the creature itself is that his front horn curves down way too far. I think it would interfere with the creature's feeding.
    As he bends down to feed, it would slam into the ground, I would have it facing upwards, which could be used for defense and it would point the same way the other horns are pointing.
    I think some small creatures running away from these behemoths would also help sell the scale a bit better, while I can already tell they are huge, I dont know how huge is, the trees help, but trees come in all shapes and sizes.

As for the composition... All the trees are facing upwards, try to have some leaning, and maybe add a few more in the distance.

For the creature in the back, his back end is right on in terms of contrast, but some of his shadows on his front end are a bit too dark and push him too far forward. A little trick I use as far as atmospheric perspective goes... I lay in the sillouhoutte first and find the best contrast ratio... does the back need to be darker? Or should I lighten it up to help push it back? even the smallest change can have a huge impact on how big that creature feels.

Hope some of that ramble is useful

Keep up the great work.

njoo

This piece is nice, its one of the more original lookin beasties out of this bunch. ok, Crit time...

I like the design for the most part, but I feel as if its legs are a bit too small to sustain such bulk.
    I think the composition could be a bit more interesting, maybe a 3/4'ths view so we could get a better feel for its size and form?
    It could also benefit from a foreground, maybe have a few trees close to the camera to help give the picture some more depth.
    Next time make the picture a bit bigger if you can, I almost missed the little figures at the bottom.

keep it up

VegasMike

I'm glad you were able to make use of my tutorial, you put it to good use! I am honored

A few crits... I feel like the foreground is a bit too soft, I think it would benefit from being a bit more crisp.
    It looks like you intentionally blurred the foreground and background to help draw attention to the turtle, but you can also achieve the same effect using atmospheric depth, saturation and composition.
    Personally I like to save blurs for things that are in motion, there are exceptions however. By looking at your picture I know you can do it without using blur and although this works in a way, I think leaving blur out would help unify the piece a little more.

For the turtle... The front part looks good, but its rear end doesn't feel like its part of the body, it almost looks detached. I think the atmospheric perspective is pushing it back further that it should be. Also, where is his 4th leg? If its behind his left front leg, then that sucker is long as hell! but as I look at the one thats in the horizon, I can see this is not the case.

His head looks like it is stuck out pretty far, but his body has the same contrast.. I would make his body just a tiny bit lighter to push it back a bit and have the eye focus on the turtle's head.

Nice touch with the dripping water and the birds

I love the design of the turtle! great job designing the head, it reminds me of a piece I did for work
    Here it is....

Hope to see more from you soon!

MikeCorriero

You know I love your stuff, Great linework, nice colors, solid design, but you know what I'm going to say...

Work on your values and lighting, I think if you add some dark shadows under him, it would help make him feel more "grounded" right now he looks like he is semi-floating. I also think the transition from light to dark as the light wraps around his bulgy form is too soft, a harder transition would help define the lightsource a bit better and give it more form.

navarrot

Great composition and action going on, but the creature isn't the main element, focus on the creature more for your next one.

JakkaS

You already know too much... I must find a way of stopping you!

Tyranx

Quit doin movie illustrations and do a goddam concept!

Muttonhead

Man this thing is great! I love the concept, the description, everything. No wonder you do this for a living

Hope to see you around more, your creatures are always so wild!

ok... time to go to bed!

Last edited by Tyranx; February 6th, 2007 at 04:12 AM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thank you scorge, corrick, and njoo.

Tyranx-thanks for the advice on atmospheric perspective; you need to make a tutorial that reveals your techniques sometime.
    As for the creature, I made a small image illustrating how it would eat. It's on the 75tons thread. It would dig for juice roots outta the ground and use its extremely long tongue to get the food into the mouth.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I would need five voting tickets for this. too much good art.
    voted navarrot, its not the best creaturedesign maybe but such a cool feel thoes spaceships and all the cinematic action is like full on dude.

others that would have gotten my vote, Njoo, MC, jakkas, MJ, and it goes on and on...

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Voted for VegasMike

I just love the design of it. And the one in the background, too.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    whoa! i got a vote? fed....you shouldn't have. really. you shouldn't have. lol!
    a tshirt, eh? who in God's name would wear that creature on a tee? yer smokin' sumthin...but if ya don't mind....can i take a drag? ha!
    tyranx...yer so funny. more movie posters!
    great round guys. it's a real treat to virtually know ya.
    d

cherryworx is offline red haired slacker of dubious origins Level 2 Gladiator: Ordinarii
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    VEGASMIKE- just spotted the crit you posted a few days ago, thanks for the input, i reckon i was still hung up about creating a new entry an think it suffered as a result, saying that tho i think i've got a similar problem on my dungeon cleaner, background is to textured an draws away from the beastie somewhat.

"Put Away those Fiery Biscuits!"

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    My vote went to Tyranax.

The main reason is because every time I fell across it again, I could actually feel my eyes dilate... The scale and mood realllly come across and I love the details versus silhouettes...it really created depth. i felt like I was being pulled into the imagery... Also love the water sprays...it really gives a feeling of action as if someone took a snap at the last possible second before running away.

It was a VERY difficult choice...there were so many wonderful entries! Longshao: they are massive and majestic...I also LOVE the texture.

Jakkas: Those colors are gorgeous....I coudl wish there was more on teh body though.

Chuckmate: Interesting persepctive and the details on the head are incredible. I would have liked to have seen that kind of detail in other locations on the creature. I think it would have helped him stand out a little more from the background.

MikeC: That's just hilarious! I'm almost afraid to ask how much a side of ham goes for...

MJ: I can't tell you how much I've seen you improve since I started visiting this thrread. Your work is getting more and more detailed and complexe and it's always a pleasure to see what unnique twist you'll put to a new subject...

Rabid Peanut: I love the massiveness of the creature and the rendering is really nice. I just find that the background you put him on and the text distracts from your wonderful concept.

VegasMike: That head is gorgeous. I really like the serenity of the piece...the creatures are massive, majestic and believable. Also lovely palette choice and beautiful rendering.

Red: I really like the scratchboard quality of your entry...there's a lot of little details and it was fun going over the entire thing a section at a time to see what you were doing...

All these entries made it soooo hard!

Excellent work guys!

Shannon Rochon
    Illustration/Graphics
    http://www.shaart.com

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks to everyone who gave me feedback and extra special thanks to those who voted for me!

TyranxThanks for the crit and input...I'm familiar with your website and all your stunning work...Its an honor to learn from you and all the other amazing artists on this site.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey Guys. Thanks to everyone who gave me critsa and voted for me. I have to agree with you. Once again my creature looks like it was made from the wood...hehe...sometimes it looks so stiff...I am working on that but...well....not always u can do something correct...anyway, thank you for the crits.

Btw, I have vote for Tyranx but I also could vote for MikeC, Muttonhead, VegasMike or njoo. Love ur works guys. It also pity that Hurris' entry wasn't taken to the poll. It was my favorite too. Sorry Fozz hehe...I know that you are a keeper of this dungeon ..and I respect ur decision, but you have to agree that it was a cool piece

..and...congratulation Tyranx

Cheers
    Kuba

Last edited by JakkaS; February 11th, 2007 at 04:37 AM.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.