a freaki mixing palette?!?!?!

Join 500,000+ Artists

Its' free and it takes less than 10 seconds!

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Talking a freaki mixing palette?!?!?!

I'm shopping around for a new computer now, plan on getting one soon; which naturally means I'll be getting Painter soon too!
    I thought I read that Painter 8 has a mixing pallette in the program? What exactly is it like? Is it accurate to how colors would mix in real life?
    I'm practicing on my color mixing (goin through the book "Blue and Yellow Don't Make Green"). Now, I suppose that mixing on a computer will not replace mixing on a real pallette, but I was thinking that it could still get me started off with a basic idea. Or if I feel like mixing, but don't have much time, I could just do it on the computer instead of pulling out the paints.
    Now, is it possible to have a bunch of "tube" colors that I predefine, and then mix based upon those? If so, that could be reeeaally cool. If that were possible, and the colors produced were like that in real life, I could just sit there and mix around various colors all the time, just to get a feel for how color mixing goes, heh.
    thanks for any responses

--Keith
    www.lynxerror.com/~spear
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,198 Times in 254 Posts
    Follows
    Following

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    If you have Painter 6 or Painter 7, you can already mix colors. Find a brush variant that has blending characteristics, then fine tune it by adjusting the Brush Controls palette Well section's Resat and Bleed sliders.

Or create your own brush variant to do it.

Cyan and yellow make green in Painter (RGB).

Nothing magic about the Painter 8 Mixer as far as I can see, and I don't use it either. Just another palette to take up space.

Some people think it's the cat's meow, though. (???)

Please do not PM me with Painter questions. Instead, post them here where everyone can benefit from them. Thanks!

Jinny Brown
    Visit PixelAlley.com
    and The PainterFactory

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

thanks

hey guys, thanks for the responses.
    That sucks that it doesn't mix like real paints.
    I don't know how hard this would be (don't need anything unneeded taking up more RAM, ya know). . . but, they should figure out a way to make the mixing more natural. They could do it using the RYB; if they had a bunch of 'paints' in a list, say the top 50 most popular paint colors. Then each 'paint' had its own reflectance curve; and when mixing it would produce a new color based on the mixing of the reflectance curves, like how real paint works. We think subtractively, but the paint mixture is additave... So, have the program do the math additavely and create the new color in that manner. (I don't know if what I'm saying makes sense to others?)
    Of course digital artists might find this to be stupid; but, I'm sure that fine artists would love being able to mix on their digital palette and have it respond exactly as their real one would. After all, when doing a study for a finished painting, the artist could know exactly what paints he's using.
    Then again, writing all of that and programming it, and then thinkin of how much RAM it'd take up... i dunno if that'd be worth it. It sounds like a cool idea to myself though.

edit> does it already work this way? i'd think not, if blue and yellow don't make green as they do on a real palette.

Last edited by Patton Art; July 11th, 2003 at 03:57 PM.
    --Keith
    www.lynxerror.com/~spear

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Am I the only one that finds the palette useful....

It really helps when using washes or low opacity paints since you can't get the origininal colour with the eydropper and most of us don't always note the exact colour when choosing it from the mixer...

You can mimic the same effect by painting some opaque paint in an unused section of your picture - but the mixer is inconvienient....

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    kayosiii: I am on your side. For me it has been the best improvement in Painter 8. Now all my pictures have that tonal mixture that lacked of before, thanks to the mixer.
    I really love it (in fact I do not use anymore the colour wheel+triangle).

What still bothers is that it is a "light colour" mixer, special for computers. I mean, it follows the RGB-CYMK scheme instead of the traditional fine arts RYB.

So, if you mix blue and red you get something strange instead of violet. But I guess it is really hard to code the substractive colour model instead of the additive one.
    In fact I suggested it while the beta testing phase but it was denied

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

-

I totally disagree with davi on that. This is a perfect (yes I said perfect) recreation of mixing paint. I am totally amazed by it. An dyou can actually mess with it to change the background, choose your own colors, and thus recreate the palette of any artists.
    BTW is it possible to find somewhere the RGB values for pure oil colors (from the tube)? Like what is a venetian red RGB value? That would be awesome.

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.