Page 7 of 35 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Mario: Thanks for the encouragement man! I am hoping you are right about my style, its been a work in progress thing for the last year.

Jes: 5? hmmm whatever do you mean
    For Science- Sketchbook!

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    I really like your shapes in the last two posts. The guy looking for a hug is my favorite the line workin the last post feel good too. It seems that you're not afraid to put something down; I totally have that problem sometimes and have noticed myself being afraid of the paper

Thanks
    It's always something new with each update, which is refreshing.

Thanks for this delicious eye-candy.

Thanks
    Hey there,
    at first I wanna say: This SB is awesome! You have a nice rendering style!
    And now I have a question:
    I really don't get how you render this: http://www.conceptart.org/forums/att...1&d=1185554867

Can you explain it to me or make a little How-to if you have time? Would be great!

Thanks
    Crimson 13. There are a couple of tricks to learning how to get good line quality. 1: Do blind contour drawings. Stare at your subject then draw every crevice and line in it without ever looking at your paper. 2. Draw Fast. Go to the mall or the park or something and draw people as they move, don't give yourself more than 15 sec to record a single gesture, don't give yourself time to fret about every line. 3. Decide before you draw, thats the one I am no good at, and the one that makes my stuff from life so much better than my stuff from my head. Decide what your line will be before you put it down, and when it is down let it lie. The best way to do this is to draw with a pen and force yourself to accept every line drawn as a separate and defining thing. GL and thanks for the kind words.

drd: Consistency is like eagles, we don't have either of them here . (Stolen from despair.com)

theQuill: Totally man, I will go into deeper detail about it later, but the essentials are do a line drawing first and let your line quality communicate your ambient occlusion information (Meaning if a surface is close to another surface make that line thicker and darker, if it is out on its own make it fainter or dont draw it at all) then draw a shadow line that describes what your shadow is doing when it intersects the light side of your subject. (ask yourself is this shadow describing a curved cast shadow, if so that line needs to be soft, so I draw it with the side of my pencil, is it a hard cast shadow, then I draw it in dark with my tip. Then the last thing I do is block in the remainder of the shadow as one flat value, don't trick yourself into thinking that shadows are rounded things, they aren't, they are flat. Block them in using the side of your pencil using the direction of your hatching to communicate the grain of the subject.

I should post a play-by-play of how I do a drawing like that since it will help me define my own style as well, but that is pretty much the long and the short of it.

that being said, enjoy some drawings of stuff that follow none of the rules that I just talked about .
    For Science- Sketchbook!

7. The Following User Says Thank You to ForScience For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    I think that fish is one of the best things in here. It isn't trying to be anything other than a fun personality in a fish. Some of this stuff is just worked over so hard that it doesn't look like you had any fun. Your strong work is about shape and line and fun.

so go have fun.

Thanks
    Yeah! Thank you so much! That was a really usefull post for me!
    Now I'm try'n to get some nice shapes and test it!
    Again THANKS!

Thanks
    here is a self portrait that I did in about an hour and a half for portrait day.
    For Science- Sketchbook!

Thanks
    looking good. You got some cool sketches there. Neat style.

Thanks
    Oh man the fishy makes me so happy, you should paint him up! Your painting looks great. I get a little lost on where to look but you have good strong shapes. You pushed the colors too; it doesn't feel flat. Keep it up!
    Last edited by crimson13; November 9th, 2007 at 04:02 PM.

Thanks
    I definatly agree on the fishy's awsomeness. However i also like the various other animals. Mostly you see people just doing studies of their dog or cat. It's great to see the variety here with whales, rhino, giraffes, and others.

i guess i was the only one that didn't know about self protrait day, haha!

Thanks

Revelations

I just got back from the Workshop. It is no exaggeration to say that I am coming home with a completely new perspective on life and art. I got some brutal but honest critiques from some professionals that I really respect. Their consensus was that my professional portfolio is treating art like a commodity rather than as my passion. Andrew Jones said that nothing is stopping me from being a superhero other than myself, and he is exactly right. I think I panicked when I reached adulthood and jumped to the conclusion that I couldn't be a good father and be a good artist at the same time. Well I think I was completely wrong; from hear on out I am dropping all fear of what the consequences may be. I am going to be a superhero.

that being said here are some of the images I brought that provoked the critique

A disclaimer about the "Meet the Robinsons" images, they are from a level that I worked on, but I was by no means the only hand that was involved in its production. The other images are a collaboration between my wife and I.
    For Science- Sketchbook!

Thanks
    I am designing a bust for the observatory, so thats what the sketches are for. The monsters are part of my 100 COW, thats about as far as I got with them.

Strifen/ Crimson13: Thanks guys, I am glad you like the fish. I don't really like it, my wife convinced me to post it, I just think that I don't understand fishy anatomy that well. But I went to the Seattle Aquarium while I was at the Workshop and got a ton of pictures so hopefully that will help.

Voxelfog: Thanks man. I will be more regular about keeping the thread updated
    For Science- Sketchbook!

Thanks
    Not a ton to say. Here is some stuffs
    For Science- Sketchbook!

Thanks
    going to be getting some paint on this asap
    For Science- Sketchbook!

Page 7 of 35 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 ... LastLast