Highschool Dropout wannabe concept artist

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Highschool Dropout wannabe concept artist

Hello, I dropped out of high school a couple of years ago.
    I've 'for most of my life' been in & out of drawing.

Recently, I've been trying to get into an art career.
    Also, I have been trying to find one right for me.
    About an hour ago, I stumbled across "concept art" and I think that's what I want to do.

Now, I want to get the skills and talent for it.
    I bought some books on drawing and creating graphic novels.
    I'm thinking about getting a GED, and going to a school that teaches concept art (and drawing, painting etc.).

Is it really necessary or practical for me to go to such a school?

If so, is there anything I need to know about getting into one?

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Thanked 16,675 Times in 5,021 Posts
    Follows
    Following

Necessary? No. Practical? Maybe. It depends on your financial situation, how self-motivated you are, what opportunities are available in your region (or if you are willing to move) etc etc etc.
    If you plan on going somewhere with a full degree program you'll probably have to get your GED and take the SAT (or ACT).

Browse around here some more, especially in this section, and a lot of your questions will probably be answered.

Tristan Elwell
    **Finished Work Thread **Process Thread **Edges Tutorial

Crash Course for Artists, Illustrators, and Cartoonists, NYC, the 2013 Edition!

"Work is more fun than fun."
    -John Cale

"Art is supposed to punch you in the brain, and it's supposed to stay punched."
    -Marc Maron

Thanks
    Thanked 1,441 Times in 259 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Hi jrb - there are a couple of links in my sig that may be of interest to you if you are investigating free educational resources. Good luck.

I think you are awesome, and I wish you the best in your endeavors, but I am tired of repeating myself, I am very busy with my new baby, and I am no longer a regular participant here, so please do not contact me to ask for advice on your career or education. All of the advice that I have to offer can already be found in the following links. Thank you.

Perspective 101, Concept Art 101, Games Industry info,Oil Paint info, Acrylic Paint info, my sketchbook.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    For starters finishing off that GED would be paramount. I have no idea what the circumstances are for you dropping out but it's a darn good time to pick it all up and start new.

Going to school isn't a bad idea. It's going to take some discipline to be in this competitive field. If you can muster college, that's just one part of the career.

You're going to have to really work hard to prove to someone you can handle the demands. Word of mouth isn't going to do it. You're going to have the discipline to get a portfolio together- whether it's through skilled instructors giving you assignments or you doing it on your own, it's got to be done in order to get even a sniff at a career.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by jrbrusseau
    Hello, I dropped out of high school a couple of years ago.
    I've 'for most of my life' been in & out of drawing.

Recently, I've been trying to get into an art career.
    Also, I have been trying to find one right for me.
    About an hour ago, I stumbled across "concept art" and I think that's what I want to do.

Now, I want to get the skills and talent for it.
    I bought some books on drawing and creating graphic novels.
    I'm thinking about getting a GED, and going to a school that teaches concept art (and drawing, painting etc.).

Hi jrbrusseau I understand where you are coming from since I dropped out of High school and got my Ged and it was quite a few years before I could attempt for art school . I will be entering Ringling as a sophmore illustration major in the fall. Right now I am attending a community college taking as many art classes as I can, which has helped me a great deal. Your local community college is something to consider just to get you back in the motions of going to class.

I agree with Dave on getting your Ged being important especially for entering a degree program but dedication and talent are both very important to getting into the field in and out of school. One thing though the more ideas you expose yourself to the more you have to influence your art, so even if you are going to a school you still have to motivate yourself. Hope this helps.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks everyone. It'll take awhile but I'll get it. (hopefully this month)

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I'm in a simular position as you man! Thing is I'm such a faddy person. A few months ago I wanted to be an industrial designer, now I want to be an illustrator. I know drawing has always been one of my stronger points, it's just trying to find a field in which I'm comfortable. I'm planning on going to uni in 2008 as a mature student (22 then!) to do a degree in illustration, and I'm doing my best to stick to that goal. I currently work full time and use what little free time I get to try and fill a sketchbook... I hope to build a strong portfolio by application date 2008 to get me in!
    I was onto a winner as a kid as far as drawing was concerned but I had a stale period for a few years when I got a computer... that took up all my time, and I did my creative thing on photoshop instead. Nowadays I'm pretty gutted that I did that and I'm trying to get back into drawing and develop a style.

Anyways, useless post to you I know, but I just thought I'd relate a little.

- Roo

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Definately get that GED, and then probably you should start at a Community/City College. You should be able to get into one, and then if you keep up a good GPA you should be able to transfer to another institution.

Beyond schooling, you're going to have to study and practice on your own. Schooling helps but it doesn't make artists by itself. If you aren't motivated to do this on your own then you won't make it.

Good luck!

Oh, and Roosketch, heh, I'm in the same boat as you. I'm 22 now and still kicking around at a community college.

I started out of high school at a state university, but I didn't know what the hell I wanted to do with my life so I dropped out after the first year, worked for scrappings for a couple years, and at some point I found myself back at the local city college.

My major changed with the seasons too. First Computer Science, then Philosophy, Physics, and then finally History (which I've been sticking with for a while, thank goodness!). Although now I'm finding myself really interested in art again, proving my inability to stick with one thing, argh!

I just figure if I keep working at a History degree and keep improving my art skills, I'll eventually be able to choose one of them for a career and the other will become my hobby.

-My work can be found at my local directory thread.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Well my girlfriend is going to uni in September, she's got interviews at two prestigious London uni's... UCL and The Cauthauld Institute of Art... and she's doing a course called: History of Art! Might be something to consider seeing as you like history, and you like art

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by jrbrusseau
    Thanks everyone. It'll take awhile but I'll get it. (hopefully this month)

Not everyone at school is 18-21 years of age. I wouldn't even worry about the time frame. Where I teach the average age on campus is 23, so it's not an issue about being the older guy on campus.

As long you have the drive & passion, just do it. You won't have any regrets for trying your best at least.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    If your main goal is to bcome an illustrator, animator or concept artist , a school like Max the Mutt (in Toronto) will take you just as far as any BA - BFA program. It will cost a lot less and the faculty, class size and quality of education is as good as anything I've seen in North America and better than most. The stress on traditional training BEFORE computer, and the emphasis on professionalism have meant success for our grads. Check the web site for yourself. Its very complete. The age range is very wide - from recent HS grads, to recent university grads and more mature individuals. Its a very international and interesting student body and faculty.

By the way, we also offer a Learn To Draw Intensive in July that runs 5 days a week for the full month and is a great way to develop a portfolio. The web site is www.maxthemutt.com.

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.