Sketchbook: Morty's Sketchbook, Updates almost never. - Page 3
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Did this today. Had a wonderful surfing/sailing/beachvolleyball-day today with my class, btw. First one is a thing made for a simplistic game, where I have a group in. (Nightwatch (Name of our group) It's a Zombie game.. The rest is utter rubbish. Oh well. Will I ever learn. Nothing of it is referenced, all drawn from my mindless mind. The second one is reeeeally bad (Hilariously bad, oh well)...

Cheerio
    Morty, I guess.

Indeed, I'm the only member who got his avatar from google, and didn't draw it himself. Oh well.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Wow, third page already. Didn't have that much critique-givers, wich makes me sad because I'm working every day for it, as hard as any other here, and receive only a little bit of feedback (A lot of thanks for those who replied, and even replied again, though!) but I also already expected it to happen, because I'm a beginning artist and not all that good, I'm not here all that long, and I don't make very interesting/inspiring art. Also, the others might've got other things on their minds, like replying to more popular topics/trying to draw themselves. I just say I expected a bit more. so.. I'll just keep on posting stuff.. Hrmgrrm.

Cheerio

Edit: Aghh, what am I ranting. And who am I to rant? I don't even comment on that much topics myself, also.

Last edited by Morthrong Eterech; September 7th, 2007 at 11:00 AM. Reason: Oh well.
    Indeed, I'm the only member who got his avatar from google, and didn't draw it himself. Oh well.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Stupid stuff. Head of 2nd character is too small, or the breasts are too large. In my opinion, breasts can never be too large, so, the head is way too small. Yay.. Also, proportions are WRONGISH!

No ref used.
    Cheerio

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Morthrong Eterech View Post
    Wow, third page already. Didn't have that much critique-givers, wich makes me sad because I'm working every day for it, as hard as any other here, and receive only a little bit of feedback (A lot of thanks for those who replied, and even replied again, though!) but I also already expected it to happen, because I'm a beginning artist and not all that good, I'm not here all that long, and I don't make very interesting/inspiring art. Also, the others might've got other things on their minds, like replying to more popular topics/trying to draw themselves. I just say I expected a bit more. so.. I'll just keep on posting stuff.. Hrmgrrm.

Edit: Aghh, what am I ranting. And who am I to rant? I don't even comment on that much topics myself, also.
    Hi Morthrong.
    Ranting is okay , sometimes.. Do you think you need critique very badly? I think you are at a point where you know what you need to do to get better, which is, basically, work hard and draw a lot of referenced anatomy studies/ still lifes, ect. And you are doing this (well, I'd like to see more still lifes from you, but I know you are practicing anatomy). The more you draw and understand anatomy the easier it will become for you to realise what you are doing wrong and how you can do it right.

So, my point is, there isn't that much critique anyone can give you right now. You already are working hard, drawing all the time, doing studies. I wish you were doing more studies.. but I know how hard it can be at times to concentrate on them. I beleive Rhineville once said something like, "Don't measure your progress in days.. measure it in months or even years..As long as you can look back on your work of several months ago, and say "i've improved", than you are fine." .. Well, something like that.. anyway, he was very correct. You are improving , and , if you continue to draw at this pace, you will continue improving.

Besides.. I've always thought sketchbooks were more for their creators than the others who look at them.. I think it matters more to fill up your sketchbook with drawings than to get tons of comments from people saying things like "You need to work on anatomy more", "Wow, thats awesome!", "I like your style.", ect..

Anyway..
    I've noticed that , on your profile pictures you are repeatedly ommiting the back of the skull from the head. I know that you have Peck's Atlas of Human Anatomy for the Artist.. even if you already have, read over pages 10-13... and study the skull diagrams and remember the names of the bones.. I think it will help you. Even if you've already read it, read it again , because it looks like you need it.

Good luck.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    just keep up the work bro, when you draw a face or body or whatever, just check all of the proportions, withe rules, like 7-8 heads tall, eyes halfway up the head etc... and anything that repeatedly show up in error, just draw it with the proportions in mind, until you get it right
    -jedininja
    ps, oh and a tip to getting more posts, is to post a lot in other peoples SB, and be sincere and they will most likey return the favor
    -jedininja

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Red face

Quote Originally Posted by FleetingShadow View Post
    Hi Morthrong.
    Ranting is okay , sometimes.. Do you think you need critique very badly? I think you are at a point where you know what you need to do to get better, which is, basically, work hard and draw a lot of referenced anatomy studies/ still lifes, ect. And you are doing this (well, I'd like to see more still lifes from you, but I know you are practicing anatomy). The more you draw and understand anatomy the easier it will become for you to realise what you are doing wrong and how you can do it right.

So, my point is, there isn't that much critique anyone can give you right now. You already are working hard, drawing all the time, doing studies. I wish you were doing more studies.. but I know how hard it can be at times to concentrate on them. I beleive Rhineville once said something like, "Don't measure your progress in days.. measure it in months or even years..As long as you can look back on your work of several months ago, and say "i've improved", than you are fine." .. Well, something like that.. anyway, he was very correct. You are improving , and , if you continue to draw at this pace, you will continue improving.

Besides.. I've always thought sketchbooks were more for their creators than the others who look at them.. I think it matters more to fill up your sketchbook with drawings than to get tons of comments from people saying things like "You need to work on anatomy more", "Wow, thats awesome!", "I like your style.", ect..

Anyway..
    I've noticed that , on your profile pictures you are repeatedly ommiting the back of the skull from the head. I know that you have Peck's Atlas of Human Anatomy for the Artist.. even if you already have, read over pages 10-13... and study the skull diagrams and remember the names of the bones.. I think it will help you. Even if you've already read it, read it again , because it looks like you need it.

Good luck.

Thanks for putting me back on trail, man. I thought a long time over what you said, and I think you're right. I first always also got the feeling sketchbooks were more for the creator, (and I felt the critique-givers were more like visitors with handy tips, or something), but I heard Conceptart wasn't like Deviantart; people only saying 'Wow, you're good' or 'Scary..' or things like that, I heard they really gave much critique to improve. I was dissapointed at first, but I now know I overexpected (?) it a bit, and I also know you're right about that they can't give me any more critique, because most of the things that had to be said, is already said. I just now have to bring it into practice, and practice more. Thanks again, mate (I Could be still wrong about some things in this post, though) And about the skull-part, I indeed do it wrong a lot. The arty-farty people or faces I draw with charcoal, Siberian Crayon or pastels are mostly just straight out of hand, and not caring about anatomy -- however, I do it also on study-drawings, so.. you're right I should practice that more. I also saw that I had to practice hands. I can't draw hands properly yet. I'll also do more studies -- if I can find the time for it, of course, because we have lots of homework on school again. And, the best success wished to you, too!

Cheerio

Aila is offline More Imagination than Skill Level 5 Gladiator: Myrmillo
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I agree with FleetingShadow ^_^
    Also! Don't say your drawings aren't interesting or inspiring, cos they are, or so I find. You have your own unique style also, which I find great.

Anyway, I myself can't give much crits on anatomy, as I am still learning myself But I was looking at that drawing of the dragon, and I like it! And it made me think of something I heard while watching some documentaries on the concept art of 'Eragon'.. more specifically, the dragon. There they avoided making the scales all one size, but varied it. Thought it was interesting, maybe try it out! ^_^

Success to you and your studies anyway.

Insanity is the key!
    Also, studies are a key. And passion is a key. Also, so are inspiration, motivation and dedication. Talent can be a key. Insomnia can also be a key, depression is a sad rusty little key. Damn, artists need one hell of a keyring.

Current Sketchbook

My little webspace

My Old CA Sketchbook

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks, Aila

Here's some stuff. Skulls are referenced, and the drawing of the naked woman is only reffed from head to breasts.

Cheerio

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Unreffed.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    A comment I received on this drawing on DA:

Hmm nice.
    Just to point out something that seems to be there in all your drawings, you've got some major talent and you're good at making things look good.. but the proportions are pretty far off.
    The girl in the middle has very short legs, and this makes her appear frumpy (which is something you seem to do a lot) it may be what you're going for though as it is a fantasy drawing. And the girl on the right seems good from the breasts up but something seems wrong with the rest of her torso. I think the stomach should stick out a bit more and cause more of a curve on (her) right side, and the rib placement is unrealistic. Of course since she is to be skinny her stomach might not stick out more, it should be smoother over there anyway, and the hips should stick out and be more prominant.Her elbow looks odd too but I think that's just because of the markings you've got in there which were probably just to help lay it out.
    Hate to tear apart errors, I mean, this drawing has a lot of good points too, but mindless praise doesn't help anything.

He's right. My reply:

Thanks a lot for the critics, man, I can do a lot with them. You're right about pretty much everything, also. I'm still practicing anatomy, sometimes reffed, sometimes not, and see if I can improve by slowly taking away the references, and see if I can do without them. If not, I try again. I should study actually all bodyparts, maybe; I have trouble with legs, arms, hands, and indeed the torso - I always forget how it should and shouldn't be. Thanks again for the critique, I appreciate it, and I hope I can learn from it.

Here's more unreferenced/referenced work/stuff.

The female torso is again done.. Rubbishly. Crappily. Junkily. Garbagily.

Cheerio

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Wrongish stuff.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    All drawn from life.

Edit: Err, I mean, parts of it. I don't have a female or goblin face, you know.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Some crappy stuff.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Good on your for doing life studies, they look good! Eyes are fascinating I find.. try to see how you can change the emotion by drawing the eyes different shapes ^_^ Oh and try adding light reflex too keep it up!

Insanity is the key!
    Also, studies are a key. And passion is a key. Also, so are inspiration, motivation and dedication. Talent can be a key. Insomnia can also be a key, depression is a sad rusty little key. Damn, artists need one hell of a keyring.

Current Sketchbook

My little webspace

My Old CA Sketchbook

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Yeah, I should do more eye-studies and such. I'm keeping up life studies also, indeed. The proportions of those drawings
    aren't always proper (I mean, good..), but what did you expect. :p Thanks for commenting again. I think I'll be doing totally new stuff, walking on the unchartered terrain of various new life studies from either objects or people and environments I see, with a few new techniques, maybe, also. Anyways, I hope I can do something refreshing.

But first: pulp and fiction.

Argh, I always draw eyes too big if I start the drawing with the eyes (See first sketch, wich indeed has eyes wich are too big). I guess I'll have to keep doing those so-called 'pre-lines' for the face, before drawing it, so everything fits and is in perfect proportion.
    The zombiedrawing-thing sucks also, btw. Just so you know.
    (The head is too long as always [Gaunt, not-normal looking], bad proportioned and what not.. mouth to far away from the nose.. Anyways, I just drew it for the feeling of the drawing, not the good proportions, as I mostly do with drawings at these)

I'm currently busy with an international challenge in the Netherlands, where I have to make drawings for, under the theme 'Secret'. So that might take a while.

Cheerio
    Morty, who else.

Last edited by Morthrong Eterech; September 27th, 2007 at 09:56 AM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Some stuff I did these few days. I'll get back on trail of pencil after this.

(Terrible, terrible..)

(Heh, I said I was going to do some more refreshing, and totally-new-for-me artwork, but I pretty much screwed up)
    (Btw, Haven't done homework in ages. Nooooo!)

Cheerio
    Morty.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Today + Yesterday, referenced from myself + Imagination, and some stuff unreferenced (The travestite-like woman, for instance).

Cheerio
    Morty.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    hi there, just thought I'd drop by again ^_^
    are those last sketches from life? The purple pen guys at desks, I mean. Good idea, keep that up I think you tend to exaggerate a little on muscles etc - which is fine for fantasy based characters (esp. heroes) but try to tone it down a little for 'normal' people ^^ But the last ones are looking better on that aspect.

Also, love this drawing ^^ http://i116.photobucket.com/albums/o...nnen0054-3.jpg

Insanity is the key!

Current Sketchbook

My little webspace

My Old CA Sketchbook

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks Aila, and yes, those pen drawings are drawn from life. I always get bored in my class, so..
    Anyways, I'll try not to exaggerate on muscles anymore.. Btw, drawing from life really helps ^^

Here's a vid I quickly made with a few good (and bad, anatomic'ly incorrect) drawings from now and long ago.
    If an image says 'Photobucket', then the link to the image didn't work, or sort.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Not my favourite stuff. Did them today.

Cheerio
    Morty.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    The first one is actually as bad drawn as I drew in the past. All went wrong.

Last edited by Morthrong Eterech; October 16th, 2007 at 04:57 AM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    More stuff will be coming. However, I'm in a really hard drawing time these days, lots of stuff on my mind.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Argh, couldn't find my thread back for a few days, and 'search' didn't help either. Oh well.

Stuff. Kinda bad anatomy, still.

Cheerio
    Morty.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Yo fellow dutchie
    Good to see ur seriously into drawing at this age already! keep up the life studies, they look lively and good proportions and stuff. in a while u will probably notice ur gonna make better imagination drawings as well! if u go on with this, ull be a great artist in a few years...

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks a lot, mate

However, I'm totally 'uninspirated' these days, so I hope to be back on track soon.

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.