Sketchbook: The Junkyard :Warning...Stinky Material!!! - Page 10
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Page 10 of 13 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 LastLast
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Some extremely great environments here! Keep pushing

Work hard, anything is possible. I know, I know, it’s a very cheesy response but it’s true. Hard work and dedication is the key to reach your dreams. -Bjørn Hurri

Website
    CA Sketchbook
    Facebook Page
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Hive_minD For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Yes man! Post moar! =]

"Even a stopped clock, gets the right time twice a day."
    >>My Sketchbook<<
    >>My Homepage<<

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Hyptosis For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    ahahaha you improved tonns. no crit. just want to see more!

C&C welcome
    http://www.conceptart.org/forums/sho...=84532&page=10

'Iam what Iam' - Popeye The Sailor Man

6. The Following User Says Thank You to AK86 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    great environments! i love the colors in the landscapes =)
    it´s nice to see your improvement, keep it up!

8. The Following User Says Thank You to pepps For This Useful Post:

kidult is offline Does this sketch make my ass look fat? Level 12 Gladiator: Laqueatores
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Nice enviros!

10. The Following User Says Thank You to kidult For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Joey-b- Thanks and it's good to see you back in action man.
    Hive_minD will do, thank you
    Hyptosis I know I know...I'm working on it
    AK86 More there shall be.
    pepps- Ah thanks man for nice words
    kidult Thanks

Been meaning to update this...kept getting sidetracked from school...one more semester...gotta push through it.

Did some quick doodles...I got a ton more of thumbnail studies I gotta get scanned. Slapped alittle coloring in ps.

Name:  2.jpg
Views: 315
Size:  168.5 KB
    Name:  1.jpg
Views: 312
Size:  188.7 KB

older doodle in class...

Name:  3.jpg
Views: 304
Size:  146.0 KB

You might notice this tree on my first page. it's one of my favorites tree's at the campus I go to so I did a quick study of it in my pocket sketchbook.

Name:  4.jpg
Views: 307
Size:  198.8 KB

Finished pieces and steps

Name:  steps-dwellings.jpg
Views: 342
Size:  426.4 KB
    Name:  Autumn_Dwellings_by_TheTrashCaretaker.jpg
Views: 337
Size:  504.7 KB
    Name:  steps.jpg
Views: 341
Size:  265.3 KB
    Name:  The_Way_to_The_Temple_by_Th.jpg
Views: 336
Size:  267.1 KB
    Name:  idw-90-trashy.jpg
Views: 344
Size:  213.7 KB

Quick haphazard studies...

Name:  cl.jpg
Views: 314
Size:  44.8 KB
    Name:  cl2.jpg
Views: 310
Size:  64.0 KB

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Nice landscapes you got going. I think it would add alot more depth to you're artwork if you use the tricks of atmospheric perspective, as well as using colour to separate foreground from background.
    For example in your treehouse/bridge piece you ahve made the treehouse as satuarted and pretty much the same colour as the foreground grass. it would add more depth if the treehouse was bluer because it seems to be getting misty from the water below.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Cam Sykes For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Yeah, massive update!

Yummy brushwork, man. Nice and choppy, with a lot of hatching (whether manually achieved or brush-made, it's great). Your enviros and clouds are so nice. Very inspiring stuff. You make me want to paint clouds and trees every time I come here.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to staticpen For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    bookmarked this thread... sweet environment-work, thanks for the inspiration,
    stuff like this make me want to learn digital drawing. cheers!

17. The Following User Says Thank You to rattus For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    @CamSyko- Thank you man and you really touch on a great point with the atmospheric perspective and saturation. Really appreciate that critique and a great pointer to consider for all the other pieces I do.

@staticpen- Tree's and clouds are so cool and fun. I love em! Dude man you are tearing it up in you sketchbook also. Thanks for always stopping by

@rattus Thanks man

So getting my ish together again today and setting up a weekly planner. I'm gonna start going by the golden rule and giving myself itleast three hours to do drawings everyday. It's go time for me. No if's or buts and using college as a excuse not to stay on top of my drawings and paintings anymore. Must...overcome!

Anyway I'm gonna get more chatty on here. I'm gonna try to explain a little bit more how I go about doing stuff now.

So real diversion from me the last couple of weeks. I wanted to walk away from the screen and get back down to the nitty-gritty basics again. I've been taking a oil painting class offered at my college and I've been slowly getting into the groove of it. I discovered on the way though that I don't react to well to the oder-less turbentine or thinners. I already have a bad allergy problem in Tucson but last week I got pummeled hardcore by it. Worst I ever had it in years. Stuffy head, severe sore through, crap in my chest...it sucked!!! I think Tucson hates me sometimes. Never had allergies in New Jersey.

I'm still slightly confused with what I need and don't need. I ordered Walnut oil and and walnut alkyd medium and they are my best friends right now with the oils. No toxins or sniffles and the last painting I did using the two things had a pretty good result I thought. It doesn't seem like I would need anything else. I don't like going by any of the methods or materials that have chemicals so I'm sorta looking at old school methods. More environment friendly and green. Anywho if there are oil painters here any advice on stuff to try out would be neat and appreciated. I still consider myself a newbie to this but it is refreshing.

So I found out with the Walnut Alkyd medium that it's also good to use to clean your brushes with. I had a extra bottle of it and it does take most of the oils off the brushes. A little soap a water does the rest of the trick of making your brushes nice and clean. Walnut Alkyd is great with drying. I was shocked to find one of my oil paintings dry the day after using it.

I'm also rediscovering how weak I am at working big. I'm okay drawing big but when it comes to painting big with oils are acrylics...gah...I always run into walls. I really like working at small sizes. I seem to be able to really detail things more comfortably around like 11x17 on 13x19 or smaller. I feel like I can push around the paint better and also faster. When I get to sizes in 18x24 I think I get impatient trying to speed up things and I end up getting a mesh in the long run. Oddly enough this isn't the case with watercolors and inks though. I always like working with watercolors or inks on any sizes. So something to look into there.

So before I go the walnut oil and alkyd medium this was one of my first oil paintings...a onion. I do really like how you can thin the oils so they almost act like watercolors. The painting looked alright when it was still wet...it looks dull now that it dryed out.

Views: 258
Size:  182.9 KB
Views: 253
Size:  254.1 KB

After that I did a apple study using only the walnut oil and walnut alkyd medium. I thought this was a way better attempt.

Views: 258
Size:  335.9 KB
    Name:  apple.jpg
Views: 255
Size:  327.7 KB

So both of these guys I did on watercolor paper 12x18 with a layer of gesso.
    Got my next still-life set up for this weekend.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey man, nice work on the oils, i just started acrylics and i also love how it can be thinned to almost like water color, funny..

now give us more! .. (ow and why did u not do the great wall EOW.. it was ur own choice ;"( )

btw.. my new tablet is great!, i think it really helps me to draw more accurate on the computer.. my A6 tablet was awfull for drawing, thanks for visiting my SB

20. The Following User Says Thank You to Joey-b For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey Joey glad to hear that the new tablet is working. Acrylics are cool man!

Yeah I know that's ghetto that I didn't get to participate in my own topic I suggested. I just let school and allergies burn me the last couple of days. I often let school work get in my way but that's a crappy excuse so I'm changing that. I can make plenty of time for those activities really. How come the poll isn't up yet? Anywho I was going to poke my head in when it's up. They did some cool pieces there.

So I'm trying to wrap up two more pieces that I had sketched for awhile. I wanted to do a ship illustration and one more sci-fi illustration.

couple thumbnail and quick sketches. I love those prismacolors markers. Last post I was talking about how I hate smelly stuff most of the time...but I love the smell of those markers. Anyway messing around with them and pen.

Views: 235
Size:  329.7 KB

This other piece I had on the back-burner. I didn't save too many steps on this one. I learned that fog is really cool. I'm learning if you do it right the dodge and burn are great. I always made it a point to literally avoid those tools for awhile in ps.

So yeah once I get those two others done I want to start doing more quick studies again. It's good in all to do more completed works but I need to do faster works also and get speedier as well. I've been neglecting some character and anatomy work also. I got my Hogarth books out again

Views: 239
Size:  468.0 KB

Name:  into-the-unknown.jpg
Views: 254
Size:  478.1 KB

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks for checking the SB out, i appreciate it. I really like the tree studies, and there is a lot of interesting creative stuff in here. I think the figures and head studies could use some work in portion and perspective, but those are hard and take time and practice. so keep it up. Try to avoid straightening of figures that are at a diagonal 3/4 view, and squint for value. very enjoyable sketchbook.

23. The Following User Says Thank You to michaeljared For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    hey, cool updates mate.
    great to see some traditional paints in here. makes me want to try myself.
    maybe it's just the photo but I think the onion could benefit from some more bright and saturated colors. anyway a really good start again.
    and really cool last scene. the water looks a bit solid but really nice mood and colors.
    keep sharing! oh and I think I've said it before but I loove how you paint clouds.

25. The Following User Says Thank You to monotony For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    @michaeljared- Thanks for coming by also man. I loved your work man. Good pointers on the figures. I know a lot of my figures can come as stiff sometimes and that straightening.

@monotony- cool to see you back here. Traditional paints are fun man, I highly recommend them. You right about the onion...it doesn't pop...not nearly as much like the apple. It's dried now so I might go back in to add more to it. I loves clouds man, glad you like them also. I gotta stop by your sb also...your work is getting sick man!

So took out some books again. I think I have made a little jump in my environment pieces. I'm feeling better about them but my figures still need serious work and so do the critters. Anyway I made some observations because with the environments I didn't really study too much from books on how-to-methods or ways to draw the environment. I studied more from real life and photography books like national geographic and watched some videos on painting environments. I was able to pick up on watching others paint more then say reading step by step methods in books. Then I did a lot of pieces from my imagination. I still pretty much do environment study everyday day also. So that means get people in the sketchbook everyday also. I think I learned more also by looking at just really amazing work and trying to figure out how they worked.

Anyway the Hogarth and Loomis are all cool but I think I have a different way of learning then from looking at written material and step by step illustrations. So gonna start drawing more people at my campus and get my head around this stuff and find my own methods and start drawing them from imagination also. I want to change things up and try different things.

So I got the ship designed narrowed down. Gonna start the illustration on that tonight when I get back from my oil painting class. I think the next couple weeks I'm gonna work late nights. I like working at night for some weird reason.

These are studies I forgot to post. Did these pretty loosely with the pen.

Views: 209
Size:  320.1 KB

Did some doodling last night with wash and pen. This was pretty fun, I'm totally going to do more of these.

Views: 212
Size:  501.1 KB

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I don't have time to catch up on all the writing you put down, but I'll save the page and read it all when I get home. Really great images, man! I'm a huge fan of funny-looking robots... heheheh.

28. The Following User Says Thank You to staticpen For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    nice stuff dude. a suggestion, throw your environments into black and white for a sec while painting, your atmospheric perspective could be pushed further, ie your sky may be a little too dark and shapes iin the distant are often too dark for their position.

great stuff, hope for more!

30. The Following User Says Thank You to Eytan For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Great sketchbook, you have a very nice style! I really like the marker sketches on the top of the page. Keep it up!

SSG: Knarf - BRINKMAN! - crabbyclem - eminkey2003 - Mumph

"Failure is an option, fear is not."

32. The Following User Says Thank You to Mumph For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    staticpen , Quick_Sketch, Mumph - Thank you guys for the comments

Yay...got more things to post today. Man I gotta cram to get the creature of the week done...yikes.

Oh yeah here is the stuff recently I did for idw and the current cow still in progress.

Name:  ship-steps.jpg
Views: 197
Size:  236.3 KB

Name:  ship-final.jpg
Views: 208
Size:  184.7 KB

Name:  sketch.jpg
Views: 187
Size:  271.4 KB

Name:  cow135-trashy.jpg
Views: 192
Size:  154.3 KB

Last edited by Trashy; August 1st, 2009 at 04:37 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Ah, I totally know what you're going through, man. I move around a lot, and I've never really had the opportunity to draw or paint with anyone. I've kind of been on my own, self taught for pretty much my whole life. All the inspiration and drive to keep going is either internal or forums like this one.
    Also, I'm kind of deciding between two things similar to what's on your mind... California (which is my home state) and all the awesome work for artists there, or Portland, which is where my most loved people are. The thing is, for me, happiness is more about people and love than art, so picking art and California is kind of like the 'money' side of the equation for me.
    But yeah, I don't want to go on and on about this in your thread. I've basically worked something out where I can do some Portland stuff and then eventually move down to California. I think for people like you and me, it's worth it to take that shot, as you were saying, to kind of go for something that pushes you a little bit. Keeps you on the edge a little bit, or out of your comfort zone. Comfort zones are for naps. If you sit there too long you end up hibernating, no? We've got to get out there!

Great stuff, mate.

35. The Following User Says Thank You to staticpen For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks Staticpen,

I totally agree true happiness is more about people and love than art. I agree with the rule family comes first also first and foremost. I was just talking about being happy with what you do and what you you really really want to do as a artist. The thing is I do know talented people here but I've also heard how a lot of them get lulled into graphic design because there aren't other options for them and all there creative talents just go out the door here. The main reason why I want to go to California is get my feet wet...who knows though...I'm sending out applications though to people in Boston also. I'm really open to going anywhere, I just want more experience. I want to understand how the studious work that sorta thing. My heart lies on the East Coast though. I was born in New Jersey and always loved the ocean there
    Almost all my relatives are there also. I've come to the conclusion I'm probably going to travel a lot. It's a uphill climb for everyone really and will take time. I think in the long run though I'll settle on the East Coast. There something about spot's especially like Ocean City...that place is just majestic and I have so many memories there as a kid. But yeah it's tricky, there are plenty of things you gotta think about and work out. I sorta talked about this with my close friends at college also sometimes.

haha...yeah I just go on sometimes. I'm been pretty sick lately so that gets me riled up and I ramble haha. Allergies are destroying me this year.

Ah thanks man

I'm working my fingers too much with the typing. Time to start working those paint strokes!
    So not done yet but I didn't make the deadline on the COW but I'm gonna wrap this up today. I'm messing around with painter again for the heck of it.

Views: 186
Size:  254.5 KB

Last edited by Trashy; March 9th, 2009 at 08:04 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Cow done...next time just gotta get it in on the time date

Name:  critter2.jpg
Views: 184
Size:  353.6 KB

Last edited by Trashy; March 9th, 2009 at 07:59 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    awesome still lifes man! i should do some of those myself...
    you´ve done some fine progress since page one dude!

39. The Following User Says Thank You to Flaskpost For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Enjoy your conepts and still lifes, they have progressed a lot.

41. The Following User Says Thank You to Pipkin For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Trashman! Funkadelic.

My site:
    http://thecentersphere.yolasite.com/

DA:
    http://halfshavenbananas.deviantart.com/

New World Creation: Designers Wanted – Environment of the Week

43. The Following User Says Thank You to Vulgar` For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Flaskpost- Thank you! Still life's are the best man, I gotta get itleast one under the belt this week too.
    Pipkin- Thanks for coming by man and for the nice words

Hey Vulgar` thanks for stopping by again. I'll keep the funk coming this way

Sketch dump today from me. I got 20 pages left in my Moleskine pocket Journal! I'm so happy it's my first fully completed sketchbook in awhile. Gonna load it and finish it this week. Doing some tree sketches at the park again and I got some portrait action heading this way. Portrait painting and drawing from me starting every week now!

Name:  sketches.jpg
Views: 143
Size:  516.3 KB

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Man, your trees are always so boss. Really should draw more trees, haha.
    But are you kidding mate? You're in love with the New Jersey ocean? hahaha. Aw, man. I've lived around there a couple times. had a roofing job once in New Jersey. Foreman was a surfer, so he brought his wetsuit along once and let me borrow it. The house we were roofing was right next to the ocean, so I went surfing on my lunch break. It was cold and miserable! Haha. But it sure made a good memory. Can't take that away.
    But yeah, Boston would be a sweet place to work. I really like it up there. Lived in Wareham once, which isn't too, too far south from there.

But anyway, yeah dude. I know what you mean about getting your feet wet. I've been reading On The Road, and it's really making me want to take chances and just hit the road for Portland (big surprise, haha).

Sorry, don't let me go on and on here and take up your space!

Take it easy. Cheers.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks staticpen, tree's are so cool. I usually go around a park that's close by and sketch out the tree's there. It funny because I know I have alot of drawings of them...I think I should paint more also...okay jungle painting on the chopping block now

haha, I'm telling you man Ocean City NJ is the best beach ever...well okay...one of the better ones. Yeah honestly there are a couple beaches though in NJ that are sorta...dirty...dunno though I thought my legs were going to freeze in the pacific ocean in San Diego. I think it all falls down to the time of the seasons when you go to the beaches.

I hear Portland is quite beautiful man.

Thanks again staticpen

...Oh...back to tree's lol

I did two more

Name:  ItreeMG.jpg
Views: 135
Size:  114.5 KB

So I also got another piece for my portfolio completed. This one took me awhile to complete. I went back and forth with it and it finally clicked together. Got some breakdowns for it also.

Views: 171
Size:  435.2 KB

Name:  The-Glowings.jpg
Views: 164
Size:  468.3 KB

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Very nice works, i like your landscapes a lot! I want to start doing these too! I guess i have to ask you for some pointers

Keep them coming!

Thanks for the kind words on my sb!

48. The Following User Says Thank You to Ruivo For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks Ruivo for coming by. Yeah if you need any pointers let me know

Eh...just need to paint a whole lot of these. I know the anatomy is wonky still so gotta get some studies from life also. Gotta work on those values and lighting more. I think the thing that gets me is the plains in the face. It's a start though which counts. I need to get better at painting people, plain and simple. Think I need some self-portraits also.

Name:  14.jpg
Views: 123
Size:  304.2 KB

Last edited by Trashy; August 1st, 2009 at 04:37 PM.

Page 10 of 13 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 2